December 22, 2014 | 1776 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2007 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Tabby2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Alima's shade range is fabulous. As we all know, very subtle differences in a foundation's color can translate into either a subtle and gorgeous finished look on the face -- or a very UNsubtle and even ghoulish finished look, so I appreciate that they have so many choices for so many different skin tones. I'm not as gaga over the texture of their foundation, though you think I would be, as my skin tends toward oiliness, but as I also have sun damage, I find that the makeup is not very forgiving on those dreadful orange peel areas. Bottom line: I don't think you can beat this line for shade range, and I imagine that if your overall skin texture is even and smooth, you will adore the application and the wearability. But for my money, even though I like Alima well enough to keep checking out their site and perhaps making another purchase, Aromaleigh's Glissade line, while not as beautifully subtle in its color range as Alima's, simply does a better job of making my skin look and feel smooth, creamy, and natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2007 4:13:00 AM More reviews by senbei

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is fabulous. I literally tried every liquid or powder foundation at Sephora this week arghhhh(!) and no matches. I tried samples of Warm 2-4 and Golden 2-4 for my Asian, slightly olive skin. Both of these series were lighter than I expected them to be. The Golden series are truly yellow, as in crayon yellow. The Warms are pretty yellow as well and made my skin look powdery, but when I mixed it with Eucerin sunscreen moisturizer, the finish was perfect. The slight yellow cast brightened my skin, but I'm going to try olive for a closer match as well, though this worked beautifully.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2007 10:07:00 PM More reviews by abigail80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was getting desperate to find a powder or mineral makeup to match my very, very fair skintone (BE Fair, and Lancome, Clinique, Prescriptives, and Maybelline Dream Matte powders were all too dark) and I decided to try Alima based on the reviews here. The company has excellent customer service and my order arrived within a few days and with generous extra samples. The foundation samples come in a cute mini-plastic pot and are great to travel with! I ordered C-0, C-1, and N-0. Much to my surprise, the C-0 was actually too light for my face! It is pretty much paper-white. The C-1 looked better, but I think the N-0 worked the best at evening out and matching my skintone, so I ended up buying the N-0 full-size pot. I use my stila concealer brush to dab where I need more coverage and my stila #21 brush to buff onto my face. The coverage is sheer, but buildable, and the texture of the minerals is very fine (much more so than BE). I like the satin matte finish - not shiny, just glowy. After about three weeks, no breakouts and I like that the packaging is plastic, so it is much easier to keep clean (unlike the BE rubberized top). Reasonably priced as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2007 2:05:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an update based on transition to summer: I first tried Alima in the fall & winter, so my skin was drier and I needed a golden color to match the fading summer tan. Now it's spring & hot/humid and I'm appreciating this foundation even more. I have normal to dry skin but can't bear to put liquid fndn on in this weather. The Alima settles down beautifully, evens out imperfections and - this is key - if you get the right color it never looks cakey or 'kabuki'. If it does, you have the wrong shade. I'm really going to depend on this for the summer & recommend it over any other mmu. I was a devoted cream/liquid user until trying this, and now I'm totally converted. It looks great in pictures too.

I found a perfect match in G-3 for summer - that is, a match to pull my face and neck together. It looks bright banana yellow in the pot but a light dusting settles in and looks invisible, yet gives me even, healthy looking skin.

But there is no other foundation out there, liquid, powder or cream, that measures up to the color range of this one or goes as far out into the yellows without being orange or peach. I would buy again. *Update* I've switched to W3/W4 for winter and it's a great match. I miss the finish of cream foundations so I often pat on some moisturizer after applying this. Amazingly, it doesn't melt off or smear. I keep wanting to go back to cream or liquid, but when I try, I miss the color match and weightless feel of this stuff. Two tips: use lots of moisturizer and/or a hydrating primer underneath (LM Hydrating is great) and use a little shimmer powder to relieve the matte-ness of it. I've used Alima powders (gorgeous), Shimmerbricks and Scott Barnes Diamond Dust and all do the job. Just use a light hand on both the foundation & the shimmer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2007 9:54:00 PM More reviews by redhair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE this makeup. It looks so natural and there's like a million colors to choose from. Price is reasonable for a mineral makeup, shipping is speedy and they always send you cute little samples w/ your purchases. Love that they let you buy a million dirt cheap little samples of the makeup before you commit to a big jar so you can find the right color for you. Coverage is light to medium, a few light layers of product beats one heavy application. Ingredients are all-natural, no parabens, fragrance, phthalates, bismuth, etc. My one gripe is the packaging and I have this complaint w/ all the mineral makeups I've tried. Why, why, why, can't they come up with a little slider thingy that will keep the makeup in the jar and not resting on top of the sifter so I can throw this in my purse and so that when I'm in a rush, I can just pull it back a little and not have a huge lump of powder dump into the lid when I'm trying to tap just a bit in?? Eeergggh! Okay I feel better now :-) Oh, I almost forgot to add, unlike a lot of other mineral makeups (i.e. BE) the color stays the same throughout the day. No turning into a pumpkin at midnight.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2007 10:06:00 AM More reviews by myamax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a quality mineral make-up with a very large selection to suit many skintones. It doesn't turn orange on my skin later in the day which is another plus! However, while I would purchase it again, I must say I may have found another mineral make-up I like better as it gives a creamy glow to my skin - U Glo Girl. I alternate between these two brands at the moment. If you are into mineral make-up give Alima a try as their customer service is fantastic, qualithy is really good, and their selection is great.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2007 7:54:00 PM More reviews by yummi4tunekookie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I loved the fact that there were so many shades to choose from--made getting a foundation that matched me so easy! Especially since I ordered many samples and mixed them myself. The cover is nice and natural and makes my skin so even and pretty! Nowhere near as shiny as BE!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2007 8:32:00 AM More reviews by colline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Only a little coverage and make my pores look bigger. Too much shades which make me confused.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2007 3:53:00 AM More reviews by yeet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

At long last, i have found my HG! It cannot be more difficult for me to find a foundation match - im asian, tanned with peachy and golden undertones. I have uneven skin tone and because i do outdoor sports, my skin tone also changes from time to time. On top of that, i want a natural-looking foundation that makes me look like i have great skin, not like im wearing a mask.

I found a solution to all of the above in Alima. Bought samples of different colours, then played around with them until the perfect match was found in W5 + G4. The coverage was very natural and buildable. Im really surprised at how little is used each time. It's been close to 2 weeks, and i've only made a small dent in the 2 sample plastic containers.

A trick i've learnt from the Alima website is to give a few spritzes of water to the face using an atomiser after the make up is done. The finish is beautiful! Im going to try using a wet brush next.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2007 11:07:00 AM More reviews by barbiH

Just two days test-driving Alima's Satin Matte and I have a full-fledged SD reaction. I'm sure it's due to the serecite mica.
I didn't downgrade my overall rating however since this sensitivity to certain micas is not that common. But I felt I should add a review in case any other SD-prone was considering trying this MMU.
I will say that everyone's correct in praising the customer service. The samples are well-done and generous. I really wanted this to work for me so it is a bit disappointing...but I'm used to that since my skin is so reactive. Just a mention about shades in case it might be helpful. I'm a MAC C3 and Alima's W3 Coriander was a great match.
INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No