December 21, 2014 | 1665 users online

Liquid - L'Oreal - True Match Super-Blendable Makeup SPF 17

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2004 4:00:00 PM More reviews by trish575

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have mixed reviews about this product. I actually quite like the packaging. Aesthetically, it is very appealing, although not the most practical of bottles.

Considering that the other foundations and tinted moiturizers I own cost over $40, this is a bargain. The coverage is a little bit heavier than a tinted moiturizer but still very sheer, which means you have to have good skin to pull it off. The product blends amazingly well and looks very natural. I usually have trouble finding an exact match because I have so much yellow/green in my skin colour. W6 works extremely well for me.

The only drawbacks are: this product contains no sun protention. After a few hours, it does tend to maximize the size of pores, and it does start looking a little bit oily. It has, however, NEVER caused me to break out. I usually only wear this at night when going out to even out my skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2004 11:59:00 AM More reviews by YolandaMC

When I first heard about True Match, I was skeptical, but when I found a coupon for it, I decided to purchase it on a whim. I wasn't expecting much, but after using it for a little over a month, this little bottle of liquid foundation surprised me!

COLOR:
I was previously using MUFE Mat Velvet which was okay, but not the best color match. I bought W4 in True Match and it's very, very close to my skintone. It has yellow undertones and not a bit of pink in it either. For reference, I am a MAC NC35, Armani LSF #6, Body & Soul #5.

FINISH & COVERAGE:
It dries to a powdery, soft finish, which is perfect for my oily skin. It's very blendable & natural. For a light finish, I apply a few dots on my cheeks & t-zone. However, when I need a bit more coverage, I add more foundation. It's easy to build coverage without it looking cakey or unnatural.

I have oily skin & I occasionally break out, especially during that time of the month, but I haven't had any clogged pores or breakouts due to True Match.

CONS:
The only negative aspect of this product is the packaging. I would have prefered a squeeze tube or pump bottle, but this isn't that big of an issue.

PROS:
The color match, natural finish, & blendability of this product has won me over. I'll continue to purchase this! continued >>

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2004 12:15:00 AM More reviews by CranberryQueen

The range of colors are amazingly accurate, but the quality of the product makes me long for an orange demarcation line. I originally purchased this product in N2, because for once I had found a shade that matched my skin tone... When I first applied it, it felt a little grainy and I immediately noticed pores that I was not even aware of possessing. After an hour or two, I was an oil slick. I felt as though I was blotting and touching up all the time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2004 11:48:00 PM More reviews by FaintlyMacabre

I'd been searching for a foundation that wouldn't actually look like foundation on my face for a while, and it looks like I've found it for the time being! This goes on very natural-looking with a slightly dewy finish. While the display indicated that the coverage was "light", I find that with a bit of layering, I can get medium coverage out of this with no cakeyness at all! I think you'd have to be applying a hell of a lot to get this stuff to pill up on the skin...

The downside to this would be that it doesn't control oil at all, and while the dewy finish looks very natural and fresh to start, my combination skin can look greasy later on. The solution? Find a good powder to dust on over top, and the problem is solved.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2004 10:37:00 AM More reviews by Sashayy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I am on a three month odyssey to find my HG foundation. Based on early buzz for this, plus the full colour 2 page InStyle and Glamour ads (yes I'm an advertiser's wet dream - a total dupe sometimes) I decided to go to the drugstore and try it out.

I thought that the colour ranges seemed good. There was a wide range of colours, including some very light ones that could work for my very PPP skin (I'm NC15 bordering on NC10 if Mac made it). I bought it in the W1 and thought "how bad could a L'Oreal product be?"

Well I've learned my lesson. This stuff is evil for me, no other way to look at it. It has to be applied with fingers because of the oily consistency -- try putting it on with a brush and it is Streak City, plus you practically ruin your foundation brush (I had to soak my Mac 190 overnight in brush cleaner and still it left a residue!).

Now, normally I don't mind moisturizing formulas given that I have dry skin, but this one was tacky and pilled on my skin when I applied with my fingers. Ick! It also emphasized every slightly large pore or wrinkle on my 35 year old face, settled into the creases next to my nose, accentuated the few blackheads I've got and made my freckles look like strange blotchy brown bruises. To add injury to insult, the next morning, I woke up with three cystic blemishes on my left cheek!

The only things this had going for it IMO are the colour and the $9 price tag (bought in US at CVS) but obviously considering the rest of the wear experience, I'll pass on this forever.

My HG? no way, no how, definitely NOT. Not sure it could be _anyone's_ actually. If it doesn't work on my super-dry skin, whose skin will it work for? continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2004 5:33:00 PM More reviews by toad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this as a concealer -- C1 -- the other concealers I've bought have either been too yellow or too sheer -- so I decided to try foundation as concealer instead. Set with powder, it's perfect. I think the cool undertone is what makes the difference for me -- not yellowy.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2004 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Frogilina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I find the name of this product laughable. I spent over $25 to try to find my true match and never did. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by just buying my usual Clinique Super Balanced (and even had almost enough money left over for a lipstick)! I tried True Match in C5, which, when I got it home looked a totally different color than it did in the store. Then I went to the L'Oreal website which suggested C2. At first it seemed to match pretty well, but as the day progressed it turned darker and pinker. I then bought C1 which made me look like I had just been released from the hospital after a long illness so I tried mixing it with C2. I felt like a mad scientist! Too much work just to make your skin look a little better. I'm going to the Clinique counter tomorrow. It's even bonus time. Woohoo!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2004 1:07:00 PM More reviews by jlcbecabc

At first, I really liked this foundation because it matched soooo well. However, it made my face a total oil slick, and I don't have extremely oily skin normally. It also broke me out pretty badly. I generally don't have a lot of breakouts either, so this is on my taboo foundation list. Going back to my Shiseido for now.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2004 6:33:00 PM More reviews by mrswhite072895

At first, I loved L'oreal's True Match foundation in C8 (Cool Cocoa) when I tried the $1.99 sample. With a $2 coupon in hand, I went off and bought a full sized bottle. Suddenly, I became disappointed in the product.

On the upside, I had also found a foundation that was near perfection for me. It was easy to apply with a wedge sponge, blended perfectly along the edges of my face without looking like a mask, and it gave me a natural looke while covering up my imperfections. However, it turned my face into an oil slick. I didn't break out, but my face became shiny nearly an hour of applying it. Even applying L'oreal's Hydrating Illuminating loose powder to set the make-up didn't keep the shinyness at bay. Finally, to say it made my eyeshadow and eyeliner smudge would be a great understatement.

But damnit, it blended and matched so well. *sigh*

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2004 1:54:00 AM More reviews by ewalsted

How can I love and hate a foundation so much at the same time? OK, the N1 is actually a perfect color for me and the coverage is awesome. BUT, my face is an oil pit after a few hours of wear. Does't make me break out but my face looks gross. I actually had to buy blotting papers for the first time in over 10 years. Darn it! Just when I find a color that isn't too dark or pink....arghh! I will continue to buy this (on my 2nd bottle now) until reflect.com *hopefully* gets my HG of foundations right!

***UPDATE*** Reflect.com was a bust, and I've moved onto Bare Escentuals for everyday foundation, however, I still use this to cover my undereye circles because it's very creamy, allows you to build coverage, and just looks a lot better than any of the concealers I've tried...and don't even think about using BE under your eyes unless you want to magnify any lines you have around your eyes. For this reason, I will continue to repurchase.