August 27, 2014 | 968 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 8:14:00 PM More reviews by steph42245

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the combination/oily in ivory after reading many of the reviews.

Pros:
    Stays on long
    Controls oil
    Doesn't break me out

Cons:
    The bottle! It really needs a pump.

I really like this foundation. It can be a bit pricey (21.99$ CDN) but I waited for it to be on sale. If you want to try this out I recommend doing the same.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 8:46:00 PM More reviews by madelinex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm on the fence with Colorstay. On one hand, it's thick, opaque, and the coverage is more full than I want for my skin. On the other hand, it's the only foundation I've that will last the whole day on my very oily skin. I'm not the type of girl who will dish out more than $15 for foundation- I'd rather go HE for fun stuff like lipsticks and eyeshadow. I'm going to try the new MAC longwear foundation when my bottle of Colorstay wears out.

Also to note- the lightest shade matches my skin well, but I wish the bottle had a pump!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by salhon

Ok foundation for a drugstore brand. Ok coverage, did feel comfortable on. I did have to put it on and blend it in small areas. It dries super fast and didn't work if I dotted it everywhere first. I wore this in Ivory. Even though I have oily skin, I found the matte one for oily skin to be too drying and streaky. I preferred to wear the one for normal skin and just blot for oil throughout the day. Overall, I had ok success with the entire Colorstay line. Also, I found this worked a bit better for me if I mixed a little moisturizer into it first. With out the added moisturizer, it went on streaky and too thick. The moisturizer gave it more slip and a softer, more blended look

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 5:54:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this product after reading that is was a medium to full coverage foundation. I find that it BARELY covers my acne scars and I have to pile on concealer afterwards. I'm not sure why people find this a medium-full coverage...I think it's more of a sheer to medium foundation. I had been previously using Prescriptives Virtual Matte, so maybe I was just used to the extreme coverage that gave. Anyway, I did like that Revlon colorstay really does STAY on my face and doesn't melt off toward the end of the day (something other foundations have always done). I thought it controlled shine VERY well too and didn't break out my sensitive acne-prone skin.
    If my skin ever gets better looking, I may purchase this again...but for now, I will continue my search for a good full coverage foundation.

EDIT: 10/10/12: After trying Kat Von D's new Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, I am in love!!!! PHENOMENAL coverage without oxidation/greasiness. See my review on this for more details, if you're interested. :)
    Hope this review helps!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2010 5:45:00 PM More reviews by michyg

So I had high hopes for this product but it turned out not so great. I wanted to try a drug store brand before I bought high end and I thought this would be good because of all the great reviews on it. Well I looked like a cake when I wore it even if I hardly put any on... plus it did not control my oil at all... Not great for my skin. It did stay on fairly well in my non-oily spots though so if you have dryer skin it may work well for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2010 12:28:00 AM More reviews by rikiya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in sand/beige for combination/oily skin. This foundation really stays on! I worked outside in the summer time and in some cases I've had to be out for nearly 7 hours and most make up would seem to melt off (while powders I'd just sweat off). I know, ewww, why would I bother with make up then? Well, I have acne scars and healing blemishes and the last thing I wanted was to show them to the world. Anyways, with colorstay, the coverage was enough to hide all my problem areas while staying on my face the whole day. The coverage was just perfect.

I'm still using it, now in the fall, but I am noticing that on dry areas of my skin it tends to look pretty bad. What I've taken to doing is mixing a drop of colorstay and my regular moisturizer and blending the two on the back of my hand. Then it smooths on like cream.

I'm taking one lippie off for the packaging though. Most of the time I end up pouring out too much because of the open mouth. I wish it had a smaller opening, or better yet, a pump!

EDIT: 07/18/2011, I've changed the method I put on this foundation. I find that with using my fingers or a foundation brush, I end up putting on either too much or I can't blend it smoothly, which makes some areas seem dry and whatnot. I also invested in a stippling brush, but I find I end up putting on a whole lot more foundation than necessary that way.

The best way, is to use a latex sponge (I had to go through two brands before I found one that works). Soak it in water until it expands out and then squish the water out. I find with a wet sponge, I can blend the foundation all over my face and keep it on the sheer side. For the areas where I need a little more foundation to cover up redness or acne scars, etc, I'd stipple with the sponge until those areas are no longer red. With this method my face actually looks nearly flawless and smooth!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2010 11:09:00 PM More reviews by chocoholic966

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I must be in the minority here, but I did not like this product. There was a decent color selection but the one I chose was slightly too dark for my skin. It did not blend in at all, just sat on top of my face, so it looked really unnatural being only slightly too dark. I got the one for combination/oily skin, which I have, and it felt like paint on my skin, accentuating all the uneven spots. It also smells like paint. And stains like paint. While trying to get it out of the bottle it splattered all over my shirt. I guess I should give it props for the staying power-it not only stayed on my face, but also the shirt. The Covergirl Clean I was using is better than this and even cheaper.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by kiimmy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've gone through multiple bottles of this foundation in both the oily/combo formula and the dry/normal formula. This used to be my HG for awhile, but sadly recently I've had to stray away.
    The first bottle I purchased was in the oily/combo formula, even though I have super dry skin. I bought it because I found a better match in color in that formula. The names of the colors may be the same in both formulas, but the shades are actually a bit different. For example, "natural tan" in combo/oily is much lighter than the shade with the same name in dry/normal. Weird.
    This version is thick, and gives a heavy coverage which I liked. However, it did emphasize dry spots and dried out certain parts. Not a surprise though, since it wasn't meant for my skin type. I still enjoyed putting it on areas where I was not as dry (like my cheeks). The staying power is wonderful, and is pretty much waterproof. It does quite significantly accentuate fine lines and other problem areas though.
    After finishing that bottle, I decided to try out the dry/normal formula. They are completely different. The oily version is thick and dries much more matte, whereas this version is much more runny and gives a more dewy finish. The coverage is a bit lighter, and is easier to blend. Although the formula is sodifferent, it does settle into fine lines as well.
    I used this from fall 2009 to spring/summer 2010. I guess it looks better when the humidity and temperature are lower though, because I've noticed my skin looking DISGUSTING after a few hours of wearing this when the weather got warmer. It didn't dry out my skin or anything, but it just looked really gross in areas where I naturally get dry often. I'm not sure how I could describe it to give you a clear image... The coverage of the foundation kind of faded after awhile, and really emphasized the pores beside my nose and above my nose. It simply looked nasssty.
    However, during my search of a new foundation, I continued wearing this for a bit. Bad mistakee! Several weeks ago I started to break out (I usually get a pimple or two each month at most, but I've never broken out this badly in years). At first I had no idea what was causing this, so I tried eliminating one product at a time from my usual routine to try to figure out what was breaking me out. I stopped using Revlon Colorstay for about a week, and the acne went away. I tried using it again for a few days, and yupp, the acne returned. It might be the product itself, or it might be something to do with bacteria. Either way, I will not repurchase this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

SOOOOOO glad i bought this foundation-- like it even better than the MAC Face and Body i tried!

gave it a 2 out of 5 on the price, since $11 or so is a bit high for a drugstore foundation. Of course, the price is sooo worth it for the quality!

i had read reviews that said that this foundation broke them out, but i didnt have that problem. i think maybe those users just didnt fully remove it all the way. since it's a long wearing formula, it really stays put! so when i remove it i use a cleansing cloth as well as my regular cleanser, and have had no problems. i suppose just cleaning twice would work too.

at first i got the Natural Beige color, b/c apparently meijers doesnt carry the lighter colors, and i did not know this. i'm usually the next to palest shade, so thats what i grabbed at meijers. and they were actually out of the next ligher shade anyways. it was too dark on me, so i went to walmart and got the Buff color, which works MUCH better, and is a really great match! i still need to take back the 1st one though-- hopefully they dont give me grief when i try to return in :/

anyways, i do small parts of my fact at a time, b/c this does dry quite quickly, and the result is wonderful! matte finish, great coverage, and blends well. my new HG foundation!!!

UPDATE
    soooo, i just want to mention: wintertime was makin my skin dry, so i bought the normal/dry skin version, and WOW, its even better! i dont get shiny after all day of wear, it doesnt oxidize as much as the oily skin version, it goes on smoother, and doesnt get stuck to any dry spots as much. still awesome coverage too!

UPDATE AGAIN 11/5/11:
    STILL loving this! i dont use foundation much anymore (or MU at all), but when i want a flawless look, this is what i grab. i love that this can double up as my concealer too. i apply one "coat" all over, and then just go back and apply a 2nd coat over any spots, around my nose, etc. works like a charm!

UPDATE: 02/20/12
    still my favorite foundation! if i'm wanting quick MU i grab my luck minerals MMU, but if i know there are going to be photographs and i'm going to be our for hours, i use this. nothing comes close!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2010 3:42:00 PM More reviews by MckCHehe

I bought this after seeing a MichellePhan Youtube video.

I really loved this. It's cheap, and it works. It's got great coverage (but since I've got acne, I use their blemish concealer as well) and it's easily blendable most of the time. I picked up a shade too dark on accident (I got Buff when I usually get Ivory) and it was harder to blend, but it still worked great. The only problem is, every bottle I've had leaks really bad if it's ever laid on its side, which makes it hard to travel with. It's a pretty good product, all in all.