September 16, 2014 | 1738 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 8:43:00 AM More reviews by rbyars1

Ehhh, I could take it or leave it. There really was nothing special regarding this mascara from my experience. The lengthening was minimal compared to one of my current favs (Rimmel-glam eyes) and the volume was nearly non existent. I will say I really love the big teddy brush and the cute packaging though. Wish more mascaras used this fluffy brush instead of the plastic ones that nearly gouge your eyes out. And it was SUPER cheap, I got mine at CVS for like 4.00 or something, but prolly won't buy again..HG search goes on

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2008 10:41:00 PM More reviews by jd-jd

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok, back to the HG search for cheap-but-good mascara because I do replace mine regularly. Holy Camoly! I saw the display of a new mascara by Revlon and it was over $10! I'd rather pay $6 or $7 and even the $8 of L'Oreal bothers me.

So I had to try this Colossal mascara. I got Glam Black , which I had no idea what it meant (compared to classic black) but it went on cool black as opposed to more warm black. The brush is a big teddy bear brush. There was a considerable GLOP at the end of the brush. The smell, yes, like roses that have gone brown and mouldering under the rose bush. Yeck. But you don't notice it if you don't hold the brush under your nose (so unless you are darkening a mustache, this isn't an issue.) The case is a cute lemon-citrus yellow with purple-shiny accents. Very loud.

The result was more lengthening than volumizing, which surprised me. The lengthening is CONSIDERABLE. Like, false lashes time. I wished my old assistant (just for a moment, I was really glad to get rid of her) was back with her false lashes worn during DAYTIME in the OFFICE to compare hers with mine. These were big fans, all right.
The fluid is a bit liquid, meaning it takes a moment to dry, typical of Maybelline, I find.

UPDATE:
1. This is a very GOOD mascara. Separates lashes but builds nice volume. Not as much as Voluminous (L'Oreal) but good.
2. The brush is big, gets all the lashes
3. It is not like Lash Blast (Cover Girl) in that it does separate lashes much better. Reminds me of it, but really is not like it.
4. This just might be my HG, despite the smell, which dissipates but right out of the tube is burnt-rubber-rotten-roses.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2008 12:14:00 AM More reviews by njr86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

IDK why people are comparing Colossal to lash blast so much...they are in no way similar. lash blast has that craptastic plastic brush that makes all your eyelashes stick together in 5 clumps. and this has a gigantic bristle brush that separates lashes pretty nicely. anyway...
I loved the tube! The neon yellow is what drew me in...I am a sucker for cute packaging. I bought this is Glam black...which, I guess is dark black. Lengthens like nothing I've ever seen, but the volume is nothing remarkable, definately not 9x like it says on the packaging. Does not hold a curl well, but my lashes are pretty stubborn so it could just be me. Best DS mascara I've tried, but doesn't deliver what it promises. Gonna have to give it a 3.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by xsnowwhite

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this mascara. I bought glam black, which I think is similar to maybelline's "blackest black".

I love how its soft but still provides volume. I hate clumpy crispy lashes and this mascara keeps lashes soft but still full/long. It gave me more length than volume but I liked it because it didn't clump or anything.

The scent is pretty noticeable like others have mentioned, but it goes away shortly after application, so I didn't mind it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 9:56:00 PM More reviews by ashmiaka

i have to preface this by saying that i have never really had any luck with maybelline mascaras (wp and non-wp) --- full n' soft was a disappointment; lash stylist was a disaster (and that is an understatement); volum express regular and turbo were acceptable at best. so naturally, i was hesitant to even try the colossal volum' express. after weeks of seeing this in stores, i finally caved and bought this while CVS was haivng a great deal.

this is the better maybelline mascara i've tried... but in reality, that's not saying much at all since the others were crap. colossal does adds length but not so much volume. in fact, my lashes looked fairly natural after application, as if i put lash tint (it is very black) rather than mascara on. an unfortunate effect is that it looked slightly spidery (unevenly so at that) and crunchy.... and took out the curl on *some* of my lashes, making it look like i decided to curl some of my lashes and not the others. it also felt heavier than normal, which probably explains why it didn't hold a curl very well. and don't get me started on the scent... why is mascara rose-scented? who has ever sniffed your lashes?

oddly enough, this looks better layered ontop of another mascara than on its own. layering also curbs the problem of the slight flaking i had when using this alone. i wouldn't buy this again, since i don't much of anything good about it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 9:14:00 PM More reviews by georgiasweety

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Im a mascara junkie and this one is pretty good.First off it does have the same packaging as lash blast, but the wand itself does not have the plastic spikes like lash blast, instead it has your normal mascara bristles. This reminds me a lot of the original Maybelline Volume Express. The smell is not nearly as bothersome as everyone has made it out to be, in fact most drugstore mascaras smell this way. *I am a contact lens wearer for reference* This mascara gives both volume and especially length. This does not flake at all on me! I have NO smudging with this mascara, and you get great results with only a few coats. The weirdest thing about this mascara is it makes my bottom lashes look long & thick. Better then any other mascara ive tried including Lancome, and Chanel. Because it has tons of tiny bristles its able to reach every lash. Like other reviewers, Im in florida for the summer, & its already 95+ degrees , and this doesnt budge. Its veryyy light weight on the lashes, and thats always a plus. I would recommend, and have no cons for this mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara because I need volume. I have long, thin lashes that would be perfect if they just had a bit of volume. This mascara did not deliver. It just made my lashes longer...almost scary long. To wear this and not look like a freak, I can only wear a coat, maybe two if I wipe the brush first. It does clump after a few coats too. That said, I do like this mascara enough to use up and maybe buy again because in just one swipe, my lashes become much more visible and dark. I've never had a mascara do so much so quickly. It also seems to curl my lashes a little bit more. The smell of the mascara is annoying but once you close the tube, it's gone. Overall, I like the mascara and would buy again but it does not do what it says it does, so that's why I only gave it a three.

EDIT: After having this a few weeks, the mascara thickened a little and really started volumizing my lashes! The only problem is that is also started flaking :(

EDIT AGAIN: After having this maybe a month, the stopper thing inside (the thing you sort of pull your brush through on the inside) broke and I had to throw it away. I've never had any success with Maybelline mascaras and this was no exception.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 4:30:00 PM More reviews by bethainy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, best mascara I've found as of late. Not that I've tried a whole lot, but I love this stuff. Waaay better than my latest tube of F&S.
First off - it's paraben free! Hooray! I think it's the first drugstore mascara I've found that doesn't contain those nasties.
Next, the review. The first few times I used it, it was a bit clumpy and I had to use a clean mascara wand to clean up my lashes. But once I started using it everyday, the clumps quit and it became a really nice mascara.
It is not sticky at all on my lashes and doesn't run when I cry.
It's volumizing, lengthening, and keeps a curl.
I also like the almost fruity scent.
Overall, this stuff is awesome. There may be a better mascara out there, but I'm giving this 5 lippies because it's the best so far.
-UPDATE: 09/2010- I haven't used this mascara in a few years and never repurchased it. It's still pretty nice, but ends up being to clumpy. Full n Soft is my love :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great mascara. No, it's not as good as CG's Lash Blast, but it's very very close. The tube is easier to hold, though. Yes, it has a scent, but I do not find it unpleasant or lingering. It gives excellent lush volume and it even curls my lashes. There was no clumping. And I dig the glossy deep black color. It's worlds better than Great Lash, and I will definitely buy it again. I got it at CVS for $4.99. After the Extra Bucks it's only $2.99. I would love this in a vivid blue color.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2008 2:27:00 PM More reviews by zozo78

Overall, I really like this mascara. I chose the shade soft black, which is perfect for day or evening on my already dark lashes. The large teddy bear brush makes application easy, and clumping doesn't seem to be a problem. It does have a strong fragrance, but a minute or so after the mascara is applied, I can't smell it. I will definitely repurchase.