Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 7/17/2008 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

overall, i like this mascara. i put a few coats on without letting it dry in between coats and was immediately disappointed. i couldn't see anything. so i decided to let it dry between coats and it was much better that way. it did make my lashes look long and thick. i don't know if any mascara has ever blown me away but this is definitely nice and i would repurchase. i guess i will mention this does have a pretty strong scent but scents don't bother me, but if scent bothers you, this is more than likely not the mascara for you.

on 7/17/2008 12:20:00 PM

I love this mascara. I got it in the glam black i think? its wonderful.. and i do smell the scent that everyone keeps talking about but it doesnt both me. I use this and lash blast love them both but i think this one makes me lashes look fuller and more intense. Lashblast is my daytime mascara

on 7/16/2008 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This mascara stuck out to me since it came in a bright yellow tube. I liked that it did give volume without a lot of coats but what I liked best about it is that my lashes stayed soft and the mascara didn't flake off. I'd get it again.

on 7/16/2008 4:46:00 PM

I finally gave in to trying "the Colossal" mascara by Maybelline only to be disappointed by the price and the fact that the product did not deliver what it promises. I have straight lashes and use the Shu Uemura lash curler to get a nice curl. This mascara removed the curl. My lashes looked thin (yes, long) and straight. I can't deny I love the intensity of the Glam Black color but it's not worth the price. I think Maybelline should've left good enough alone. My favorite mascara is a tie between the Volum' Express Waterprooof and the Maybelline Lash Stylist Waterproof. This Colossal is going back.

on 7/15/2008 8:47:00 PM

I had a hard time finding this, and finally bought it online. I was really excited to get it (man, I need a life!), and wasn't disappointed at all. First, I LOVE the yellow and black tube. It makes me smile and cheers me up. Secondly, the mascara itself is wonderful. My lashes look very dark, long, dramatic and noticeable. So far, I haven't had much trouble with clumping and none with smudging. I think it smells like fake rose-scent, so it doesn't bother me at all. For now, my favorite mascara.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have used everything volume and eyelash related that drugstores have to offer and after much testing and searching, this is my HG. Lash blast really didn't excite me that much and it's a little bit more expensive than Colossal where I live (Colossal is only $6 at walmart or target). It gives volume, no clumps, no flaking, no smudging and it holds a curl. I don't know what the difference is supposed to be between classic and glam black (Black is black right?) but I bought the glam black and it's certainly black lol. The smell actually doesn't even bother me, it's kind of floral and I only notice it when it's just out of the tube. The tube is entertaining in itself and it's impossible to lose in a makeup bag with that neon yellow color. I will definitely buy this again, and again, and again...

on 7/15/2008 12:53:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Love, love, love it!
Of course I had to run out and buy it, I just can't help myself.
This actually lives up to the hype though. Its like a super cheap version of Dior Show mascara, they seem to be practically identical and dare I say.....the Colossal is actually better? It is, I've used both and it works much better and for like 1/4 the cost. The Colossal formula seems better and *huge bonus for me* doesn't flake at all and get in my contacts (although DiorShow and Lash Blast both did). So while I will still use tubing mascara part of the time, I will be using this too when I want to really load it on for a more dramatic look.
Oh and the smell? Really not getting the complaints at all. I'm one of those super freaky sensitive to smells people (it comes with having migraines) and it doesn't bother me at all. Just like the DiorShow, its just a strong Rose scent, which is way better than...well a lot of things.
ETA: I forgot to mention that I LOVE the brush, soooo much better than Lash Blast or any of those other spindly rubber spiky brushes. Yay for Colossal Volum' Express!!

on 7/15/2008 10:43:00 AM

I got this item in a swap, since it's not available in Canada as of yet. As for Maybelline's line of mascaras, I've really only tried its infamous Great Lash mascara and that's about it. So far I've been really impressed with this mascara. Upon opening the tube, the smell could prove to be bothersome to most, but it doesn't bother me as it dissipates quickly. The colour I got is Classic Black - it's a good, matte black. It has a thin consistency and is super buildable. I've been using this for about a week now and I've been really impressed. It gives a good amount of curl, volume and length altogether with 2 or 3 coats. I like to layer mascaras and I find that I don't need to layer on another mascara to achieve the false-lash look that I want. With a tiny strip of eyeliner on my top lid, it really looks as if I've had false lashes on! Packaging-wise, I love the fun yellow colour, although the brush bristles seem to hurt a little upon application to my lash roots. I find a bit of flaking as the day goes on, but I can just dab it away. Does not give me raccoon eyes after cleansing - goes away very easily. All in all, a great mascara coming from Maybelline!
Update (Aug. 19th): I opened my tube of mascara today and there was this big, honking glob of mascara all over the wand. It is still usable, but that was after I've wiped off the glob inside the tube and the rest of it on a tissue. That has never happened to me with a mascara before, and it wasn't even hot at all yesterday! Very weird...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Being a fan of Volum' Express Turbo Boost, I purchased the Glam Black in this. For the first time EVER, I was able to get 3 coats and NO clumping whatsoever. I love the packaging, the brush, the color, and most of all..the smooth formula. It seperates and volumizes well. Lashes are reasonably soft upon drying. The rosey smell is not as pleasant as other mascaras, but who gives a da*m when it performs this well? HG Status.

on 7/13/2008 10:01:00 PM

i got this mascara in a swap and i love it. it is my new drugstore mascara. i have to apply a few coats to see the colossal lashes that it claims but i didn't let it dry in between coats. the odor is a little strong like a lot you girls claim, it lasted about 30 minutes or so. i will definately be purchasing this item again.

BYE THE WAY....if you contact maybelline and tell them your concerns/complaints about the mascara, they will send you a gift certificate for $10 towards maybelline items. my friend called them and complained about the scent. they needed the number on the bottom of the actual mascara tube, so make sure you have it handy when you call