April 19, 2014 | 934 users online

Treatments - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2010 4:38:00 AM More reviews by StupidCupid4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using lemon juice on my skin 4 weeks ago, hoping that it would clear up some stubborn acne I've always had on my chin while lightening the scars in the area. My skin is really oily and acne-prone, though i really only get pimples on my chin and the occasional one on my cheeks or nose.

I prepare the juice by squeezing an entire lemon (quite time-consuming) and letting the juice go into a cup. I then pour the juice into an already prepared "strainer", which is a coffee filter placed inside a small colander and a bowl underneath to catch the juice. After letting it sit for a few hours, the juice is free of pulp (Important, as a clogged spray bottle is NOT easy to fix) and easily pours into a small spray bottle I'm using (It's actually an old LUSH Tea Tree Water bottle, which is great since it's made of black plastic and doesn't let any light in to spoil the juice.) I keep it in the fridge so the juice stays fresh and the cold spritz feels nice and refreshing :)

This juice lasts me a good week, I use it 2-3 times a day -- and sometimes in my hair since it's summer -- and don't bother rinsing it off. Sometimes the juice stings or itches a little, but the uncomfortable sensation goes away within a minute. Oh! Forgot to add that I upped my face sunblock SPF from 30 to 45 since starting with the lemon juice.

Now for the results:

Just need to point out that I decided to stop my Proactiv treatment cold turkey because after 5 years of use it wasn't nearly as effective anymore. So the lemon juice treatment was started literally the next day after stopping with Benzoyl Peroxide, which my skin does pretty well with. I wash my face with the green L'Oreal cleanser and scrublet in its place.

Anyhoo, my chin pimples started to flare up and I got a couple of little whiteheads on my face about the 2nd week into the treatment. This didn't really faze me, since I had a 2 month long purging period when I first started Proactiv, and waiting this time out yielded BEAUTIFUL results. So I vowed that I would always allow at least 2 months before swearing off a treatment for good. A month in, the lemon juice is definitely helping my skin -- not really with the oiliness, but it feels softer and dries pimples up immediately. No horrible zits or cysts have popped up since starting, either. As far as the red marks / scarring on my chin, I haven't noticed any sort of difference yet. I have yet to see the "miracle results" that many other MUA users have claimed to see, but I'm going to give it another month before I decide whether or not to continue. Also, about a week ago I introduced honey and aspirin masks into the picture, which I think may be helping in conjunction with the lemon.

Overall, lemon juice is cheap (3 lemons for a dollar!), easy, and natural. While cutting, juicing, and straining it can be time consuming, I like my little system I've got going on. Giving the juice 3 stars for now, since it seems to be helping but not miraculously. Will update in another month to see if things get better or worse!

P.S. -- Since I have lemons around my house all the time now, I've been adding a slice or two to my water glass a couple of times a day. I hear that lemon is supposed to be cleansing or something to that extent? Eh, I'll drink it for the taste alone!

***UPDATE:
2 months in, the rating will be staying at 3 lippies. Doesn't make my skin worse, but hasn't helped clear it fully either. I have noticed no change in scar discoloration on my chin. I think I just need to accept that my acne responds best to BP (I used Zapzyt cream over the lemon juice one day and it dried up most of my existing pimples.) I'll continue to use the treatment, as it is helping a little and is natural/affordable.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by sdk

i went through a time when i came back from holiday and had lost alottt of weight due to not eating that much and what i did eat wasnt very fattening... im the type of person that if i am not eating enough food and my weight drops my skin will break out and just get dull..
i had the most horrible skin of my life not even my teenage spots were ever this bad.. i had terrible skin it was unbeleivable it was like somone else's skin.. i searched online for lots of different ideas to getting my skin back to normal lemon juice was probably the only thing that helped!.. what lemon juice did for me was take the redness away from all the scarring and quite quickly aswell and something which i wasnt expecting is that it evened out my skin tone perfectly as i have slight pigmention arounf my mouth..
havent needed to use this ever since.. but what i do use is no7 p&p serum this is 'the' serum it takes away redness pigmentation and helps keep your skin smooth for days after exfoliating..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 7:52:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

DILUTED Lemon Juice is really amazing for oily/acne prone skin skin but I learned that the hard way! I tried rubbing half a lemon over my skin and boy oh boy was that a huge mistake! Please make sure you dilute this! I read online that ice helps to reduce pimples and I read on another website that lemon juice dries out pimples so I froze lemon water and put that on one of my pimple it worked quite well but not as well as TTO or BP/SA. (I learned the ice trick before Michelle Phan btw) I am taking of a lippie for being slow, but I will still use/recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2010 7:09:00 PM More reviews by yaxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Lemon juice is actually one of my favorite beauty products! In conjunction with good skincare habits, applying lemon juice to my face has helped keep the pimples away. But what really blows me away about using lemon juice as a skincare product is how wonderful it is at reducing the redness of the acne scars. It works better than anything else that I've tried, including topical creams, microderm, and chemical peels. I can put the lemon juice on at night and see a dramatic difference when I wake up the next day--it's that good! When I fall off of the skincare wagon and stop using lemon juice, the redness does reappear. I suspect that this is due to UV light exposure over time. But as soon as I start reapplying lemon juice, I see the fabulous results again.

I would have thought that freshly-squeezed lemon juice would be the most effective. But after a bit of testing, I actually found that the bottled Santa Cruz Organics lemon juice worked better than other bottled juices AND better than fresh juice. (Side note: I find that it gives a better flavor in cocktails and other drinks, too... perhaps it's more highly-concentrated than fresh lemon juice?)

At first, I tried applying the juice with a cotton ball, but I found that this was overkill. My face would end up feeling sticky, stinging, and irritated. Now, I keep the lemon juice in a small spray bottle in the fridge. It's very easy to apply a few spritzes, and it keeps the application light.

I use the lemon juice on alternating nights in place of a more traditional skin serum--after cleansing, before nighttime moisturizer. It feels and smells great. Please, please give lemon juice a try as a skincare item, especially if you suffer from red acne scarring.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by joya12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Because of mua ive been using lemon juice and it works great. My skin is sensitive n i break out easily and im always trying to find natural remedies. I use this once or twice a week and it gives my skin a nice glow n helps minimize my pores without using harsh products

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2010 12:46:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Lemons have many uses in cosmetics and bath & body products.
They can be used internally or topically.

I use Lemon Juice, Essential Oil, Zest & Rind for different things.

Lemon juice has great skin-lightening properties and the Ascorbic acid is a powerful (but easily degraded) anti-oxidant.

Plus you can cook with them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2010 12:38:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lemons & lemon juice are great for everything but I would not use them & sugar or salt as body scrubs because I believe that's a waste of good food (except in a rare emergency if there are no alternatives). I use a gentle but effective exfoliating mit with coconut-based gentle cleanser to exfoliate my face & a natural bristle brush for my body. I save the sugar (well, I avoid the sugar! lol & I wouldn't buy costly sugar just for the use of body exfoliation) & valuable salt & lemons for use in my kitchen. Love the smell of lemons!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2010 11:15:00 AM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My favorite use for lemons is for a home-made hand scrub. I squeeze the juice of a lemon on a cup of white sugar, mix it well, it creates a lovely scrub. Then I use it on my hands, cuticles etc. Once you wash it off your hands will feel at their softest. The lemon also helps with yellow staining on the nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 8:42:00 AM More reviews by Reira

Tip: I use it with Burt's Bees Pore Refining Mask with French Green Clay. I mix the lemon juice (little) with the clay powder and leave the masque to dry. Voila! My face felt so much cleaner after each session! The combination cleared up the impurities that's stuck.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 6:07:00 AM More reviews by DNS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Lemons and Raw sugar is great for lips and face to exfoliate. Will clear up pimples too! :)