July 28, 2014 | 1013 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by JStringberg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

While shopping last night in CVS, I couldn't help but notice a huge display packed with wands of yellow mascara. I've been really happy with my MF 2000 Calorie after finding my way back to it because I believe I've tried all (if not, most) high end ones from department stores but didn't find a HG that lasted very long.

After promising myself that I would not purchase anymore mascara, well again, that yellow tube kept calling my name, and I'm glad it did.

This mascara is nothing short of a miracle because while I have long lashes, I love them to appear even longer and have lots of volume and this offers both, separates well, and it's like mascara magic---think of watering a plant and watching it grow right in front of your eyes :). Applied it today and it's very humid here in NYC and it hasn't smudged, budged or flaked---2 words, LOVE IT. It's not pricey, and the only reason I didn't give it a "5" as an overall rating is because, no item IMHO is perfect in every way though this comes darn close and I may just up that number after wearing it for another week.

Update: After now wearing this mascara for a week, I am giving it a perfect rating, not something I do easily and certainly not something I'd ever find myself doing with a mascara. I have turned several people onto Colossal and they share my love for it, and while not everyone will agree, I think it's worth a shot. I wanted to also add that it holds a great curl and I no longer even need to use an eyelash curler. I am wearing 1-2 coats and I have the lashes I've always longed for so I've stocked up on Glam Black and am so excited to have finally found my miracle mascara.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by juicyglamsweet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OK I SAW THIS AT WALMART AND I HAD TO GET IT. I BROUGHT GLAM BLACK. UPON FIRST TRY I WASNT THAT IMPRESSES BUT MY MASCARA FROM EARLIER WASNT COMPETELY OFF SO I DECIDED TO TRY THE COLOSSAL ON ONE EYE AND LOREAL LASH ARCHIECT (MY HG) ON THE OTHER EYE. UPON REVIEW I NOTICED WHY THE MAYBELLINE MASCARA WAS CALLED GLAM BLACK. IT MADE MY LASHES SHINY. IT MADE MY LASHES FULL AND THICK IT DIDNT LEGTHEN ALL THAT GREAT THOUGH BUT ID DID MAKE ME LOOK LIKE I HAD FALSE LASHES ON. IN COMPARISON TO THE LOREAL MASCARA I NOTICED HOW DRY AND BRITTLE LOREAL MADE MY LASHES LOOK. THE MAYBELLINE MASCARA MADE MY LASHES SHNY SOFTT AND FULL.. ****THIS IS NOW MY HG MASCARA****.....THIS MASCARA REMINDS ME OF TOO FACED LASH INJECTION AND THEY BOTH HAVE COLLAGEN AND THIS ONE IS LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE OF TOO FACED.....AS SOMEONE ELSE STATED THE BRISTLES R A LITTLE POINTY BUT THEY DONT GET IN THE WAY..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2008 10:12:00 AM More reviews by heatherpl

i went to my super Walmart yesterday and i walked by this huge display of these new mascaras and the tubes are bright florescent yellow where you cant miss the product. it says Collossal volume express New with collagen in it but they didnt have waterproof ones out yet but they will soon. the two colors i saw were Glam Black and Classic Black. i dont know the difference but i got Glam black and there was no difference in the black regular mascara shades you see didnt add no sparkle or anything but it did plump my lashes like it said on the box, flake free and didnt dry my lashes out, also lengthens and added longness to my lashes which i love i think this mascara works for me. i added like 2 coats and i looked like i had fake lashes which looked really lovely. another Huge rave for Maybelline to come out with this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 10:45:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've liked other maybelline mascara's so when I saw this I figured it would be fun to try for the price. The brush is an old fashioned teddy bear brush and very large. This macara did nothnig for me at all. It clumped and flaked and it looked crunchy and did not wear well at all.I didn't get volume or length. It smelled bizarre, yeasty, almost like baking bread or something and I am not at all scent sensitive, but the smell of this really turned me off bigtime. The only good thing about this is the true dark black color, other than that this was a big loser for me. Back to L'oreal's telescopic once again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 5:26:00 PM More reviews by VioletOrchid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

With this chartreuse-yellow and purple tube, I totally thought this was a Cosmopolitan-themed mascara! The brush is the old-fashioned (not the soft bristles like in VolumeExact, etc.) kind, but huge. It does a good job of thickening, and it seemed to lengthen my lashes (though it doesn't seem to have done that for anyone else). Despite the 90+ degree weather yesterday, this didn't slip and slide down my face, nor did it flake. A second coat gave me wowie volume - and I totally got a compliment on my lashes while wearing this. Since it was only about 7.00 at CVS, I'll keep buying it.

In case you're "scent-sitive" you should be aware that this mascara does have a powerful (for mascara) smell, kind of like contact lens fluid or computer toner. Not bad, but... weird. It's gone when the mascara is dry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 5:00:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

Two thumbs up for the packaging of this mascara. I like the last reviewer was attracted by the fetching bright metallic yellow and purple tube and display of this. Being a huge fan of the original Volum' Express mascaras, I was again a sucker to try this. The package claims that your lashes will be increased to over 9x their usual size. Well, needless to say, this is a hefty claim to make and no, I don't look like I'm wearing falsies on my eyes. Anywho, while this is pretty good at thickening (didn't add any length), I don't see the 9x claims come to fruition. I love the previous versions of this, which was copied from the French Gemey mascaras of the late eighties, early nineties. I only gave this a four because I did notice some clumping and minor smudging. However, sometimes when a tube is new, you get excess product over the top which can cause overload onto your brush. I got this in Glam Black, which was another thing I was attracted to when buying this. Not a bad product, but not the best mascara I have ever used.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2008 3:53:00 PM More reviews by nabaztag

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Being a mascara junkie, I stalked 3 Walmarts before finding this bright yellow and purple tube. Cute display, sort of in the shape of a 6-and-a-half foot tube of mascara. Of course I bought it.
It comes in 2 shades of black, I got the Glam Black version, which is a shiny, shiny true black. My experience with this somehow resulted in longer, slightly more voluminous lashes. I'm not a fan of the original Volum' Express, but I got this based on the reviews and thinking, 'What the heck, it's just $5.94.'
The consistency is a little thin, so as soon as I blinked my super long lashes smeared mascara under my brows. Maybe it'll thicken up a bit as it dries out in a couple of weeks.
I was hoping for a dupe of the DiorShow, since that's my current love-hate mascara (love the result, hate the price and the fact that the tube dries up in under a month). This is like a less volumizing DiorShow. The brush is also a bit more spiky/pointy than most mascaras, so it poked my waterline a bit. Thank goodness it's a regular brush, about DiorShow size, not the koosh ball type.
Right now the best thing about this is the color of the tube (told you I was a junkie :P ) It'll definitely wake me up in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 12:55:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Aligirl did a fantastic job of reviewing this,so not much to add except my rave for it.This DOES give incredible oomph to the lashes without the clumpy factor. I can't wait for w/p,b/c I can see this being a staple.
I'm not knocking anyone by saying this,but this is just my own experience-no one mascara is going to deliver all the attributes we expect. Even in the ads the pictures have been doctored or they're even using false eyelashes to promote the product; I'm sure this is a "well,DUH!" point,but nevertheless...There are only so many polymers they can add to one tube.
What I have found is that several different formulas WILL give good results if you're looking for a dramatic look.I use a base for the mascara to grab on to,then a lengthening/defining formula topped by a volume adding mascara. This is where this mascara comes in-Lash Blast has been a HG since it came out, but even that doesn't always give me the thickness I crave. (I like big, thick lashes.)
Aligirl mentioned Dior Maximeyes-I've not tried that one,but this is a close dupe for Diorshow ime.And what with the economy, $6 is far preferable to over $20 for something I dispose of after 3 months' time.I also noticed no smudging or flaking in 90+ degree weather, and did not irritate my contact lenses. While I adore Voluminous,unfortunately it does flake on me.
I too purchased the "Glam Black" shade and it is a nice inky black-really adds depth to the lashes,for lack of a better term.I'm an equal opportunity mascara ho, so when a new one comes out I've got to try it. :P.This does not disappoint.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 3:43:00 AM More reviews by peacegiraffe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So at the Walmart near me, when you walk in directly ahead is the makeup. I had to run there one night (it's open 24/7) to get some advil and I walk in and see this giant display of yellow at the makeup aisle so I walk over and see this mascara promising 9x the volume! No way I thought! I am a mascara JUNKIE. I can't stop myself from trying every mascara I can get my hands on. So I picked this up. The brush was big just the way I like my mascara brushes. So I tried it and it definitely gave me volume but it didn't do much to lengthen! I was bummed! If it only it lengthened it would be the perfect drugstore mascara! So for what it promises to do - volumize, it does but I probably won't buy again because it doesn't lengthen!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2008 11:25:00 AM More reviews by hezbez21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great product, which I accredit mostly to the fantastic brush. The brush is great at isolating and separating lashes. I use this in conjuction with Clinique High Definition and it helps to coat individual lashes. It is GREAT...however, I've never used it on it's own, so I don't know how it works as the main character. I am in love with the brush, so that's why I reviewed it so highly. It does have kind of a weird smell to it, though.