November 23, 2014 | 2056 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2009 11:55:00 PM More reviews by lilmissyblee1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow. I used this before reading the reviews here as a face scrub, I'm kinda disappointed that others have had bad experiences with it. Well, I just dove right in and used it mixed with my usual cleanser, alone, and as a microderm scrub (I tried a concocction that I made up myself by using the soda as a scrub/mask, then applying a mix of lemon juice and honey over it and I swear it works just like those foaming crystal microderm scrubs do, foams up and everything, leaves a glow to skin as well) and I love it so far. Right now I'm piecing together a regimen that uses nothing but cheap natural cupboard products. Oh the money I'd be saving if I could find everything I need at the food store for less than $5!!! So far I'm up to crisco as moisturizer, baking soda as a scrub, and bentonite clay *coughkittylittercough* and variations as masks, and so on. But yeah, if you want to try something similar to say Philosophy's or Olay's microderm scrub try that. So far it works identically.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by m331

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very very harsh. I used this when I was younger after reading Begoun's recommendation. I hear she's rescinded since then.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2009 9:31:00 PM More reviews by kitkatz07

amazing product!!!...leaves my skin so soft and pimple free if use in conjuction with acv toner...loves this combo together=)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2009 6:33:00 PM More reviews by OICMe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

While I wouldn't use baking soda as a facial scrub, I highly recommend it as an addition to your shampoo if you are living in an area with hard water, or if you have a well. I am dealing with mineral-infested well water right now, and my hair looked terrible-I would wash it and rinse it forever and it would look as though I hadn't been near shampoo for a month-even using a clarifyer! Then my hairdresser told me to mix equal parts of shampoo and baking soda in my hand and make a paste with them. Use that as shampoo and only condition the ends of your hair if needed-my hairdresser told me to mix baking soda with the conditioner as well, but I didn't find it necessary. I saw a difference the very first day, and in a week, my hair was residue-free-it can take a few days for optimum results. After using baking soda every day for a couple of months, I started getting some buildup at the ends of my hair, so I stopped adding it for a few days to strip it off, then began adding the baking soda again. What a difference-much more shine and richer color-no more dulling mineral residue and scalp scurf! And to think I was about to spend a fortune on special hard water shampoos....SO glad I talked to my hairdresser first!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2009 7:08:00 PM More reviews by Jodi1630

Is there any way I can give a zero...

So, I read some reviews on a different review board about making a baking soda mask. You use baking soda and water to make a paste, apply to skin, leave on for 10-15 mins and poof it leaves you with smooth soft skin.

HAHA I did this to my poor face three days ago and it caused a burn!! My face was incredibly red tight and super painful / uncomfortable!!!! And now it looks horrible, it's still super tight and it hurts to talk / smile.

If you do this, try it on a small portion of your face. I feel so ridiculously sad about my skin right now and I don't want anyone else to go through this. I cried in class the other day because of how bad it was.... how embarrassing! Skin problems are the worse!!!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2009 3:05:00 AM More reviews by 1stone

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I will use a little baking soda once in a great while mixed in with my shampoo, as it does remove product build up. Used infrequently it is a good thing, I cannot use it very often though, as then my already dry and coarse hair just becomes more so.

Using baking soda on a regular basis on the skin really wiill have a negative effect on the acid mantle, the natural barrier made up of oils on the surface of the skin. Baking soda is very alkaline. I am surprised that so many people like to use it as a scrub. Estheticians will use a baking soda and water solution as an all around basic neutralizer after applying a chemical peel. Chemical peels are acidic, the baking soda being alkaline brings up the PH of the skin.

A baking soda and water solution applied while the skin is being steamed will definitely help when it comes to blackhead extractions, it probably works just as well if not better than all those "fancy" lotions and potions out there, but using baking soda for extractions is something we should only do once in a while. Regular use of baking soda on the skin in the form of a scrub, well, I just don't know, I can't see it ever being a good thing at all. All these positive reviews befuddle me!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2009 5:35:00 AM More reviews by letsbedazzle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

For skin, baking soda is eh for me. Overall rating would be a two. I mean yeah, it gets it soft, but I also get red and sensitive and there are better ways for me to get the same result. But as shampoo, it gets a five. My hair doesn't produce a lot of oil at all, I seriously could get by without washing for a week without too many greasies, but baking soda is so effective and easy and inexpensive. I am prone to dryness in my hair, but in my daily shower I usually just scrub my scalp a bit with water, and apply some oil to the length when I get out. Twice a week or so I use a bit of baking soda (MAYBE a teaspoon for my armpit length thin hair) disolved in a cup or so of water, and pour it down the length. I make sure it's distributed, rinse, and finish it off with an acv rinse. My hair is so shiny and healthy. My wavy curls also come out much more with baking soda, as the moisturizing shampoos and conditioners I was using just weighed it down. I can't help but dig that there's no SLS or likewise chemicals, and also I can reduce consumption, as buying a 2 dollar box once or twice a year is much better than whatever shampoo company I'm supporting. I just recommend everyone at least give it a shot, as you probably have the baking soda and ACV already, you may end up loving it as I do!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2009 11:04:00 PM More reviews by aimeemw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As an addition to my cleanser or alone with a few drops of EVOO, I Love It! The exfoliation it provides is fantastic! If you have sensitive skin, be careful and try a test patch. Baking soda is basic/alkaline and very drying. This can cause breakouts and irritation for some. It will NOT, as some reviewers have said here, destroy the acid mantle of your skin. All cleansers/exfoliants, including baking soda, will alter the skin's pH, temporarily. If you are worried about this effect, mix the baking soda with a BHA or AHA cleanser. Also, you can apply an acidic toner (ACV toner is another great DIY skin treatment) after using baking soda. Make sure you rinse well, too. It leaves my skin smooth and glowing!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 2:04:00 AM More reviews by blushie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first used Baking Soda as a face exfoliant...which was a complete mistake. It irritated my skin and my face broke out in this bumpy red rash, that thankfully disappeared the next day. Now I use it mixed up with some sugar/salt and a bit of honey and water to scrub my legs to remove the dry skin that comes with winter. It's also great for cleaning too. Just don't try it on your face if you have sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2009 9:17:00 PM More reviews by celesteakabeaddict

I have used baking soda as an exfoliator (excellent), as a tooth paste (just add a little salt and voila), and as a shampoo. It really cleaned my scalp well and my hair was squeaky clean, but my hair became dry and as unmanageable as straight thin hair can be. I won't use it as a shampoo anymore, but for everything else - yes! Also works great as a bathroom cleanser, dish scrub, laundry whitener, and I am sure there are lots of other uses that I haven't thought or heard of... yet. ~Ώτ