Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 11/19/2009 12:54:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have been using baking soda as a body scrub for several years now. It is good stuff; better than the St Ives Apricot scrub with AHA that I recently picked up just for a change. I take a small bowl of baking soda into the shower with me and mix a little into my Trader Joe's Citrus shower gel. Leaves my skin smooth. On areas that are a little rougher (elbows and feet), I increase the proportion of baking soda to gel (about half and half). Just like anything else, don't overdo it.

on 11/12/2009 2:04:00 AM

Add a tsp to your regular shampoo and it degunks better than a clarifying shampoo.

on 11/9/2009 1:30:00 AM

baking soda and a mild cleanser is an excellent gentle yet effective facial exfoliation, it has a comparable granule feeling as microdermabrasion crystals and leaves your skin absolutely glowing and refreshed.

on 10/7/2009 11:33:00 PM

I'm definitely a skeptic when it comes to using natural or household items as beauty care products, but I have to say using baking soda as a daily facial scrub has changed my life (been using it a year now)! I mix about a teaspoon of it in the palm of my hand with my cetaphil gentle cleanser (which alone didn't do anything for my non inflamed acne) and it works wonders. The baking soda is so fine that is perfectly scrubs my face without being too harsh and washes away SQUEAKY clean (ready for my witch hazel no alcohol moisturizing toner, followed by mandelic serum). My skin used to get dry patches, yet have white heads and black heads too, since using the baking soda in my face wash, my face has transformed. I know using a scrub daily sounds crazy but if you have non inflamed acne like I described it is necessary; Using a gentle scrub allows your topical treatments to penetrate the skin and work.

Wow. I used this before reading the reviews here as a face scrub, I'm kinda disappointed that others have had bad experiences with it. Well, I just dove right in and used it mixed with my usual cleanser, alone, and as a microderm scrub (I tried a concocction that I made up myself by using the soda as a scrub/mask, then applying a mix of lemon juice and honey over it and I swear it works just like those foaming crystal microderm scrubs do, foams up and everything, leaves a glow to skin as well) and I love it so far. Right now I'm piecing together a regimen that uses nothing but cheap natural cupboard products. Oh the money I'd be saving if I could find everything I need at the food store for less than $5!!! So far I'm up to crisco as moisturizer, baking soda as a scrub, and bentonite clay *coughkittylittercough* and variations as masks, and so on. But yeah, if you want to try something similar to say Philosophy's or Olay's microderm scrub try that. So far it works identically.

on 9/23/2009 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Very very harsh. I used this when I was younger after reading Begoun's recommendation. I hear she's rescinded since then.

on 9/20/2009 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

amazing product!!!...leaves my skin so soft and pimple free if use in conjuction with acv toner...loves this combo together=)

on 9/15/2009 6:33:00 PM

While I wouldn't use baking soda as a facial scrub, I highly recommend it as an addition to your shampoo if you are living in an area with hard water, or if you have a well. I am dealing with mineral-infested well water right now, and my hair looked terrible-I would wash it and rinse it forever and it would look as though I hadn't been near shampoo for a month-even using a clarifyer! Then my hairdresser told me to mix equal parts of shampoo and baking soda in my hand and make a paste with them. Use that as shampoo and only condition the ends of your hair if needed-my hairdresser told me to mix baking soda with the conditioner as well, but I didn't find it necessary. I saw a difference the very first day, and in a week, my hair was residue-free-it can take a few days for optimum results. After using baking soda every day for a couple of months, I started getting some buildup at the ends of my hair, so I stopped adding it for a few days to strip it off, then began adding the baking soda again. What a difference-much more shine and richer color-no more dulling mineral residue and scalp scurf! And to think I was about to spend a fortune on special hard water shampoos....SO glad I talked to my hairdresser first!

on 9/10/2009 7:08:00 PM

Is there any way I can give a zero...

So, I read some reviews on a different review board about making a baking soda mask. You use baking soda and water to make a paste, apply to skin, leave on for 10-15 mins and poof it leaves you with smooth soft skin.

HAHA I did this to my poor face three days ago and it caused a burn!! My face was incredibly red tight and super painful / uncomfortable!!!! And now it looks horrible, it's still super tight and it hurts to talk / smile.

If you do this, try it on a small portion of your face. I feel so ridiculously sad about my skin right now and I don't want anyone else to go through this. I cried in class the other day because of how bad it was.... how embarrassing! Skin problems are the worse!!!!!!!!!

on 8/22/2009 3:05:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I will use a little baking soda once in a great while mixed in with my shampoo, as it does remove product build up. Used infrequently it is a good thing, I cannot use it very often though, as then my already dry and coarse hair just becomes more so.

Using baking soda on a regular basis on the skin really wiill have a negative effect on the acid mantle, the natural barrier made up of oils on the surface of the skin. Baking soda is very alkaline. I am surprised that so many people like to use it as a scrub. Estheticians will use a baking soda and water solution as an all around basic neutralizer after applying a chemical peel. Chemical peels are acidic, the baking soda being alkaline brings up the PH of the skin.

A baking soda and water solution applied while the skin is being steamed will definitely help when it comes to blackhead extractions, it probably works just as well if not better than all those "fancy" lotions and potions out there, but using baking soda for extractions is something we should only do once in a while. Regular use of baking soda on the skin in the form of a scrub, well, I just don't know, I can't see it ever being a good thing at all. All these positive reviews befuddle me!

Popular Other Products