September 2, 2014 | 1216 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2008 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Poutiful

I found this mascara to give me even less "oomph" and volume than the Original Volum' Express which was my HG a couple of years ago. While it may make your lashes look decent from a couple inches away, if you have pathetic winpy lashes like mine they become invisible from more than about 2 feet away. This doesn't hold a curl very well, perhaps a waterproof version would rasie my opinion a bit. While this may look wonderful on those of you lucky few with long, thick lashes, it really doesn't do much for short, thin lashes. I found that the "Glam Black" color had no discernible shade difference from standard black mascaras, except that it was not as gray and matte when dry. Overall though, don't expect anyone to notice the difference. For ladies with sad little lashes like mine I highly recommend "Lash Stylist", also by Maybelline. The waterproof formula could hold a curl in a hurricane, and the comb applicator allows you to reduce clumps and really get a good "lift" from the base of the lashes. It is the perfect mascara to use if you want visible lashes from a distance! All in all, while I like a lot of Maybelline's mascaras, I found this one to be all hype and not much in the way of results.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by blondie1965

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am always excited to see a "new" product...especially mascara. Well..this is probably the worst I have ever bought. The mascara was OK the first few times I used it. However it did not glide on- sort of a challenge to apply. I took out of my makeup kit yesterday and got a weird surprise-I took out the wand only to find that the mascara had transformed into a thick mud-like substance that had completely covered the brush and wand. It had not been in extreme heat or cold. Very strange. Anyway, I have yet to find a drug store mascara that lasts more than a week. Thay all stop performing even though there is product in the tube.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 10:03:00 AM More reviews by illuminate1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried it, didn't like it. See.. A mascara means NOTHING to me if it kills my curl. I have straight downward pointing lashes that I take time each day to curl with my warmed up Shu. So it really annoys me to no end when I put on a mascara and my beautiful curl goes straight. This did that. Back it went to the store. I also want to take a moment to complain about this new trend to make big ol' chunky packaging. When you have a large collection of makeup and keep all your mascaras in one area, the chunkiness creates space issues. There is no need to make the barrel this thick! I do however, enjoy the color scheme with the purple and yellow. Two of my favs!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 11:40:00 PM More reviews by skizzerkid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm really enjoying this mascara so far. I bought it and then got nervous to use it after reading some of the reviews here. It *does* smell very pungent at first, like overwhelmingly so. It just seems really unnecessary and that's why I took off a lippie. The smell has faded, and I've been using it every day for about a week. I got "Glam Black," the wording of which confused me at first... it's basically Blackest Black or Very Black or Carbon Black, choose your poison. This is a great basic mascara. It volumizes decently (if not overly dramatically), lengthens excellently and blackens nicely. It works for me like a more dramatic Full & Soft, which I like. Full & Soft and Lash Stylist, both from Maybelline are my staples of late: one for day, the other for more dramatic looks. This bridges the gap between the two, so it's more versatile, and to be quite frank: I'm over the whole spiny-plastic bristle brush. This is a nice, fat, fluffy regular mascara brush, I've had no problems at all with clumping. Seems to wear nicely for me, no flaking or smudging and the humidity and heat have been hell here lately, so I've had a good chance to test out its limits. I like the packaging, which seems to be a point of contention with other reviewers. Worth a shot if you're looking for a reliable drug store buy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 10:25:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay, so I finally found this at my local CVS and I immediately fell in love with the packaging! It's so 80's, and b/c of the jarring colors and hard font it should have been named "FRANKIE SAY Colossal Volum' Express" ... if you don't get it well look it up - you're on the 'net for crimminy sakes. :P Anyhow, this mascara is excellent! I tested it out tonight and the big pleasers were very, very long, pumped up lashes, not too clumpy and it held the curl in my lashes! I got all the volume and length I could stand after three coats and seriously this rivals YSL Faux Cils. Yeah it smells but it's not that bad, c'mon. To me it smells like old potpourri and the smell did fade away pretty quickly for me. But did I say that it held my curl??? Yes!! I am so pleased that I found this mascara....*love* :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Buttercup86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

FLONASE, it took me forever to figure out what this stuff smells like, lol. I don't think the smell is as bad as everyone is whining about, c'mon...it isn't THAT bad geez. Anyway, picked this up at CVS a few days ago and I am loving it. My boyfriend said out of the blue that my eyelashes look sexy, lol. And if I get a compliment like that from him, it's worth it. It held a curl great on my lashes, didn't clump and lengthened them. Maybe not 9x the volume, but definitely enough for a pump up. All in all, a really good mascara. I thought the packaging was a little cheap, but that has nothing to do with the product. Now I want a cool new mascara in a PINK bottle, lol. Oh yea, I got glam black and I really like this shade.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2008 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Kimber7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I saw this in CVS and just happen to be looking for a new mascara. It claimed it could do almost everything for your lashes, wow, 9x the volumn? NOT. I notice no difference with this mascara then any other I have used. Well actually one major difference, THIS STUFF SMELLS BAD!. On our way to dinner the other night I asked my husband if he had used his allergy medication Flonase. I hate the smell of that stuff. He said he had not and actually he doesn't even have any. I was puzzled until the next day when my hubby wasn't around and I was putting on my mascara...ahhh the mystery was solved. The smell hung around for a few hours too, how could something smell so strong that goes on your eyes? Nope not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by kak513

I'm totally lovin' this stuff. I've become really accustomed to the newish combing, stiff brushes, but this was on a great sale the other day, so I went for it for kicks. Everyday this week when I've come home from work, I can hardly believe my lashes, they are SO LONG. I got this in Glam Black, non-waterproof (does it even come in waterproof?) and just a few coats to get all my lashes darkened in the morning does it for me. I'm blessed with half-blonde lashes that look pretty awful uncoated, so I'm pleased I get length without the weight. I'd say this isn't particularly good for volume, though. And the smell is totally weird, and much more powerful than the scent from something you're practically putting in your eyes should be. I have a difficult time getting the lashes on the very outer edge due to the brush style, but I can make it work. I did notice a clump that I was able to pluck and fix, but otherwise I use a pretty light hand to get this on - I can totally understand how this would get spidery if overapplied.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by holliexoxo88

I really like this mascara. It doesn't lengthen very well, but it makes my lashes look thicker. I usally use this with a lengthening mascara, then use this to make them look thicker and also to seperate my lashes. The brush does not clump, it seperates, and it also curls my lashes. I like this mascara better than lash blast. I also used it with MAC's Prep & Prime Lash, and that thing clumps my lashes really bad, and also makes them straight, but with this mascara it seperated and curled my lashes. =]
I love the packaging, that's what caught my eye. It's a bright yellow with purple writing and a purple band around it. It wasn't very expensive, it was like 6 dollars.
I'll probably buy this mascara again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 5:54:00 PM More reviews by srobinb

I'm actually kind of surprised this product has a relatively low rating. It's really the best mascara I've ever used, drugstore or department store. I've searched everywhere for a mascara that will make my wimpy lashes look thick with just one coat, and The Colossal does just that. My lashes are fairly long on their own, but they are thin and fine (just like my hair) and straight. I must admit that I use Shiseido lash primer with this (HG), but I have used it with many mascaras and never got results like this. My lashes stay curled all day, even in the hot, humid Mississippi weather. I even wore this to a baseball game on July 4th - my lashes stayed curled and I had no smudging. This is way better than Lash Blast, IMO (the formula is better, and I am just not a fan of the spikey rubber brush). None of the other Volum' Express mascaras have worked for me, either. But I am actually going to declare this my HG mascara...I haven't even thought about using any of the other eleventy billion mascaras in my makeup drawer since I bought The Colossal. Woot!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No