October 20, 2014 | 1160 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by lachesisss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a mascara fanatic. Maybelline's The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara, in my opinion is slightly better than Covergirl's Lash Blast Mascara. The Brush for Colossal actually helps to build and define lashes without clumping. The brush is bigger, but it makes it easy to add length to your lash tips, something which I couldn't do with Covergirl's Lash Blast. I own the glam black color, and find that the color does not grey out over lash primer. The product itself is flaky without a lash primer. However, I use this mascara with MAC's Prep + Prime, and I experience no flakiness at all. Plus, the primer helps the product wear better on my lashes. Without primer, the mascara is ok, it does not build my lashes to the volume and thickness that I like, but provides a more natural look.

PROS:
- Nice non-clumping large brush that does not stick lashes together.
- Easy to build length.
- Wears very well with lash primer and does not loose color pigmentation.
- Removes easy with soap and water, eye makeup remover or cream cleansers.
- Glam Black is a nice dark black color.
- Priced cheaper than Lash Blast at Wal-Mart.

CONS:
- Smells like roses. It can be overwhelming at times.
- Has obnoxious packaging (which I like, but most would find a little bit of an eyesore).
- Flakes without a lash primer and has a more natural look.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by chandarae

Love it. I am not a fan of drugstore mascara at all and typically spend $$$ on YSL faux cils and Shu Fiber Xtension to be used together. Lash primer, 2 coats of faux cils, and Xtension over that will get me the volume, length, and hold that I like. I've had the Colossal on for about 5 hours now, and there is no sign of droopy lashes- they are the same as when I applied the mascara. I still need to use a primer- either EL or Smashbox, but 2 coats of this baby over that and it looks like we're set for the day. Loving the price as well as the result! As for the fake roses smell, it really doesn't bother me- like someone else said, it smells like makeup and goes away quickly. I can also wear this on my bottom lashes w/out smudging! If this turns out to be a HG for me- I'll wear it exclusively for this week, I'll upgrade to 5 lippies.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Nkruythoff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was very dissapointed with this mascara. I loved the brush, and it did seperate and lengthen pretty well. But the consitency of the mascara sucked. I don't know if it was because the product dried to quickly or what. It dried very dull and had clumps - the "spider leg" effect. I guess I'll try something else...again!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2008 12:08:00 PM More reviews by staceb1990

I bought this after seeing all the ads for it. Overall, it's an OK mascara. It doesn't give me as much volume as I'd like, but it gives me a nice curl, without using an eyelash curler. The thing that I can't stand about this is how flaky it gets by the end of the. The smell is also kinda fierce, but it goes away.

I probably wouldn't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 7:23:00 AM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got an amazing deal on these mascaras - 4 (2 glam blacks & 2 classic blacks) for only £10! The mascara itself comes in two colours -- glam black & classic black. Glam black has a subtle blue undertone to it, so it's more of a cool, less harsh black than the classic one. The bottle is yellow coloured with purple fonting - it looks funky & stands out in my makeup bag.

The packaging states that the mascara gives 9x the volume in 1 stroke without clumps. I wasn't born yesterday - I know that no mascara will give 9x the volume in 1 stroke to my short lashes, but I was pleased that it offered volume. Once Iíd managed to remove the mascara from the packaging and I opened the bottle, I noticed how big the brush looked. It's a typical teddy bear brush with lots of bristles, which isn't so good for those tiny corner lashes, but still. People have complained about the smell, but I don't find it bad at all. It's got a slight smell of artificial roses, but the smell disappears once it's put on the lashes. I personally don't sit there all day holiding the wand under my nose, so the smell doesn't bother me at all.

The first time I used this mascara I applied 2 coats. My lashes looked better in length & also volume with no clumps. It gives a good curl aswell which holds up all day. This mascara has collagen in it, which I'm guessing helps alot with pumping up my lashes. I was impressed! As I mentioned before, I have short lashes, but the length this gave me was good. Not as good as my HG Maybelline Volum' Express Curved Brush mascara, but still good. It lasts very well over the day and does not smudge or smear as the day wears on, and although it does not claim to be smudge-proof Ė it actually should, because all the times Iíve used it, it hasnít once smudged! There is some slight flaking as the hours pass by, but I can live with that. I must also add that this mascara doesn't leave my lashes feeling crusty when I have it on, but they feel so soft! Removing the mascara is also a doddle. I just use my oil based eyemakeup remover & it comes off easily.

My eyes can be quite sensitive to some products I use, so I have to be fairly careful when trying new products. Colossal Express is kind to my eyes and (thus far) I have not developed a sensitivity to it! This may be of course as the packaging also states that it has been tested under ophthamological conditions and that it is also suitable for people with sensitive eyes as well as contact lens wearers.

I would repurchase this mascara because of the great price, big brush, funky tube & the volumizing/lengthening effects it gives me. Glam Black is my favourite shade, but the classic black is good too. It's not an AMAZING mascara, but it's a very damn good one!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2008 10:14:00 PM More reviews by amroa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i cannot believe maybelline would have my HG mascara!! i've tried everything, from diorshow to NYC and everything in between and although i've found some are better than others, the price paid was not worth it for the difference it made..until i found colossal. i saw the packaging and i came home and looked it up on mua. I was surprised people were complaining that the mascara was a bit too dramatic and it lengthened too much, because that's what i go for in mascaras. So i went and i bought it, even though full & soft had better rating and was recommended by a coworker and when i tried it, i wondered where is the colossal in this equation? i did not see the length or the drama ( i have medium length lashes that have okay volume), the smell reminded me a lot of my last mac mascara...i want to say it was X, but the texture was amazing, at then end of a long day at work my lashes looked fresh and soft, with no excessive volume, but just right. i can finally say i found my HG mascara, and i cannot believe it's maybelline!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by chickety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know people expect different things from mascaras so I'll tell you about me and what I expect. I have naturally longish but wispy thin lashes that are somewhat naturally curled. I love thick seperated fanned out dramatic lashes that still look and feel natural (yes, I know I'm asking a lot). The mascara I love most is Lancome Hypnose, and I also love Tarte Lights Camera Lashes for reference. But I still try every new mascara just for fun. And this one was just ok. The smell is 10x worse than the scent in Diorshow in my opinion, its much more artificial and it makes me hold my breath. I bought The Colossal in 'Glam Black' which is a nice black color. Application was not impressive. It didn't really lengthen for me at all, it seperated nicely and thickened lashes some. I didn't have any clumping. But it flakes quite a bit, and there was also some smudging. Others compare it to Cover Girl Lash Blast, well I love Lash Blast *much* better than The Colossal. This mascara is ok for seperation, thickens lashes a bit, and it doesn't tend to clump. But, that's about it. I wont be repurchasing.

[EDIT]
I am changing my rating from 3 lippies down to 2. There is just too much flaking and the mascara really doesn't do much. Oh and I ALWAYS use a lash primer, either Lancome Cils Booster XL or Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base, and even with primer, this mascara is weak. Also I don't hold the wand up to my nose, I simply apply it to my lashes like every other mascara, and I have to hold my breath or I smell a thick, artificial, headache inducing scent. I know everyone is different, but me, I'm tossing this mascara in the garbage.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by smallpup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate to give a poor review to this mascara, because initially it looks great, but a few hours into my day and flakes! I can't deal with that at all. I can deal with the rose fragrance, which lasted a couple of hours on me, but not flakes. Such a shame because I loved Glam Black.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2008 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Rbeezer

I bought this mascara because I've had such good experiences with other maybelline mascaras, I was jazzed by the idea this might be their best mascara yet. I was wrong. It does make lashes long and dark and thick but they also made mine spikey. I want a mascara that I can use as is, without the need for a separate lash comb to get out lumps or spikes. I've tried this as a second coat after using Lash Discovery and used that way, it rocks. And I love the rich color it has. But I'm not buying it again and I just may throw this tube out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

well, this mascara is obviously Maybelline's answer to CG Lash Blast; the big chubby bright tube, the huge brush, the promise of extremely thick lashes-- they must have gotten nervous since LB was such a big hit (i don't know why, i think it's mediocre at best) that they decided they better come up with a competitor! i'm happy to report that this easily beats Lash Blast in my book. Colossal Volum'Express is a very nice, above average mascara, especially for the drugstore. it gave me long, feathery, just-thick-enough lashes that were a sooty matte black and it held up perfectly for almost 12 hours, until i washed it off, and right before i jumped in the shower my lashes looked as good as the moment i applied. not a smudge or flake in sight!!! as for curl, which is probably the #1 most important thing to me, i would give it 6/10. it held up fairly well, but not as well as i like, since i like my lashes curled straight up for the longest look possible. Colossal washed off easily with soap and water and didn't leave a trace of the black smudgies that i despise under my eyes after my shower, and i was incredibly pleased with that. i think that this is a very good mascara, but i still prefer my drugstore HG, CG Volume Exact, because it holds a curl better and gives me more of a false-lash look. still, i will definitely wear this mascara (although i'm sure i won't use it up, i'm a mascara freak and buy a new tube atleast once a week) and enjoy it, and for right now i'm giving it 4 lippies. if my feelings towards it change or it starts to look like crap within a week or 2, i will update. **EDIT** this mascara is still just average-good on it's own, but i am LOVING it layered over my CG Volume Exact. i usually don't like to use more than 1 mascara because i think that 1 should do it's job well enough on it's own, but using this on top of CG VE really pumps it up, makes it look darker and glossier and really very nice. i'm glad i've found a way to make this mascara fabulous for me! if you were underwhelmed by it on it's own, try layering it over one of your favorite mascaras that could use a little bit of oomph. continued >>