July 23, 2014 | 1205 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 5:26:00 PM More reviews by VioletOrchid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

With this chartreuse-yellow and purple tube, I totally thought this was a Cosmopolitan-themed mascara! The brush is the old-fashioned (not the soft bristles like in VolumeExact, etc.) kind, but huge. It does a good job of thickening, and it seemed to lengthen my lashes (though it doesn't seem to have done that for anyone else). Despite the 90+ degree weather yesterday, this didn't slip and slide down my face, nor did it flake. A second coat gave me wowie volume - and I totally got a compliment on my lashes while wearing this. Since it was only about 7.00 at CVS, I'll keep buying it.

In case you're "scent-sitive" you should be aware that this mascara does have a powerful (for mascara) smell, kind of like contact lens fluid or computer toner. Not bad, but... weird. It's gone when the mascara is dry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 5:00:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

Two thumbs up for the packaging of this mascara. I like the last reviewer was attracted by the fetching bright metallic yellow and purple tube and display of this. Being a huge fan of the original Volum' Express mascaras, I was again a sucker to try this. The package claims that your lashes will be increased to over 9x their usual size. Well, needless to say, this is a hefty claim to make and no, I don't look like I'm wearing falsies on my eyes. Anywho, while this is pretty good at thickening (didn't add any length), I don't see the 9x claims come to fruition. I love the previous versions of this, which was copied from the French Gemey mascaras of the late eighties, early nineties. I only gave this a four because I did notice some clumping and minor smudging. However, sometimes when a tube is new, you get excess product over the top which can cause overload onto your brush. I got this in Glam Black, which was another thing I was attracted to when buying this. Not a bad product, but not the best mascara I have ever used.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2008 3:53:00 PM More reviews by nabaztag

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Being a mascara junkie, I stalked 3 Walmarts before finding this bright yellow and purple tube. Cute display, sort of in the shape of a 6-and-a-half foot tube of mascara. Of course I bought it.
It comes in 2 shades of black, I got the Glam Black version, which is a shiny, shiny true black. My experience with this somehow resulted in longer, slightly more voluminous lashes. I'm not a fan of the original Volum' Express, but I got this based on the reviews and thinking, 'What the heck, it's just $5.94.'
The consistency is a little thin, so as soon as I blinked my super long lashes smeared mascara under my brows. Maybe it'll thicken up a bit as it dries out in a couple of weeks.
I was hoping for a dupe of the DiorShow, since that's my current love-hate mascara (love the result, hate the price and the fact that the tube dries up in under a month). This is like a less volumizing DiorShow. The brush is also a bit more spiky/pointy than most mascaras, so it poked my waterline a bit. Thank goodness it's a regular brush, about DiorShow size, not the koosh ball type.
Right now the best thing about this is the color of the tube (told you I was a junkie :P ) It'll definitely wake me up in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 12:55:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Aligirl did a fantastic job of reviewing this,so not much to add except my rave for it.This DOES give incredible oomph to the lashes without the clumpy factor. I can't wait for w/p,b/c I can see this being a staple.
I'm not knocking anyone by saying this,but this is just my own experience-no one mascara is going to deliver all the attributes we expect. Even in the ads the pictures have been doctored or they're even using false eyelashes to promote the product; I'm sure this is a "well,DUH!" point,but nevertheless...There are only so many polymers they can add to one tube.
What I have found is that several different formulas WILL give good results if you're looking for a dramatic look.I use a base for the mascara to grab on to,then a lengthening/defining formula topped by a volume adding mascara. This is where this mascara comes in-Lash Blast has been a HG since it came out, but even that doesn't always give me the thickness I crave. (I like big, thick lashes.)
Aligirl mentioned Dior Maximeyes-I've not tried that one,but this is a close dupe for Diorshow ime.And what with the economy, $6 is far preferable to over $20 for something I dispose of after 3 months' time.I also noticed no smudging or flaking in 90+ degree weather, and did not irritate my contact lenses. While I adore Voluminous,unfortunately it does flake on me.
I too purchased the "Glam Black" shade and it is a nice inky black-really adds depth to the lashes,for lack of a better term.I'm an equal opportunity mascara ho, so when a new one comes out I've got to try it. :P.This does not disappoint.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 3:43:00 AM More reviews by peacegiraffe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So at the Walmart near me, when you walk in directly ahead is the makeup. I had to run there one night (it's open 24/7) to get some advil and I walk in and see this giant display of yellow at the makeup aisle so I walk over and see this mascara promising 9x the volume! No way I thought! I am a mascara JUNKIE. I can't stop myself from trying every mascara I can get my hands on. So I picked this up. The brush was big just the way I like my mascara brushes. So I tried it and it definitely gave me volume but it didn't do much to lengthen! I was bummed! If it only it lengthened it would be the perfect drugstore mascara! So for what it promises to do - volumize, it does but I probably won't buy again because it doesn't lengthen!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2008 11:25:00 AM More reviews by hezbez21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great product, which I accredit mostly to the fantastic brush. The brush is great at isolating and separating lashes. I use this in conjuction with Clinique High Definition and it helps to coat individual lashes. It is GREAT...however, I've never used it on it's own, so I don't know how it works as the main character. I am in love with the brush, so that's why I reviewed it so highly. It does have kind of a weird smell to it, though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Aligirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

For those of you that are in search of volume, not length and were fans of Dior Maximeyes, Listen up...I thought I'd never find a replacement for my beloved Dior Maximeyes since they discontinued it last year .. I was heartbroken and tried to hoard them but wasn't quick enough:( But , I'm happy to report that I have found its replacement.. and even better news is that it's cheap too. I was cruisin' Walmart and came across the display.Only $5.94 so I figured, "What the hell, it's cheap so, it won't hurt" . I picked up a shade called Glam Black which is a deep, true black(also very much like Maximeyes Maxi Black)and Wow am I beyond impressed. The brush on the Maybelline even kind of reminds me of the Maximeyes brush..It's chubbier then usual with densly packed bristles.The package claims 9x's the volume and I believe it.Wears well without flaking or smudging also.

Ingredients: Aqua/Water,paraffin,Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Cera Carnuba/Carnuba Wax,Acacia Senegal/Acacia Senegal Gum, Glycerin,Cetyl Alcohol,Hydrozyethylcellulose,Sodium Polymethacrylate,Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil,Hydrogenated Palm Oil,Phenethyl Alcohol,Phenoxyethanol,Steareth-20, PEG/PPG-17/18,Dimeticone,Polyquaternium-10,Silica Soluable Collagen,Simethicone,Panthenol,Disodium EDTA[+/- May Contain:CI77499,CI77492,CI7749/Iron Oxides,CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide,CI77007/Ultramarines,CI77288/Chromium Oxide Greens,CI77289,Chromium Hydroxide Green,CI77742/Manganses Violet,CI77510,Feric Ferrocyanide, Mica]

**EDIT REVIEW 7/18/08***

Went to use Colossal over the last few days and found the mascara was starting to dry out even though it had been tightly capped after each use.And yes, I'm absolutely sure that I capped it tightly because I'm sort of OCD when it comes to making sure things are closed..lol So I called Maybelline to complain and from how the CS rep made it sound, this wasn't their first complaint.So she asked that I send my mascara to them so they could look into the problem and they'd send some coupons for free product(which I didn't expect but was a nice gesture) I really hope they get this issue worked out. I really loved the mascara

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No