September 23, 2014 | 910 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 7:23:00 AM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got an amazing deal on these mascaras - 4 (2 glam blacks & 2 classic blacks) for only £10! The mascara itself comes in two colours -- glam black & classic black. Glam black has a subtle blue undertone to it, so it's more of a cool, less harsh black than the classic one. The bottle is yellow coloured with purple fonting - it looks funky & stands out in my makeup bag.

The packaging states that the mascara gives 9x the volume in 1 stroke without clumps. I wasn't born yesterday - I know that no mascara will give 9x the volume in 1 stroke to my short lashes, but I was pleased that it offered volume. Once Iíd managed to remove the mascara from the packaging and I opened the bottle, I noticed how big the brush looked. It's a typical teddy bear brush with lots of bristles, which isn't so good for those tiny corner lashes, but still. People have complained about the smell, but I don't find it bad at all. It's got a slight smell of artificial roses, but the smell disappears once it's put on the lashes. I personally don't sit there all day holiding the wand under my nose, so the smell doesn't bother me at all.

The first time I used this mascara I applied 2 coats. My lashes looked better in length & also volume with no clumps. It gives a good curl aswell which holds up all day. This mascara has collagen in it, which I'm guessing helps alot with pumping up my lashes. I was impressed! As I mentioned before, I have short lashes, but the length this gave me was good. Not as good as my HG Maybelline Volum' Express Curved Brush mascara, but still good. It lasts very well over the day and does not smudge or smear as the day wears on, and although it does not claim to be smudge-proof Ė it actually should, because all the times Iíve used it, it hasnít once smudged! There is some slight flaking as the hours pass by, but I can live with that. I must also add that this mascara doesn't leave my lashes feeling crusty when I have it on, but they feel so soft! Removing the mascara is also a doddle. I just use my oil based eyemakeup remover & it comes off easily.

My eyes can be quite sensitive to some products I use, so I have to be fairly careful when trying new products. Colossal Express is kind to my eyes and (thus far) I have not developed a sensitivity to it! This may be of course as the packaging also states that it has been tested under ophthamological conditions and that it is also suitable for people with sensitive eyes as well as contact lens wearers.

I would repurchase this mascara because of the great price, big brush, funky tube & the volumizing/lengthening effects it gives me. Glam Black is my favourite shade, but the classic black is good too. It's not an AMAZING mascara, but it's a very damn good one!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2008 10:14:00 PM More reviews by amroa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i cannot believe maybelline would have my HG mascara!! i've tried everything, from diorshow to NYC and everything in between and although i've found some are better than others, the price paid was not worth it for the difference it made..until i found colossal. i saw the packaging and i came home and looked it up on mua. I was surprised people were complaining that the mascara was a bit too dramatic and it lengthened too much, because that's what i go for in mascaras. So i went and i bought it, even though full & soft had better rating and was recommended by a coworker and when i tried it, i wondered where is the colossal in this equation? i did not see the length or the drama ( i have medium length lashes that have okay volume), the smell reminded me a lot of my last mac mascara...i want to say it was X, but the texture was amazing, at then end of a long day at work my lashes looked fresh and soft, with no excessive volume, but just right. i can finally say i found my HG mascara, and i cannot believe it's maybelline!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by chickety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know people expect different things from mascaras so I'll tell you about me and what I expect. I have naturally longish but wispy thin lashes that are somewhat naturally curled. I love thick seperated fanned out dramatic lashes that still look and feel natural (yes, I know I'm asking a lot). The mascara I love most is Lancome Hypnose, and I also love Tarte Lights Camera Lashes for reference. But I still try every new mascara just for fun. And this one was just ok. The smell is 10x worse than the scent in Diorshow in my opinion, its much more artificial and it makes me hold my breath. I bought The Colossal in 'Glam Black' which is a nice black color. Application was not impressive. It didn't really lengthen for me at all, it seperated nicely and thickened lashes some. I didn't have any clumping. But it flakes quite a bit, and there was also some smudging. Others compare it to Cover Girl Lash Blast, well I love Lash Blast *much* better than The Colossal. This mascara is ok for seperation, thickens lashes a bit, and it doesn't tend to clump. But, that's about it. I wont be repurchasing.

[EDIT]
I am changing my rating from 3 lippies down to 2. There is just too much flaking and the mascara really doesn't do much. Oh and I ALWAYS use a lash primer, either Lancome Cils Booster XL or Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base, and even with primer, this mascara is weak. Also I don't hold the wand up to my nose, I simply apply it to my lashes like every other mascara, and I have to hold my breath or I smell a thick, artificial, headache inducing scent. I know everyone is different, but me, I'm tossing this mascara in the garbage.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by smallpup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate to give a poor review to this mascara, because initially it looks great, but a few hours into my day and flakes! I can't deal with that at all. I can deal with the rose fragrance, which lasted a couple of hours on me, but not flakes. Such a shame because I loved Glam Black.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2008 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Rbeezer

I bought this mascara because I've had such good experiences with other maybelline mascaras, I was jazzed by the idea this might be their best mascara yet. I was wrong. It does make lashes long and dark and thick but they also made mine spikey. I want a mascara that I can use as is, without the need for a separate lash comb to get out lumps or spikes. I've tried this as a second coat after using Lash Discovery and used that way, it rocks. And I love the rich color it has. But I'm not buying it again and I just may throw this tube out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

well, this mascara is obviously Maybelline's answer to CG Lash Blast; the big chubby bright tube, the huge brush, the promise of extremely thick lashes-- they must have gotten nervous since LB was such a big hit (i don't know why, i think it's mediocre at best) that they decided they better come up with a competitor! i'm happy to report that this easily beats Lash Blast in my book. Colossal Volum'Express is a very nice, above average mascara, especially for the drugstore. it gave me long, feathery, just-thick-enough lashes that were a sooty matte black and it held up perfectly for almost 12 hours, until i washed it off, and right before i jumped in the shower my lashes looked as good as the moment i applied. not a smudge or flake in sight!!! as for curl, which is probably the #1 most important thing to me, i would give it 6/10. it held up fairly well, but not as well as i like, since i like my lashes curled straight up for the longest look possible. Colossal washed off easily with soap and water and didn't leave a trace of the black smudgies that i despise under my eyes after my shower, and i was incredibly pleased with that. i think that this is a very good mascara, but i still prefer my drugstore HG, CG Volume Exact, because it holds a curl better and gives me more of a false-lash look. still, i will definitely wear this mascara (although i'm sure i won't use it up, i'm a mascara freak and buy a new tube atleast once a week) and enjoy it, and for right now i'm giving it 4 lippies. if my feelings towards it change or it starts to look like crap within a week or 2, i will update. **EDIT** this mascara is still just average-good on it's own, but i am LOVING it layered over my CG Volume Exact. i usually don't like to use more than 1 mascara because i think that 1 should do it's job well enough on it's own, but using this on top of CG VE really pumps it up, makes it look darker and glossier and really very nice. i'm glad i've found a way to make this mascara fabulous for me! if you were underwhelmed by it on it's own, try layering it over one of your favorite mascaras that could use a little bit of oomph. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpIsFabulous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I usualy use Max Factor's Lash Perfection and Volume Couture which work fabulously. So I had a $2 off Maybelline coupon and the mascarra was $5.99 on sale, so I got the mascara for like $3.99 or so. Well, I get home and I try this mascara and I was like (O.O) !!!! It worked!! and it didn't smell like I heard it would smell. I really can not decide if I should start using the Colossal Volum' Express mascara or use the Max Factor's Lash Perfection and Volume couture?

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2008 4:24:00 PM More reviews by macompanick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My current go-to mascara is Max Factor Volume Couture, but it has been delivering inconsistent results. So, on a recent trip to CVS, I was suckered in by the display for Maybelline The Colossal. Interestingly, I hadn't heard anything about this mascara in my fashion magazines, so I wasn't swayed one way or another, but I digress.

After about a week of use, I am really into The Colossal. It gives so much volume and color that I didn't need to wear eyeliner a few days this week! Yes, the formula does dry quickly and by no means would I believe the claim that this mascara is clump-free, but I adore big, chunky lashes, so it works for me. I understand what others say about the scent - upon opening the tube, there is a strong rose scent (which I don't like in any product), but it goes away after applying, so I won't complain about that.

The Colossal lasts through my11-hour day with no smudging or flaking, no irritation, and it's easy to remove with my cleanser (I refuse to use a separate eye makeup remover).

If I'm still using in a few weeks, I'll bump up my review to 5 lippies. Right now, I can't see any reason to switch - this is a great mascara at an excellent price.

EDIT: After using for several weeks, the stopper at the top of the tube came loose and all I got was a wand full of gunk. Downgrading to 3 lippies.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by mimi682

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara out of curiosity. I like the eye catching packaging but that's about it!! I don't care at all for the smell, it is nothing to complain about but, I don't like it! It clumps worse then any other mascara I have used. I thought is was going to be something great but I was far from impressed with this product, glad it was cheap!! It deffinatly won't be something I will repurchase in the future!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 10:27:00 AM More reviews by tulipswallow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not sure I've ever used the "HG" term here on MUA -- I see it overused so often, and I try to save it for those few life-changing type products which come around so seldom. I will say this for Colossal -- it's as close to a HG as I've ever come in the mascara world.

I bought this in Glam Black for 4.99 at CVS. 4.99 for this mascara is stupid cheap. If this was half the mascara made by any high-end company at 5x the price, there would already be a cult following.

The brush is huge, teddy bear, thick bristles, nicely tapered at the end -- the brush finds lashes I had long forgotten. It's easy to apply, and the brush allows you to get deep to the root of the lash, giving crazy fullness and length. I find it better to allow just a split second between swipes -- no flutter quick strokes for application for this one -- slow down just a hair and you'll love the results.

Glam Black just seems a touch cooler than any classic black in my collection. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference on my eyes.

It's been about 90 degrees here on the east coast, humid, damp, ugly summer weather, and I tend to rely on waterproof mascaras, but this has shown no signs of smudging, flaking, or running. And removal is super easy with nothing but soap and water.

The smell? Ummm ... it smells like make-up. Not sure what the fuss is about. It's not one of those over-scented roses mascaras that seemed so popular for a while. It's just ... make-up. *shrug*

I will repurchase. I will repurchase today, as a matter of fact, as I have some extra-bucks from CVS and I would like a back-up. continued >>