October 2, 2014 | 998 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2008 11:39:00 PM More reviews by jennifer_ca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

One coat of Glam Black was nice, and my lashes did look longer. I should preface my review by stating that I don't wear much make-up, have naturally black lashes and don't like a big-lash look on me, so my bad for purchasing a mascara with 'Colossal' in the title (I couldn't resist after reading the MUA reviews, the yellow packaging, and the big displays in every drugstore).

Anyway, my poor rating came from when I applied the 2nd coat... I ended up with tarantula legs, yuck! The tube opening seems a bit wider, which made the brush come out goopy with mascara. I prefer a tube with a tighter opening so the brush comes out with less product, then I can build-up more coats. I might try Colossal again (one coat only), but my HG mascara remains Maybelline Full N' Soft, which provides a natural, softer looking lash.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 8:39:00 PM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm faithful to my Loreal Voluminous, but wanted to try this after all the hype, and it was onsale for $4.99 at walgreens. I'm glad i did! It didn't seem to fatten my lashes up, but it did lengthen them TONS, especially my bottom lashes. I'm going to give this a few days to set as i find after opening mascara it changes sometimes. So far I like the definition of seperated long lashes, I might try a coat of loreal to fatten them up, and then use this for lengthening. I love the packaging! The smell is so strange, but no one smells lashes so it's no biggie.

edit: my top lashes have began breaking off after using this. I've never had that happen with a mascara before!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

i bought this because (i bet like most of us) i am a sucker for any mascara that uses exciting words to describe how huge my eyelashes will be when i use it. the stuff is *good enough* but once again nothing is as good as trusty L'Oreal VOLUMINOUS. high end or low end, whatever i try, i always go back to that. *EDIT* i would like to update to mention i do not have good results when i use this with my Shiseido base. sticky lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. I like this. After reading all the positive reviews on this, I decided to try it. It's very good. My lashes are by no means long or thick (thoughI found something that did improve them; more on that in another post). Anyway, as soon as I cam home, I tried this on. VERY nice. Only a basic coat made my lashes decidedly obvious. I work at Sephora so I get a lot of "samples." I tried Diorshow Black Out, but I was less than impressed. I found out that, contrary to common experience, the bigger the brush, the less it takes little lashes like mine. It's either smaller brushes (like Clinique's and Shu Uemura) or the plastic ones, that get all lashes. Also, I need something to lengthen my lashes, as well as thicken them. This does the trick. I would re purchase this. Can't beat paying $7, as opposed to $20 - $32, for a mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2008 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Sheepie1813

The Colossal is a nice mascara, but I wouldn't buy it again. Yes, my lashes seem a bit thicker and blacker, but I guess I don't really need that since I already have pretty thick lashes. I'm more in for a stretching, curling mascara. This stuff does hold a curl, but for some reason my eyes feel very dry after wearing the product.

I actually liked the brush a lot--the Cover Girl plastic bristle brushes just drive me crazy, but this was almost like a fiber brush with the benefits of the plastic. Nice.

As for the smell, it was very familiar. It reminded me of Big Fatty by BeneFit--possibly some volumizing factor that they have in common?

I'll probably use this until the next one comes along ...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by sexyglam

For as big and bright as the packaging is, you would think that you would end up with dark, big lashes, but that's not the case at all. I think mascaras are hard to rate because not everyone is looking for the same effects from a mascara, with that being said if you like your lashes to look black, glossy and defined this may be the mascara for you. I love to have big, super dark, fake looking lashes and this mascara definitely did NOT live up to that. If your faves are Volumous, Diorshow, on anything along those lines you will not be impressed with this mascara. I got much more volume with lash blast which has of course similar bright packaging but thats about all they have in common.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I didn't find this volumizing at all. It was a nice, glossy black (I got Glam Black) that gave me a slightly-more-than-natural look. The regular Volum' Express mascaras give much more dramatic lashes but they do tend to clump so you need to wipe the wand or comb through your lashes.

Colossal was decent but I prefer Max Factor's Lash Perfection/Masterpiece when it comes to mascaras with rubber brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

in my opinion, this mascara is the strongest diorshow competitor ive ever seen come out of the drugstore. and for those complaining about the smell, it is NOTHING compared to diorshows ridiculously strong, perfume-y, rose scent.

it has super thick bristles that seem to grab every lash and impart amazing volume and length without clumping, from the very first coat. and glam black is a stunning, inky black that makes lashes look even more lush.

i looove this stuff and (gasp!) may use it to replace my diorshow for a while if it continues to perform the way it has thus far. im a sucker for a bargain. A+

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 12:13:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Ooh, I likey! I was surprised because all previous versions of Volum'Express were depressing. I was wary of the smell that previous reviewers mentioned, but you know what - the scent actually really reminds me of MAC Fiberlash, and I never hear anyone complaining about that. Anyway, this stuff is really good! I got the Glam Black, which is a dark, blue-black, very nice. The brush is large, but not unwieldy. Compared to CG Lash Blast, I like this better because the brush tip is tapered, so you can get the outer and bottom lashes. It fans out the lashes quite nicely, and it lengthens better than it volumizes. It gives me pretty, feathery lashes, and also holds the curl very well. So pretty. It also removes well at the end of the day with my Bi-Facil remover. For reference, I have short, stubby Asian lashes. My other faves are YSL Faux Cils and DiorShow, as well as Smashbox Bionic.
EDIT: I repurchased another tube, and I am highly disappointed. It's just average - not much length, not much volume. Sadly, I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2008 2:06:00 AM More reviews by xmandee

It's good, but not the best. Great for the price though. Nice colors for packaging. Probably one of the best I've used so far, and I like it more than Diorshow and other expensive mascaras.

I really don't like the huge brush, it's hard for me to get the very ends of my lashes without ruining my eye shadow and eyeliner because parts of it get on my eyelid.

It volumizes decently, it's okay at separation (I prefer comb-like style of brush), and it lengthens pretty well.

It's a well rounded, big brushed mascara with a nice price tag.