October 25, 2014 | 1806 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by gandydancer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sadly, this will be going back to the store. I've worn it for two days now and the "fragrance"-- it's more like fumes to my ultra-sensitive eyes -- irritates my eyes and it got worse on the second day, not better.. My eyes were extremely red after 9 hours of it today and I can't fathom what it would have been like if my contacts had been in. That said, it's not a badly-performing mascara, especially at the price. I got it in Classic Black and cleaned the wand thoroughly before the first use and had no clumping problems at all. My lashes are very long and it passed the important test of not leaving mascara dots on my upper lid. But the fumes are a deal breaker. Again, I am very sensitive -- to the point of not being able to go into a JoAnn store because the fumes from the cheap polyester fabrics have tears running down my face in moments. So if you're not that sensitive, this might be a good smart-money buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by macpher

I debated about trying this and am glad I did. It has a little more oomph than my HG Maybelline Full n Soft (but not 9x the volume). It did a great job lengthening and some volume and left my eyelashes soft and full and natual looking, which is what I like in a mascara. If you like Full n Soft or Clinique mascaras I don't think you will be disappointed. It does have a faint rose scent like others mentioned, but it disappeared once the mascara dried. Lasts all day on me without flakes/smudges. The brush is similar to Lash Blast, but more tapered at the end and better in my opinion. Much better than Lash Blast which I found clumpy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 6:30:00 PM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this mascara. It lengthens very well, and there aren't any clumps. Obviously, it doesn't add 9 times the volume with one coat, but it is super buildable and you can create more dramatic lashes with more coats. It does smell a little odd I guess, but it's not that big of a deal to me. I am a lover of maybelline mascaras, and this one did not disappoint. I like it better than the normal volum express also, it is less clumpy. I think it's better than alot of high end mascaras out there, that's for sure! EDIT: i never use this anymore and I decided I just don't love it. I wouldn't buy it again. I still like it better than the normal volume express, but I don't think I'd go for it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

This originally reminded me of CG Lash Blast, because of the packaging and the claims, and that's why I bought it. Turns out, this doesn't disappoint! The brush seems like it will be good, because it's big and fluffy, and it's really is good. This builds awesome, luscious volume, which is exactly what I need. As others have said, it smells funny. But I can deal with the scent because I like the performance. I rotate this with Cover Girl Lash Blast, L'Oreal's Voluminous and L'Oreal's Extra Volume Collagen. Those four are my HGs. I've never had much luck with Maybelline mascaras, but this one's the exception.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2008 5:42:00 PM More reviews by jaylb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I too got sucked into the hype and bought this mascara in glam black. I don't care about what color black it is, as long as it is black. It does smell JUST LIKE flonase (an allergy medicine) and I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that. Now to the performance. I have fallen in love with this. It does to my lashes what usually only higher end Lancome mascaras do. It provides amazing length, and spectacular volume for me. I cannot speak to whether or not it holds a curl because I do not curl my lashes as they are already curled for me, but I do know that it does not make my lashes look stick straight. I will def rebuy this, and I pray they never decide to discontinue it or anything like that!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2008 2:26:00 PM More reviews by katie_alti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Overall this is a good mascara and I will finish my tube. Gives good volume, but not any more than the Volum Express Turbo Boost. I use the waterproof Volum Express Turbo Boost normally, and it is awesome, as close to my HG as I think I will come. The smell doesn't bother me at all, and I like the brush. It doesn't flake or smudge. The deal breaker with this mascara is what other reviewers have mentioned: it doesn't hold a curl well. I have decent lashes, but they are straight and rely on that curl to get the dramatic look. If they come out with a waterproof version (which I'm sure they will) I will give that a try. Waterproof mascaras have always held curl better in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 2:16:00 PM More reviews by vanity68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have to agree with one of the other reviewers...she said the scent this has is Flonase..she is dead on! I used it today and that's exactly what it smells like...not bad..but strong..it doesnt linger all day and my lashes are full, thick and this mascara doesn't flake...I like it..not as much as my Lash Blast..but I like it alot..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 1:28:00 PM More reviews by pmnixa

Since all the cool people are doing it, I had to try. I got the Glam Black - I don't see the blue tint in it but it is very black. I would get Classic Black in retrospect. The main problem I have with this is that it tends to be clumpy when you layer it. Even if you use a different mascara underneath it still clumps. I am all for a more than natural look but I don't like the clumps. The rose scent is bad too. It is nice though that it doesn't seem to flake off or smudge (Like my Maybelline Full and Soft does). BUT, it does end up coming off very easily if your eyes water for any reason. I tried Cover Girl Lash Blast and Im much more impressed with that one - wears nice, removes easily, more of a natural lengthening effect ( no hairy spider legs ), and doesn't flake off.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2008 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Poutiful

I found this mascara to give me even less "oomph" and volume than the Original Volum' Express which was my HG a couple of years ago. While it may make your lashes look decent from a couple inches away, if you have pathetic winpy lashes like mine they become invisible from more than about 2 feet away. This doesn't hold a curl very well, perhaps a waterproof version would rasie my opinion a bit. While this may look wonderful on those of you lucky few with long, thick lashes, it really doesn't do much for short, thin lashes. I found that the "Glam Black" color had no discernible shade difference from standard black mascaras, except that it was not as gray and matte when dry. Overall though, don't expect anyone to notice the difference. For ladies with sad little lashes like mine I highly recommend "Lash Stylist", also by Maybelline. The waterproof formula could hold a curl in a hurricane, and the comb applicator allows you to reduce clumps and really get a good "lift" from the base of the lashes. It is the perfect mascara to use if you want visible lashes from a distance! All in all, while I like a lot of Maybelline's mascaras, I found this one to be all hype and not much in the way of results.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by blondie1965

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am always excited to see a "new" product...especially mascara. Well..this is probably the worst I have ever bought. The mascara was OK the first few times I used it. However it did not glide on- sort of a challenge to apply. I took out of my makeup kit yesterday and got a weird surprise-I took out the wand only to find that the mascara had transformed into a thick mud-like substance that had completely covered the brush and wand. It had not been in extreme heat or cold. Very strange. Anyway, I have yet to find a drug store mascara that lasts more than a week. Thay all stop performing even though there is product in the tube.