July 24, 2014 | 1484 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 5:54:00 PM More reviews by srobinb

I'm actually kind of surprised this product has a relatively low rating. It's really the best mascara I've ever used, drugstore or department store. I've searched everywhere for a mascara that will make my wimpy lashes look thick with just one coat, and The Colossal does just that. My lashes are fairly long on their own, but they are thin and fine (just like my hair) and straight. I must admit that I use Shiseido lash primer with this (HG), but I have used it with many mascaras and never got results like this. My lashes stay curled all day, even in the hot, humid Mississippi weather. I even wore this to a baseball game on July 4th - my lashes stayed curled and I had no smudging. This is way better than Lash Blast, IMO (the formula is better, and I am just not a fan of the spikey rubber brush). None of the other Volum' Express mascaras have worked for me, either. But I am actually going to declare this my HG mascara...I haven't even thought about using any of the other eleventy billion mascaras in my makeup drawer since I bought The Colossal. Woot!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 11:24:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

PACKAGING: This mascara comes in a pearl yellow tube with purple writing on it. The tube itself is fairly wide/chunky which makes it easy to hold. I personally love the packaging because I think it's very eyecatching and easily spotted in the depths of my dark makeup case! Some people find it garish, but I think it's nice.

PRICE: Colossal hasn't been released here in the UK yet but like a previous reviewer said, I got a good deal on 2 glam black mascaras for £8 including shipping. I can already guess that when this is sold in stores in the UK, it will be cheap like all Maybelline mascaras are.

FEATURES: 9x the volume in one stroke, no clumps, contains collagen, opthamologist tested, contact lens safe, washable, removes with soap & water or makeup remover.

APPLICATION: First off, the brush is quite big but tapered towards the end, which is good because you can easily reach shorter lashes or your bottom ones with no trouble. The big brush is a good feature. On opening the bottle, there is a smell, but it's not as bad as people are making out in the reviews. I can only smell it if I put the brush near to my nose, which I hardly ever do. It's like a dull rose scent and not offensive in the slightest. The formula didn't sting my eyes either.

RESULTS: This mascara promises 9x the volume in one stroke, but obviously, this is exaggerated. With one coat of mascara on, however, I had considerable length and decent volume. One coat of mascara is never going to give you good volume though, so I applied another 2 layers. One word - WOW! My lashes were insanely long and volumized. I have short lashes to begin with which are not thick at all, but it looked like I was wearing false lashes with this mascara on. I had minimal clumping and no spider lashes (although I don't care what anyone says about them - spider lashes are sexy!). Most mascaras leave the lashes feeling crusty and hard, but my lashes felt rather soft to touch. And no, I could not smell the 'scent' of the mascara once it was on my lashes at all.

LASTING POWER: I wore this for about 6 hours and experianced very little flaking despite the hot, humid conditions I was in. There is no smudging, but then again, I've never had a mascara smudge on me. This mascara definately held up throughout the night.

REMOVAL: Very easy to remove, simply use a makeup wipe or eyemakeup remover, you could even use your normal cleanser to get it off. Despite the mascaras good lasting power, it is very easy to get off and I didn't wake up with any black smudges under my eyes the next day.

VERDICT: If you're looking for a mascara to give you a dramatic look, I'd definately recommend this. Of course, you can not only use one coat and expect to have a false lash look...it's impossible with any mascara, IMO. But if you try out 2-3 layers of this, you'll notice very good length and good volume. It is a cheap mascara that works better than other HE mascaras I have tried. I seem to be one of the only few people who thinks most Maybelline mascaras are HG material (define a lash, volum express curved brush, volum express lift up) and Colossal is definately one of Maybellines best mascaras yet. I have short, non-thick lashes, so I think it's very valid in me saying that for this mascara to give me a false lash look means it is a keeper in my book. I'll be repurchasing very soon! continued >>

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2008 7:32:00 PM More reviews by fairmaiden20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Another great product from Maybelline :) Has a HUGE brush that easily coats every lash and distributes an almost-even amount of product. Dries fairly quickly so a second coat has to be applied right away. Comes in a trendy yellow tube. I am definately a fan!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by lachesisss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a mascara fanatic. Maybelline's The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara, in my opinion is slightly better than Covergirl's Lash Blast Mascara. The Brush for Colossal actually helps to build and define lashes without clumping. The brush is bigger, but it makes it easy to add length to your lash tips, something which I couldn't do with Covergirl's Lash Blast. I own the glam black color, and find that the color does not grey out over lash primer. The product itself is flaky without a lash primer. However, I use this mascara with MAC's Prep + Prime, and I experience no flakiness at all. Plus, the primer helps the product wear better on my lashes. Without primer, the mascara is ok, it does not build my lashes to the volume and thickness that I like, but provides a more natural look.

PROS:
- Nice non-clumping large brush that does not stick lashes together.
- Easy to build length.
- Wears very well with lash primer and does not loose color pigmentation.
- Removes easy with soap and water, eye makeup remover or cream cleansers.
- Glam Black is a nice dark black color.
- Priced cheaper than Lash Blast at Wal-Mart.

CONS:
- Smells like roses. It can be overwhelming at times.
- Has obnoxious packaging (which I like, but most would find a little bit of an eyesore).
- Flakes without a lash primer and has a more natural look.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by chandarae

Love it. I am not a fan of drugstore mascara at all and typically spend $$$ on YSL faux cils and Shu Fiber Xtension to be used together. Lash primer, 2 coats of faux cils, and Xtension over that will get me the volume, length, and hold that I like. I've had the Colossal on for about 5 hours now, and there is no sign of droopy lashes- they are the same as when I applied the mascara. I still need to use a primer- either EL or Smashbox, but 2 coats of this baby over that and it looks like we're set for the day. Loving the price as well as the result! As for the fake roses smell, it really doesn't bother me- like someone else said, it smells like makeup and goes away quickly. I can also wear this on my bottom lashes w/out smudging! If this turns out to be a HG for me- I'll wear it exclusively for this week, I'll upgrade to 5 lippies.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Nkruythoff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was very dissapointed with this mascara. I loved the brush, and it did seperate and lengthen pretty well. But the consitency of the mascara sucked. I don't know if it was because the product dried to quickly or what. It dried very dull and had clumps - the "spider leg" effect. I guess I'll try something else...again!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2008 12:08:00 PM More reviews by staceb1990

I bought this after seeing all the ads for it. Overall, it's an OK mascara. It doesn't give me as much volume as I'd like, but it gives me a nice curl, without using an eyelash curler. The thing that I can't stand about this is how flaky it gets by the end of the. The smell is also kinda fierce, but it goes away.

I probably wouldn't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 7:23:00 AM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got an amazing deal on these mascaras - 4 (2 glam blacks & 2 classic blacks) for only £10! The mascara itself comes in two colours -- glam black & classic black. Glam black has a subtle blue undertone to it, so it's more of a cool, less harsh black than the classic one. The bottle is yellow coloured with purple fonting - it looks funky & stands out in my makeup bag.

The packaging states that the mascara gives 9x the volume in 1 stroke without clumps. I wasn't born yesterday - I know that no mascara will give 9x the volume in 1 stroke to my short lashes, but I was pleased that it offered volume. Once Iíd managed to remove the mascara from the packaging and I opened the bottle, I noticed how big the brush looked. It's a typical teddy bear brush with lots of bristles, which isn't so good for those tiny corner lashes, but still. People have complained about the smell, but I don't find it bad at all. It's got a slight smell of artificial roses, but the smell disappears once it's put on the lashes. I personally don't sit there all day holiding the wand under my nose, so the smell doesn't bother me at all.

The first time I used this mascara I applied 2 coats. My lashes looked better in length & also volume with no clumps. It gives a good curl aswell which holds up all day. This mascara has collagen in it, which I'm guessing helps alot with pumping up my lashes. I was impressed! As I mentioned before, I have short lashes, but the length this gave me was good. Not as good as my HG Maybelline Volum' Express Curved Brush mascara, but still good. It lasts very well over the day and does not smudge or smear as the day wears on, and although it does not claim to be smudge-proof Ė it actually should, because all the times Iíve used it, it hasnít once smudged! There is some slight flaking as the hours pass by, but I can live with that. I must also add that this mascara doesn't leave my lashes feeling crusty when I have it on, but they feel so soft! Removing the mascara is also a doddle. I just use my oil based eyemakeup remover & it comes off easily.

My eyes can be quite sensitive to some products I use, so I have to be fairly careful when trying new products. Colossal Express is kind to my eyes and (thus far) I have not developed a sensitivity to it! This may be of course as the packaging also states that it has been tested under ophthamological conditions and that it is also suitable for people with sensitive eyes as well as contact lens wearers.

I would repurchase this mascara because of the great price, big brush, funky tube & the volumizing/lengthening effects it gives me. Glam Black is my favourite shade, but the classic black is good too. It's not an AMAZING mascara, but it's a very damn good one!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2008 10:14:00 PM More reviews by amroa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i cannot believe maybelline would have my HG mascara!! i've tried everything, from diorshow to NYC and everything in between and although i've found some are better than others, the price paid was not worth it for the difference it made..until i found colossal. i saw the packaging and i came home and looked it up on mua. I was surprised people were complaining that the mascara was a bit too dramatic and it lengthened too much, because that's what i go for in mascaras. So i went and i bought it, even though full & soft had better rating and was recommended by a coworker and when i tried it, i wondered where is the colossal in this equation? i did not see the length or the drama ( i have medium length lashes that have okay volume), the smell reminded me a lot of my last mac mascara...i want to say it was X, but the texture was amazing, at then end of a long day at work my lashes looked fresh and soft, with no excessive volume, but just right. i can finally say i found my HG mascara, and i cannot believe it's maybelline!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by chickety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know people expect different things from mascaras so I'll tell you about me and what I expect. I have naturally longish but wispy thin lashes that are somewhat naturally curled. I love thick seperated fanned out dramatic lashes that still look and feel natural (yes, I know I'm asking a lot). The mascara I love most is Lancome Hypnose, and I also love Tarte Lights Camera Lashes for reference. But I still try every new mascara just for fun. And this one was just ok. The smell is 10x worse than the scent in Diorshow in my opinion, its much more artificial and it makes me hold my breath. I bought The Colossal in 'Glam Black' which is a nice black color. Application was not impressive. It didn't really lengthen for me at all, it seperated nicely and thickened lashes some. I didn't have any clumping. But it flakes quite a bit, and there was also some smudging. Others compare it to Cover Girl Lash Blast, well I love Lash Blast *much* better than The Colossal. This mascara is ok for seperation, thickens lashes a bit, and it doesn't tend to clump. But, that's about it. I wont be repurchasing.

[EDIT]
I am changing my rating from 3 lippies down to 2. There is just too much flaking and the mascara really doesn't do much. Oh and I ALWAYS use a lash primer, either Lancome Cils Booster XL or Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base, and even with primer, this mascara is weak. Also I don't hold the wand up to my nose, I simply apply it to my lashes like every other mascara, and I have to hold my breath or I smell a thick, artificial, headache inducing scent. I know everyone is different, but me, I'm tossing this mascara in the garbage.