April 17, 2014 | 1311 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2005 8:09:00 PM More reviews by somesuch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Dr. Bronner, will you marry me?
This is a wonderful product. It's inexpensive, lasts forever, the bottle is great fun to read in the shower, and smells like candy.
My local food co-op offers this in bulk, so I can (and do) re-use the same bottle again and again. Extra points for responsible packaging.
Please remember, this soap must be diluted! I use an even less soap to water ratio than recommended, and it works just fine.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2005 11:15:00 AM More reviews by kedves

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The main ingredient in Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps is "saponified coconut oil," which can be many things including sodium lauryl sulfate. (SLS and its gentler cousin SLES, sodium laureth sulfate, can be coconut derived or synthetic. I've seen this sort of vague ingredient list on pet shampoos, but I thought people products had to be more specific.) The label says that the soap contains three or more times as much coconut oil as other liquid soaps--this is a strong detergent cleanser with a thin consistency. I find it to be harsh and drying to the skin, similar to a more watery dish detergent. It's perfect if you are super-grimy and need something to cut the grease and dirt, but otherwise it's too strong for me. The fragrance is a personal thing, but to me it's not a clean smell. An earlier reviewer suggested that the profits go to charity, but nothing on the label suggests that.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2005 9:08:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugh! I can not fathom WHY people like these products. (Unless you are a hippie, or simply do not care about premature aging, or have SUCH dirty, nasty, oily skin that you need to be sandblasted.) This soap STRIPS away everything - good and bad - and that is NOT GOOD for those of us who want to fight off the effects of aging. Do NOT use this on your face and be very careful using it on your body. HARSH, HARSH, HARSH.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2005 9:08:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2005 2:12:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2005 10:52:00 PM More reviews by peeblo

I LOVE this for use as a hand wash. Best smelling hand soap ever!! You only need a little bit, it is very concentrated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2005 10:33:00 PM More reviews by AmandaPanda

This stuff is a lifesaver in the summertime! It leaves you feeling cool and refreshed. It's especially nice after being out in the sun. I don't use it a lot for shampoo unless I use a *tiny* bit and massage on scalp only, because it's drying.

As for cleaning, I've mopped with it, but I prefer to clean with things that kill germs and such. Plus, it's kind of weird to clean the house with the same thing you wash your butt with. LMAO!

I bought a 32 ounce bottle, and it would have lasted me forever if my son wouldn't have poured the remainders out. =( I will be buying again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2005 10:52:00 PM More reviews by BadAppleMartin

Great soap! It really cleans so you don't feel the soapy scum afterwards. Just tingly. It's also really good for the nasal passages, esp. if you're allergic. Some people mentioned that it's a bit much for more sensitive body parts but I didn't find it so. Dr. Bronner's castille formula also cleaned my face well w/o a dry feeling. This soap is a must-have for people living in humid climates like South Florida. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2005 4:42:00 PM More reviews by juliet_nicole

Love, Love, Love this stuff in the summertime! Use a few drops of the liquid in the shower with a shower puff and immediately feel cooled off. It's very concentrated, so be careful squeezing out of the bottle.

I get this stuff in bulk at the health food store - just refill my same bottle, time after time.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2005 12:09:00 AM More reviews by tabitha75

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Generally a great soap. Dr. Bronners has a few different "flavors", but I like the Peppermint the best. This is a very zingy soap, and definitely leaves your skin tingly. MIL used it while visiting and commented that certain delicate parts may not have appreciated the intense peppermint so much, LOL. But overall I think it's a good soap, especially in the summer; it can be a little drying. I've never used it as anything other than a body soap, but the very interesting label touts it as useful for all kinds of purposes. Took off one lippie for the strong lye-like topnote. But, the crazy label definitely makes for great reading material in the tub.