October 23, 2014 | 1939 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful primer. It's a very thin, lotionlike consistency, white in color. I don't find that it leaves a white film on my face, but I'm very fair, so maybe I just don't notice it. I got a sample of this from Sephora when I bought the Hourglass Veil foundation.

This primer glides on like a dream. It spreads evenly across the entire face, and dries down quickly to a velvet finish. Makeup applies smoothly and seamlessly over it. Pores are nearly invisible and fine lines seem to disappear. Foundation does seem to last a good bit longer when this is worn underneath.

This primer, in my opinion, offers some of the best traits of several other popular primers combined: the SPF of the NARS primer, the consistency of MUFE, the pore-and line-filling properties of Smashbox.

My problem with this primer is the price. At $52, I feel the price is ludicrous. For that price, IMO, the primer should literally apply your foundation for you. Hourglass is definitely a great line, and their products are wonderful, but as with the foundation, I just don't know that they are worth the money (and I consider Veil foundation to be one of my HG foundations, and I regularly visit Chanel and Christian Dior counters, so I'm not averse to HE brands). I just don't think I can justify the cost on this one, hence the loss of a lippie.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2010 10:35:00 AM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this from Sephora and it's yet another disappointing primer for me. It does go on smoothly and I think my foundation glides on slightly more easily than usual, but it's definitely not a big enough difference to warrant purchasing. It doesn't do anything for my large pores and it didn't help the wear of my foundation either. So yes, it feels nice on my skin and helps foundation go on just a tad smoother, but that's not enough for me to buy the full size.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by CSteen85

I hate to be the odd one out here, but I was so disappointed in this. True, it feels like heaven going on and true it makes your skin FEEL amazing, but for some reason, it made my skin incredibly ashy. I got this horrible white cast, ashy look to my skin when I applied this. At first I thought it might just be me or the way my skin reacts to primers, but I was debating between this primer and UD's Brightening Primer. I put UD on one half of my face and Hourglass Veil on the other side of my face and then applied Hourglass's own mineral powder all over my face. The powder looked better on the side with the Urban Decay primer than it did with its own brand's primer.
So, now I'm a happy camper walking away with UD's primer to use with my powder foundation :)

Sorry, Hourglass. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by LynnMichelle

I have finally found my HG primer! Lightweight, not oily. Foundation absolutely glides on perfectly after using this. A little goes a long way, can get too light if you use too much. Hourglass is a lovely line.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2009 1:59:00 PM More reviews by PanPan70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a sample of this from Sephora. I'm not crazy about it but I think that it might work for some people. It has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the sunscreen which is great and it's micronized so that you get a little brightening instead of an obvious white cast. But it felt very oily going on and left my oily skin feeling sticky even hours later which I didn't like. I wonder if I might like this better without a moisturizer/sunscreen underneath. I really wanted to like it because it's great as a sunscreen. I think people who have drier skin than me that are looking for a silicone primer with sunscreen might like this a lot.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2009 9:20:00 AM More reviews by luvnewstuff

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I too was recently introduced to this product via Sephora sample. I also purchased the full sized product within 3 days. For those of us with oily skins this is truly a life changing product! I use only one pump across the t zone and no more blotting......it works wonderfully under my mineral loose powder foundation. I haven't had any issues with a whitish cast.....this stuff is fantastic. Yes, it is expensive but when you consider that you don't need to purchase blotting papers anymore and you don't have to constantly check your face for shine it is well worth the price. Can't say enough good things about this product, I only wish it had been available 20 years ago!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by dopalives

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

First of all, this primer is waaaaaaaay expensive, BUT I do like it. I didn't like Shiseido SPF 55 because it didn't help keep my oilies away. I tried a sample of the Hourglass primer and I am very impressed with it's mattifying power. I used it under my mineral makeup and have to say I am quite happy. I don't know that I would spend $52 on this, but it does work, so maybe I can find it in a swap. I didn't notice any white cast, but I am pretty pale to begin with. My makeup stayed fresh for 12 + hours with this primer. I blotted only once. Great primer that is too expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. One lippie off because it's so freaking expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2009 8:27:00 PM More reviews by drpsyc

Great primer; thinner consistency then BE primer. have not noticed any whitening as others describe, but I always stay out of the sun so maybe that is why I do not see this effect. I like the primer enough to buy again, especially to use with the hourglass TM. If I use BE minerals, the the BE primer seems to be better though.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2009 10:09:00 AM More reviews by tiffanyck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i dnt have enough words to praise this great primer..my face is not oily but when i wear foudation with other primers dunno y it gets so greasy n after an hr foundation oxidizes..but this primer helps my foundation stay fresh all day.i have other HE primers but nothing compares to this one..as its mineral primer i wear it with my air brush make up(luminess air brush) it works great!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2009 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Pansori

This product didn't work for me. The lady at Sephora really talked it up, but fortunately I walked out with just a sample. The problem I believe is the zinc oxide.
I bought the green HD Primer made by Make Up Forever and had this sample. The first day I tried greenie, and hubby complimented my foundation.
Next day I used HG, and as soon as he saw me he made a remark that I looked like a ghost. I believe the zinc oxide over mattifies my face. I like the matte look, but I need just a little gloss. I walked around for a couple of hours, hoping it would set better, but didn't.
I ended up removing my makeup and going back to the Make Up forever. Much better!!! So while this product may work for some, it really wasn't made for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No