August 27, 2014 | 1774 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. I bought this awhile ago because, as others have written, it's been compared to the MUFE one. In the past I bought the Smashbox Photo Set Finishing powder and found that one just "okay". I haven't found a finishing powder that sets my make-up, helps it last longer, controls oil, and doesn't cause my foundation to cake. If I could find something that does all that it'd be HG for me. But sadly I don't think such a setting powder exists. This powder caused my make-up to cake like crazy. It didn't seem to "set" anything. I've been using it for months now and I thought it was causing my pimples (it isn't). Over all I don't really care for it. I don't get that silky feeling like I did with the Smashbox powder. My foundation still slips off my forehead, cheeks & nose. Oil still peaks through by mid day at latest. I wish this would work but for me it didn't.
I left my over all rating a 3 'cause I'm sure someone else could love this while I just thought it was "meh".

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by adamj2004

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

People saying this is the same as MUFE HD Powder are dead wrong in my opinion. The only similarities the two have in common are that they are both white and both are silica based. That's where the commonalities end. The MUFE is much more finely milled while the ELF is much more grainy and chalky. Also, the packaging on the ELF is TERRIBLE and incredibly messy and unnecessarily bulky. I used it for awhile but ultimately went back to MUFE. It's the best, there's just no way around it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I needed a good translucent setting powder and I was leaning toward the MUFE one. I had purchased MUFE Mat Velvet & the sales girl told me that would be best to set it with that powder. Honestly, I couldn't justify spending the $30+ on it especially after hearing a ton of people say this one is the same exact thing if not better. I think this product serves its purpose. It has gotten cakey on me once or twice but it does a good job at setting. The one thing that I don't like about it is that it does lighten my foundation. I have a foundation that is just a smidge too dark for me & when I set it with this it ends up being my color. The foundations that are perfectly matched to me end up looking a bit ghostly on me after setting them with this so I will probably only use it set that one foundation that is too dark. I also noticed that for my particular skin there is absolutely no oil control. Honestly, for $6 you really can't go wrong if it works for you. It's a nice sized amount of product for the price and I'm pretty sure it will last months even if its used daily. I did read enough reviews before purchasing to know to puncture holes instead of taking the seal off so I won't say its messy. I'm not sure as of yet if I would repurchase it because of the fact that it does make me look whiter.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 3:27:00 AM More reviews by GlamorizeMe

I tried this for the first time and this powder makes my skin looks flawless! I've tried other kinds of powder to set my face and it always leaves dry patchy skin on my face(since I have dry skin, esp in the winter time). When I applied this, it immediately smooths out my flaws and my face was literally glowing. I also used it to set my under-eye concealer and it works very well! Definitely buying this again and its so damn cheap!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by ZebraPrints

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder makes my skin flawless, and soft. I rated 4 stars because there is a tiny bit of shimmer in it, which I don't care for.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 4:55:00 AM More reviews by Strawberryblonde3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was looking at the Make Up Forever HD powder which is just silica but is pricey. I wanted a powder to set my makeup where I get oily and not look cakey. I found this in Target for $6 and i thought I should try the cheaper one. I really don't know what the more expensive one can offer me now, it did everything I wanted and lasted all day. It made my face feel silky as well. I don't know how well this does on camera since I never take pictures, but I might try just to see. I don't think it makes me look white but I don't use a lot and I'm pale.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by ChaseSpearing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I hate to add to the tremendous number of good reviews for this product but I must.

It sets my makeup without looking cakey and provides an amazing finish to the skin, no matter what is underneath it!!

This is now being sold at the Target stores in my area and I highly suggest you all try it out!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by kasiecakes

This is initially very nice! It's super silky and very finely milled. Even though its a stark white powder, it applies very translucent if you use a light hand (which you're supposed to!) I used a baby buki with this, brushing it over the puff to collect some powder and using it to buff over my face. The oil control is so-so. I found that it made my cheeks and forehead oily, but my nose really dry which is odd considering I have dry cheeks and oily t-zone! It was cheap and for the price, it's worth a try. It's a good powder and it does give me a diffused soft-focus effect for a few hours, so its nice! I wouldn't repurchase this because I like my Blot Powder so much more, but it's a nice alternative sometimes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 1:41:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

Depending on how you use this product, you will love it or hate it. I use it to set my foundation. Im dark skinned (NW 43), and this doesnt leave a cast, if you use a setting spray.

I use the puff that comes with it to pat where I need the powder (t-zone). Then I use a big fluffy brush to spread it out and blend it.
I then use Fix+ to set/melt the powder into my foundation, and to take away any of that cakey look.

The packaging is AWESOME btw. It has a screw top so it wont spill out into your bag.

I like it because its a great finishing powder, just make sure to invest in a finishing spray to eliminate any cakeyness.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 1:58:00 PM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Update: I ended up hating this powder. Way too drying. Waste of money. Doesn't come close to MUFE or MAC Prep & Prime.
This is an alright setting powder, but I don't like it as much as my MAC Prep & Prime. It's nice to have a cheap alternative on casual days, however.