December 20, 2014 | 1491 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

REFORMULATED. Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=153868/ColorStay-Makeup-%2824-hour-formula---2012/2013%29/Revlon/Liquid

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2010 12:28:00 AM More reviews by rikiya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in sand/beige for combination/oily skin. This foundation really stays on! I worked outside in the summer time and in some cases I've had to be out for nearly 7 hours and most make up would seem to melt off (while powders I'd just sweat off). I know, ewww, why would I bother with make up then? Well, I have acne scars and healing blemishes and the last thing I wanted was to show them to the world. Anyways, with colorstay, the coverage was enough to hide all my problem areas while staying on my face the whole day. The coverage was just perfect.

I'm still using it, now in the fall, but I am noticing that on dry areas of my skin it tends to look pretty bad. What I've taken to doing is mixing a drop of colorstay and my regular moisturizer and blending the two on the back of my hand. Then it smooths on like cream.

I'm taking one lippie off for the packaging though. Most of the time I end up pouring out too much because of the open mouth. I wish it had a smaller opening, or better yet, a pump!

EDIT: 07/18/2011, I've changed the method I put on this foundation. I find that with using my fingers or a foundation brush, I end up putting on either too much or I can't blend it smoothly, which makes some areas seem dry and whatnot. I also invested in a stippling brush, but I find I end up putting on a whole lot more foundation than necessary that way.

The best way, is to use a latex sponge (I had to go through two brands before I found one that works). Soak it in water until it expands out and then squish the water out. I find with a wet sponge, I can blend the foundation all over my face and keep it on the sheer side. For the areas where I need a little more foundation to cover up redness or acne scars, etc, I'd stipple with the sponge until those areas are no longer red. With this method my face actually looks nearly flawless and smooth!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2010 11:09:00 PM More reviews by chocoholic966

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I must be in the minority here, but I did not like this product. There was a decent color selection but the one I chose was slightly too dark for my skin. It did not blend in at all, just sat on top of my face, so it looked really unnatural being only slightly too dark. I got the one for combination/oily skin, which I have, and it felt like paint on my skin, accentuating all the uneven spots. It also smells like paint. And stains like paint. While trying to get it out of the bottle it splattered all over my shirt. I guess I should give it props for the staying power-it not only stayed on my face, but also the shirt. The Covergirl Clean I was using is better than this and even cheaper.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by kiimmy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've gone through multiple bottles of this foundation in both the oily/combo formula and the dry/normal formula. This used to be my HG for awhile, but sadly recently I've had to stray away.
The first bottle I purchased was in the oily/combo formula, even though I have super dry skin. I bought it because I found a better match in color in that formula. The names of the colors may be the same in both formulas, but the shades are actually a bit different. For example, "natural tan" in combo/oily is much lighter than the shade with the same name in dry/normal. Weird.
This version is thick, and gives a heavy coverage which I liked. However, it did emphasize dry spots and dried out certain parts. Not a surprise though, since it wasn't meant for my skin type. I still enjoyed putting it on areas where I was not as dry (like my cheeks). The staying power is wonderful, and is pretty much waterproof. It does quite significantly accentuate fine lines and other problem areas though.
After finishing that bottle, I decided to try out the dry/normal formula. They are completely different. The oily version is thick and dries much more matte, whereas this version is much more runny and gives a more dewy finish. The coverage is a bit lighter, and is easier to blend. Although the formula is sodifferent, it does settle into fine lines as well.
I used this from fall 2009 to spring/summer 2010. I guess it looks better when the humidity and temperature are lower though, because I've noticed my skin looking DISGUSTING after a few hours of wearing this when the weather got warmer. It didn't dry out my skin or anything, but it just looked really gross in areas where I naturally get dry often. I'm not sure how I could describe it to give you a clear image... The coverage of the foundation kind of faded after awhile, and really emphasized the pores beside my nose and above my nose. It simply looked nasssty.
However, during my search of a new foundation, I continued wearing this for a bit. Bad mistakee! Several weeks ago I started to break out (I usually get a pimple or two each month at most, but I've never broken out this badly in years). At first I had no idea what was causing this, so I tried eliminating one product at a time from my usual routine to try to figure out what was breaking me out. I stopped using Revlon Colorstay for about a week, and the acne went away. I tried using it again for a few days, and yupp, the acne returned. It might be the product itself, or it might be something to do with bacteria. Either way, I will not repurchase this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

SOOOOOO glad i bought this foundation-- like it even better than the MAC Face and Body i tried!

gave it a 2 out of 5 on the price, since $11 or so is a bit high for a drugstore foundation. Of course, the price is sooo worth it for the quality!

i had read reviews that said that this foundation broke them out, but i didnt have that problem. i think maybe those users just didnt fully remove it all the way. since it's a long wearing formula, it really stays put! so when i remove it i use a cleansing cloth as well as my regular cleanser, and have had no problems. i suppose just cleaning twice would work too.

at first i got the Natural Beige color, b/c apparently meijers doesnt carry the lighter colors, and i did not know this. i'm usually the next to palest shade, so thats what i grabbed at meijers. and they were actually out of the next ligher shade anyways. it was too dark on me, so i went to walmart and got the Buff color, which works MUCH better, and is a really great match! i still need to take back the 1st one though-- hopefully they dont give me grief when i try to return in :/

anyways, i do small parts of my fact at a time, b/c this does dry quite quickly, and the result is wonderful! matte finish, great coverage, and blends well. my new HG foundation!!!

UPDATE
soooo, i just want to mention: wintertime was makin my skin dry, so i bought the normal/dry skin version, and WOW, its even better! i dont get shiny after all day of wear, it doesnt oxidize as much as the oily skin version, it goes on smoother, and doesnt get stuck to any dry spots as much. still awesome coverage too!

UPDATE AGAIN 11/5/11:
STILL loving this! i dont use foundation much anymore (or MU at all), but when i want a flawless look, this is what i grab. i love that this can double up as my concealer too. i apply one "coat" all over, and then just go back and apply a 2nd coat over any spots, around my nose, etc. works like a charm!

UPDATE: 02/20/12
still my favorite foundation! if i'm wanting quick MU i grab my luck minerals MMU, but if i know there are going to be photographs and i'm going to be our for hours, i use this. nothing comes close!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2010 3:42:00 PM More reviews by MckCHehe

I bought this after seeing a MichellePhan Youtube video.

I really loved this. It's cheap, and it works. It's got great coverage (but since I've got acne, I use their blemish concealer as well) and it's easily blendable most of the time. I picked up a shade too dark on accident (I got Buff when I usually get Ivory) and it was harder to blend, but it still worked great. The only problem is, every bottle I've had leaks really bad if it's ever laid on its side, which makes it hard to travel with. It's a pretty good product, all in all.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2010 2:21:00 AM More reviews by Tinzeh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My first liquid foundation. I like it cause its easy to blend, sometimes it makes my face look powdery and have to use a setting spray. I dont like the top cause you sometimes spill too much, it like it if it had a pump. I got mine in Ivory which blends in perfectly, im not sure about the staying power though, i get home from school and it looks like it disappeared. I would rebuy again afetr i experiment more with other foundations but id definately fall back on this one

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by kiersten0513

I have used this product forever until i found the minera makeup. but i still use this when i run out or just need to throw something on my face real quick. wonderful product i liked the stick versionalot better but still all in all i think its a great product for acne prone skin the coverage is great and long lasting

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2010 9:05:00 PM More reviews by ns4487

Ok. One lippie for colour match, one lippie for coverage. I have worn this three times now, for 10 hours + each time. Every application I used a different method (fingers, damp sponge, brush) to see if I could get a different result. But this foundation is a fail for me. When I first put it on, I was impressed. It covers well, wasnt too hard to blend, and the colour match was great. But during the day, I looked at myself in a mirror in natural light, and I was horrified. It just looked so...heavy! It does stay on for a full day for me, but I hated looking like I had such heavy makeup on my face. So next time I tried it, I went as sheer as possible. BUT no matter how sheer I tried to layer it, it still looked really heavy!!! I already wear enough makeup as it is (i.e. blush, eyeliner, lipstick)...so I really dont want my foundation to look full on as well. And here in AUS, it was AUD$37.95!!! for a drugstore product, holy...I will NOT be using this again, I simply can't get it to work for me without it making me look like I have three inches of foundation on my face. I tried, I really did. Not a good product (fyi, i used the normal to dry formula in Buff)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by maidsy

deff not my favorite drugstore foundation. the coverage was pretty good but it made my skin really dry, itchy and flaky, but maybe thats just me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by nutella87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this foundation since maybe, March? Same bottle too, and it's now September. I generally wear foundation everyday, but during the summer, I wore more mineral makeup due to the heat (I'd sweat everything off anyway). One thing about Colorstay that I like is the shade range. My color is Sand Beige, and it matches my skin tone perfectly, undertone and all. The foundation itself does have fairly good coverage. The lasting power is above average as well. However, my biggest complaint is that this foundation is impossible to remove completely. I have to use makeup wipes, a cleanser, a second cleanser, and then a toner to make sure it's all off my face. Otherwise, my pores are clogged and I'm left with pimples. Still, that hasn't stopped me from using this foundation. I don't think I will repurchase, simply because I'd like to try some other foundations that aren't impossible to remove, but still lasts a fair amount of time.
Would I recommend it? Yes, but with caution.
OH! Forgot to mention--this foundation does tend of cake a little after a couple hours. Then it fades.