October 21, 2014 | 1951 users online

Liquid - L'Oreal - True Match Super-Blendable Makeup SPF 17

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2004 11:48:00 PM More reviews by FaintlyMacabre

I'd been searching for a foundation that wouldn't actually look like foundation on my face for a while, and it looks like I've found it for the time being! This goes on very natural-looking with a slightly dewy finish. While the display indicated that the coverage was "light", I find that with a bit of layering, I can get medium coverage out of this with no cakeyness at all! I think you'd have to be applying a hell of a lot to get this stuff to pill up on the skin...

The downside to this would be that it doesn't control oil at all, and while the dewy finish looks very natural and fresh to start, my combination skin can look greasy later on. The solution? Find a good powder to dust on over top, and the problem is solved.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2004 10:37:00 AM More reviews by Sashayy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I am on a three month odyssey to find my HG foundation. Based on early buzz for this, plus the full colour 2 page InStyle and Glamour ads (yes I'm an advertiser's wet dream - a total dupe sometimes) I decided to go to the drugstore and try it out.

I thought that the colour ranges seemed good. There was a wide range of colours, including some very light ones that could work for my very PPP skin (I'm NC15 bordering on NC10 if Mac made it). I bought it in the W1 and thought "how bad could a L'Oreal product be?"

Well I've learned my lesson. This stuff is evil for me, no other way to look at it. It has to be applied with fingers because of the oily consistency -- try putting it on with a brush and it is Streak City, plus you practically ruin your foundation brush (I had to soak my Mac 190 overnight in brush cleaner and still it left a residue!).

Now, normally I don't mind moisturizing formulas given that I have dry skin, but this one was tacky and pilled on my skin when I applied with my fingers. Ick! It also emphasized every slightly large pore or wrinkle on my 35 year old face, settled into the creases next to my nose, accentuated the few blackheads I've got and made my freckles look like strange blotchy brown bruises. To add injury to insult, the next morning, I woke up with three cystic blemishes on my left cheek!

The only things this had going for it IMO are the colour and the $9 price tag (bought in US at CVS) but obviously considering the rest of the wear experience, I'll pass on this forever.

My HG? no way, no how, definitely NOT. Not sure it could be _anyone's_ actually. If it doesn't work on my super-dry skin, whose skin will it work for? continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2004 5:33:00 PM More reviews by toad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this as a concealer -- C1 -- the other concealers I've bought have either been too yellow or too sheer -- so I decided to try foundation as concealer instead. Set with powder, it's perfect. I think the cool undertone is what makes the difference for me -- not yellowy.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2004 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Frogilina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I find the name of this product laughable. I spent over $25 to try to find my true match and never did. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by just buying my usual Clinique Super Balanced (and even had almost enough money left over for a lipstick)! I tried True Match in C5, which, when I got it home looked a totally different color than it did in the store. Then I went to the L'Oreal website which suggested C2. At first it seemed to match pretty well, but as the day progressed it turned darker and pinker. I then bought C1 which made me look like I had just been released from the hospital after a long illness so I tried mixing it with C2. I felt like a mad scientist! Too much work just to make your skin look a little better. I'm going to the Clinique counter tomorrow. It's even bonus time. Woohoo!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2004 1:07:00 PM More reviews by jlcbecabc

At first, I really liked this foundation because it matched soooo well. However, it made my face a total oil slick, and I don't have extremely oily skin normally. It also broke me out pretty badly. I generally don't have a lot of breakouts either, so this is on my taboo foundation list. Going back to my Shiseido for now.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2004 6:33:00 PM More reviews by mrswhite072895

At first, I loved L'oreal's True Match foundation in C8 (Cool Cocoa) when I tried the $1.99 sample. With a $2 coupon in hand, I went off and bought a full sized bottle. Suddenly, I became disappointed in the product.

On the upside, I had also found a foundation that was near perfection for me. It was easy to apply with a wedge sponge, blended perfectly along the edges of my face without looking like a mask, and it gave me a natural looke while covering up my imperfections. However, it turned my face into an oil slick. I didn't break out, but my face became shiny nearly an hour of applying it. Even applying L'oreal's Hydrating Illuminating loose powder to set the make-up didn't keep the shinyness at bay. Finally, to say it made my eyeshadow and eyeliner smudge would be a great understatement.

But damnit, it blended and matched so well. *sigh*

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2004 1:54:00 AM More reviews by ewalsted

How can I love and hate a foundation so much at the same time? OK, the N1 is actually a perfect color for me and the coverage is awesome. BUT, my face is an oil pit after a few hours of wear. Does't make me break out but my face looks gross. I actually had to buy blotting papers for the first time in over 10 years. Darn it! Just when I find a color that isn't too dark or pink....arghh! I will continue to buy this (on my 2nd bottle now) until reflect.com *hopefully* gets my HG of foundations right!

***UPDATE*** Reflect.com was a bust, and I've moved onto Bare Escentuals for everyday foundation, however, I still use this to cover my undereye circles because it's very creamy, allows you to build coverage, and just looks a lot better than any of the concealers I've tried...and don't even think about using BE under your eyes unless you want to magnify any lines you have around your eyes. For this reason, I will continue to repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2004 7:08:00 PM More reviews by rubysubi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Firstly, i must mention that i am AA (but mixed), so finding a good foundation is a nightmare anyways... this is an absolutely APPALLING product, i have oily skin but it made me look ashy and chalky and dried my skin.. everyone noticed that i had foundation on (even though i wear foundation every day anyways) and one guy even said i looked anemic - even in shades darker than mine! will stick with MAC and Black Opal from now on.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2004 1:51:00 PM More reviews by librabeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This wasn't my favorite foundation... my match was N-3 and when I intially put it on in the morning it matched well. but over the course of the day it seemed to darken and make my forhead oily. it went on smoothly but didn't leave my skin particularly glowing, like I wanted it to. Overall, an ok product but I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2004 12:38:00 PM More reviews by electro_cutting

This is the exact foundation I was looking for- something that dosn't look like anything! I've tried many others and it was obvious I was wearing makeup, but now people just think I have great skin. It lasts all day, even longer then my former foundation Revlon Colorstay. It never gets cakey and I can layer and layer this stuff on. Its a little expensive for the amount you get, but soooo worth it!