Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 8/25/2008 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm surprised to see that this didn't get better reviews! Like others, I tried this after using CG Lashblast and finding it to be mediocre. I used it (the Maybelline) for 2 weeks and liked it well enough, but discovered that I *love* it just a few days ago. For the first couple weeks I used it, I did my usual routine of curling my lashes and then applying a couple/few coats of mascara. I found it to be pretty decent but maybe nothing to really rave about. Then just a few days ago, my son apparently was playing with my eyelash curler and now I have no i idea where it is. I panicked because I feel that I *have* to curl my lashes, but decided just to go ahead and apply the mascara without it. At least it would be better than nothing. Boy was I surprised to discover that using this mascara *without* an eyelash curler gave me the results I get when I *do* use one. In fact, I think the results are even better. I couldn't believe it. It curls, volumizes, lengthens and separates beautifully and that's *without* having to use a curler. I've never ever found a mascara that could do that. Needless to say, I'll be sticking with this one for quite a while! For reference, I have what I consider to be average lashes - not short but not long, not thin but not thick, and fairly straight. The formula does apply a bit thin but I don't have any problems with it. Also, it DOES have a strange synthetic type of smell which I'm not real fond of but it doesn't irritate my eyes or anything and goes away fairly quickly. Also, I'm not really happy with the fact that the only two color choice are Classic Black and Glam Black. I usually use a brownish black shade. AND there isn't a waterproof version and I can guarantee this would wear horribly in the rain or if you were crying or something. But for regular everyday wear, I love it.
UPDATE 1/7/09: I just bought my second tube of this after my first one ran out. This time I bought it in Glam Black for a more dramatic look. Either the formula is just much worse in Glam Black or they've tweaked the formula since it was first released. I noticed that it doesn't have the smell my first tube did, so I'm assuming it was tweaked. I've used it a few times now and it does NOTHING for my lashes. No volume, some lengthening, but very poor separation so I end up with spindle-y looking lashes. NOT what I was going for. If you bought this before and loved it, be forewarned that it may not work as well for you now.

on 8/24/2008 9:57:00 PM

Pretty amazing after one coat. I've used Maybelline mascaras in the past, and generally I've been satisfied. This one made my lashes pretty much double after a couple strokes. I'd buy this again.

on 8/24/2008 3:04:00 PM

So because this came out at a similar time to CG's Lash Blast, everyone seems to be comparing the two. They are in no way, shape (brush, literally) or form similar.
The stench.
Ok. Yes let's just add that to bajillion reviews before me that agrees this smells like dead roses. Whoever at Maybelline thought that was a good idea, you're an idiot.
Does it work? Yes. But I am about to say something shocking. I think the brush is actually too big. And that's a stretch. I actually prefer Volume Express.
I also, like others, have noticed that it dries out much faster than other mascaras.
It's a good mascara, but something's missing. And I can't place my finger on what.

----
I am updating this review to an almost turnaround. I must have gotten a really bad one from the first batch that came out. The inside of the tube even broke and rendered the rest of the masara useless. I wound up trying another one and the 2 tubes were incomparable. The smell was gone, even the packaging had changed, etc. Now this is brilliant and I find myself going to it more than my other mascaras.

Well, this was disappointing. I picked up the sunny yellow tube hoping I would just adore it (ah, yes...package does play a role to me!).

Considering I find CG Lash Blast to be mediocre, I had high hopes. I usually like other Maybelline mascaras, but this one seems to fare worse than LB IMO.

The formula is somewhat thin to me. Not ideal for volume building. And yes, CG does have a large brush too, this one was even more unwieldy! And on mine, there is a spindley section that pokes out further, with no bristles apparent. I always end up poking the inside edge of my nose/eye with it, making for clean up when I'm done.

I didn't see much curl or lengthening action going on. My lashes (not to brag) are pretty long and lovely on their own. This seemed to pull them to a straight line. Uh...not flattering.

Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing. Ever. Even if all other mascaras disappeared.

on 8/24/2008 1:22:00 PM

I tried this out mostly to compare to CG's Lashblast. It does smell kinda funny which is one main reason I didnt like CG. This brush is better though, it does not clump as much as Lashblast. But what I dont like about it is it feels too heavy and throughout the day it flakes off! I wont be buying this one again.

on 8/24/2008 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This used to be one of my favorites. It gives me super thick full soft lashes that look like falsies! I got this in glam black which I'm guessin is the blackest color for it, and I really liked how dramatic it made my lashes look with very minimal clumping.
Loved the packaging too, it looks sooo cute. Cuter than lashblast's gigantic radioactive carrot packaging.

But this mascara did not add a lot of length and made my eyelashes heavy by the end of the day, making me lose some of my curl. I LOVE having lotsa length, so the no length thing was a deal killer. I still really like it though, I definitely recommend this for volumizing and adding that drama to your eyes. :)

on 8/24/2008 9:20:00 AM

LOVE this product. Thick, full lashes - avoid clumping by applying heavily to the base of the lashes and lightly on the ends.

HG product!

Forget Lash Injection THIS is my new HG mascara. One coat and I have full, clump free, and lengthened lashes. It stays put all day and I have yet to experience any smudging or flaking. I can see how there might be issues for those who try and apply more than one coat but that's all you need with this one. I can't speak for its curling power since I have naturally curly lashes that don't require a lash curler for oomph. I can say that this certainly doesn't weigh down my lashes. It's also a breeze to remove unlike the Lash Injection. Oh and that smell? While it is strong it does dissipate within a matter of minutes. I did have to laugh to myself since I have the odd but accurate answer for all of you curious about the strange rose smell. It smells EXACTLY like Nasonex. For those of you not in the know this is an allergy relief nasal spray well known for giving you the lovely feeling of having a bouquet of flowers shoved up your nose in liquid form. If you're looking for a d/s mascara, and CG Lash Blast doesn't do it for you, then by all means pick this one up. After all it does have a huge reputation for always being on sale for dirt cheap.

on 8/24/2008 1:32:00 AM

I have very sensitive eyes and usually like brown mascaras as my eyes are a very dark brown. Got this in "Classic Black" and I love it! No irritation or sensivity and it lasts all day without smudging or smearing! Will definitely buy again!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Bought this from work the other day, and I have to say that I am impressed! I usually only use it if I am going out, as I have long lashes normally, and it's a little intense for everyday use. It's smooth, goes on so easy, and makes my lashes look HOT. There's only one thing I hate about it, and that's the fact that it smells like death.