August 1, 2014 | 1202 users online

Self Tanners - L'Oreal - Sublime Bronze

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2005 10:45:00 AM More reviews by redhairdreamer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So far so good. Ive only used it a few times, only on my face and neck. But no streaks, not orangy, smell is not bad though not amazing and it gives me a light glow with the light medium. Ill update more as I use it more.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2005 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Slim2

I was SOOOOO disappointed with this product! At first I LOVED it - it seemed perfect as far as the color and wear. At last the HG of self-tanners (even though it does take a long time to dry). But then I got what I thought was a cold sore, then another, and then an itchy rash all over my lips, chin and chest - even my hands!!! I have been using self-tanners for years; I think I was one of the first people in the world to use them, so I consider myself very experienced in this area. NEVER have I had this experience with a self tanner! Hey, if it doesn't make you break out or give you a horrible rash, then it could be great! I wished it worked for me!!!!! Update: 1 week later - still have those itchy hives, but they're clearing up. Hope it doesn't happen to you!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2005 9:43:00 PM More reviews by ketchupgirlx

I have experimented with almost every drugstore self-tanner on the market in the last five or six years, and this product is by far one of the worst I've used. The smell was disgusting straight out of the bottle and became worse as the product dried after applying it. There's no harsh perfume, it's just straight-up self-tanner stink. But my major beef isn't with the unpleasant scent. As a fair-skinned blonde, the color was totally wrong. I used the "Medium" tinted gelee (the lightest shade available, I might add) and on me the color was way too dark and looked reddish-orange, kind of like a very ripe pumpkin. Because of the consistency of the product, it didn't mix together well with the body lotion I usually use to slightly dilute self-tanners before applying them. But despite my attempts to apply the product sparingly, after two showers and lots of exfoliation, the next day strangers looked at me funny and my friends and co-workers were amused (though I wasn't laughing). The only good thing about this product, for me, is that the color faded pretty quickly. My dark haired, olive skinned friend had better results with this product, however . . . so pale girls, be warned: L'oreal Sublime isn't sublime for those of us with fair complexions.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2005 2:23:00 AM More reviews by dreambaybee04

This is the best experience with self tanner I have ever had! I disagree with previous reviewers about the smell...I find it very pleasant. It does take quite a while to dry...I put it on after a shower at night, let myself dry for a while, then go to sleep and shower again in the morning. Take it from someone who was not only an avid tanner, I managed a salon...this is such a natural color. I used the tinted lotion in medium-deep on my body and the dual action face tanner on my face, and in 2 nights I had reached my desired color. It fades nicely, and using it once or twice a week will maintain that beautiful color. I think I'll be saving my skin from now on from tanning and use this instead!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2005 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Huckleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, this product will make you look tan, but at what a price!

The smell is absolutely hideous that it's almost embarassing to go out in public. At first it is faintly chemical, but then it intensifies! I was very self-conscious about this, and I was right in feeling that way, because my mother told me that I stunk when I visited her. I had applied the lotion after my bath the night before, and she could smell it on me the next afternoon.

Also, it leaves your skin VERY sticky and greasy for a good hour after application. I would take a bath, apply the lotion, wait around for an hour or more and go to bed. This is because the first time I applied the lotion I made the mistake of only waiting 20 minutes to go to bed. Well, I had to buy new sheets because they turned orange!

Although the resulting tan color is nice, the side effects are too overwhelming. I wouldn't recommend this product, and I will not be buying it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2005 6:47:00 PM More reviews by prsxlilxchula

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't actually buy this formula from the Sublime Bronze line, I bought the tinted lotion but its not on this list. BUT BEWARE!!! The first part of my bad experience with this lotion was the SMELL. It smelled so horrible from the moment you open it and it just gets worse. Well I slathered it on and I thought it might work good since it was tinted. Boy was I wrong!! I wake up and nearly screamed. There were missed spots and streaks ALL OVER my body!!! Plus my ankles looked so dark. Thats not it!! It even faded horribly, like in bits and pieces instead of fading all together. BEWEARE!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2005 4:08:00 AM More reviews by WestEndGal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for the light/medium lotion. This is actually the first self tanner that came out right on me. I'm very fair with freckles and have never had a tan. I'm almost clear. But this self tanner looks so natural, all my friends want to use it now. It takes quite some time to dry though. The only time I apply it is right before bed and I sleep in a long sleeve shirt and pajama pants. In all, it's a great tanner and it lasts for about a week on me.

I recently realized that just exfoliating really well and NOT applying moisterizer beforehand made me streak-free. The lotion itself is pretty moisterizing. I, however don't have dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2005 4:03:00 PM More reviews by 5ftcutie

This is one of the best looking self tanners out there!!! I'm very pale...Nichole Kidman pale and this stuff gives me a great colour!!! I prefer the gelee to the lotion, it's easier to apply evenly. One thing...it doesn't dry as fast as I would like and I wouldn't put it on my face because it feels like Johnson and Johnson Baby oil in the new gel formulation!!!! So putting it on your face probably isn't a good idea. ALSO...I bought a few bottles last summer and I have one left, I just looked at it and it's changed from a gel to a liquid...funny. I prefer Life Brand self-tan towelettes. For you Canadians (like me) you can get them at Shoppers Drug Mart. SECRET....they are the exact same thing as "TanTowel" it even has the tantowel symbol on the back!!!!! Plus they are $8.00 to $10.00 cheaper!!! DEAL!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2005 9:23:00 AM More reviews by thalia

This review is for the lotion for face and body in medium. I use this on my face once in a while but I avoid it whenever my skin seems irritated or on the brink of breakouts; it's not the most gentle st ever. Still, the color is even, subtle, and usually can be used without causing breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2005 7:00:00 PM More reviews by margotmargot

I'm a big fan of the lotion. It does take a bit of effort to apply (exfoliating, lots of cetaphil cream on knees and other dry spots), but no other self-tanner I've tried gives me such a natural, streak-free fake tan. It does smell a little like dry dogfood the next day, but not enough to make me stop using it. I've found that the best way to avoid streaks is to use a lot of lotion at once, so that it is very easy to spread. Since I don't want to get too dark, I mix the self-tanner with regular lotion in my hand before applying.