April 19, 2014 | 1665 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. I like this. After reading all the positive reviews on this, I decided to try it. It's very good. My lashes are by no means long or thick (thoughI found something that did improve them; more on that in another post). Anyway, as soon as I cam home, I tried this on. VERY nice. Only a basic coat made my lashes decidedly obvious. I work at Sephora so I get a lot of "samples." I tried Diorshow Black Out, but I was less than impressed. I found out that, contrary to common experience, the bigger the brush, the less it takes little lashes like mine. It's either smaller brushes (like Clinique's and Shu Uemura) or the plastic ones, that get all lashes. Also, I need something to lengthen my lashes, as well as thicken them. This does the trick. I would re purchase this. Can't beat paying $7, as opposed to $20 - $32, for a mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2008 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Sheepie1813

The Colossal is a nice mascara, but I wouldn't buy it again. Yes, my lashes seem a bit thicker and blacker, but I guess I don't really need that since I already have pretty thick lashes. I'm more in for a stretching, curling mascara. This stuff does hold a curl, but for some reason my eyes feel very dry after wearing the product.

I actually liked the brush a lot--the Cover Girl plastic bristle brushes just drive me crazy, but this was almost like a fiber brush with the benefits of the plastic. Nice.

As for the smell, it was very familiar. It reminded me of Big Fatty by BeneFit--possibly some volumizing factor that they have in common?

I'll probably use this until the next one comes along ...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by sexyglam

For as big and bright as the packaging is, you would think that you would end up with dark, big lashes, but that's not the case at all. I think mascaras are hard to rate because not everyone is looking for the same effects from a mascara, with that being said if you like your lashes to look black, glossy and defined this may be the mascara for you. I love to have big, super dark, fake looking lashes and this mascara definitely did NOT live up to that. If your faves are Volumous, Diorshow, on anything along those lines you will not be impressed with this mascara. I got much more volume with lash blast which has of course similar bright packaging but thats about all they have in common.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I didn't find this volumizing at all. It was a nice, glossy black (I got Glam Black) that gave me a slightly-more-than-natural look. The regular Volum' Express mascaras give much more dramatic lashes but they do tend to clump so you need to wipe the wand or comb through your lashes.

Colossal was decent but I prefer Max Factor's Lash Perfection/Masterpiece when it comes to mascaras with rubber brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

in my opinion, this mascara is the strongest diorshow competitor ive ever seen come out of the drugstore. and for those complaining about the smell, it is NOTHING compared to diorshows ridiculously strong, perfume-y, rose scent.

it has super thick bristles that seem to grab every lash and impart amazing volume and length without clumping, from the very first coat. and glam black is a stunning, inky black that makes lashes look even more lush.

i looove this stuff and (gasp!) may use it to replace my diorshow for a while if it continues to perform the way it has thus far. im a sucker for a bargain. A+

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 12:13:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Ooh, I likey! I was surprised because all previous versions of Volum'Express were depressing. I was wary of the smell that previous reviewers mentioned, but you know what - the scent actually really reminds me of MAC Fiberlash, and I never hear anyone complaining about that. Anyway, this stuff is really good! I got the Glam Black, which is a dark, blue-black, very nice. The brush is large, but not unwieldy. Compared to CG Lash Blast, I like this better because the brush tip is tapered, so you can get the outer and bottom lashes. It fans out the lashes quite nicely, and it lengthens better than it volumizes. It gives me pretty, feathery lashes, and also holds the curl very well. So pretty. It also removes well at the end of the day with my Bi-Facil remover. For reference, I have short, stubby Asian lashes. My other faves are YSL Faux Cils and DiorShow, as well as Smashbox Bionic.
EDIT: I repurchased another tube, and I am highly disappointed. It's just average - not much length, not much volume. Sadly, I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2008 2:06:00 AM More reviews by xmandee

It's good, but not the best. Great for the price though. Nice colors for packaging. Probably one of the best I've used so far, and I like it more than Diorshow and other expensive mascaras.

I really don't like the huge brush, it's hard for me to get the very ends of my lashes without ruining my eye shadow and eyeliner because parts of it get on my eyelid.

It volumizes decently, it's okay at separation (I prefer comb-like style of brush), and it lengthens pretty well.

It's a well rounded, big brushed mascara with a nice price tag.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 8:33:00 PM More reviews by niferphoto

Not bad - but not as dramatic as I would have liked. It lengthed my lashes more than plumped them. I think l'oreal voluminous in carbon black is still more dramatic!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2008 4:03:00 PM More reviews by laitaliana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wasn't expecting to like this. I figured it was another gimmicky mascara. I was pretty suprised that it lengthened and fanned out my lashes well. They look feathery and lightweight. It thickens pretty good too. It looks like my lashes are natural, but well defined. I don't even need eyeliner with it.

The absolute best part is, that I don't have to curl my lashes for them to look good. It keeps the curl that I create when applying.

The only things I dislike is the fact that when I'm applying, little balls of mascara stick to the tips and I have to brush them out or when its dry, go back and kinda brush them off. It makes my lashes look all spidery and clumpy if I don't. But it doesn't look clumpy anywhere else, only the tips. Kinda weird but I guess thats a good thing b/c it's easy to fix. The smell is also a little weird... I can def. smell it after applying and its not the most pleasant, but I can get over it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by hkgal08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I liked the pretty tube but that was about it. The mascara smelled kinda weird and it didnt really volumnize my lashes. I could've used a cheap regular mascara and wouldnt know the difference