July 25, 2014 | 2004 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2010 1:25:00 PM More reviews by makeupmakesmehappy

This is my go-to foundation because this covers and stays on my face like no other foundation I have tried. I am not saying it provides perfect coverage or that it lasts all day, but it certainly lasts longer than other foundations I have tried and the coverage is good. For what you get I think the price is very reasonable (it is around £11.50 in the UK). I think the biggest problem with this foundation (and everyone says it) is that the bottle is not very practical. I always get too much out of the bottle and I guess that is kind of my fault because I am inpatient but at the same time I think it might be a bit of a ploy from Revlon as you are bound to go through this more quickly than your pump foundations so you need to buy another bottle more quickly!! I may just be being cynical though! I use the oily combination version in Ivory and the colour matches by pale yellow-toned skin very nicely and brings my skin to life. This shade is yellow toned without being sallow. I apply this foundation with my MAC 187 stippling brush and it gives a nice, even finish which lasts much longer than if I applied with a flat foundation brush or my fingers. It also helps me to apply a thinner layer as this is a thick liquid foundation. I would compare the consistency to double cream and most other liquid foundations to single cream. I like the thickness as it covers well but I find it better to apply it in thin layers and build up the coverage on the red patches on my skin and any spotty areas. I hope they never discontinue as I will continue to buy unless I find something better. All in all I think it's worth trying at least once if you are curious about this foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2010 12:32:00 PM More reviews by channelfloral

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this because my Estee Lauder Double Wear gave me spots :(
    I've got oily skin, and acne prone, and I heard good things about this foundation.

I also watched a few YT videos on people applying it, and I tried it a few different ways till I found the best for myself.

I used a foundation brush to apply, then a sponge to cover blemishes. The coverage of this is so strange, it appears at first to be too shear but then appears really cakey and patchy over spots.

It doesn't last very long on my oily skin and I won't be using it again.
    Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new foundation, message me any recommendations!

LC x

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by winterblues

I like this foundation a lot. At first I applied it with a damp sponge after reading here about it's thick consistency, and that was okay, but not great. Then I tried applying it with a dry sponge wedge, and this worked out really well for me. I didn't really have to use a lot...just put a little on the end of the sponge, dabbed it around my face, then quickly went back and blended it in with the sponge. I can't believe how much I like this. The color for me (200 Nude) is perfect and it doesn't turn orange over the course of the day. To be honest I still get a little oily, but I don't think anything could hold that back. Thing is, I can blot the oil with a tissue and none of the makeup comes off--just the oil...then a light dusting of powder and I'm good to go for another several hours. Not for everyone I guess, but it's working great for me. Thanks for all the reviews--it's why I tried it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2010 4:57:00 PM More reviews by thisgirlnga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was perusing MUA when I saw a review of this foundation. I remembered years ago when a former coworker of mine told me that this was the only foundation that kept her extremely oily skin at bay. So after reading all the reviews I was off to find my perfect shade in this foundation. My initial reaction when I first applied it with a sponge was that it was very runny but dried up quickly, so I had to brush it on quickly. I normally get oily within 2 hrs of my makeup application, but this combined with my Murad oil control mositurizer made my skin look amazing! I was oil free for most of the day, and when I did start to llok oily, it wasnt that nasty oily slick I was getting before, it was a nice dewy glow almost! For someone who is as acne prone and oily as myself, I would most definately reccomend this product. I'm an NC35 and I wear the Golden Beige.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2010 10:15:00 PM More reviews by sweetcolors

Ok, I think its safe to write a review now that I've used this foundation for over a year. My shade is 400 caramel in the normal/dry range. I put a little moisturizer (Cethapil) on my face than follow up with Iman undercover agent primer. I then let that sit for a couple minutes. Now I have to admit that this foundation can be cakey; and it used to be a little too cakey for my personal taste. However, I really love this foundation (because of the coverage and its long-lasting durability - and it doesnt oxidize!) so I could never bring myself to get rid of it. Now I use Mark Mist opportunity and I am happy to say that it GREATLY reduces the cakiness that some people may experience. After, I let the primer sit for a couple minutes, I then spray my face with the Mark Mist- a few pumps will do. I then spray my brush (sigma f80 flat top). I then apply the foundation (work in smaller sections because it does dry fast). After I do that I spray my face again (1 pump) than add my concealer (coastal scents camouflage concealer pallete). Once I do that then I spray again with Mark Mist. I notice that the finish is not cakey and that it becomes like my second skin. I also do not have to blend as much as I used to before. Mark Mist fixed the problem for me. Believe me, I tried mixing it with moisturizer, water, other foundations but it was still a little too cakey. So Mark Mist was a godsend lol.

All in all, I really, really wish there was a pump. The spout can get messy and you will pour out more than you wish so you have to be careful.

Now, when it is time to wash it off my face (and my brushes) I noticed that regular cleanser or soap will not do. Maybe for other people but not for me. Revlon colorstay is something serious when it comes to staying on your skin! So what I do is use extra virgin olive oil (any brand) and slather it on my face. I than massage it for about a minute. Than I use warm water (as warm as I can stand) and start splashing my face. I couldnt believe the amount of debris and foundtion I saw floating in my sink. I was disgusted :) After that, then I follow up with my cleanser to wash off the slight film/residue that may be left on my skin from the oil. Than splash my face with cold water and call it a night!

Hope this helped.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2010 9:48:00 PM More reviews by dollfaycexo

I've heard a lot of good things about this foundation, so I decided to give it a try.
    First of all, this doesn't have a pump. Do I even need to explain why that's bad?
    Second of all, this SMELLS. Like chemicals. It's disgusting.
    Coverage is good, but it feels sooo heavy on my face and it just looks cakey, even if I use a little bit of water on my face.
    It was about $13 dollars. Total waste of my money.
    I will not repurchase this ever again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2010 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Okaymichelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Everyone always raves about this stuff so I figured I would try it since it's not expensive... Honestly, worst mistake I've ever made. It broke me out around my mouth and I barely ever get break outs. I thought it was just me but it happened to 2 other of my friends who also tried this product and when I switched foundations my breakouts started clearing up. However, even though it broke me out, it gave me great coverage and kept my skin matte for quite a while without touch ups which is rare skin I have oily skin hence the reason for 3 stars. So I guess if you don't really break out buy it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by cosmopolitan1930

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation! I like how it goes on and blends and covers what ever I need to cover. I got it in the buff beige shade/ combo skin and it works great! I give it a 4 on packaging quality because I wished it had a pump, but that won't keep me from buying it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2010 12:25:00 PM More reviews by people52005

After all the raved reviews on this foundation, I decided to try this product. I have used liquid foundations in the past but my face always ended up greasy after 2 hours. I bought this in the oily/combination formula as my t-zone area can become slightly oily. I bought it from superdrug's for £12 in the mahoghany shade. Unfortunately, when I got home and tried it on, it was too dark for my skin and the undertones were too grey. However, the day I tried it on, even though it was a very hot day, the foundation stayed flawless and I was outside for 10 hours. Even after I excercised, the foundation looked fresh, flawless and natural. It also has a nice perfume scent. The consistency is quite thin and runny; similar to mac studio fix. You have to blend in quickly becuase it dries fast and you will be left with streaks. I used my fingertips to apply it. There is no pump so you have to be careful that you don't pour too much to avoid wastage. Even though the shade I bought was too dark, it is the best liquid foundation I have ever tried. In the UK, the only shade they sell for black women is in the mahoghany shade but I'm sure the caramel or cappacino shade would've suited my skin. I advise you to buy mini testers from eBay for around £1.50 so you don't end up wasting £12! Also, the foundation is transfer resistant and it doesn't go onto my tissue when I blow my nose!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by beautybygrace

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Favorite go-to foundation. Use with primer and fingers for low to medium coverage. Use w/a foundation brush for full coverage. Lasts all day. Love, love that it does not transfer. You don't have to worry about it getting on your clothes or other people's if you hug someone. I use the caramel for oily skin. This is a good match for me. I want to use the caramel for dry skin but it is too light. It can be found at walmart for $10 or less.