Estee Lauder Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

New as of :)12/2012:Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)] Original: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 1.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIBEHENIN, PEG/PPG-20/20 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHICONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINA, BHT, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, CHLOROXYLENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, [ /-(MAY CONTAIN)IRON OXIDES(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA, TITANI DIOXIDE (CI 77891)]

on 7/14/2012 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I got this in wheat. Very blendable, but dries kinda quick. The coverage is sheer to medium, you can layer it to achieve the look you want. The finish is natural matte, not dead matte. This has the best staying power. I wear it in heat, sun, horrible climate and under sweat, extreme conditions, after 4 hours, no shine, nothing, that was amazing. Even you don´t need retouch, or only a little bit of powder, but not redone all makeup. No breakouts and it lasts. Could show dry patches, so be sure to moisturize well.

on 7/14/2012 4:11:00 PM

****Another update! I'm re-purchasing DW. I had the wrong shade before - Pale Almond, which was too pinky toned. I've been matched to Sand now and using a sample of that, and it is much better for my pale olive skin. It is hard to find just the right shade with this foundation.

Also I find mixing a small amount of EL Idealist Illuminting serum with the foundation gives the more natural, 'glowy' appearance I was looking for, then I build on the areas I need it with straight DW.

Still not quite the Holy Grail, but the one I keep going back to!****

***I've edited this review and given an extra lipstick; after all, Double Wear has served me well for many years. I also tried the more careful application method - using less product and blending well with a brush - and this did make it look better. Not sure how I got away with 'slap and go' when younger, but now seem to need to spend more time on it!***

This is my first review! I'm a veteran of Estee Lauder Double Wear, been using this make up for about 15 years - so yes, in the past, I would have given this 4 stars and said I would buy it again (and again..), but something has either changed with my skin, or with this make up.

Before I went on Roaccutane, I had oily skin and Double Wear was great - stayed put, didn't go oily or greasy looking and covered acne well. So that's why I used this make up for so long.

However, since my course of Accutane, I don't have really oily skin any more and no acne (still got scars and large pores though). Now I find Double Wear cakey and dry-looking, especially on my cheeks and not natural looking at all.

OTOH, could it be that Estee Lauder have altered the formula somehow without telling us? I just don't remember it being so dry and flat looking before, it's major selling point was that it covered well, whilst still looking natural.

Anyway, for oily skin, this is a really good choice, but for older, drier complexions, well it doesn't seem to work for me any more.

on 7/14/2012 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I have been using doublewear foundation for over 5 years I use the shade 6C1 Rich Cocoa.

I loved this foundation. Yes, it needs quite abit of blending but once its on, its more than worth it. An airbrushed finish. I begin with a primer and a light oil free moisturiser then use a flat top stipple brush to blend. It needs patience as you must let it have 5 minutes to dry before setting with a powder. This foundation can last for more than a day plus with minimal touch ups. I would've highly recommended.

BUT I have noticed a change in the formulation of doublewear. I even had to return a bottle I bought because they had changed Rich Cocoa to New Rich Cocoa which, although I was told was my colour, is not. I was horrified so I have stocked up on a few bottles of the original Rich Cocoa. I am really not impressed with the reformulation, it's colouring is off, it needs constant retouching in the day and its patchy in a few hours. Bad move Lauder because you ruined a beautiful thing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I had to try the famous Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation after reading and hearing all the rave reviews. This product, in my opinion, pretty much sucks. It is way to high maintenance for me. DONT BOTHER IF:
You have dry skin whatsoever. That meaning dry skin, combination/dry skin, dry areas etc. Even using moisturizer right before applying, this product clings to dryness and looks caked.

If you don't have an hour to use a sponge/brush etc to apply it. I'm a mother of a 21 month old and barely have 10 minutes to use TM.

What I can say is that I was impressed with the color selection available -- wide selection of yellow-based, which isn't always easy to find. Also I had no problems removing the product with my normal facial cleanser.

Would not recommend or repurchase.

on 7/10/2012 8:05:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I read so many amazing reviews on this product so I could not wait to buy it!!
I went and got color matched to Ecru, which in the lighting seemed o.k, but I was just trusting the lady's opinion.
I wore this the next day to work.
Firstly, consistency: It's quite thick, and very pigmented.
Formula: It's a high-medium coverage, with quite a heavy powder base, hence the 'matte' appearance. Due to the thick powdery consistency it dries really fast, so it can look patchy if you don't work with it quickly.
Color: There aren't too many shades, and if you are pale like me and live in Australia, you have the choice between 2 shades! Ecru, a yellow based shade, or bone, at least a shade darker, and pink.
Ecru was too dark and yellow for my pale slightly pink complexion.
I felt like I had jaundice lol! So shade selection is poor.
Wear: This is definitely the products best feature. It wears for a very long time. I even wore it for 20 hours and it still covered everything.
That said, it felt sooo heavy. Sticky even. AND even with my reasonably nondescript pores, they were emphasized :(
And it seemed to separate with oil.
Removal: not easy lol. I had to use a makeup wipe, makeup remover oil, then cleanse my face. I then toned with a cotton pad and there was still makeup on the pad!

Overall, I ended up returning this, from wearing it twice, because I don't have the time in the morning to work with this stuff. There are MUCH better products out there.
I will say, if you have the time and patience to blend it, it does look nice, and photograph well. The coverage is great and if you can find your shade you will probably like it alot more than me!

on 7/9/2012 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have spent a lot of time and dollars looking for that perfect foundation.
I have dry sensitive skin that is very fair with slight yellow undertones.

Double wear is fantastic. The color match was perfect and the coverage and staying power of it is amazing. I use the smallest drop of it and mix it with advanced night repair serum or with idealist even skin tone illuminate serum to make the foundation glide over my skin with good coverage and good skin care benefits! I make my own version of a bb cream! Lol.

I had tried Chanel. Dior, Mac, Lancôme, Laura mercier, bourgeouis, make up forever, shieseido, and none of them came even close to being as good as the Estée Lauder double wear.

Go get a sample.

Note... If you use too much then yes you'll have a cakey looking face. Try a stippling brush or fingers to apply. And use a small amount!

on 7/9/2012 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Very good foundation. I'm Asian descent with brown skin, i found a shade to match my complexion. The foundation stays in place all day long, it blends with your skin. i've had no break outs. I do have to use a facial scrub followed by the clarisonic & cleanser to get out at nights.

on 7/8/2012 8:49:00 PM

Definitly a holy grail foundation for combination skin to oily skin. Fact is, I'm using it like for almost 12 hours and my combination skin(which is more to oily) is not become oily at all.

It feels so good on the skin.^^ Really!? Good coverage too.^^

Some people told that this product is kinda hard to blend, dry so quick, and for those who's has pores, this product will expose thos pores.
Well, I have pores too. And I didn't see my pores exposed.*I kinda have technique for covering that

I'm blending it on my skin using Shiseido Foundation Brush, per section, with a quick round moves. After I applied it all over my face, I concentrate on my pores, I use a little more of it and start to dab and blend it with a forward and backward motion to hide the pores. And VOILA, magic happened!

I really love this product..^^ I can't believe I'm wearing make up now.

on 7/7/2012 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE this product :) After having a discussion on the merits of this foundation with a friend, i decided to write a review on it. The short version:
- very long lasting, even if rinsed with water, in hot weather, sweat..
- doesn't clog pores (in my opinion anyway)
- looks very natural but smooth
- at first glance, it is an expensive product but since 1 bottle can last for a long time, it's not that expensive
- comes in a glass bottle but no pump

I don't know how I survived all these years without it, lol. This foundation is truly amazing! I have very sensitive skin & have to be very careful with what I use... so far, this product has not caused any break outs on me, thankfully (I've used it for 13 months now). I only need to use a small amount & apply it using my fingers. It looks best if you put it on top of the Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator & Hydrationist Moisture Creme (skin looks super duper smooth! i had one of the EL beauty advisors do it on me when I bought my second bottle a couple of weeks ago). However, it's not a "must" - you can use it on top of whatever moisturizer you usually use. Instantly, it gives you a full coverage, giving you an even skin tone, hiding most of your imperfections (except large pores..those might still be seen but to a lesser degree). I don't even need a concealer when I use this, lol.

Yes, it is very long lasting - especially if you applied it directly to your skin (no moisturizer, etc). I once had a quick shower over lunchbreak and my ELDW was still in place when I was done, I was amazed! As i have combination-oily skin, I do touch up with a bit of pressed powder or blot on & off throughout the day to remove any shine, but if your skin is less oily, you don't need to do that at all. However, you must cleanse your face properly with a makeup remover at the end of the day. This thing doesn't come off with a simple wash, huhu...

I can't say if it's transferable or not.. i think if you wipe your face with something, yes, to a certain extent, it will cause a bit of brown tint to transfer but I don't normally see it on my clothing so it's cool. It doesn't run when the weather is hot or if you sweat. Actually, you could see beads of sweat forming on top of the foundation but the ELDW stays put, and looks perfectly fine. There's no fragrance, & it doesn't feel too heavy. In fact, once I put it on, I pretty much just forget about it ;)

I only need to use a small amount for the whole face & neck. I think if you put more, it will start to look a bit cakey. It looks very natural - most of my friends can't tell that i'm wearing foundation - it just makes the skin *look* rather flawless even when it's not, lol. I use it daily & yet, I still managed to make one bottle last for about a year! Maybe I use a very small amount, I dunno, but I'm happy with it ;) And considering that I don't have to buy as many pressed powders as before & only pay RM138 once a year, turns out that this product is not that expensive after all.

It comes in a clear glass bottle, so i have to turn it upside down to get the foundation out... I think I would have preferred if it had a little pump but i'll live ;)

I don't know what else I could tell you, except that this product is excellent. This is a MUST in my makeup purse! Thank you Estee Lauder, for such a great product :)

on 7/7/2012 4:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really don't see what the big deal is about this foundation.
Reviewers say this is the HG for oily skinned ladies...
so i said LETS PUT THIS TO THE TEST. As you might know my
skin is OILY. With a capital O...yes indeed. Almost nothing lasts on my
skin.

Wooooow
this stuff looks bad. It clings to any dryness with a passion, and looks so
matte and unnatural in sunlight.
Not to mention it didnt last any longer than any other foundation ive
used. Revlon CS is just as good as this stuff.
Also...eww this sinks into fine lines and makes me look old. ew :(