September 23, 2014 | 1620 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2008 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Kimber7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I saw this in CVS and just happen to be looking for a new mascara. It claimed it could do almost everything for your lashes, wow, 9x the volumn? NOT. I notice no difference with this mascara then any other I have used. Well actually one major difference, THIS STUFF SMELLS BAD!. On our way to dinner the other night I asked my husband if he had used his allergy medication Flonase. I hate the smell of that stuff. He said he had not and actually he doesn't even have any. I was puzzled until the next day when my hubby wasn't around and I was putting on my mascara...ahhh the mystery was solved. The smell hung around for a few hours too, how could something smell so strong that goes on your eyes? Nope not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by kak513

I'm totally lovin' this stuff. I've become really accustomed to the newish combing, stiff brushes, but this was on a great sale the other day, so I went for it for kicks. Everyday this week when I've come home from work, I can hardly believe my lashes, they are SO LONG. I got this in Glam Black, non-waterproof (does it even come in waterproof?) and just a few coats to get all my lashes darkened in the morning does it for me. I'm blessed with half-blonde lashes that look pretty awful uncoated, so I'm pleased I get length without the weight. I'd say this isn't particularly good for volume, though. And the smell is totally weird, and much more powerful than the scent from something you're practically putting in your eyes should be. I have a difficult time getting the lashes on the very outer edge due to the brush style, but I can make it work. I did notice a clump that I was able to pluck and fix, but otherwise I use a pretty light hand to get this on - I can totally understand how this would get spidery if overapplied.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by holliexoxo88

I really like this mascara. It doesn't lengthen very well, but it makes my lashes look thicker. I usally use this with a lengthening mascara, then use this to make them look thicker and also to seperate my lashes. The brush does not clump, it seperates, and it also curls my lashes. I like this mascara better than lash blast. I also used it with MAC's Prep & Prime Lash, and that thing clumps my lashes really bad, and also makes them straight, but with this mascara it seperated and curled my lashes. =]
I love the packaging, that's what caught my eye. It's a bright yellow with purple writing and a purple band around it. It wasn't very expensive, it was like 6 dollars.
I'll probably buy this mascara again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 5:54:00 PM More reviews by srobinb

I'm actually kind of surprised this product has a relatively low rating. It's really the best mascara I've ever used, drugstore or department store. I've searched everywhere for a mascara that will make my wimpy lashes look thick with just one coat, and The Colossal does just that. My lashes are fairly long on their own, but they are thin and fine (just like my hair) and straight. I must admit that I use Shiseido lash primer with this (HG), but I have used it with many mascaras and never got results like this. My lashes stay curled all day, even in the hot, humid Mississippi weather. I even wore this to a baseball game on July 4th - my lashes stayed curled and I had no smudging. This is way better than Lash Blast, IMO (the formula is better, and I am just not a fan of the spikey rubber brush). None of the other Volum' Express mascaras have worked for me, either. But I am actually going to declare this my HG mascara...I haven't even thought about using any of the other eleventy billion mascaras in my makeup drawer since I bought The Colossal. Woot!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 11:24:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

PACKAGING: This mascara comes in a pearl yellow tube with purple writing on it. The tube itself is fairly wide/chunky which makes it easy to hold. I personally love the packaging because I think it's very eyecatching and easily spotted in the depths of my dark makeup case! Some people find it garish, but I think it's nice.

PRICE: Colossal hasn't been released here in the UK yet but like a previous reviewer said, I got a good deal on 2 glam black mascaras for 8 including shipping. I can already guess that when this is sold in stores in the UK, it will be cheap like all Maybelline mascaras are.

FEATURES: 9x the volume in one stroke, no clumps, contains collagen, opthamologist tested, contact lens safe, washable, removes with soap & water or makeup remover.

APPLICATION: First off, the brush is quite big but tapered towards the end, which is good because you can easily reach shorter lashes or your bottom ones with no trouble. The big brush is a good feature. On opening the bottle, there is a smell, but it's not as bad as people are making out in the reviews. I can only smell it if I put the brush near to my nose, which I hardly ever do. It's like a dull rose scent and not offensive in the slightest. The formula didn't sting my eyes either.

RESULTS: This mascara promises 9x the volume in one stroke, but obviously, this is exaggerated. With one coat of mascara on, however, I had considerable length and decent volume. One coat of mascara is never going to give you good volume though, so I applied another 2 layers. One word - WOW! My lashes were insanely long and volumized. I have short lashes to begin with which are not thick at all, but it looked like I was wearing false lashes with this mascara on. I had minimal clumping and no spider lashes (although I don't care what anyone says about them - spider lashes are sexy!). Most mascaras leave the lashes feeling crusty and hard, but my lashes felt rather soft to touch. And no, I could not smell the 'scent' of the mascara once it was on my lashes at all.

LASTING POWER: I wore this for about 6 hours and experianced very little flaking despite the hot, humid conditions I was in. There is no smudging, but then again, I've never had a mascara smudge on me. This mascara definately held up throughout the night.

REMOVAL: Very easy to remove, simply use a makeup wipe or eyemakeup remover, you could even use your normal cleanser to get it off. Despite the mascaras good lasting power, it is very easy to get off and I didn't wake up with any black smudges under my eyes the next day.

VERDICT: If you're looking for a mascara to give you a dramatic look, I'd definately recommend this. Of course, you can not only use one coat and expect to have a false lash look...it's impossible with any mascara, IMO. But if you try out 2-3 layers of this, you'll notice very good length and good volume. It is a cheap mascara that works better than other HE mascaras I have tried. I seem to be one of the only few people who thinks most Maybelline mascaras are HG material (define a lash, volum express curved brush, volum express lift up) and Colossal is definately one of Maybellines best mascaras yet. I have short, non-thick lashes, so I think it's very valid in me saying that for this mascara to give me a false lash look means it is a keeper in my book. I'll be repurchasing very soon! continued >>

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2008 7:32:00 PM More reviews by fairmaiden20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Another great product from Maybelline :) Has a HUGE brush that easily coats every lash and distributes an almost-even amount of product. Dries fairly quickly so a second coat has to be applied right away. Comes in a trendy yellow tube. I am definately a fan!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by lachesisss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a mascara fanatic. Maybelline's The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara, in my opinion is slightly better than Covergirl's Lash Blast Mascara. The Brush for Colossal actually helps to build and define lashes without clumping. The brush is bigger, but it makes it easy to add length to your lash tips, something which I couldn't do with Covergirl's Lash Blast. I own the glam black color, and find that the color does not grey out over lash primer. The product itself is flaky without a lash primer. However, I use this mascara with MAC's Prep + Prime, and I experience no flakiness at all. Plus, the primer helps the product wear better on my lashes. Without primer, the mascara is ok, it does not build my lashes to the volume and thickness that I like, but provides a more natural look.

PROS:
- Nice non-clumping large brush that does not stick lashes together.
- Easy to build length.
- Wears very well with lash primer and does not loose color pigmentation.
- Removes easy with soap and water, eye makeup remover or cream cleansers.
- Glam Black is a nice dark black color.
- Priced cheaper than Lash Blast at Wal-Mart.

CONS:
- Smells like roses. It can be overwhelming at times.
- Has obnoxious packaging (which I like, but most would find a little bit of an eyesore).
- Flakes without a lash primer and has a more natural look.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by chandarae

Love it. I am not a fan of drugstore mascara at all and typically spend $$$ on YSL faux cils and Shu Fiber Xtension to be used together. Lash primer, 2 coats of faux cils, and Xtension over that will get me the volume, length, and hold that I like. I've had the Colossal on for about 5 hours now, and there is no sign of droopy lashes- they are the same as when I applied the mascara. I still need to use a primer- either EL or Smashbox, but 2 coats of this baby over that and it looks like we're set for the day. Loving the price as well as the result! As for the fake roses smell, it really doesn't bother me- like someone else said, it smells like makeup and goes away quickly. I can also wear this on my bottom lashes w/out smudging! If this turns out to be a HG for me- I'll wear it exclusively for this week, I'll upgrade to 5 lippies.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Nkruythoff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was very dissapointed with this mascara. I loved the brush, and it did seperate and lengthen pretty well. But the consitency of the mascara sucked. I don't know if it was because the product dried to quickly or what. It dried very dull and had clumps - the "spider leg" effect. I guess I'll try something else...again!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2008 12:08:00 PM More reviews by staceb1990

I bought this after seeing all the ads for it. Overall, it's an OK mascara. It doesn't give me as much volume as I'd like, but it gives me a nice curl, without using an eyelash curler. The thing that I can't stand about this is how flaky it gets by the end of the. The smell is also kinda fierce, but it goes away.

I probably wouldn't buy this again.