April 20, 2014 | 1679 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2009 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Tiffany1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I finally caved in and bought this product a few weeks ago. I don't wear foundation everyday, but I do at least wear a tinted moisturizer daily (also from MAC). This primer seems to work well under both, and it really helps my foundation or my tinted moisturzer and blush/bronzer stay fresh-looking all day. I love the fact that it's not a silicone-based primer... the cream consistency is just right. The spf 50 is a huge plus for my fair skin... even though I feel like to use enough of it to get it's full SPF benefits would not be cost-effective. But, my tinted moisturizer has SPF 15, and I guess with that being my minimum SPF protection, it's good enough for winter. Overall, a great product, and I would definitely buy this again!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2009 7:08:00 PM More reviews by holdenismine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after buying Prep+Prime face, and thought it would good to buy this as it has the SPF included. What I didn't realise was that this is a cream, and the other P+P is a lotion, so this felt really heavy on my skin, and made my skin look and feel quite greasy. Maybe it's ok if you use a small amount, and use a small amount (or none) of moisturiser, but I also don't like how it's in a tube, and the tube is really rigid, so it's tough to squeeze it too, even though there is still 50% left. I definitely won't be getting this again, and sticking to the original prep+prime face with an spf moisturiser instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2009 5:52:00 AM More reviews by hairdessert

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

ok, so i have try out a lot of primers, included smashbox photo finish (whats all the hype?). my skin is combination on the greasy side.
i was looking for something with high spf, cause i use acids in my skincare. and this was why i wanted to try this. and the first impression was not good. looked like a heavy cream, not a primer, i thought i would end up greasy. but no, im all matte :OOOO
my mineralpowder sits like a stone..
it has oil absorbing properties AND is oil free, never have i been so matte for hours (although it can be a bit drying during our winters)
i think mac is quite cheap compare to other "expensive" brands.
a new favorite.
thank you for mac!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by adesisca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a combination skin, i work from 10am to 5pm, and whenever im done from work, my nose will be very shiny. I purchase this product and i apply it on my nose. it works like magic, didnt make my nose shine anymore! i think overall MAC is not that expensive compared to other department store brand! i will def repurchase it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 8:50:00 PM More reviews by 2lilmonkees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

OMG!!! i am oily, acne clog n sensitive. my skin is loving this. n mac face products break me out. been over a week n no probs. so matte all day in southern calif. barely ne touch-ups. skin fells so soft too. n the spf 50 is amazing seeing how NO sunscrees were doin it 4 me n my picky skin. THKS 4 the recs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2009 6:19:00 PM More reviews by nettimacs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

i will be short. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!! cannot rave enough about it. matte, long lasting, high spf, though i have to use moistourizer berfore applying it as my skin is very dry. but nothing can stop repurchasing it:)))

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddictLa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a primer with very high SPF in it. This is not a weightless primer and I can feel it on my face. I would've liked it more if it is slightly lighter on the skin. It does what it's supposed to to which is to hold foundation and to give sun protection. My foundation does stay on all day with this primer (it would usually disappear in the middle of the day) but as I said before, it does not really make my face matte. I also noticed that it doesnt really give my skin that really smooth feeling (silicone).

My skin feels slightly oily to the touch with this primer on my face. Perhaps this is due to the SPF. Despite this con, I still like this very much as it holds my foundation in place. I would still need to blot oil or apply blot powder in the middle of the day though.

The packaging is continent and I do like how it does not have shimmer in it like the MAC prep and Prime. If we add shimmer to the already thick primer, it would result in disaster.

Overall a good two in one product that protects you from sun damage while holding your foundation in place. I may or may not purchase another one depending on whether I can find a SPF primer that feels light on the face.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2009 12:53:00 AM More reviews by Cecilia13Angelina

This is the only primer that works for me. Makes my face feel soft and makes my foundation last all day. It's a little pricey but it works, and you only need a small amount.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2009 2:26:00 AM More reviews by decatur

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin is still extremely oily and getting more sensitive as I age. I also get the occasional cystic pimple. On top of that, the climate here is hot and humid 70% of the year. I haven't had success w/other primers or sunscreens, mainly because I can't stand the way they feel under make-up... Suffocating and, in the case of the primers, ineffective (for me). Based on reviews here, I gave Prep + Prime SPF 50 a shot and got two generous samples that I've used over the past two weeks. What a pleasant surprise! The gluey-looking white cream seems to liquify on contact and acts as a very nice canvas for concealer and Studio Fix (or other) powder foundation. I probably am not applying heavily enough to claim the full SPF benefits, but am thrilled that my oil breakthrough appears to be reduced by about 50%. My redness stays reasonably well covered all day, too. So far, no break outs or reactions. I'm actually looking forward to buying a tube this weekend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2009 12:01:00 PM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 2012: I wrote the following review during a time when I had very oily skin that broke out frequently. Since then, my skin has normalized, and I find this primer too heavy. But I still think it's the best thing I ever used when my skin was having acne troubles.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
This is my new HG sunscreen. It's the only non-oily sunscreen that stays reasonably matte all day without feeling heavy. (And I've tried a lot, including Neutrogena Dry Touch.)

And, of course, it's a primer, and a very good one at that. With this primer, I'm able to use my not-so-favorite foundations. This stuff makes them look better and last longer. It actually has a mattifying effect, but no chalkiness -- so unusual for a sunscreen product.

Seriously, I can get through a whole day of work and a workout at the gym and only have to blot once if at all. That has never happened for me before!

Despite my 5-lippie rating, there are some downsides:

1. It is really hard to wash off. I'm used to using creamy mild cleansers or mild castile soaps. But now I'm having to use a foaming detergent-based cleanser to get this stuff off.

2. It is slightly drying (or maybe my skin is dryer because I'm having to use a stronger cleanser). I developed some dry scaly patches around my nose shortly after I started using this. An oil-free moisturizer seems to have solved the problem so far.