April 20, 2014 | 1982 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2008 11:14:00 AM More reviews by LilyRosemarie

Well ok, it does smell bad. Really bad. But it doesn't stick around after you put it on. I have no idea if I'd ever notice the difference in the 2 blacks, but I got Glam Black because I heard it has a blue tint and I have blue eyes. It lengthens like crazy - if I actually took the time to properly curl my lashes they'd look really good! My lashes are skimpy, though, and even the best mascara couldn't make them look "colossal." Not a bad job, all in all. I wish the brush wasn't so huge so I could get to the roots, and I wish the tube weren't so ugly. But I guess it could be worse. 3 lippies, not sure if I'd repurchase but I'll wear it for now. Definitely better than the Full n Soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by sweetsmell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was on sale at Duane Reade and I had a coupon. It's pretty nice! It gives a ton of length and it doesn't clump. I got Glam Black, which is a blue-based black and looked great on my lashes. Definitely a more "dramatic" mascara but I liked it a lot!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was hoping this mascara wouldn't be a disappointment, and to my surprise, I really like it. For $5 or so at Wal-Mart, I bought this last night and tried it as soon as I got it home. I smelled it first...haha. Everyone says this smells awful, but it's not much worse than any other of Maybelline's icky mascaras. It has an odd (funky) odor that reminds me of pencil-shavings and rotting roses and maybe a bit of dirt...a bit faint, but it's definitely noticeable. It goes away after application and it's fine, no big deal. I don't recommend sitting around and inhaling that junk, however, just to see how 'dangerous' it may be or just to figure out what exactly that smell is.

Okay; to performance. It's a great mascara, claims 9x's the volume but hey, what are they basing this statistic on? My lashes are already long but a bit sparse some days, this definitely helps to separate them and blackens them. I noticed more lengthening than anything. But for some, it might work. One coat is enough for me, it says to not let dry during coats, but I just use one; gets my lashes how I want them. No clumping, not overly drying, Classic Black seems to serve well...as bad as I wanted Glam Black, I thought I'd better start simple.

The packaging...oh, the packaging...Maybelline hasn't been doing so great with the way they allow us to carry their makeup lately. The Dream Matte Powder? Now this? C'mon. It's an ugly tube...bright pearly yellow and metallic purple? No, no, no. I would like it much better if it were maybe a pearly silver and a metallic black...something sleek. So, Maybelline? Please take all this stuff back to the drawing board and try again dears...(something I can forgive & forget for the quality...but seriously?) Guess they wanted it to be easy to find when you're hunting for it.

I don't know right now if I'll repurchase (though I'll put YES.) ...not because of the quality, just because I don't know if I absolutely want it to be a staple in my makeup drawer. Full N' Soft has been going strong for a month now...haha. But if I do decide to switch, this mascara will be the next one on the list.

____

EDIT: I opened this up yesterday for the first time in about five or six days...no big deal, it was fine the last time I had worn it...but I pulled it out and noticed all the mascara was gunked up over the bristles, the stem of the wand, and the lip of the tube. The plastic ring that catches the mascara as the brush pulls out had come off and had gotten stuck around the end of the wand...

The just further proves that the packaging is crap. It was easy to fix but I got that stinky black crap all over the place. (Changing my rebuy response. I won't buy this mascara again unless they decide to upgrade the formula or packaging...which defeats the purpose. I'll jsut buy an entirely new mascara.)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2008 8:21:00 PM More reviews by liltweety

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i didn't like it at all because when applied it it weighed my lashes down and i kept on applying it it was real clumpy.

and yes, it did dry fast.. didn't curl well either but i think covergirl lashblast is way better than this one..

Sorry try again

UPDATE: this actually is better than i thought just remember not too put too much on because you don't really have to just a couple of strokes and POW!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2008 3:22:00 PM More reviews by CafeAlaStef

NAUSEATING smell - really strong chemical smell that gave me a bad headache - other than that, it works very well to give length. volume, not so much. the brush is pretty huge. if it didn't have this gross smell, it would be worth it.

edit- couldn't bare to wear it all day - the scent DID NOT go away, and gave me a HUGE headache. would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2008 1:11:00 AM More reviews by soniawonia

Love the tube, love the brush. I got the glam black. I was sucked in by the packaging even though I swore off Maybelline mascaras because of their rough brushes. When I applied it, I thought, ok so far so good, brush isnt too rough, looks like the full n soft brush but fatter. But then I turned to look at the tv, giggled, then went back to keep applying, and it had already dried so it felt like I almost pulled out my lashes. It drys SO fast, so you have to do it quick or else it will hurt. The formula isn't that great, it's not thickening like other mascaras, it more like, tacky, just doesn't look right. I do love the 80s looking packaging though. The fragrance is pretty strong, I could still smell it 30 mins after I applied it. Makes my lashes look crusty, wirery, dry, crunchy, limp, like the effect when girls apply gel to dry hair.
It also says "with collagen" which is pretty annoying cause its almost the last ingredient. Why doesnt it say with paraffin as it the second ingredient. Over all, one lippie for the sexy tube, 1 for the huge brush, and 1 for it being a true black rather than an ashy black.

EDIT: Doesnt hold a curl at all!! Makes my naturally curly lashes look straight. And the formula SUCKS.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2008 1:55:00 AM More reviews by bruinsbaby119

This mascara is about a 4.5.....in other words, I AM LIIIIKING IT. I was at the store and how could I NOT notice the bright in-your-face packaging? I'm a sucker for new mascaras so I grabbed it in Glam Black, which is this super inky, "wet" black that makes my already dark lashes really pop. I really, really like this. It works great alone (heellllloo you gorg voluptuous lashes) but I layer it OVER my CG mascara for super lush lashes.

As for the fragrance, it doesn't bother me cause it goes away after you apply it. Anyone who's ditching this stuff solely cause of the fragrance which is completely gone within a minute.................are you crazy??

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Refuge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have a drugstore mascara addiction.... or maybe it's more like a quest. I have tried and loved the HE brands like Diorshow, and the Shiseido primer, but let's face it. $20+ for a tube of something that lasts three months is champagne living. And I'm on a beer budget. So, my drugstore mascara addiction/quest continues. And I have been using the Colossal (in basic black) for about a month now, and I have to say.... I kind of love it. My HG before had been Rimmel Lycra Lash, but this definitely gives me more volume, and seems to equal the Rimmel in length. So it's my new favorite mascara. But, review reader beware.... my new favorite mascara might change again next time I see something new for $6 at Walgreens. But this is definitely worth a try if you like trying new drugstore formulas.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2008 6:10:00 PM More reviews by lincra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I always get suckered in by those colorful displays. ::sigh:: Unfortunately most of the time they end up being disappointing. This is an exception. It's one of the better mascaras I've tried lately. I purchased Glam Black which as another reviewer noted has a very slight blueish undertone. I have used this both over Great Lash and alone and got very good results both times. Another plus is the color definitely makes it easy to find in my makeup bag. It's above average but not the best I've ever used. Sorry not HG status.
EDIT: The more I use it the more I like it. May have to eat my previous words about it not being HG status.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2008 3:31:00 PM More reviews by goodbyexxkitty

This is probably my new favorite mascara! I have pretty short thin lashes and this really gives me a lot of volume and length and doesn't clump on me at all. I do have to layer it a few times, but I really don't mind since I have to do that with all mascaras. It stays on well throughout the day with no smudging or flaking. I haven't noticed a smell like some people have mentioned, then again I never really sniff my mascara when I put it on. I would certainly repurchase this!