September 23, 2014 | 1066 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2010 11:46:00 PM More reviews by nikibagga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just recently got a sample of this product from my derm to use. I have been on proactive for years and years - definitely more than ten years. Recently I have started getting spots on my jawline and my chin, and they're not the monthly hormonal ones. I don't know what cleansers to use with the Retin-a-Micro. I'm not a big fan of cetaphil, and am looking for a gentle but effective cleanser. Any recommendations?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've suffered from acne ever since I was a teenager. So I've tried it ALL...benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, every odd treatment out there. Retin A cream was the first and only treatment that REALLY worked/works for me. I've been using it for years. I tried to quit a few months ago and got the most horrible breakout within a month. So I got some more Retin A and I'm all cleared up.
Retin A even clears up the red spots you get from acne. My skin looks beautifully clear and glowing. I get complements on my skin all the time, how clear it is, how wrinkle free, how naturally glowing, even without makeup.
Furthermore, Retin A cleared up the melasma that I was getting above my lips.
Yes, it is drying, so I have to use a good, fragrance free sensitive skin moisturizer. I also use a mild exfoliator 2 - 3 times a week for the flaking. This removes the old, dead skin as Retin A forces cellular turnover. And, sun block is a must, not optional, when using Retin A.
But, for the beautiful clear skin this medication gives you, all minor issues are negligible.
I did like the older container though, with the lid that measured the amount to apply for you. But I don't get that with the generic med. Price you pay for paying half price. The easy measure lid made sure that you didn't use too much, as just a little does the whole face. Like a pea size amount. Any more over-dries and doesn't increase the efectivesness of the medication.
You also have to realize that this isn't an instant fix. It takes about a month to 2 months when you first start using this to get full effect. And you do get a little purging in the meantime. But once the skin clears, it makes the wait well worthwhile.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Smashra08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. I used to suffer from acne since my teens and seemed to only get worse in my 20's. My doctor prescribed Retin A gel and my skin has never looked this good. Yes it does dry out your skin and make it flaky and sensitive, but its only temporary. It took about 1 month of continual use to clear up my skin, and now I use it occasionally to help with the scarring. I havnt had a break out in many months, until I recently used a Neutrogena cleanser ( BIG MISTAKE) which my skin reacted badly to and it made me break out, however after a week of Retin A my skin is back to normal. I love love love this stuff

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Maliktai

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using Retin A a few weeks ago and clearly had some trepidation after reading reviews of what other users experienced. My skin is dark, quite dark, and slightly oily. I am now 59 so it is less oily than it once was, and it is sometime dehydrated. I have always been prone to blackheads.

Like many of you, I have spent many dollars over the years trying out over the counter products with Retinol. I finally decided to take the plunge and get a prescription for Retinol. It cost me $10 from my derm.

I started out and am still using it every other night. In just three short weeks, my skin looks much better. I had some purging and breakouts the first few days, and my forehead looked a bit odd but that has ended. I have not experienced any flaking.

On the off nights, I just use a basic moisturizer. Right now I am using Boscia's Night Hydrator which is ok although it does not seem to sink it well.

One of the major benefits of using Retin A is that it cuts down on all the other products I have been using, buying, throwing away, etc. A big time and money saver.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by jessiness

I didn't buy this for the anti-aging effects (I'm still a teenager), but my doctor actually recommended it for my acne. I would say, it was decent. I could tell it minimized some acne around my nose, but other than that? No results. I still got whiteheads and pustules/papules on my forehead, cheeks, and chin. Even on my nose sometimes. I don't know if the fact that I was using the generic form was a factor in this, but nonetheless I would not buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Banjos

I have used generic tretinoin gel for about 16 months. I have experienced moderate/mild acne and whitehead/blackhead problems since adolescence. My skin is sensitive so I started with 0.01% for the first year. Last fall I moved up to 0.025%. I use it every night unless the peeling gets too bad and then I skip a night or two. Try to wait an hour after washing your face before applying Retin-A to minimize irritation.

I am considering modifying to every other night now that my skin is much better. The flaking I remove with Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid in the mornings. I avoid moisturizers although I am sure they would help the dryness (but might make the clogged pores worse). Most of my blackheads and whiteheads are gone and my skin has definitely smoothed out. Tretinoin takes incredible patience and things do get worse before they get better. If I had not been initially warned about what to expect in the way of negatives, I am sure I would have given up in a few weeks. I am not sure if I will try to go up to a stronger concentration next year. Give it a chance; it is scientifically proven to work on the cellular level.
UPDATE I: Although it is summer, my skin is suddenly not doing so well with tretinoin..red, breaking out some. When I stop using it for 4 or 5 days, I break out more for a couple of days when resuming use. Maybe, I need a break with it as I have heard that can sometimes be necessary.
UPDATE II: It seems my skin has hit the level of diminishing returns on tretonin. My face started looking red and flushed a lot but that is improving the longer I stay off the product. Probably I can resume using it on the blackheads located on my nose, though. However, it is a good product for many people; it is just not particularly easy to use, especially for those with sensitive skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/19/2010 3:39:00 PM More reviews by riannick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I started using Retin-A on January 1, 2010. (I'm 33 and would like to tackle all the sun damage I accumulated in my early 20s; stopped tanning altogether in 2006. Plus, I have acne, of course.) It's Feb. 19 today, so that's exactly 7 weeks. I'm here to tell you that while my skin is smooth (after I peel it off), it is still breaking out like crazy. It's really aggravating to wait the 12+ weeks out. It feels like it'll never get better! My derm told me to mix the Retin-A Micro .25% w/ a dab of Cortaid gel. It cuts down on the inflammation (redness) and doesn't interfere w/ the effectiveness of the medicine. I alternate using Retin-A every other night. On the off days, I use a Clarisonic Skin Brush, which truly helps w/ the sloughing, and a noncomedogenic, hyaluronic acid-based moisturizer. Please, someone tell me it gets better and WHEN. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 3:06:00 AM More reviews by coloredpencils

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for Retin-A gel .25 from Ortho.

Warning: you really must use sunscreen with this medicine.

I have fair skin prone to adult cystic acne and clogged pores. On top of that, I am getting the results of gravity and facial expressions--my smiles have caused lines around my eyes and my high cheekbones and dimples have wreaked havoc around my mouth/nose area.

I've used Renova and Retin-A Micro with success. However, I felt that the RAM was very strong and caused a prolonged period of irritation/flaking while the Renova did not work to remove the clogged pores. And so, I struggled with trying to work the two together. I added Retin-A gel .01 and liked the results.

And then I simply stopped. And yes, your skin does revert to what it would have been had you not used a retinoid. It's kind of insidious...you start noticing lines.in suspect places. So yes, I was going Around the eyes and mouth and noticed that when I slacked my skin wansn't the same.

Lo, I finally found the .25 Retin-A gel online, which I'd been looking for.. I started by using every third day and buffering with a bland moisurtizer before applying (buffering is applying a moisturizer before apply the Retin-A).

Some peeling but nothing major. Sure, there were days when no makeup would do...and then I'd just apply moisturzer, a bit of foundation on my nose, and go about my business. I was my own worst critic. The main thing is not to try to manually exfoliate. Sure, there are products. Forget them. Sure, you can scrub with a washcloth. NO. All you will get is irritated skin. The best remedy I found was to wipe in a downward motion with a damp towel or gauze cloth after cleansing to remove any obvious skin and then applying moisturizer and WALKING AWAY. Dim the lights. Go to sleep.

Then, after a few weeks, i began applying the Retin-A gel directly on skin every other dat after at least a half hour after washing and then tapping a non-comedogenic moisturizer (for me) on top. Walking away Sometimes I will use pure jojoba oil, other times Sage creams. Oh warm nights, I simply spray a very light mist of low % glycerin and rosewater mixed with water and checked with a Ph check strip.
When I got to this point and noticed dry skin in the morning, especially around my mouth and nose, I simply rinsed my skin with water, soaked my skin with water or under the shower and lightly rubbed anything II could under the shower with my fingers, used a gauze cloth to lightly exfoliate--but not really rub. A downward motion really helped to removed the loosened skin.

Added moisurizer and walked away (I like Md Formulations or Sage Advice).. Some days my makeup didn't look right. I'd just add a layer of moisturizer on top of the spots the were flaking and go about my business.

In this beginning stage, I came home after work and used my oil cleanser to remove ss and any mu, applied a glycolic cleanser. Waited and applied my Retin-A gel.

Am now at the point where I am using the gel every third night regularly and applying moisturizer at least an hour after application. I actually keep my moisturizer on my bedside table in case I forget to use.

I'd used Retin-A gel when younger when my adult acne hit home. Thing is, I never knew about buffering or adding an appropriate moisturizer after. Perhaps some may not need these measures, but even with my extra-oily skin, I suffered redness, irritation, and dehydration. However, my skin always looked younger than my age due to the on and off use of Retin-A.

When going back on my retinod this last time, after a period of light purging and obvious under-eye lines, my skin looks so much better. Lines are plumped and my pores are completely clear. Will never stop using. Learned my lesson.

Update: I've been buffering since starting and dabbing my moisturizer on about an hour after and find that I get a minor peel on the second day. But wow. My skin looks so much better. All of the clogged pores are gone...and my eye and upper lip area is finally responding. My n/l lines are dimished as well as my the fine lines around my eyes. Even with less sleep, as long as I keep up with my routine, the results are amazing. I am using every second or third night as my skin is older. But the results are in. This percentage of R-A is working way better than Renova, RAM, or the lower percentage

I do use the ,25 Renova on my neck and chest with a buffer as these areas are more sensitive.

The thing with the Retin-A is that you have to deal with how your skin accepts the product. My best bet was to buffer (apply a light oil or moisturizer) for the first month or so. Then wash. and wait for 40 minutes and then add a bit of moisture around the mouth and nose.

Now that the weather is warmer, I can wash, spritz a bit of my rosewater/glycerin spray, and then apply the R-A with great success. No clogged pores , no breakouts, never any cysts. Fine lines are better. Sunscreen is a must to keep the skin plump and protected.

31 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 2:04:00 AM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If there is one skincare product I cannot live without it is retinA! It single-handedly cures my acne, resurfaces my skin and makes it clear, smooth, tight and even toned. All the other products I use would not be effective if it not for retinA to set the foundation right. I have also been able to switch to much more ordinary drugstore toners, moisturizers, and sunscreens without any issues as far as pores clogging etc because the retinA is so effective at maintaining perfect skin. So so worth it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Used this when I was in high school and it did wonders for my acne. Yes it produced peeling, burning and redness as side effects but it helped dry up my pimples immensely. Must use sunscreen and moisturizers with this.