August 23, 2014 | 1827 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2004 8:16:00 PM More reviews by wingedtwilight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted this to work for me. I bought it in Translucent and it didn't matter how little I patted on, dusted off, or blended in, it still showed white and powdery on my face. And I am fair-skinned. It was so-so as far as oil control goes. I will just stick with my Palladio.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2004 6:07:00 PM More reviews by IvyGuppy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after reading all the raves, and I'm not disappointed. I'm LLL Asian, and this powder lightens up my skin ever so slightly, which in my opinion is great because sometimes I feel that my naturally yellow-toned skin makes me look a little sickly. It's easy to overdo it with this powder and end up looking like a ghost. The secret is to use a light hand, and blend well. For a cheap drugstore pressed powder with no fuss, I prefer Jane's Oil Free Finishing Powder in 0 Fair. The NYC compact looks really cheap in comparison, and always seems ready to bust open and fall apart. I would repurchase, but I hope that NYC redesigns their packaging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2004 1:43:00 AM More reviews by Eleanor_The_Cute

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The product is good for the price, between $1 and $2. There is no scent, the powder seems to be fine-milled, leaves no color, does not change the color of foundation, and the powder does not cake up in the compact as I've had other brands do. The applicator included with the compact, however, is of such poor quality that, if I use the powder every day, I find I must wash caked-up powder and oil out of the sponge applicator every other day. I.e., the holes in the sponge are not "fine" enough to avoid collecting powder and oil from the face. The compact itself has bent plastic instead of a hinge, which is not sturdy. However, considering the value of this product versus the price, I will definately repurchase. UPDATE 03/07/04: This has made it onto my HG list. I could care less about the cheap packaging because of the splendid job this powder does of keeping my face shine free all day. ALL DAY! WHOOP!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2004 1:23:00 AM More reviews by Eleanor_The_Cute

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2004 11:48:00 PM More reviews by lobsterh4h

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just bought a new MAC Blot powder for $17 before I saw this at Wal Mart for all of $1.72, and I'm kicking myself. This is great stuff! As an oily skin type, nothing is going to be perfect, but NYC pressed powder is something else considering the color range AND price.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2004 8:25:00 PM More reviews by TiffanyGolightly

I'm sorry, but this was not worth my money (even for how cheap it was.) this made me look horribly ghostly and it didn't set into my skin, at all. if you want a good translucent powder and don't mind paying $$$ for it, go for Laura Mercier's. nothing beats it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2004 6:10:00 PM More reviews by smee123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Awesome powder! I put this in my MAC blot container (NYC is so much better btw) so I can't comment on the packaging, and I use my own powder brush. I'm chinese and this doesn't leave my face looking white at all, very natural looking actually.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2004 7:35:00 PM More reviews by boblio9721

I just got this today, so I'm not sure how I'm going to like it later on, but so far this powder is pretty good. It went on looking a little too white, but then I blended it some more and the color was fine. It absorbed the oil on my face and feels nice, but I read some other reviews saying that it made them break out! Hopefully that won't be something I'll encounter, but we'll see...UPDATE: This stuff didn't break me out but my skin felt itchy and uncomfortable a few days after I started using it. Now I'm definitely not going back to this stuff. Plus, the packaging sucks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2004 8:16:00 PM More reviews by Dina20

I use this to set my Jane Stay Calm foundation and it works wonderfully. I love that its translucent so it doesn't interfere with the shade of my foundation. I haven't experience any breakouts from this thus far so that is a big plus. Yes, the other reviews are right, the packaging is horrible but for 1.99 it is still a teriffic bargain.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2004 10:31:00 AM More reviews by secondadonna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really hoping to love this, and used it devotedly for almost a month before giving up. The shade is much too pink for me, for one thing, but more importantly it didn't apply evenly (and I tried several different applicators) and didn't really control shine - my skin isn't THAT oily, either. I found myself having to reapply far more often than with any other powder, because I got shiny again almost right away. The compact is also terrible - it doesn't have a real hinge, so the lid of mine snapped off after a month, and it never closed properly to begin with so after that it was toast.