October 1, 2014 | 1959 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 7:38:00 AM More reviews by budas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really have to admit, I did not think this would work for my skin. I have recently moved from the beach to the country and the lack of humidity has completely dried my skin out. I have been breaking out terribly, and treating my skin has left it parched and cracked. I took a scoop of yogurt and mixed it with some predissolved aspirin, let it sit for about 15 minutes, added some water to make a light scrub, and then rinsed. I followed with my normal lotion. This morning, my skin FEELS incredible. I have a few flakes, but the cracked skin is completely gone. Seriously, I almost cannot stop touching my face. I have been using a plain aspirin mask for a year now, and have LOVED it, but this is even better. THIS IS THE BEST SITE EVER....There are soooo many products that I have read about on here before buying to know whether it was worth the money. Another win!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2009 2:08:00 PM More reviews by monkeytron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I always eat plain yogurt so thought i would give this a try. It made my skin feel soft after I rinsed it off. I wasn't too surprised by this. I feel like after rinsing any kind of mask, your skin tends to feel softer. It felt nice while I had it on though. Very cool and calming. I'll keep using it to see if it does help to bleach the skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would never in my life think to put yogurt on my face if it wasn't for MUA. After using whole fat Greek style yogurt every other day for probably over a month now, I can honestly say that I don't see myself buying a single mask, scrub, or face exfoliator anytime soon. I just scoop out about one or two teaspoons using a plastic knife, plop it in my palm, rub my hands together, and apply it to my face. I leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse using my regular facial cleanser, as otherwise I smell like yogurt. My skin has gotten progressively and noticeably smoother, softer, and brighter--I just love it! I've also tried mixing in honey and dissolved aspirin, but honestly, it tends to make things messier and I get great results from the yogurt all on its own anyway. I most definitely recommend yogurt as an amazing face mask.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 11:05:00 PM More reviews by bcoolnchil

Yogurt is so cheap and effective. I just slather any kind on (nonfat works but can drip) and watch an episode of Friends or Sex and the City. When I wash this off, it gives immediately noticeable results of moisturized skin, minimized appearance of pores, soothing of redness or irritation like pimples or hot, dry red cheeks, and it soaks up excess oil. This is great for any skin type and I highly recommend this.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 10:16:00 PM More reviews by nayaduli

This is a brilliant idea of giving your skin a boost, yet it's very cost effective, tks to you all~

First I used only yogurt and found that it was dripping a bit, and struggling a bit, and finally came up with a nice recipe (??) that could stay on my face for a while safely.

You could add a bit of greentea powder (powder type can be purchased from Asian market), it acts as an antioxidant and you know they add them a lot in many beauty products out there. It also helps to clear your complexion and has some vitamins too. Efficient way of boosting your skin when mixed with yogurt.

I also suggest you to exfoliate your skin before applying any masks to work better.

The successful version of mask I tried:
- 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- 1/2 tablespon of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of greentea power
- add a bit of honey (1/2 tablespoon) if you want to, it soothes and hydrates skin

I leave it on for 5-15 minutes depending on what I want, or simply massage for a minute or two and then wash off when I don't have much time, and yes this does a great job, my skin feels soft and hydrated. Try and Enjoy :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2009 8:17:00 PM More reviews by melodypristine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

WOW. I have only used this once so I cannot tell whether or not this will break me out, but I was astonished at how quickly this mask zaps redness and soothes irritation. My skin has been growing steadily drier and more sensitive as I get older, but I still haven't quite grown out of my volatile teenage skin. My skin is constantly acne-prone and angry with me for using make-up to hide the acne-it's ridiculous! I decided to try this out of sheer desperation for SOMETHING to work. After one use, my skin was amazingly not red AT ALL. I haven't seen my face look like that since elementary school! I have never seen a topical product of any kind work such miracles in 20 minutes. I will continue trying this and I hope, hope, hope that this does not break me out.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2009 11:13:00 AM More reviews by campasianspice

I have gone through a vial of olive oil, a tub of organic honey, and a bottle of aspirin... none of these have been THAT successful for me. I have tried plain yogurt 3x and am determining the results. I have big pores and rash-like adult acne at my temples. The yogurt calms down the itchyness and redness but by no means is it my miracle worker. I will keep using this for a while to see if yogurt will become my HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2008 8:19:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Marvellous stuff, on the lactose-tolerant, sensitive, fragile of skin. If you have issues with cow milk products, try goat or sheep milk yoghurt, or else goat/sheep milk powder mixed with water. Have tried them successfully; haven't tried using soy- or oat-milk products, but I suspect they'd be worth a go. That briefest of caveats aside: this stuff is so mild the worst that would probably happen - if your skin is tougher and needs something more potent - is nothing at all.

Here are three mask recipes, all using plain natural yoghurt (i.e. no added sugar, flavours, bits of fruit, etc.):

(1) Emergency: simply apply yoghurt to skin. Straight out of fridge or at room temperature. Indeed, if in a state of desperation, straight out of the yoghurt container, and using the hands. Good for calming irritation and sensitivity. Burns, rashes, bites - I first used this on sunburn when a child, before the dawning of the great age of modern sunscreens that actually work. Apply a layer to affected skin, and leave it for as long as possible. Some will absorb - nice and moisturising - and the rest will dry, then can be washed off very easily, with plain water.

A thicker yoghurt works best for this, simply because the texture makes it easier to apply and helps it stay on: e.gg. full-fat, and Greek-style (or Turkish or variously Balkan) yoghurt.

(2) Basic face mask: mix 1 teaspoonful of yoghurt + 1 teaspoonful of honey. Applied in a thin layer to face, neck, and bosom. Can be left on for as little as 5 min in shower (while washing hair and rest of self), or up to 30 min (till really dry and crumbly). Then rinsed off. Skin is soft and soothed afterwards. Excellent if skin's been misbehaving or upset. Being very mild, can be used daily if so desired. Takes seconds to prepare in kitchen beforehand: I recommend using a small container (ex. egg-cup) to transport the mask to the bathroom. Unless you're a luxurious person with an in-bathroom fridge ...

Works with any honey tried so far. Fine with a thinner yoghurt (and - see other reviews below - low-fat is recommended, for AHA reasons). The mask should be sufficiently non-liquid so as not to fall off the face: other than that practicality, texture is a matter of individual preference. I've had perfectly satisfactory results with many a yoghurt: though I do still prefer to use the same pot for eating and for skincare, being a lazy shopper (and a pedestrian, with at least a 30 min walk between shops/public transport and home).

OK, not technically a mask - more a speeded-up version of the in-shower mask - but a thin yoghurt or a drinking yoghurt (the plain drinking yoghurt you get in cartons in Europe) also makes a good simple cleansing milk. As does milk (the clue's in the name). Use as any other creamy non-foaming cleanser: dampen skin (ideally, using a facecloth and tepid water), apply a little yoghurt or milk (1 or 2 teaspoonfuls: again, best via the intermediary of an unbreakable container), rub in, rinse off. Common practice for generations, but just adding this use here in case anyone's not met the idea. No guarantees on heavy-duty make-up; it does remove lightweight sunscreen; above all, nice and refreshing in the morning.

(3) The complete face mask: add oatmeal. Best ground down a little, and soaked in warm water (as if making porridge), then mixed in. Quantities: for a good solid mask, a little more oatmeal than the total quantity of the other ingredients combined. This mask can be applied and left until it dries; it can also be used as a super-gentle scrub. As a mask, works well with cold teabags on closed eyes, as an eye-mask. Happy memories of many girls' nights in, over many years. (Not keeping the same mask on for all these years, I hasten to add.) Infinite variations exist: e.g. the addition of mashed banana and/or avocado on drier skin. The world's your oyster ... Same proportions again: at least 50% oatmeal. Easiest to make in a larger batch, and thus either for a bunch of people or for a weekend of twice-daily self-pampering.

Cheap. Makes you gorgeous. Smells lovely. Fully edible. And performs miracles on messed-up skin - on this particular one anyway, that's physically thin (gets scratched and bleeds with nearly all scrubs) and easily irritated (sometimes resulting in spots and rashes), slightly dry, occasional cystic pimpliciousness on chin (currently none, touch wood it's under control).

Recommended as part of a general leisurely - maybe even slow-motion - hung-over pampering: groaning gently to oneself feels like the perfect accompaniment. Mind you, so is humming happily.
continued >>

96 out of 99 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2008 11:06:00 AM More reviews by KN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fabulous. Get the full fat kind and it will cling to the face. I've left it on between 20 minutes and one hour. Skin feels cool and calmed and velvety. Calms perioral dermatitis like nothing else. I've even used it on my scalp for pesky flaking, and it's easier and neater to use than it may sound. A definite keeper.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2008 7:35:00 PM More reviews by davefan77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Thanks, again, MakeupAlley! If it weren't for yall, I would never have slathered yogurt, honey, aspirin, or especially Monistat on my face! The yogurt mask is fantastic! I bought the 2% Greek yogurt and it's so creamy and thick; it doesn't drip at all! After I wash it off, my face is bright and my pores are minimized! This is a new staple for me.