November 27, 2014 | 1473 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I didn't find this volumizing at all. It was a nice, glossy black (I got Glam Black) that gave me a slightly-more-than-natural look. The regular Volum' Express mascaras give much more dramatic lashes but they do tend to clump so you need to wipe the wand or comb through your lashes.

Colossal was decent but I prefer Max Factor's Lash Perfection/Masterpiece when it comes to mascaras with rubber brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

in my opinion, this mascara is the strongest diorshow competitor ive ever seen come out of the drugstore. and for those complaining about the smell, it is NOTHING compared to diorshows ridiculously strong, perfume-y, rose scent.

it has super thick bristles that seem to grab every lash and impart amazing volume and length without clumping, from the very first coat. and glam black is a stunning, inky black that makes lashes look even more lush.

i looove this stuff and (gasp!) may use it to replace my diorshow for a while if it continues to perform the way it has thus far. im a sucker for a bargain. A+

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 12:13:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Ooh, I likey! I was surprised because all previous versions of Volum'Express were depressing. I was wary of the smell that previous reviewers mentioned, but you know what - the scent actually really reminds me of MAC Fiberlash, and I never hear anyone complaining about that. Anyway, this stuff is really good! I got the Glam Black, which is a dark, blue-black, very nice. The brush is large, but not unwieldy. Compared to CG Lash Blast, I like this better because the brush tip is tapered, so you can get the outer and bottom lashes. It fans out the lashes quite nicely, and it lengthens better than it volumizes. It gives me pretty, feathery lashes, and also holds the curl very well. So pretty. It also removes well at the end of the day with my Bi-Facil remover. For reference, I have short, stubby Asian lashes. My other faves are YSL Faux Cils and DiorShow, as well as Smashbox Bionic.
EDIT: I repurchased another tube, and I am highly disappointed. It's just average - not much length, not much volume. Sadly, I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2008 2:06:00 AM More reviews by xmandee

It's good, but not the best. Great for the price though. Nice colors for packaging. Probably one of the best I've used so far, and I like it more than Diorshow and other expensive mascaras.

I really don't like the huge brush, it's hard for me to get the very ends of my lashes without ruining my eye shadow and eyeliner because parts of it get on my eyelid.

It volumizes decently, it's okay at separation (I prefer comb-like style of brush), and it lengthens pretty well.

It's a well rounded, big brushed mascara with a nice price tag.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 8:33:00 PM More reviews by niferphoto

Not bad - but not as dramatic as I would have liked. It lengthed my lashes more than plumped them. I think l'oreal voluminous in carbon black is still more dramatic!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2008 4:03:00 PM More reviews by laitaliana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wasn't expecting to like this. I figured it was another gimmicky mascara. I was pretty suprised that it lengthened and fanned out my lashes well. They look feathery and lightweight. It thickens pretty good too. It looks like my lashes are natural, but well defined. I don't even need eyeliner with it.

The absolute best part is, that I don't have to curl my lashes for them to look good. It keeps the curl that I create when applying.

The only things I dislike is the fact that when I'm applying, little balls of mascara stick to the tips and I have to brush them out or when its dry, go back and kinda brush them off. It makes my lashes look all spidery and clumpy if I don't. But it doesn't look clumpy anywhere else, only the tips. Kinda weird but I guess thats a good thing b/c it's easy to fix. The smell is also a little weird... I can def. smell it after applying and its not the most pleasant, but I can get over it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by hkgal08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I liked the pretty tube but that was about it. The mascara smelled kinda weird and it didnt really volumnize my lashes. I could've used a cheap regular mascara and wouldnt know the difference

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 8:43:00 AM More reviews by rbyars1

Ehhh, I could take it or leave it. There really was nothing special regarding this mascara from my experience. The lengthening was minimal compared to one of my current favs (Rimmel-glam eyes) and the volume was nearly non existent. I will say I really love the big teddy brush and the cute packaging though. Wish more mascaras used this fluffy brush instead of the plastic ones that nearly gouge your eyes out. And it was SUPER cheap, I got mine at CVS for like 4.00 or something, but prolly won't buy again..HG search goes on

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2008 10:41:00 PM More reviews by jd-jd

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok, back to the HG search for cheap-but-good mascara because I do replace mine regularly. Holy Camoly! I saw the display of a new mascara by Revlon and it was over $10! I'd rather pay $6 or $7 and even the $8 of L'Oreal bothers me.

So I had to try this Colossal mascara. I got Glam Black , which I had no idea what it meant (compared to classic black) but it went on cool black as opposed to more warm black. The brush is a big teddy bear brush. There was a considerable GLOP at the end of the brush. The smell, yes, like roses that have gone brown and mouldering under the rose bush. Yeck. But you don't notice it if you don't hold the brush under your nose (so unless you are darkening a mustache, this isn't an issue.) The case is a cute lemon-citrus yellow with purple-shiny accents. Very loud.

The result was more lengthening than volumizing, which surprised me. The lengthening is CONSIDERABLE. Like, false lashes time. I wished my old assistant (just for a moment, I was really glad to get rid of her) was back with her false lashes worn during DAYTIME in the OFFICE to compare hers with mine. These were big fans, all right.
The fluid is a bit liquid, meaning it takes a moment to dry, typical of Maybelline, I find.

UPDATE:
1. This is a very GOOD mascara. Separates lashes but builds nice volume. Not as much as Voluminous (L'Oreal) but good.
2. The brush is big, gets all the lashes
3. It is not like Lash Blast (Cover Girl) in that it does separate lashes much better. Reminds me of it, but really is not like it.
4. This just might be my HG, despite the smell, which dissipates but right out of the tube is burnt-rubber-rotten-roses.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2008 12:14:00 AM More reviews by njr86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

IDK why people are comparing Colossal to lash blast so much...they are in no way similar. lash blast has that craptastic plastic brush that makes all your eyelashes stick together in 5 clumps. and this has a gigantic bristle brush that separates lashes pretty nicely. anyway...
I loved the tube! The neon yellow is what drew me in...I am a sucker for cute packaging. I bought this is Glam black...which, I guess is dark black. Lengthens like nothing I've ever seen, but the volume is nothing remarkable, definately not 9x like it says on the packaging. Does not hold a curl well, but my lashes are pretty stubborn so it could just be me. Best DS mascara I've tried, but doesn't deliver what it promises. Gonna have to give it a 3.