December 20, 2014 | 1662 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 3:46:00 AM More reviews by tygress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this mascara a couple of weeks ago for $4 at CVS with a coupon and as a part of an in-store special. Comes in a neon colored tube with purple writing. Corny looking colors, but whatever. I bought this in Classic Black, having read all of the mixed reviews and finally decided to try it for myself. I've been using this mascara for about 3 weeks now and have found myself reaching for it more than my HG, Neutrogena Healthy Volume. I use Sheiseido's primer and then 1 coat of this mascara and the volume that I get out of this is one word: AMAZING. My lashes feel soft to the touch and it lasts all day. It doesn't flake or smear either (a big plus in my book b/c it stays really humid down south). There is definitely a scent to this mascara, kinda floral and chemical-like. Colossal's scent though totally dissipates after putting it on. I honestly didn't find the smell that bad, and certainly not bad enough to stop using it altogether. It also probably doesn't increase your lash volume 9 times either but I typically don't buy advertising claims anyway. For those of you thinking about it please don't let the reports of the smell or your dislike of the colors on the outside put you off to buying this pretty decent lil mascara. Its worth a try and would definitely buy again. :)

EDIT: I will never buy this again. I love this but this is a very, very poorly made mascara. The mechanism that holds the brush into place and keeps excess product from coming out at the mouth of the bottle pops out! This is the SECOND tube I've purchased in that this has happened, and from reading on the MUA boards other posters are complaining of the same problem. I have never had this happen to me with any other mascara, and I've used dozens of brands. Pops back in, but leaves the tips of my fingers a dirty mess. Tube is never the same after this. Not worth your money, or the hassle.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2008 2:59:00 PM More reviews by magicBUS

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked this mascara when I first bought it. I used it for about a week and I thought it was comparable to YSL faux cils...however it really started to irritate my eyes and flaked slightly. And the smell was awful. It gives really nice long and thick lashes, but the formula is too harsh and flaky.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by hrm5270

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first pulled the wand out of the tube it was clumpy and the mascara was stuck to end of wand in a clumpy mess and to the brush. It has a very boring look on lashes, nothing special. It does not give my lashes fullness or length. The main issue I have with it, are the clumps and difficultly in applying. I had to wipe off excess mascara so it would'nt clump on the very first application. I had to wipe off the extra mascara and applying a second coat ends up in a diaster due to the fact that it makes my lashes too thick in a messy way. The wand/bush is not the best design for seperating lashes. It's not the worst that I have ever used, but it's FAR from the best or worthy of drugstore price in my opinion.

Oops, I think they test on animals:(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by X1HONEY

So, I've heard a lot about this mascara, and I mean A LOT. Some neggies and some possies. From the looks of reviews and what's been said on the boards, I wasn't gonna purchase it. I'm not much of a fan of Maybelline mascaras, Great Lash gave me some weird eye allergy. However, I walked into wal-mart to check for some sales and such and saw this display. And lemme tell you, I like really eye catching displays, I went over there and it was the Colossal display. I couldn't resist the erge and I purchased this mascara. The packaging is so gorgeous, bright colour and just wow. However to start off, my eyelashes are really short and I have the medium asian eyes, so naturally I'm afraid of big mascaras (heck I looked the other way when the CG Lash Blash is in my way). But for some odd reason I still purchased this mascara. Anyway on to the review.

I opened it and the mascara was easier to control than I imagined it would be, since it is pretty big, I thought I wouldn't be able to hold it for very long, but I could and I was darn proud! I slowly took out the wand from the (I guess you can call it...) mascara bottle. The smell, I couldn't smell anything. I had to literally sniff the wand to smell it and it's not as bad as people say down there. Maybe it's just the one I bought or the one they bought, but it was just a harmful rosey scent. I honestly can say that the girls down there, are OVER-EXAGGERATING. The smell is not so strong, well maybe if you have a really sensitive nose, I guess.

Anyways, I put on the mascara and wow, it was better than my CG Lashexact (If you read my review on that, you'll understand), HG mascara if you will. This mascara didn't give me clumps, it provided me with lengths that my short eyelashes would probably never see again if I ever threw this mascara out and the volume, wow it gave me volume! The volume, isn't dramatic but it's wonderful enough to notice that the Colossal gave you an extra "oomph" into your eyelashes. Wonderful, I know.

So overall, I gave it 4 lippies only because, the wand itself is pretty big, so when applying the mascara, there's a little bit of it that lands on my eyelids, which I can easily fix with a q-tip. Will repurchase this wonderful mascara again and this is probably the first Maybelline mascara I'll ever love <33

P.S. Honestly give it a try, you'll never know what you'll think of it just basing your thoughts on it on someone else's opinion :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2008 12:02:00 PM More reviews by mml2145

this mascara stinks!! literally! i HATE the rose smell of the mascara..i thought once i put it on it would fade away but i kept smelling it all day :( colossal seems like a really wet formula also. i curled my lashes, put on this mascara and watched my lashes uncurl before my eyes. i totally love my Lash Blast and only tried this because of the hype! Please, take me back Lash Blast, i wont stray again!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by gandydancer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sadly, this will be going back to the store. I've worn it for two days now and the "fragrance"-- it's more like fumes to my ultra-sensitive eyes -- irritates my eyes and it got worse on the second day, not better.. My eyes were extremely red after 9 hours of it today and I can't fathom what it would have been like if my contacts had been in. That said, it's not a badly-performing mascara, especially at the price. I got it in Classic Black and cleaned the wand thoroughly before the first use and had no clumping problems at all. My lashes are very long and it passed the important test of not leaving mascara dots on my upper lid. But the fumes are a deal breaker. Again, I am very sensitive -- to the point of not being able to go into a JoAnn store because the fumes from the cheap polyester fabrics have tears running down my face in moments. So if you're not that sensitive, this might be a good smart-money buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by macpher

I debated about trying this and am glad I did. It has a little more oomph than my HG Maybelline Full n Soft (but not 9x the volume). It did a great job lengthening and some volume and left my eyelashes soft and full and natual looking, which is what I like in a mascara. If you like Full n Soft or Clinique mascaras I don't think you will be disappointed. It does have a faint rose scent like others mentioned, but it disappeared once the mascara dried. Lasts all day on me without flakes/smudges. The brush is similar to Lash Blast, but more tapered at the end and better in my opinion. Much better than Lash Blast which I found clumpy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 6:30:00 PM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this mascara. It lengthens very well, and there aren't any clumps. Obviously, it doesn't add 9 times the volume with one coat, but it is super buildable and you can create more dramatic lashes with more coats. It does smell a little odd I guess, but it's not that big of a deal to me. I am a lover of maybelline mascaras, and this one did not disappoint. I like it better than the normal volum express also, it is less clumpy. I think it's better than alot of high end mascaras out there, that's for sure! EDIT: i never use this anymore and I decided I just don't love it. I wouldn't buy it again. I still like it better than the normal volume express, but I don't think I'd go for it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

This originally reminded me of CG Lash Blast, because of the packaging and the claims, and that's why I bought it. Turns out, this doesn't disappoint! The brush seems like it will be good, because it's big and fluffy, and it's really is good. This builds awesome, luscious volume, which is exactly what I need. As others have said, it smells funny. But I can deal with the scent because I like the performance. I rotate this with Cover Girl Lash Blast, L'Oreal's Voluminous and L'Oreal's Extra Volume Collagen. Those four are my HGs. I've never had much luck with Maybelline mascaras, but this one's the exception.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2008 5:42:00 PM More reviews by jaylb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I too got sucked into the hype and bought this mascara in glam black. I don't care about what color black it is, as long as it is black. It does smell JUST LIKE flonase (an allergy medicine) and I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that. Now to the performance. I have fallen in love with this. It does to my lashes what usually only higher end Lancome mascaras do. It provides amazing length, and spectacular volume for me. I cannot speak to whether or not it holds a curl because I do not curl my lashes as they are already curled for me, but I do know that it does not make my lashes look stick straight. I will def rebuy this, and I pray they never decide to discontinue it or anything like that!