December 21, 2014 | 670 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by felicab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using the 0.05 Tretinoin for approximately 4 weeks. I initially had purging which resulted in peeling and minor breakouts. After a week or so that was resolved. I now get some occasional peeling, but overall its too early to tell final results. However, even with the initial use my face is beginning to look better than before. Tretinoin is a product where you have to stick with it. Most people have had the best success after at least 24 months of use. After the initial outbreak most people quit using it. You really do have to stick with it!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2010 12:52:00 PM More reviews by tangledupinpink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was the first prescription treatment I tried for my acne. For whatever reason, my insurance decided to be generous and cover the cost of a generic version of this medicine.

Prior to using it, the doctor and pharmacist both warned me that I would probably experience some burning, itching and redness. So I was prepared for the worst.
However this never did come to pass (I later paid for my luck here during my tazorac treatment!!).
During my Retin-A treatment I had only a slight red tint to my cheeks in the morning that did pass with time. There was no peeling to speak of and no itchiness at all.
Unlike many users, I was able to use a treated acne wash in addition to the Retin-A.

I used it for 14 weeks. Initially I saw no improvement. Then around week 4 I began to see clearing skin and fewer white heads and cystic acne. My black head count seemed to remain the same.

It never did give me amazing results. As I did continue to break out on a reduced, but still regularly basis. Somewhere around week 12 I began a gross explosion of acne. Worse than before the Retin-A. I gave it 2 weeks to clear up before calling the doctor's office and requesting something different.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by recaulk25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought generic %.05 Retin-A cream via generic 4 all dot com, after trying several OTC retinol products and deciding I wanted the results that only come from Retin-A.

I use it every other night, waiting 30 minutes after I wash my face to apply. Sometimes I moisturize right after washing and I guess that buffers the effects of the Retin-A somewhat. I have dry/very dry skin and generally need to exfoliate a lot, but with Retin-A I use a washcloth very very gently when I wash my face and that's all the exfoliation I need.

Overall, this is an HG. The three tubes I got for $45 US including shipping will probably last a year (and won't expire before then) and I can already see, after using it for only two weeks, the improvement in my skin's clarity and texture. I'll use Retin-A forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2010 9:56:00 PM More reviews by taz1946

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this off and on for over 30 years and it has become a staple. I have used every % and delivery system (gel, micro, cream) offered and can't say I really prefer one over another. Although my facial skin shows little to no immediate reaction after each use, I am going to say it accumulatively works because I think my skin is in great condition for my age! Now for the bonus -- I buy the generic versions from ADC - it's soooo cheap and use it on my neck, chest and arms. At first it made my skin rough feeling and then voila it turned as slick and soft as satin. No kp! It is one of the only skin care products out there proven to work on wrinkles.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2010 11:46:00 PM More reviews by nikibagga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just recently got a sample of this product from my derm to use. I have been on proactive for years and years - definitely more than ten years. Recently I have started getting spots on my jawline and my chin, and they're not the monthly hormonal ones. I don't know what cleansers to use with the Retin-a-Micro. I'm not a big fan of cetaphil, and am looking for a gentle but effective cleanser. Any recommendations?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've suffered from acne ever since I was a teenager. So I've tried it ALL...benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, every odd treatment out there. Retin A cream was the first and only treatment that REALLY worked/works for me. I've been using it for years. I tried to quit a few months ago and got the most horrible breakout within a month. So I got some more Retin A and I'm all cleared up.
Retin A even clears up the red spots you get from acne. My skin looks beautifully clear and glowing. I get complements on my skin all the time, how clear it is, how wrinkle free, how naturally glowing, even without makeup.
Furthermore, Retin A cleared up the melasma that I was getting above my lips.
Yes, it is drying, so I have to use a good, fragrance free sensitive skin moisturizer. I also use a mild exfoliator 2 - 3 times a week for the flaking. This removes the old, dead skin as Retin A forces cellular turnover. And, sun block is a must, not optional, when using Retin A.
But, for the beautiful clear skin this medication gives you, all minor issues are negligible.
I did like the older container though, with the lid that measured the amount to apply for you. But I don't get that with the generic med. Price you pay for paying half price. The easy measure lid made sure that you didn't use too much, as just a little does the whole face. Like a pea size amount. Any more over-dries and doesn't increase the efectivesness of the medication.
You also have to realize that this isn't an instant fix. It takes about a month to 2 months when you first start using this to get full effect. And you do get a little purging in the meantime. But once the skin clears, it makes the wait well worthwhile.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Smashra08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. I used to suffer from acne since my teens and seemed to only get worse in my 20's. My doctor prescribed Retin A gel and my skin has never looked this good. Yes it does dry out your skin and make it flaky and sensitive, but its only temporary. It took about 1 month of continual use to clear up my skin, and now I use it occasionally to help with the scarring. I havnt had a break out in many months, until I recently used a Neutrogena cleanser ( BIG MISTAKE) which my skin reacted badly to and it made me break out, however after a week of Retin A my skin is back to normal. I love love love this stuff

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Maliktai

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using Retin A a few weeks ago and clearly had some trepidation after reading reviews of what other users experienced. My skin is dark, quite dark, and slightly oily. I am now 59 so it is less oily than it once was, and it is sometime dehydrated. I have always been prone to blackheads.

Like many of you, I have spent many dollars over the years trying out over the counter products with Retinol. I finally decided to take the plunge and get a prescription for Retinol. It cost me $10 from my derm.

I started out and am still using it every other night. In just three short weeks, my skin looks much better. I had some purging and breakouts the first few days, and my forehead looked a bit odd but that has ended. I have not experienced any flaking.

On the off nights, I just use a basic moisturizer. Right now I am using Boscia's Night Hydrator which is ok although it does not seem to sink it well.

One of the major benefits of using Retin A is that it cuts down on all the other products I have been using, buying, throwing away, etc. A big time and money saver.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by jessiness

I didn't buy this for the anti-aging effects (I'm still a teenager), but my doctor actually recommended it for my acne. I would say, it was decent. I could tell it minimized some acne around my nose, but other than that? No results. I still got whiteheads and pustules/papules on my forehead, cheeks, and chin. Even on my nose sometimes. I don't know if the fact that I was using the generic form was a factor in this, but nonetheless I would not buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Banjos

I have used generic tretinoin gel for about 16 months. I have experienced moderate/mild acne and whitehead/blackhead problems since adolescence. My skin is sensitive so I started with 0.01% for the first year. Last fall I moved up to 0.025%. I use it every night unless the peeling gets too bad and then I skip a night or two. Try to wait an hour after washing your face before applying Retin-A to minimize irritation.

I am considering modifying to every other night now that my skin is much better. The flaking I remove with Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid in the mornings. I avoid moisturizers although I am sure they would help the dryness (but might make the clogged pores worse). Most of my blackheads and whiteheads are gone and my skin has definitely smoothed out. Tretinoin takes incredible patience and things do get worse before they get better. If I had not been initially warned about what to expect in the way of negatives, I am sure I would have given up in a few weeks. I am not sure if I will try to go up to a stronger concentration next year. Give it a chance; it is scientifically proven to work on the cellular level.
UPDATE I: Although it is summer, my skin is suddenly not doing so well with tretinoin..red, breaking out some. When I stop using it for 4 or 5 days, I break out more for a couple of days when resuming use. Maybe, I need a break with it as I have heard that can sometimes be necessary.
UPDATE II: It seems my skin has hit the level of diminishing returns on tretonin. My face started looking red and flushed a lot but that is improving the longer I stay off the product. Probably I can resume using it on the blackheads located on my nose, though. However, it is a good product for many people; it is just not particularly easy to use, especially for those with sensitive skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No