November 27, 2014 | 1634 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by blloyd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am very disappointed with this product. I don't feel that it adds any benefit to using before my foundation. For an oil free product, my skin gets quite oily after using it. For the week that I have been using it, I have found myself wishing that the bottle was finished so that I could purchase a different primer; one that works. Yesterday the universe answered, and I accidently dropped the bottle and it smashed. Instead of being disappointed, I feel relieved. I would not even consider purchasing it again. I'm a sucker for nice packaging too, and find that hourglass leaves a lot to be desired.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 4:56:00 AM More reviews by mantees11

BEST PRIMER EVER!!SILKY SILKY SKIN PORELESS!! =)MAKES MAKE UP STAY PUT ALL DAY

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddict713

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because 2 different salespeople at Sephora recommended it to me. I really like the smooth frosted glass and shiny gunmetal packaging/container, especially compared to other primers that are often in very inconvenient screw-off caps (Laura Mercier, Tarte, Smashbox 2 oz. tube, etc.) or pumps that do not even work after a few pumps (Smashbox 1 oz. pump bottles).

I really wanted to like this, but it did not really do anything for me, and at $52 a pop for a primer (far more expensive than other primers), my expectations were pretty high. I found it more viscous than all other primers I have tried, almost thin and runny. It is very slippery and makes spreading anything on top of it very easy, which I suppose is a plus, but I felt like it spreads too easily and makes your skin too slick. Unlike other primers, I felt like I was spreading liquid oil on my face. Recently I have developed some dry, flaky patches on my skin, and based on other reviews, I had hoped that it would prevent my makeup from caking up on the flakes. Unfortunately, it still did. I was really disappointed. Perhaps I will try using more and see if that helps, but I doubt it will as I feel I used plenty. Plus, at this price, you would *hope* that a little goes a long way!

Also, if you wear contact lenses, wash your hands *really* well if you have this on your hands and want to put in your contacts. I made the mistake of not doing that, and my eyes stung so bad I had to take my contacts out and wear glasses. But just to be sure this was really the culprit, I am going to test again.

It also leaves a whitish/grayish cast over your skin, but I don't think you can tell after you put makeup over it.

Luckily I swapped for a used bottle and didn't open the one I bought. Oddly the tester I used in Sephora seemed thicker. I will update this review after I try it a few more times.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

This primer is so expensive, but I really, really liked it. As in - Better Than Any Other Primer I Have Tried. This review is based on a generous sample which I used for two weeks. Then I went back and bought the whole bottle and updated this review, so it's not quite the original version, but the rankings are all the same - I've just added more detail!
First of all, it doesn't break me out at all, which is excellent as I am acne prone and always fighting off a breakout. With other primers (MUFE) I've wondered if they are breaking me out or not, and never been 100% sure, but with Veil, I'm sure. But despite not breaking me out at all, it also has a really pleasant moisturizing effect on the skin - when using this primer I don't feel the need for a separate moisturizer which is a great bonus. Veil goes onto the skin like silk, and feels fantastic. Seriously fantastic - my skin has never felt softer or smoother than when I use this primer. It has a white color to it, but it disappears when you blend it into your skin, possibly leaving a slight brightening effect. I am very fair, so I can't comment on whether it would leave a white cast on darker complexions, as I do not have this problem. I can say that this primer doesn't seem to give a white flash in photos or anything like that. It feels really incredibly, supernaturally soft and makes a truly excellent base for makeup. Even on a no-makeup day, I still like to use a bit of this primer for a little brightening, and the wonderful silky feel of it. However, I would not like to rely on its SPF 15 as my only sun protection as I would have to apply a LOT of this primer to equal the amount of sunscreen one needs to apply to their face to get the full effect of the SPF - I think applying that much of the primer would be a waste of what is already a very expensive product. I do LOVE that the SPF in this product is physical, and thus it will not interfere with your everyday sunscreen, or cause ingredients in your sunscreen to be less effective which can happen when combining chemical sunscreens.
I have found that my makeup goes on better and lasts longer when I use this primer than if I use my foundation over no primer. Now that I have had longer to experiment with this primer, I know that it actually makes my makeup last longer than I have experienced with other primers (MUFE, Smashbox, Laura Mercier).
I will buy this again, but I wish I could find a less expensive alternative that I like as much. I was OK with the price of the Make Up For Ever primers (which I do like, but not as much as this one), but the price of the Hourglass one is bordering on silly. My current solution is to only buy it on sale, if you get 20% off, it becomes $41.60 instead of $52.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:50:00 AM More reviews by beckhamlvr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this primer up until I got about half way through the bottle and started to realize that it was starting to break down half way through the day. My makeup would cakeup in my smile lines. I'm trying Laura Mercier Oil free now. I'm really mad it took so long to figure out. Now I'm too far through the bottle to return it and this stuff was expensive!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful primer. It's a very thin, lotionlike consistency, white in color. I don't find that it leaves a white film on my face, but I'm very fair, so maybe I just don't notice it. I got a sample of this from Sephora when I bought the Hourglass Veil foundation.

This primer glides on like a dream. It spreads evenly across the entire face, and dries down quickly to a velvet finish. Makeup applies smoothly and seamlessly over it. Pores are nearly invisible and fine lines seem to disappear. Foundation does seem to last a good bit longer when this is worn underneath.

This primer, in my opinion, offers some of the best traits of several other popular primers combined: the SPF of the NARS primer, the consistency of MUFE, the pore-and line-filling properties of Smashbox.

My problem with this primer is the price. At $52, I feel the price is ludicrous. For that price, IMO, the primer should literally apply your foundation for you. Hourglass is definitely a great line, and their products are wonderful, but as with the foundation, I just don't know that they are worth the money (and I consider Veil foundation to be one of my HG foundations, and I regularly visit Chanel and Christian Dior counters, so I'm not averse to HE brands). I just don't think I can justify the cost on this one, hence the loss of a lippie.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2010 10:35:00 AM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this from Sephora and it's yet another disappointing primer for me. It does go on smoothly and I think my foundation glides on slightly more easily than usual, but it's definitely not a big enough difference to warrant purchasing. It doesn't do anything for my large pores and it didn't help the wear of my foundation either. So yes, it feels nice on my skin and helps foundation go on just a tad smoother, but that's not enough for me to buy the full size.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by CSteen85

I hate to be the odd one out here, but I was so disappointed in this. True, it feels like heaven going on and true it makes your skin FEEL amazing, but for some reason, it made my skin incredibly ashy. I got this horrible white cast, ashy look to my skin when I applied this. At first I thought it might just be me or the way my skin reacts to primers, but I was debating between this primer and UD's Brightening Primer. I put UD on one half of my face and Hourglass Veil on the other side of my face and then applied Hourglass's own mineral powder all over my face. The powder looked better on the side with the Urban Decay primer than it did with its own brand's primer.
So, now I'm a happy camper walking away with UD's primer to use with my powder foundation :)

Sorry, Hourglass. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by LynnMichelle

I have finally found my HG primer! Lightweight, not oily. Foundation absolutely glides on perfectly after using this. A little goes a long way, can get too light if you use too much. Hourglass is a lovely line.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2009 1:59:00 PM More reviews by PanPan70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a sample of this from Sephora. I'm not crazy about it but I think that it might work for some people. It has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the sunscreen which is great and it's micronized so that you get a little brightening instead of an obvious white cast. But it felt very oily going on and left my oily skin feeling sticky even hours later which I didn't like. I wonder if I might like this better without a moisturizer/sunscreen underneath. I really wanted to like it because it's great as a sunscreen. I think people who have drier skin than me that are looking for a silicone primer with sunscreen might like this a lot.