Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 8/17/2008 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Okay first off, this packaging is gorgeous (but of course it is, maybelline made the super-cute define-a-lash!). But this product is not only presented well it works! I've never used a mascara that made my lashes look so thick AND defined with just enough lengthening. And after I use it there's no heaviness. It feels like I've only applied 1 and a half coats of great lash. The brush doesn't have scarcely any clumps which I was suprised since it wasn't a rubber bristled wand. But this so far is my HG mascara, which is great because it's so affordable. I can't wait for the waterproof!

P.S. The smell is kinda bleh, but it goes away in like 2 seconds so who cares!

on 8/16/2008 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I'm not really impressed with this mascara. On the one hand, it's better than Lash Blast, which flakes like crazy and clumps my lashes into a big spiderlegy mess. Colossal, on the other hand, doesn't clump as much, it doesn't flake at all and makes my lashes look thicker and fuller. The problem is the the amount of product on the brush. The tube doesn't control the product amount properly, so you have to wipe the brush on a tissue before applying and even then, you have to be careful not to over apply and wind up with clumps. Hopefully, Maybelline will fix the tube to prevent this in the future, because I think if you were able to control the amount of product better, you would get a smoother application. Oh, and the smell - yes, it's a little overwhelming at first, but it only lasts a few seconds and then evaporates. Overall, a decent drugstore choice for thick glam lashes, but nowhere near HG status.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine

I love this mascara!! the brush is a bit thick but after a few while i got use to it. as for the smell its not that strong and after a few secs you cant even notice the smell anymore. i have tiny tiny and thin eyelashes and this product makes them look WOW and HUGE!

P.S I love the packaging, the neon yellow with the purple is so cute.

on 8/14/2008 5:15:00 PM

Well, of course i had to try this stuff after all of the hype. Last time MUA hype led me to Lash Blast, which I fell in love with. This stuff, I also like, but not as much. The brush is hard to get used to, and once you actually use it, it gives great long, defined lashes, however, zero volume really. The way I find it best is to use it with another mascara, like over one with more volume, and that way it totally de-clumps everything (this stuff is basically clump proof) and adds a little length.

But, the worst part... THE SMELL. It's horrible old lady perfume and it's STRONG. I am usually not smell sensitive, but this stuff is awful to the point it makes my eyes water, which is not good for putting on mascara. Also, i wear contacts, so I dont know if that makes a difference. My eyes will continue to water all day too... which sucks. I like the actual mascara, so maybe the smell will go away after a while, I have only had my tube for about a week.

on 8/14/2008 1:37:00 PM

This mascara was just okay for me. I am addicted to Diorshow but hate the $20 price tag. I read the reviews on here and figured for $6 I'd give it a try. It definitely made my lashes look thicker and longer vs. with out mascara but I really like my lashes to stand out and pop and this didn't do the trick. It was too subtle for my taste and I won't repurchase. UPDATE: After a couple more weeks of use this mascara has grown on me! It is actually much more buildable then I originally thought and doesn't flake off or clump with multiple applications. Will repurchase after all!

on 8/14/2008 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I discovered this mascara on my last shopping venture for make up two months ago. I have great eye lashes and needed bigger brushes to get a lot of mascara on for a more dramatic look. This looked like it would do the trick. It certainly added a lot of mascara to the lashes but was messy and the actually mascara was really messy and got all over me and I am an expert at putting mascara on. I never throw make up away ever but this product really just upset me because it was all over the place and did not go one smooth. Great for clubbing because it leaves tons of black mascara on so your eyes pop due to the definition of the mascara but it was disappointing for me on a daily basis; Will not buy again, on to find something new...

on 8/14/2008 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is a nice mascara which gives me a little volume, but works little more in the length department for my very short, yet a slightly curvey lashes. However, after three coats, my eyelashes are much more noticable and prettier. I recommend combing through your lashes after each coat to ensure the lessoning of clumping. I use an old mascara wand and it works just fine.

on 8/13/2008 2:52:00 AM

My worst comment on this, is the smell. It smells exactly like nasal spray & I hate the smell! I also dislike the brush, it is too thick, and gets way too much mascara on it. The mascara itself is pretty good though, I would just give it a new brush & smell...

on 8/12/2008 8:16:00 PM

This is the best mascara I've used out of the more inexpensive drugstore brands. I usually use Clinique High Impact Mascara (which is my ultimate fave) but this Maybelline mascara honestly gives me the same (or VERY similar results) at half the cost. It really lengthens, volumizes and defines without clumping and you can layer it for a more dramatic look. My only complaint is the smell... almost medicinal... but it goes away as soon as the mascara is dry. Don't really like the yellow packaging either, but it definately makes the product stand out (which it certainly deserves to!!)
Also doesn't flake AT ALL and washes off easily with my cleanser and water.

on 8/12/2008 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I'm a huge Maybelline mascara fan and have used various generations of Volume Express mascara line for years. This recent addition to the Volume Express family was a disappointment for me. The kiss of death for any mascara is whether it holds a curl and this did not. So, I won't be repurchasing it. Having said all that, this is a pretty good mascara otherwise. It goes on easy, stays put and plumps up my less-than-thick lashes. I got it in Glam Black and it looked like a true black.