July 24, 2014 | 1629 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by lyonk014

I've used all sorts of highlighters from Benefit High Beam to Vincent Longo, and this by far is THE best highlighter I've found. It is my holy grail highlighter. I am light olive skinned (MAC NC42) and this works perfect for highlighting my orbital bone.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2012 7:30:00 PM More reviews by pulsesync

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this!
Packaging: Very classic and sleek in structure, looks like a powder foundation's short cylindrical packaging. I could do without the stupid pin-up picture that theBalm has but it's fine. It's not like the bikini pictures on sexy mama or hot mama, or bahama mama.
Product: It's a very frosty beige-champagne shade. Not chalky, but not the smoothest. I have Benefit Highbeam but I just don't think it's as easy to apply as a powder highlighter like this.
I apply this with a crappy $1 elf fan brush and while I want to get a different brush, even that one picks up this product really well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

This is great! I have for a long time wanted a highlighter that would be really pearly, without chunky glitter! This is pretty finely milled :D Buuuuut: MAC (MINERALISE, not regular type!!!) has blushes that has shimmer that is even finer, for those who really want tiny shimmers (try Lightscapade, if you like really subtle glow).
Such a nice colour, although I was actually a little scared at first, because I thought it was SO frosty...! Not expensive either for the size :) Easy to go light if you want, even though it's pretty soft, and if not careful, you will pick up a lot of product. One thing though: if you have big pores, this may accentuate it, but as far as I know, all highlighters will accentuate uneven skin. For me it's very convenient to use a powder highlighter, although I do have liquid ones too. AND: I would probably not recommend for dry skin, as this can look a bit chalky with that...
I use this both on my cheekbones, brow bones and also sometimes even as eyeshadow.
UPDATE: still love this much, just wanted to say: one time I was wearing this, my boyfriend said: your brow bone is golden! (He liked it ;) ). But yes, I would actually say that too: this highlighter leans a bit towards golden, even if it looks neutral champagne in the pan.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2012 11:30:00 AM More reviews by Raya885

This marketed as a highlighter, but it is an all-around versatile product. I generally use it around my eye area (brow bone, inner lid, a little bit on the outer lid). It can be used as a standard highlighter, but also as an eyeshadow, shimmer, etc.

This product is great for those days when you get less than 5 hours of sleep, yet need to look more-or-less awake for a presentation at work.

I've never purchased anything from TheBalm before this highlighter, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what else the line has to offer.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by taliacrayon24

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Definitely my HG highlighter. I tried UD's cream one (faded too fast), MAC's MSF (too chunky), Stila's liquid one (found it annoying to use), Benefit's High Beam (had almost no effect), and probably more that I've forgotten. This highlighter gives me a candelit glow that looks absolutely stunning and natural. It is pigmented and looks amazing on my light medium skin with yellow undertones. I don't think I will ever run out of this - there's so much product, and you really need so little. Again, I cannot recommend this enough. A really lovely product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 12:48:00 PM More reviews by LeatherStuddedKiss

I am a highlighting fiend. I am always on the lookout for the best highlight powders and creams. Let me just say that this Mary-Lou manizer is absolutely the BEST highlight I have ever used. So incredibly pigmented, and so fine in texture, it works wonders on the skin. It is a champagne-y tint so it would work much better with those who have medium skin toned. Compared to something like the Nars Albatross, it is just as good if not better, the only difference being that Albatross is a pearly highlight. Dab some MAC Pink Rebel highlight under this and it will pop SO amazingly. I recommend this to everyone. Great buy, and for only $24 dollars, it is so worth it. You get A LOT of product for what you are paying for, with amazing quality.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2011 11:09:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this! I'm so glad I picked it up off Hautelook. It's a great quality product. The texture, pigmentation, and application of this product is great, nothing to fault it there. It's a beautiful shimmery (but very fine shimmer- not glittery at all) goldish highlight color. The kind of shimmer that looks like a glow on skin instead of straight up glitter particles. The color itself, as a highlighter, is great, but not super subtle. (At least not on my NC30 skin). It's not in any way over the top, but rather just a little more exciting/glamorous than some other highlighters I own. I think this color could work on both warm and cool skin tones- to me it looks pretty neutral.

The thing that surprised me about/what I love about this the most, though, is the fact that it can be used as an eyeshadow. I think I actually love the color on my eyelids more than on my face- it's one of my favorite eyeshadows ever. It's almost a taupey gold if that makes sense. I used it today as a wash, with a little bit off matte charcoal in the crease, a matte highlight (since this is shimmery) and a nice thick line of eyeliner. I thought it was a pretty simple, work appropriate, look. I would definitely repurchase this, though hopefully I shall never run out, as (using this mostly as an eyeshadow) this is bound to last a while, even if I use it constantly. I have no opinion about the cutsey packaging style (I know some people hate it but honestly I couldn't care less)- but I will say that the actual container is very sturdy, it's a metal one, it has a good feel to it and a sturdy top. Would definitely repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 4:22:00 AM More reviews by shelbyclarke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great highlighter! Warm, fine-milled shimmer. I use down the bridge of my nose and tops of my cheekbones. Much superior to the last highlighter I used, High Beam by Benefit. I like this one because it's powder which is better for my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2011 12:25:00 AM More reviews by CG1981

Like many, i got this at TJ Maxx, it was $20 and also came with a same size bronzer. I have a few highlighters, but i dont use them that much. I have MAC luster drops (very good), some Kimora Lee Simmons one i got at Marshalls years ago and never use, some other one within a kit, and i have the physicians formula one with the strips. The Balm and MAC are my favorite. The physicians formula one isnt bad at all, i like it best during summer when i have a tan because it has strong sheen and bronze highlight color, it broke (in a zip lock now) and its a massive mess. The mac drops are liquid so it gives a more dewy look. The Balm highlighter has strong opalescent pigment and gives a nice non-disco highlight. It doesn't stay very long on my skin though, and i don't have oily skin, so i gave it a 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Paavaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got this product from theBalm site at 40% off rate. I bought it after reading rave reviews on most of the blogs and YT. Its an awesome highlighter. The product quality is also very nice. The shimmer is very subtle and light. Gives a dewy look to the skin. There is 8.5 gms product which will last for ever. I am NC 42 for reference.