October 21, 2014 | 1962 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Hautepants

Why didn't I know about this before?! I have been using MUFE HD foundation and MAC powder. I came across this on a Target binge and had seen the reviews, so I thought for $6 you can't really cry if it's not as good as
You expected. I LOVED this!!! I think the reason people are getting a white
Face from it, is they're not applying it Correctly and using too much. You only need a little and I wouldn't use the puff they give with it. I find that loose powder always applies better with a powder brush! Elf has one that is also amazing. You can also fan it off with a brush after applying so that you get all the excess off..but I didn't find that necessary with my application.
It left my skin looking so pretty and soft, and really set my foundation perfect. It's great. I love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 10:47:00 PM More reviews by IslandGirlSPN

Ive been using CG translucent medium powder for a couple of years but I was never satisfied with it the way I am with ELFs HD powder. CG has a strong perfumey scent which I dislike. ELF has no scent thank goodness. My foundations I wear tend to be just a tad darker so the whiteness of this powder offsets that and actually makes the foundation look better. There are micro sparkles in this powder but not like overkill like Revlons Aqua Colorstay powder which is a glitterbomb. ugh!! I noticed my pictures with me wearing this look great. My face looks flawless!! I had tried poking holes thru the plastic as suggested to control spillage but decided instead to simply peel up an edge,cut and expose about 12 holes. This has been working best for me. I love this powder and will repurchase. I am so glad I gave it a try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

I haven't tried the MUFE version, so this is a review of the product on its own not as a dupe.

Packaging: I actually really like the packaging on this. The little box is just so leek looking sitting on my counter. It is a rectangular shape with a screw top lid. There is a sifter in it. A lot of people have commented that it's impossible to not get powder everywhere, and I could certainly see how that could happen. But if you leave the puff it comes with firmly on top of the sifter, it should hold it in place. And open it on a flat surface. The sides of this are much higher than say, an Everyday Minerals jar. I think this is LESS messy than most loose powders I have.

Product: I don't use this that often as I don't wear foundation very often. But I did put it on and my boyfriend commented that my skin looked like it had been airbrushed and was totally flawless. It created that sort of matte magazine look that seems to be the gold standard of perfect skin. I didn't take any detailed photos, but in just snapshots my face did in fact look flawless. This did not settle into fine lines the way many powders do on me. If you over apply this, I can certainly see it creating a ghostly effect in photos. As some other reviews mentioned, this doesn't seem to absorb oil as well as some powders. I have dry skin so this is not an issue for me. I primarily use this daily to set my under-eye concealer and it does that VERY well. My under-eye area always looks bright and flawless.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2012 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Farinarr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this product is just okay in my opinion. it gives the skin a nice flawless finish once applied, but be careful not to use too much as it can give a white cast. however it cant to mac prep and prime translucent finishing powder, which keeps the face less shiny for longer, looks much more flawless when applied, doesnt leave a white cast and photographs much better. i think if youre on a budget then this powder is amazing for the price, but i wont be repurchasing :( oh and another thing the packaging is an absolute nightmare, i salute anyone who can open this without powder spilling all on the sides! its also really big and bulky so not all practical to travel with

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. I bought this awhile ago because, as others have written, it's been compared to the MUFE one. In the past I bought the Smashbox Photo Set Finishing powder and found that one just "okay". I haven't found a finishing powder that sets my make-up, helps it last longer, controls oil, and doesn't cause my foundation to cake. If I could find something that does all that it'd be HG for me. But sadly I don't think such a setting powder exists. This powder caused my make-up to cake like crazy. It didn't seem to "set" anything. I've been using it for months now and I thought it was causing my pimples (it isn't). Over all I don't really care for it. I don't get that silky feeling like I did with the Smashbox powder. My foundation still slips off my forehead, cheeks & nose. Oil still peaks through by mid day at latest. I wish this would work but for me it didn't.
I left my over all rating a 3 'cause I'm sure someone else could love this while I just thought it was "meh".

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by adamj2004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

People saying this is the same as MUFE HD Powder are dead wrong in my opinion. The only similarities the two have in common are that they are both white and both are silica based. That's where the commonalities end. The MUFE is much more finely milled while the ELF is much more grainy and chalky. Also, the packaging on the ELF is TERRIBLE and incredibly messy and unnecessarily bulky. I used it for awhile but ultimately went back to MUFE. It's the best, there's just no way around it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I needed a good translucent setting powder and I was leaning toward the MUFE one. I had purchased MUFE Mat Velvet & the sales girl told me that would be best to set it with that powder. Honestly, I couldn't justify spending the $30+ on it especially after hearing a ton of people say this one is the same exact thing if not better. I think this product serves its purpose. It has gotten cakey on me once or twice but it does a good job at setting. The one thing that I don't like about it is that it does lighten my foundation. I have a foundation that is just a smidge too dark for me & when I set it with this it ends up being my color. The foundations that are perfectly matched to me end up looking a bit ghostly on me after setting them with this so I will probably only use it set that one foundation that is too dark. I also noticed that for my particular skin there is absolutely no oil control. Honestly, for $6 you really can't go wrong if it works for you. It's a nice sized amount of product for the price and I'm pretty sure it will last months even if its used daily. I did read enough reviews before purchasing to know to puncture holes instead of taking the seal off so I won't say its messy. I'm not sure as of yet if I would repurchase it because of the fact that it does make me look whiter.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 3:27:00 AM More reviews by GlamorizeMe

I tried this for the first time and this powder makes my skin looks flawless! I've tried other kinds of powder to set my face and it always leaves dry patchy skin on my face(since I have dry skin, esp in the winter time). When I applied this, it immediately smooths out my flaws and my face was literally glowing. I also used it to set my under-eye concealer and it works very well! Definitely buying this again and its so damn cheap!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by ZebraPrints

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder makes my skin flawless, and soft. I rated 4 stars because there is a tiny bit of shimmer in it, which I don't care for.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 4:55:00 AM More reviews by Strawberryblonde3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was looking at the Make Up Forever HD powder which is just silica but is pricey. I wanted a powder to set my makeup where I get oily and not look cakey. I found this in Target for $6 and i thought I should try the cheaper one. I really don't know what the more expensive one can offer me now, it did everything I wanted and lasted all day. It made my face feel silky as well. I don't know how well this does on camera since I never take pictures, but I might try just to see. I don't think it makes me look white but I don't use a lot and I'm pale.