Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

First of all, when one reviews a product I think it's best to leave personal preference aside, and focus more on the product capability of doing what it's supposed to do. Having read a lot of the 1-2 lippies reviews of this product, I cant help but thinking 'that's not what it's supposed to do/it's not how you are supposed to use it'. I have used this product on many of my clients (with various skin types) with satisfying results. The key, as with ALL other foundations, is the skin preparation and application.

COLOR SELECTION
Basically, there's almost no way you cant find a match.

PACKAGING
Hygienic and the pump gives just about the right amount everytime. Despite the glass bottle, it isn't bulky or overly heavy.

SKIN TYPES
This foundation generally suits any skin types. We should understand that when a product is meant for several skin types, it doesn't mean it's a superior product, it simply means your makeup relies merely on your skin preparation instead.

If your skin is dry, prepare your skin with a hydrating serum and a really good moisturizer, letting it absorbed thoroughly before putting on makeup.
If your skin is oily, prepare your skin with an anti shine serum while KEEPING your skin moisturized.
If you have dry patches, exfoliate and moisturize! Moisturize moisturize moisturize!

Don't expect a product to be able to adjust to thousands of different skin conditions. This product WILL accentuate dry patches if you don't exfoliate and moisturize. If the patches are severe, ditch the brush and try using this with damp Beauty Blender Sponge.

COVERAGE
Being an HD foundation, this is the one that gives the most coverage. You cannot fairly compare it with, lets say, Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover or Mac Full Coverage Foundation, because those two are not HD foundations. This particular foundation can give you light to medium-full coverage, which is rare for an HD foundation.

- Light coverage: Dab with a damp Beauty Blender Sponge.
- Medium coverage: Stippling brush or Expert Face Brush.
- Medium to full coverage: You can use either flat foundation brush, or any other brush in multiple layers.

I like to work this in multiple THIN layers with an Expert Face Brush whenever I need more coverage, without resulting in any cakeyness. You get cakey from applying too much at once. Applying this in thin layers (letting each layer dry and set between applications) will show you the beauty of HD foundation: more coverage while remaining invisible.

FINISH
I'd say satin to matte, just the right finish for photography and videography (what it is for). Looks like skin, not airbrushed. Feels relatively light, sets pretty quickly, and doesn't always need powdering. However if you do powder, it pairs beautifully with the smallest amount of HD powder (unless you have oily skin, cause you're gonna need more powder). The most important thing is: it is truly INVISIBLE to naked eyes and cameras, as promised (as long as you apply it the right way).

STAYING POWER
Every skin's different. But dude, seriously, Skindinavia.

Will keep using and repurchasing. I'm NC15/20, and 117 or 120 matches me best.

on 12/12/2013 7:16:00 AM

To begin with, it is mandatory to mention that I have oily, acne prone skin and my skin tone is MAC C1. What impressed me was the color range as I immediately found the right shade. However, this foundation broke me out like crazy the very other day. If that was not enough, this foundation didn't show well at photos . Two hours after it got cakey and muddy. Definitely overrated make up

on 12/12/2013 7:05:00 AM

I did expect a flawless face after application. What intrigued me into buying this foundation was all the hype by others. I always take good care with my skin moisturising day and night and even exfoliating regularly. I applied this foundation with a beauty blender multiple times I used this product, however this foundation didn't work for me as it left my skin dry.

on 12/11/2013 1:38:00 AM

Full coverage doesn't dry my skin out only problem is tends to clog pores and cause break outs if I'm not diligent with skin care regiment and washing makeup off

on 12/8/2013 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation is nice.

It looks like skin even up close and photographs great!

It can cover up redness but if you suffer from alot of acne this is not the foundation for you!
I used this with the HD-primer,wich i also like.
Staying power did not cut it on it's own because of my extreem oily/combo skin.

I like the packaging,and how the foundation felt on my skin.
Not to heavy..would repurchase

on 12/7/2013 10:43:00 PM

This is a wonderful foundation to get a medium to full coverage. First, I am an acne-prone skin type, and this does not make me break out. It covers the redness, does not cake or clump, and leaves an even tone. A little concealer on top of rather red pimples or marks achieves the "blank canvas" we all crave - before we start our contouring process for added color and definition. The pump container is essential to me; sanitary containers make me feel secure that I am not adding more bacteria to my skin with each use (this is not to be overlooked.) While some reviewers found it worsened acne, everyone unfortunately is different (and even I have a cousin this product did not work for.) That being said, it is worth a shot and popular for a reason. Most people (and most of my friends) find this product to do exactly what is intended, for a reasonable price in the higher-end makeup arena. If you have sensitive skin, acne-prone skin, oily skin: no foundation will work for you if your skincare regime has not been sorted out and under control. I found the Eminence line to work wonders for my acne; investing in your specific skin care routine is the only way to ultimately let a foundation make you shine - and this one will most likely make you feel beautiful when used as part of your skincare/makeup tools. If purchased from Sephora, you can always return the product if it does not work for (though I doubt it will be the case!)

This used to be my holy grail of foundations. I wore it every day for a year. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Until I ventured off and started trying other foundations.

What I really loved about this foundation is how flawless it looked on the skin. However, I do think you have to have pretty good skin to wear this. Which I used to have, until I hit 22 and started suffering from hormonal breakouts. Once that happened this foundation just didn't cut it for me anymore. I would say the coverage of this foundation is light to medium.

This foundation looks absolutely flawless in pictures. Whenever I wore this foundation I always got compliments on how great my skin looked. I even had a girl working at chipotle ask me what makeup I was wearing and me it looked "really flawless." I always set this foundation with with bare minerals matte foundation or make up for ever duo mat. Which always gave me more coverage and most importantly the coverage I felt I needed.

For a long time I wore the wrong shade, a shade that was too light. I'm an NC25 and I wore 120. It was very yellow based, which was perfect for my undertones, but definitely too light. I recently tried 118 and 125 and those two colors seemed to be a really good match. Probably 118 in the winter and 125 in the summer. The way they number their shades is really off, because 118 is definitely darker than 120.

I usually applied this foundation with my fingers. I used this foundation before I really got into using brushes. So I can't really say how it would look with a brush or sponge. But I was always happy with the way it looked applied with my fingers.

I wouldn't recommend this for people with oily skin. My skin started changing when I hit 22. I found my face had changed from normal to combination oily. And once that happened the lasting power of this foundation wasn't that great. It seemed to sort if slip off in my oilier areas.

Overall I think it's a really great foundation for people with little to no problems with their skin. I also think it's great for people with normal to dry skin. You would definitely need to set it with a matte powder if you have oily skin. It's great for photography or on screen. I wish this foundation still worked for me. Once my skin has cleared a little bit of the acne scarring and I don't need a full coverage foundation, I can definitely see myself coming back to this.

on 12/7/2013 2:58:00 PM

This foundation works really well for my combination skin. It may get a little shiny at the t-zone, but it's nothing a mattifying powder can't solve!

I have few blemishes and these cover it up well, dap with some concealer and it's perfect! I'm so glad i found this foundation, and totally should have gotten this earlier.

I use only a pump or less on my face and it blends well into my skin, will repurchase!

on 12/4/2013 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This product is loved by most but hated by me. I think it's an oily skin girls nightmare. It won't ever set it'll just stay wet on your skin even after powder and it will come right off onto your phone shirt anything! It has very poor coverage and is too expensive for what it is. Dry/ normal skin girls who just want to be evened out go for it, otherwise don't bother.

on 12/4/2013 9:14:00 PM

HORROR OF HORRORS!!! and NO, I'm not exaggerating!!! I would take a pic of my face and put it on here now, but it would most likely traumatize the most emotionally stable person out there!
I bought this foundation back 2 months ago after doing research for a GOOD FULL coverage foundation. I have struggled with terrible acne and rosacea since about 25 years of age (had a flawless complexion until then). I had finally gotten my acne under control and treating the horrible disfiguring rolling acne scars that were left behind. I had single breakout in an ENTIRE YEAR!! I was also not using any makeup other than some tea tree concealer by The Body Shop to cover some of the red scars still left behind. I don't know why I got it in my head that I needed to buy foundation but somehow the reviews on Sephora all seemed to beckon to me that MUFE HD foundation was my miracle answer.
WRONG.
I found the perfect color for my skin but it was slowly drying out my skin every time I used it. I used the Redness neutrilizing primer and the finishing powder as well. UGH. no matter how light a hand i used the makeup looked cakey and fake after a few hours, I"m the kind of girl that likes a natural look, so I was most def not pleased with this cakey face look.
THE WORST PART?? It gave me cystic acne under my skin (the ones that take forever to go away) as well as little whiteheads and blackheads all over my left cheek and near my nose!!! I knew it was the foundation because it was the ONLY thing I changed in my routine. I"m STILL trying to calm my skin from this awful decision I made. OH..AND I didn't breakout right away...it took about a month before my skin got so congested I just started having big pimples. It also brought my rosacea which had been in remission for a few years back on full force.
HATE HATE HATE this product. DO NOT BUY!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials