July 24, 2014 | 1815 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2013 3:55:00 AM More reviews by HaveMercyJessie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I wouldn't buy again. It felt great on my skin when I first applied it, but I felt as the night went on my skin would begin to feel greasy! So if your using it with a matte primer it may work better for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by ohtanya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think it's trendy to hate on this foundation. That or people just don't know how to apply foundation. I have problem skin, acne scars, dry patches, the works. This foundation applied with a beautyblender is perfection. It covers very well, I don't have weird dry or overly oily patches a few hours after wear like most other foundations, and the lasting power is amazing.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by lovetoshop31

I LOVE this foundation. HD foundation is amazing for photographs and any sort of light you are going to be in - it will NOT wash you out or make you look all pasty like most foundations (most with SPF). This foundation glides on really nicely (I use a Beauty Blender sponge) and is totally buildable. I prefer full coverage and usually just build on top of t he first layer a little bit in areas I prefer full coverage. The nice thing about this foundation is that with it being as buildable as it is you can apply as little or as much as you want ( a little goes a LONG way)! You don't have to have it thick all over or super thin all over. The HD, like I said, is great and looks amazing under any photography/lights. I plan to have my makeup artist use this foundation for my wedding next Spring I love it THAT much. My skin is combo and I don't get oily or flaky at all throughout the day. I would suggest pairing this with Makeup Forever HD setting powder - it, too, is amazing stuff!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by rec1183

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have very mixed feelings about this foundation. I first tried it about 3 years ago when I had a lot of breakouts and old acne scars, and it was just mehhh. It didn't cover anything and seemed to accentuate my already oily skin even though I was told by the MUA at Sephora that it was good for all skin types. I stuck with it, and finished it but I didn't re-purchase. Fast-forward to present day, I decided to give it another try now that my skin is relatively clear. It applies nicely with the ELF flat-top powder brush, the Real Techniques Buffing brush, and the Real Techniques Stippling brush. I would say the coverage is light to medium, definitely not a full coverage. I normally set it with the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural, MAC Studio Fix powder, Makeup For Ever Duo Mat powder (now discontinued), or the Makeup For Ever Pro Finish powder. It looks very beautiful when you first apply it but it's a slick oily mess after about 3-4 hours of wear on my oily skin. I have tried using it with several primers, setting sprays, and even Milk of Magnesia but none worked. As for looking good in pictures- LIES! I wore this foundation for my big birthday celebration and it looked horrible in all my birthday pictures......big mistake! I looked super oily and glowy (in a bad way) in all the pictures even though I was blotting my face the entire time :( I suppose that's "HD" for ya!

However, I do have to say that they do have a very good color range, especially for women of color like myself. I'm an NC50 in MAC foundations and #178 matches me perfectly in this one. It comes with a pump so you're not having to pour it out or waste product, that's a plus. I can't really tell if the bottle is glass or some kind of plastic but it's very sturdy. The cap fits nicely on top of it, I've traveled with it and it didn't come off. If you have oily skin, I would advise that you stay away from this foundation unless you're only planning on wearing it for a short amount of time. Also, do not purchase if you don't have "perfect" skin, it does not cover severe scarring (you'll need a concealer), and it will accentuate any raised bumps you may have on your face.

I don't think I'll re-purchase after I'm done with my current bottle. I only use it when I'm not going to be out for a long time, and no pictures please! And for $42, I expect my foundation to be close to perfect. I think it's better suited for people with dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2013 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Lauren123654

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have just finished using all of the foundation and I really love it. I bought this at the end of December and finished it at the end of June, so it lasted me exactly 6 months. I use one and a half pumps each time I use this product, and I use either the E.L.F Powder Brush or my Beauty Blender, both of them work really well, but I would recommend the Beauty Blender for more of a full coverage natural look. I have a lot of redness around my nose and also the at the bottom of my cheeks stopping at my jawline. I find that this foundation really evens out my skin tone, but I still have to put a little more concealer near my nose.
The thing I don't like about this foundation is that in the winter my skin is a little more dry. If I am not wearing makeup you can't see the dryness, but when I put this on it emphasizes the flakey skin to make it look drier than it is. I do LOVE this foundation in the summer though, when I am a little bit more oily it just glides on and doesn't emphasize the flakes because they are probably not there anymore because I am oily. I am in the shade 120 soft sand, but that is more my summer shade, except I still used it in January when in was I little more pale. It blends into the skin very nicely so I found that if I blended it further down my neck it looked perfect. There is one problem I had with this foundation all year around, and that was that I didn't even put it ON my nose. I could still put it around, but when I put it on my nose it looked terrible. If you don't have any problems with your nose(blackheads, dry, flakey skin, big pores) then you should be able to put this on your skin without any problem.
Also when I started to run out I didn't have time to go to Sephora that week to pick up another one, so I decided to see how much was left in the bottle that the pump couldn't get out. I tipped it in a little container and got about 4-6 more uses. I will be repurchasing this unless I decide to use the Laura Mercier Silk Cream Foundation, but I am going to get a sample of that to try and then it will be between those two foundations. Overall I really liked it and I looked natural and stayed on long when I set it with a powder (maybe 9-10 hours).

My foundation routine:

Renée Rouleau Moisturizer
Neutrogena Suncreen SPF 55
Hard Candy Primer
MUFE HD Foundation in the shade 120 using the Beauty Blender
Benefit BOI-ING Concealer in 01 for blemishes
Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer for under the eyes
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder shade 004 Sandstorm

Then I finish my makeup and spray the Urban Decay De Slick Makeup Setting Spray 2-3 times all over my face, and my make up lasts 9-10 hours.

This foundation has no scents that I could smell.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2013 11:20:00 PM More reviews by shelbybigham

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is extremely over hyped.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After testing out several foundations to use for my wedding, I finally caved and got a couple of samples of this to test out. After doing extensive research to decide which would be better, it came down to this foundation and the Lancome 24hr. After reading all the hype on this foundation, I was thoroughly disappointed.

First off, it felt like it never dried. I live in a very arid climate, so I thought that was strange and incredibly annoying. It would move around (practically wipe off) when I tried to put contour and blush on. Oil control was non existent, even with a good setting powder and spray. Im not sensitive to smell but this stuff STINKS, and since it never really dries, the smell never really goes away. To add injury to insult, I broke out like CRAZY after testing it for 3 days. I am not acne prone whatsoever, and follow a strict skin care regimen. Im glad I did not shell out money for this, it took me 3 weeks to get my skin back to normal.

I threw out my samples and purchased the Lancome 24hr, which is amazing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by JGiacchetta

I bought this the other day and after only two days of wearing it, it made me break out in the worst way. It does last for a long time but it does become oily after many hours. I wouldn't suggest this if you're acne-prone.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 6:39:00 AM More reviews by jenzie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I first bought this foundation about 2 years ago but I really didn't like it. I didn't find that it had enough coverage and it came across quite watery. So for 2 years it's sat in my make up graveyard while I've been using E.L.D.W (until they changed the formula), Revlon Colorstay & Mac S.F.F. So yesterday I was having a clear out of my make up graveyard and I came across my HD foundation, so I thought I'll have 1 last go with it before it goes in the bin, and I'm soo glad I did!! It went on like a dream! I think I had issues with this foundation because I wasn't using the right tools, and I had very bad skin when I first bought it so the coverage wasn't enough at the time. But now the coverage was fantastic! The shade was the most dead on that I've ever come across for my very yellow NC15 skin. I bought it in the second lightest shade and it's perfect! I applied it using downward strokes with my real techniques expert face brush (my HG foundation brush!) and the result was amazing! Even if it is a year out of date, it may have made it better! So I've dug this little baby out of the make up graveyard and put it in my current make up bag! I'm so glad I gave it a second chance!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by itsjensayinghey

I bought two bottles of this foundation, and the only thing I can really say about it is.. Meh? Initially, I was in love with it. The way it applied, looked on my skin, and especially in pictures! However, I find on my combination skin, it has little to no oil control and I will be very shiny in my t-zone and cheeks relatively quickly. It has a solid medium coverage, and a wide selection of shades, but for a foundation of this price, I would expect for it to last longer and have more oil control. I realize now that there are far better options than this (MUFE Mat Velvet +, for example) for a similar price range. Also, you can't see how much product is being used through the glass so you don't really know when to repurchase until it's too late (and the pump isn't all that great either). I think it's a nice foundation, and probably great for more dry/very normal skin. But if you even get a tad oily, I would not recommend!