October 21, 2014 | 1827 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpIsFabulous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I usualy use Max Factor's Lash Perfection and Volume Couture which work fabulously. So I had a $2 off Maybelline coupon and the mascarra was $5.99 on sale, so I got the mascara for like $3.99 or so. Well, I get home and I try this mascara and I was like (O.O) !!!! It worked!! and it didn't smell like I heard it would smell. I really can not decide if I should start using the Colossal Volum' Express mascara or use the Max Factor's Lash Perfection and Volume couture?

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2008 4:24:00 PM More reviews by macompanick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My current go-to mascara is Max Factor Volume Couture, but it has been delivering inconsistent results. So, on a recent trip to CVS, I was suckered in by the display for Maybelline The Colossal. Interestingly, I hadn't heard anything about this mascara in my fashion magazines, so I wasn't swayed one way or another, but I digress.

After about a week of use, I am really into The Colossal. It gives so much volume and color that I didn't need to wear eyeliner a few days this week! Yes, the formula does dry quickly and by no means would I believe the claim that this mascara is clump-free, but I adore big, chunky lashes, so it works for me. I understand what others say about the scent - upon opening the tube, there is a strong rose scent (which I don't like in any product), but it goes away after applying, so I won't complain about that.

The Colossal lasts through my11-hour day with no smudging or flaking, no irritation, and it's easy to remove with my cleanser (I refuse to use a separate eye makeup remover).

If I'm still using in a few weeks, I'll bump up my review to 5 lippies. Right now, I can't see any reason to switch - this is a great mascara at an excellent price.

EDIT: After using for several weeks, the stopper at the top of the tube came loose and all I got was a wand full of gunk. Downgrading to 3 lippies.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by mimi682

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara out of curiosity. I like the eye catching packaging but that's about it!! I don't care at all for the smell, it is nothing to complain about but, I don't like it! It clumps worse then any other mascara I have used. I thought is was going to be something great but I was far from impressed with this product, glad it was cheap!! It deffinatly won't be something I will repurchase in the future!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 10:27:00 AM More reviews by tulipswallow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not sure I've ever used the "HG" term here on MUA -- I see it overused so often, and I try to save it for those few life-changing type products which come around so seldom. I will say this for Colossal -- it's as close to a HG as I've ever come in the mascara world.

I bought this in Glam Black for 4.99 at CVS. 4.99 for this mascara is stupid cheap. If this was half the mascara made by any high-end company at 5x the price, there would already be a cult following.

The brush is huge, teddy bear, thick bristles, nicely tapered at the end -- the brush finds lashes I had long forgotten. It's easy to apply, and the brush allows you to get deep to the root of the lash, giving crazy fullness and length. I find it better to allow just a split second between swipes -- no flutter quick strokes for application for this one -- slow down just a hair and you'll love the results.

Glam Black just seems a touch cooler than any classic black in my collection. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference on my eyes.

It's been about 90 degrees here on the east coast, humid, damp, ugly summer weather, and I tend to rely on waterproof mascaras, but this has shown no signs of smudging, flaking, or running. And removal is super easy with nothing but soap and water.

The smell? Ummm ... it smells like make-up. Not sure what the fuss is about. It's not one of those over-scented roses mascaras that seemed so popular for a while. It's just ... make-up. *shrug*

I will repurchase. I will repurchase today, as a matter of fact, as I have some extra-bucks from CVS and I would like a back-up. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2008 11:39:00 PM More reviews by jennifer_ca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

One coat of Glam Black was nice, and my lashes did look longer. I should preface my review by stating that I don't wear much make-up, have naturally black lashes and don't like a big-lash look on me, so my bad for purchasing a mascara with 'Colossal' in the title (I couldn't resist after reading the MUA reviews, the yellow packaging, and the big displays in every drugstore).

Anyway, my poor rating came from when I applied the 2nd coat... I ended up with tarantula legs, yuck! The tube opening seems a bit wider, which made the brush come out goopy with mascara. I prefer a tube with a tighter opening so the brush comes out with less product, then I can build-up more coats. I might try Colossal again (one coat only), but my HG mascara remains Maybelline Full N' Soft, which provides a natural, softer looking lash.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 8:39:00 PM More reviews by my_vanity_is_a_mess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm faithful to my Loreal Voluminous, but wanted to try this after all the hype, and it was onsale for $4.99 at walgreens. I'm glad i did! It didn't seem to fatten my lashes up, but it did lengthen them TONS, especially my bottom lashes. I'm going to give this a few days to set as i find after opening mascara it changes sometimes. So far I like the definition of seperated long lashes, I might try a coat of loreal to fatten them up, and then use this for lengthening. I love the packaging! The smell is so strange, but no one smells lashes so it's no biggie.

edit: my top lashes have began breaking off after using this. I've never had that happen with a mascara before!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

i bought this because (i bet like most of us) i am a sucker for any mascara that uses exciting words to describe how huge my eyelashes will be when i use it. the stuff is *good enough* but once again nothing is as good as trusty L'Oreal VOLUMINOUS. high end or low end, whatever i try, i always go back to that. *EDIT* i would like to update to mention i do not have good results when i use this with my Shiseido base. sticky lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. I like this. After reading all the positive reviews on this, I decided to try it. It's very good. My lashes are by no means long or thick (thoughI found something that did improve them; more on that in another post). Anyway, as soon as I cam home, I tried this on. VERY nice. Only a basic coat made my lashes decidedly obvious. I work at Sephora so I get a lot of "samples." I tried Diorshow Black Out, but I was less than impressed. I found out that, contrary to common experience, the bigger the brush, the less it takes little lashes like mine. It's either smaller brushes (like Clinique's and Shu Uemura) or the plastic ones, that get all lashes. Also, I need something to lengthen my lashes, as well as thicken them. This does the trick. I would re purchase this. Can't beat paying $7, as opposed to $20 - $32, for a mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2008 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Sheepie1813

The Colossal is a nice mascara, but I wouldn't buy it again. Yes, my lashes seem a bit thicker and blacker, but I guess I don't really need that since I already have pretty thick lashes. I'm more in for a stretching, curling mascara. This stuff does hold a curl, but for some reason my eyes feel very dry after wearing the product.

I actually liked the brush a lot--the Cover Girl plastic bristle brushes just drive me crazy, but this was almost like a fiber brush with the benefits of the plastic. Nice.

As for the smell, it was very familiar. It reminded me of Big Fatty by BeneFit--possibly some volumizing factor that they have in common?

I'll probably use this until the next one comes along ...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by sexyglam

For as big and bright as the packaging is, you would think that you would end up with dark, big lashes, but that's not the case at all. I think mascaras are hard to rate because not everyone is looking for the same effects from a mascara, with that being said if you like your lashes to look black, glossy and defined this may be the mascara for you. I love to have big, super dark, fake looking lashes and this mascara definitely did NOT live up to that. If your faves are Volumous, Diorshow, on anything along those lines you will not be impressed with this mascara. I got much more volume with lash blast which has of course similar bright packaging but thats about all they have in common.