November 23, 2014 | 1919 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 9:14:00 PM More reviews by georgiasweety

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Im a mascara junkie and this one is pretty good.First off it does have the same packaging as lash blast, but the wand itself does not have the plastic spikes like lash blast, instead it has your normal mascara bristles. This reminds me a lot of the original Maybelline Volume Express. The smell is not nearly as bothersome as everyone has made it out to be, in fact most drugstore mascaras smell this way. *I am a contact lens wearer for reference* This mascara gives both volume and especially length. This does not flake at all on me! I have NO smudging with this mascara, and you get great results with only a few coats. The weirdest thing about this mascara is it makes my bottom lashes look long & thick. Better then any other mascara ive tried including Lancome, and Chanel. Because it has tons of tiny bristles its able to reach every lash. Like other reviewers, Im in florida for the summer, & its already 95+ degrees , and this doesnt budge. Its veryyy light weight on the lashes, and thats always a plus. I would recommend, and have no cons for this mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara because I need volume. I have long, thin lashes that would be perfect if they just had a bit of volume. This mascara did not deliver. It just made my lashes longer...almost scary long. To wear this and not look like a freak, I can only wear a coat, maybe two if I wipe the brush first. It does clump after a few coats too. That said, I do like this mascara enough to use up and maybe buy again because in just one swipe, my lashes become much more visible and dark. I've never had a mascara do so much so quickly. It also seems to curl my lashes a little bit more. The smell of the mascara is annoying but once you close the tube, it's gone. Overall, I like the mascara and would buy again but it does not do what it says it does, so that's why I only gave it a three.

EDIT: After having this a few weeks, the mascara thickened a little and really started volumizing my lashes! The only problem is that is also started flaking :(

EDIT AGAIN: After having this maybe a month, the stopper thing inside (the thing you sort of pull your brush through on the inside) broke and I had to throw it away. I've never had any success with Maybelline mascaras and this was no exception.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 4:30:00 PM More reviews by bethainy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, best mascara I've found as of late. Not that I've tried a whole lot, but I love this stuff. Waaay better than my latest tube of F&S.
First off - it's paraben free! Hooray! I think it's the first drugstore mascara I've found that doesn't contain those nasties.
Next, the review. The first few times I used it, it was a bit clumpy and I had to use a clean mascara wand to clean up my lashes. But once I started using it everyday, the clumps quit and it became a really nice mascara.
It is not sticky at all on my lashes and doesn't run when I cry.
It's volumizing, lengthening, and keeps a curl.
I also like the almost fruity scent.
Overall, this stuff is awesome. There may be a better mascara out there, but I'm giving this 5 lippies because it's the best so far.
-UPDATE: 09/2010- I haven't used this mascara in a few years and never repurchased it. It's still pretty nice, but ends up being to clumpy. Full n Soft is my love :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great mascara. No, it's not as good as CG's Lash Blast, but it's very very close. The tube is easier to hold, though. Yes, it has a scent, but I do not find it unpleasant or lingering. It gives excellent lush volume and it even curls my lashes. There was no clumping. And I dig the glossy deep black color. It's worlds better than Great Lash, and I will definitely buy it again. I got it at CVS for $4.99. After the Extra Bucks it's only $2.99. I would love this in a vivid blue color.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2008 2:27:00 PM More reviews by zozo78

Overall, I really like this mascara. I chose the shade soft black, which is perfect for day or evening on my already dark lashes. The large teddy bear brush makes application easy, and clumping doesn't seem to be a problem. It does have a strong fragrance, but a minute or so after the mascara is applied, I can't smell it. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2008 11:14:00 AM More reviews by LilyRosemarie

Well ok, it does smell bad. Really bad. But it doesn't stick around after you put it on. I have no idea if I'd ever notice the difference in the 2 blacks, but I got Glam Black because I heard it has a blue tint and I have blue eyes. It lengthens like crazy - if I actually took the time to properly curl my lashes they'd look really good! My lashes are skimpy, though, and even the best mascara couldn't make them look "colossal." Not a bad job, all in all. I wish the brush wasn't so huge so I could get to the roots, and I wish the tube weren't so ugly. But I guess it could be worse. 3 lippies, not sure if I'd repurchase but I'll wear it for now. Definitely better than the Full n Soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by sweetsmell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was on sale at Duane Reade and I had a coupon. It's pretty nice! It gives a ton of length and it doesn't clump. I got Glam Black, which is a blue-based black and looked great on my lashes. Definitely a more "dramatic" mascara but I liked it a lot!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was hoping this mascara wouldn't be a disappointment, and to my surprise, I really like it. For $5 or so at Wal-Mart, I bought this last night and tried it as soon as I got it home. I smelled it first...haha. Everyone says this smells awful, but it's not much worse than any other of Maybelline's icky mascaras. It has an odd (funky) odor that reminds me of pencil-shavings and rotting roses and maybe a bit of dirt...a bit faint, but it's definitely noticeable. It goes away after application and it's fine, no big deal. I don't recommend sitting around and inhaling that junk, however, just to see how 'dangerous' it may be or just to figure out what exactly that smell is.

Okay; to performance. It's a great mascara, claims 9x's the volume but hey, what are they basing this statistic on? My lashes are already long but a bit sparse some days, this definitely helps to separate them and blackens them. I noticed more lengthening than anything. But for some, it might work. One coat is enough for me, it says to not let dry during coats, but I just use one; gets my lashes how I want them. No clumping, not overly drying, Classic Black seems to serve well...as bad as I wanted Glam Black, I thought I'd better start simple.

The packaging...oh, the packaging...Maybelline hasn't been doing so great with the way they allow us to carry their makeup lately. The Dream Matte Powder? Now this? C'mon. It's an ugly tube...bright pearly yellow and metallic purple? No, no, no. I would like it much better if it were maybe a pearly silver and a metallic black...something sleek. So, Maybelline? Please take all this stuff back to the drawing board and try again dears...(something I can forgive & forget for the quality...but seriously?) Guess they wanted it to be easy to find when you're hunting for it.

I don't know right now if I'll repurchase (though I'll put YES.) ...not because of the quality, just because I don't know if I absolutely want it to be a staple in my makeup drawer. Full N' Soft has been going strong for a month now...haha. But if I do decide to switch, this mascara will be the next one on the list.

____

EDIT: I opened this up yesterday for the first time in about five or six days...no big deal, it was fine the last time I had worn it...but I pulled it out and noticed all the mascara was gunked up over the bristles, the stem of the wand, and the lip of the tube. The plastic ring that catches the mascara as the brush pulls out had come off and had gotten stuck around the end of the wand...

The just further proves that the packaging is crap. It was easy to fix but I got that stinky black crap all over the place. (Changing my rebuy response. I won't buy this mascara again unless they decide to upgrade the formula or packaging...which defeats the purpose. I'll jsut buy an entirely new mascara.)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2008 8:21:00 PM More reviews by liltweety

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i didn't like it at all because when applied it it weighed my lashes down and i kept on applying it it was real clumpy.

and yes, it did dry fast.. didn't curl well either but i think covergirl lashblast is way better than this one..

Sorry try again

UPDATE: this actually is better than i thought just remember not too put too much on because you don't really have to just a couple of strokes and POW!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2008 3:22:00 PM More reviews by CafeAlaStef

NAUSEATING smell - really strong chemical smell that gave me a bad headache - other than that, it works very well to give length. volume, not so much. the brush is pretty huge. if it didn't have this gross smell, it would be worth it.

edit- couldn't bare to wear it all day - the scent DID NOT go away, and gave me a HUGE headache. would not repurchase.