November 28, 2014 | 1470 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2008 12:53:00 PM More reviews by Belladonna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Love, love, love it!
Of course I had to run out and buy it, I just can't help myself.
This actually lives up to the hype though. Its like a super cheap version of Dior Show mascara, they seem to be practically identical and dare I say.....the Colossal is actually better? It is, I've used both and it works much better and for like 1/4 the cost. The Colossal formula seems better and *huge bonus for me* doesn't flake at all and get in my contacts (although DiorShow and Lash Blast both did). So while I will still use tubing mascara part of the time, I will be using this too when I want to really load it on for a more dramatic look.
Oh and the smell? Really not getting the complaints at all. I'm one of those super freaky sensitive to smells people (it comes with having migraines) and it doesn't bother me at all. Just like the DiorShow, its just a strong Rose scent, which is way better than...well a lot of things.
ETA: I forgot to mention that I LOVE the brush, soooo much better than Lash Blast or any of those other spindly rubber spiky brushes. Yay for Colossal Volum' Express!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2008 10:43:00 AM More reviews by ztirkazoid

I got this item in a swap, since it's not available in Canada as of yet. As for Maybelline's line of mascaras, I've really only tried its infamous Great Lash mascara and that's about it. So far I've been really impressed with this mascara. Upon opening the tube, the smell could prove to be bothersome to most, but it doesn't bother me as it dissipates quickly. The colour I got is Classic Black - it's a good, matte black. It has a thin consistency and is super buildable. I've been using this for about a week now and I've been really impressed. It gives a good amount of curl, volume and length altogether with 2 or 3 coats. I like to layer mascaras and I find that I don't need to layer on another mascara to achieve the false-lash look that I want. With a tiny strip of eyeliner on my top lid, it really looks as if I've had false lashes on! Packaging-wise, I love the fun yellow colour, although the brush bristles seem to hurt a little upon application to my lash roots. I find a bit of flaking as the day goes on, but I can just dab it away. Does not give me raccoon eyes after cleansing - goes away very easily. All in all, a great mascara coming from Maybelline!
Update (Aug. 19th): I opened my tube of mascara today and there was this big, honking glob of mascara all over the wand. It is still usable, but that was after I've wiped off the glob inside the tube and the rest of it on a tissue. That has never happened to me with a mascara before, and it wasn't even hot at all yesterday! Very weird...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2008 2:43:00 AM More reviews by MrsLayneStaley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Being a fan of Volum' Express Turbo Boost, I purchased the Glam Black in this. For the first time EVER, I was able to get 3 coats and NO clumping whatsoever. I love the packaging, the brush, the color, and most of all..the smooth formula. It seperates and volumizes well. Lashes are reasonably soft upon drying. The rosey smell is not as pleasant as other mascaras, but who gives a da*m when it performs this well? HG Status.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by jennifer0828

i got this mascara in a swap and i love it. it is my new drugstore mascara. i have to apply a few coats to see the colossal lashes that it claims but i didn't let it dry in between coats. the odor is a little strong like a lot you girls claim, it lasted about 30 minutes or so. i will definately be purchasing this item again.

BYE THE WAY....if you contact maybelline and tell them your concerns/complaints about the mascara, they will send you a gift certificate for $10 towards maybelline items. my friend called them and complained about the scent. they needed the number on the bottom of the actual mascara tube, so make sure you have it handy when you call

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2008 2:48:00 PM More reviews by ShyCaliGirl

I bought this mascara for a photoshoot yesterday. I am picky with mascara and have not yet found my HG. I was excited about trying Colossal because of the things I have read here on MUA but was also worried about how it would smell. I LOVE the way this mascara makes my lashes look! WOW! After two coats I had a dark fan of false-looking, big, beautiful, long lashes! (But don't let it dry at all in-between coats or else your effect will start to go backwards! Flakes, stuck-together lashes, etc.)
I would give this stuff 5 lippies after just one day of wearing it BUT it's too early to do that, plus this stuff really does stink smell-wise. It does--I'm not one to exaggerate. I could smell the rotting roses smell for at least 20 minutes after I applied it, and I asked my friend later in the day to smell my lashes--they agreed that the smell was strong and pungent. I told them that I was thinking about writing Maybelline a letter exclaiming my love for this new mascara but my hate for the disgusting smell.
Later I was on the phone with my boyfriend and became overwhelmed with tears, and the smell "re-ignited," if you will. I didn't see fragrance on the ingredients list so who knows what the source of that smell is... but I hope they fix it soon because I definitely think I will repurchase this product in the future.

***10/1/08 Edit: Still loving this mascara. I still have the same tube and it doesn't seem to be drying out like some mascaras do after a while. I definitely prefer this mascara to pretty much any other I have tried. Some advice: curl your lashes BEFORE you put this stuff on and not afterwards because I did that tonight and ended up with a bunch of embarrasing black flakes all over my cheeks. NOT PRETTY! Other than that (and the strong scent, of course), this mascara gives me wonderful results. Also, I think mascara in general comes out looking better when you really spend your time applying it and wiggling through the lashes gently back-and-forth. You can kind of play with it by brushing it through with the wand or a lash comb before it dries to get the separation and definition you're looking for. Great stuff!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by storytelling

This mascara will not change your life. It's not going to make you have Twiggy's eyelashes with just one swipe. It's good for the price. It's packaged in colorful packaging which is honestly the only reason I bought it! It's not as good as some mascaras but it's better than most. I'd say this is my second favorite drugstore mascara, following Maybelline's Define-A-Lash. The mascara has a chlorine smell to it but it's nothing that will knock you out or make your day unpleasant. It has great staying power, too! I wore it for the first time yesterday & I ended up crying hysterically (It was from the ending of a book... haha) and my mascara looked perfect post-cry. I'd buy this again if I had to. It's definitely not a HG mascara, but it's better than most.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 3:46:00 AM More reviews by tygress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this mascara a couple of weeks ago for $4 at CVS with a coupon and as a part of an in-store special. Comes in a neon colored tube with purple writing. Corny looking colors, but whatever. I bought this in Classic Black, having read all of the mixed reviews and finally decided to try it for myself. I've been using this mascara for about 3 weeks now and have found myself reaching for it more than my HG, Neutrogena Healthy Volume. I use Sheiseido's primer and then 1 coat of this mascara and the volume that I get out of this is one word: AMAZING. My lashes feel soft to the touch and it lasts all day. It doesn't flake or smear either (a big plus in my book b/c it stays really humid down south). There is definitely a scent to this mascara, kinda floral and chemical-like. Colossal's scent though totally dissipates after putting it on. I honestly didn't find the smell that bad, and certainly not bad enough to stop using it altogether. It also probably doesn't increase your lash volume 9 times either but I typically don't buy advertising claims anyway. For those of you thinking about it please don't let the reports of the smell or your dislike of the colors on the outside put you off to buying this pretty decent lil mascara. Its worth a try and would definitely buy again. :)

EDIT: I will never buy this again. I love this but this is a very, very poorly made mascara. The mechanism that holds the brush into place and keeps excess product from coming out at the mouth of the bottle pops out! This is the SECOND tube I've purchased in that this has happened, and from reading on the MUA boards other posters are complaining of the same problem. I have never had this happen to me with any other mascara, and I've used dozens of brands. Pops back in, but leaves the tips of my fingers a dirty mess. Tube is never the same after this. Not worth your money, or the hassle.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2008 2:59:00 PM More reviews by magicBUS

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked this mascara when I first bought it. I used it for about a week and I thought it was comparable to YSL faux cils...however it really started to irritate my eyes and flaked slightly. And the smell was awful. It gives really nice long and thick lashes, but the formula is too harsh and flaky.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by hrm5270

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first pulled the wand out of the tube it was clumpy and the mascara was stuck to end of wand in a clumpy mess and to the brush. It has a very boring look on lashes, nothing special. It does not give my lashes fullness or length. The main issue I have with it, are the clumps and difficultly in applying. I had to wipe off excess mascara so it would'nt clump on the very first application. I had to wipe off the extra mascara and applying a second coat ends up in a diaster due to the fact that it makes my lashes too thick in a messy way. The wand/bush is not the best design for seperating lashes. It's not the worst that I have ever used, but it's FAR from the best or worthy of drugstore price in my opinion.

Oops, I think they test on animals:(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by X1HONEY

So, I've heard a lot about this mascara, and I mean A LOT. Some neggies and some possies. From the looks of reviews and what's been said on the boards, I wasn't gonna purchase it. I'm not much of a fan of Maybelline mascaras, Great Lash gave me some weird eye allergy. However, I walked into wal-mart to check for some sales and such and saw this display. And lemme tell you, I like really eye catching displays, I went over there and it was the Colossal display. I couldn't resist the erge and I purchased this mascara. The packaging is so gorgeous, bright colour and just wow. However to start off, my eyelashes are really short and I have the medium asian eyes, so naturally I'm afraid of big mascaras (heck I looked the other way when the CG Lash Blash is in my way). But for some odd reason I still purchased this mascara. Anyway on to the review.

I opened it and the mascara was easier to control than I imagined it would be, since it is pretty big, I thought I wouldn't be able to hold it for very long, but I could and I was darn proud! I slowly took out the wand from the (I guess you can call it...) mascara bottle. The smell, I couldn't smell anything. I had to literally sniff the wand to smell it and it's not as bad as people say down there. Maybe it's just the one I bought or the one they bought, but it was just a harmful rosey scent. I honestly can say that the girls down there, are OVER-EXAGGERATING. The smell is not so strong, well maybe if you have a really sensitive nose, I guess.

Anyways, I put on the mascara and wow, it was better than my CG Lashexact (If you read my review on that, you'll understand), HG mascara if you will. This mascara didn't give me clumps, it provided me with lengths that my short eyelashes would probably never see again if I ever threw this mascara out and the volume, wow it gave me volume! The volume, isn't dramatic but it's wonderful enough to notice that the Colossal gave you an extra "oomph" into your eyelashes. Wonderful, I know.

So overall, I gave it 4 lippies only because, the wand itself is pretty big, so when applying the mascara, there's a little bit of it that lands on my eyelids, which I can easily fix with a q-tip. Will repurchase this wonderful mascara again and this is probably the first Maybelline mascara I'll ever love <33

P.S. Honestly give it a try, you'll never know what you'll think of it just basing your thoughts on it on someone else's opinion :)