October 21, 2014 | 1946 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2010 5:24:00 AM More reviews by jaya_1981

This really is the best foundation ever!! My skin looks flawless when I apply it and it stays put all day/night. The only thing I hate is the packaging. Why doesn't it have a pump! And, I dont like the glass bottle.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by myusernameisthecoolest

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Honestly, this deserves a better rating than I'm giving it. It's a really good coverage foundation that blends easily (although you need to blend fast), and there's also a wide range of colors. I have dry skin and all other foundations, even the dry/combination ones, have showed either patchiness or dry flakes. However, this one does not.
    The reason why I'm only rating this 3 stars though is because it broke me out so badly. I guess it's because I have sensitive skin which is also acne prone. I really wish I could use this foundation, but I can't because of the break out factor.
    And in addition, the bottle could use a pump. You waste so much product the way it's packaged now.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2010 11:37:00 PM More reviews by ElleLeigh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation is great if you apply it properly. DON'T apply it with your fingers or a sponge if possible, because they won't be able to spread a little bit a long way with flawless coverage.
    Because this is a very thick formula, if you don't use a brush (you want a stippling brush or a flat topped bronzer/powder brush, not a regular foundation brush) it will not blend out nicely and it will look thick and cakey on your face.
    (And I know some people seem to LIKE this look but it is extremely unattractive to everyone else.)
    I used to use this with my fingers, but in natural light it looked so fake that I ditched this foundation altogether. Then one day I ran out of my clinique, and I tried applying this using a stippling brush and I realised it was actually a very good foundation, as long as you use a very very small amount, one area of your face at a time.
    Even with a brush, if you use too much you will still look cakey. I have skin that is a bit scarred with a decent amount of redness and occasional spots, and all I need is about a water-drop-sized-amount on each cheek, chin and forehead. (One drop on each, not one for my whole face). Then, working in circular motions, I will blend out each area and then blend a little under my jawline.
    This does dry fast, so I recommend taking the amount you need for one section, working on that, then coming back and getting more out for your next section. obviously you need to blend the areas together!
    Also, if you have acne-prone skin, you may need a little more, but don't use so much that you look cakey in natural light. Just use concealer on specific spots that need coverage instead =)
    Hope this helped! =/

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 9:21:00 PM More reviews by wandaanabella

Best foundation ever

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2010 5:19:00 PM More reviews by eyeheartyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product was only okay. I bought this because all of the hype but I'm not very impressed with it. Normally I don't care if a foundation comes with a pump or not but boy oh boy... this one needs to come with a pump. It's so liquidy and runny. For all my foundations without a pump I just dip a q-tip in the bottle and dab the foundation on my face - no problem, I've never had any issues with dripping or anything with any other foundation, but this one is so runny that twice in a two week period I ended up drops of foundation on my clothes... -_-. And apparently its pretty difficult to get out of your clothes... The coverage is a bit sheerer than I'd like. Overall... I'll slowly use this up and move on. I definitely prefer Photo Ready over this.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2010 4:47:00 PM More reviews by colombianaj93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

SoI don't particularly love this product because its too heavy, but i heard on ellle's youtube, username allthatglitters that Revlon Colorstay is going to be made with a PUMP!!!!! yay! I dont know the source for this information, but its good!

-also i believe the video is the foundation comparison one with photoready and colorstay, its pretty recent

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2010 2:22:00 PM More reviews by spacecow17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It is pretty expensive for a drugstore brand. I bought mine for 11 - 13 bucks. And for the price that I am paying for, I would at least expect it to come with a pump. Without a pump, you tend to waste a lot more product. However, the price is a lot cheaper than most of my high end foundations. For example my MUFE HD foudation which is 40+ bucks.

For a drugstore foundation, the quality is not bad. In fact, I think its comparable to a department store foundation.Coverage is very good, it covers my acne marks very well - which in turn, helps me use less concealer. But mind you, it is a very thick consistency. Applying layers and layers of this will make your face look like a mask. One tiny droplet is just enough to cover your entire face. What I usually do is apply my moisturizer first and use a damp sponge, squeeze the excess water and then use it to apply the foudation. It really helps thining out the consistency, making it easier to blend, and to avoid it from drying/setting too quickly. And it does dry very quick, so you must blend as fast as you can if you don't want to try this method.

As far as the oil control goes, it really does a great job at preventing your face from looking like a oil slick by the end of the day. The lasting power of this foudation is insanely long. I hear horror stories of this foudation causing breakouts and clogging pores. And that may be due to the fact that it is incredibly difficult to remove. To avoid that, I use my makeup remover tissues before I wash my face and I make sure there is no hint of color left on the wipe. I have not had any breakouts at all.

The color range of this foudation is pretty diverse compared to most foudations, however there could be more yellow/golden based shades. I am an NC 35, a 140 in MUFE HD Foundation, and I use the 300Golden Beige in Revlon Colorstay Combination/ Oily skin.
    It is a tad bit dark and more beige-y looking on my skin, but the shade is not anything too peculiar. I just would have to blend it down on my neck and jawline.

Its not a very natural looking foudation, so those who want more natural looking foundation should look elsewhere. Other than that, I would recommend this foundation for anyone on a budget looking for a good quality drugstore foudation.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 12:42:00 PM More reviews by rastaxcore

Despite my low-ish rating, I would buy this again because it sticks to my skin like no other. Where I live the heat and humidity are absolutely makeup killers and this stays put. While I haven't had any allergy-type reactions to this foundation, the reviewers below are correct when they say it clogs pores. That's why it sticks so well! However, if you clean your skin especially well in the evenings and remove your makeup before you actually wash your face it will help a lot. I also recommend using a black towel to dry your face, that way you can see if there's any residue and you can wash the rest off. I would probably repurchase this because compared to my other foundations, which run $30+, it's a decent price for something I'd find myself using in the summer or to parties, shows, etc. Oh, and I don't think the smell is that bad, I didn't even notice it until I saw other reviewers talking about it. I guess I haven't used much liquid foundation since 10 years ago when I was covering my 14-year-old acne and back then, everything smelled remotely of paint. However, I do wish they would stock slightly lighter/cooler shades. This is one of the lightest drugstore shades and it wasn't *quite* perfect, then again, the only thing I've found that is is from CoverFX.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 12:19:00 AM More reviews by trisheee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

God knows I wanted to love this foundation! But, UGH!!! Wearing this it felt like my face was on fire and itched so badly that I had to wash it off 20 minutes after applying. I had a horrible reaction to this stuff. My NW25 dry skin rejected it in every way possible. I have fairly decent skin with no acne, however, I do have some redness on my checks and some discoloration from aging (48) but can usually cover it up with most foundations. I couldn't get decent coverage with this foundation! The more I tried to layer the worse it looked...and felt. Like a clay mask that just sat on top of my face that looked and felt horrible! Surprising, because I'm not typically sensitive to other foundations. This one just didn't agree with me at all! I'll stick with my dream SMOOTH mousse in the summertime and the new L'oreal Lift with serum in winter, Now those two are the BOMB!! Perfect, with a beautiful long lasting finish that gives me the look and feel I'm after! Colorstay was YUK...IMO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by b3l0vEd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Edit:
    I started breaking out a little after a month of using this, and then I found out that the reason for my breakouts is that I haven't been removing this completely every time I take off my makeup. Unlike other foundations that Ive used previously, CS doesn't come off completely with just cleansing. I have to remove it with baby wipes first, then cleanse, and then finish off with a toner. Even though it requires a lot of steps to remove, I still wear this foundation daily because I love the coverage and how long it lasts on my face. One bad thing I noticed though, is that it leaves a white cast or "ghost face" in flash photography.

This is my very first drugstore foundation purchase and I'm really really impressed by this! I'm NC30, and the shade 300 golden beige is perfect for it in the combination/oily skin formula. I love how it's really long lasting, after sweating all day at the fair, this foundation was still on my face. I use the sonia kashuk skunk brush to apply it and it gives me a really light and even application. This foundation has a matte finish but I also like to mix it with a little bit of liquid luminizer for when I want a little glow. I've been using it for about a month now and I have not broken out. The packaging sucks, I wish it came in a bottle with pump. I would definitely repurchase