April 18, 2014 | 1442 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3.6(2086 reviews)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 6:06:00 AM More reviews by JanuaryGurl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews on this HG foundation and coming to the end of my MAC Studio Sculpt foundation, I decided to visit my nearest MUFE stockist in London to get a colour match and some samples before trying out the full size.
Colour matching took a good 30 mins as there is such a range and the MUA had me standing outside in the natural light too, so as to get the perfect colour match!
I am an NC42 and my best bet was the 153 or the 128. Both were a good match with the 128 being slightly darker but drying to quite a nice match-up.
I took both samples for £1 each which is a great and cheap way to avoid mistakes. Along with my foundation samples, I took some samples of the primer in neutral and an uplighter and a cream waterproof concealer in No 7 all for £1 each.
My only full-size purchases were the HD loose powder and two lip liners.

On to the foundation. After some deliberation, the 153 is the better of the two and is a perfect match as this dries more to match my own natural shade which has more yellow tones. 128 was darker and gave a different hue to my skin, more reddish tones, so I ditched the sample. You can only work this out by trial and error over a few days as these foundations dry and develop to show their true colour, so getting samples is ideal.
I have tried this foundation over two primers, the MUFE neutral primer and over my usual Smash Box primer.

Results
The only way to use this foundation contrary to what most reviewers say on these reviews, is with your clean fingers. You can work quickly and without wasting product on germ-harbouring sponges and brushes. The pump is excellent and dispenses the right amount, you can always add more.
Make sure your skin is exfoliated, moisturised and primed as this sticks to any dry skin flakes. I start off with a small pump into the palm of my hand and work it into a creamy consistency as it is too runny otherwise, then with my fingers apply to my face, working quickly and adding more if I need to build up coverage. Quick, circular movements work best as this product dries fairly quickly.
The finish is semi-matte so if you're like me and like the dewy look, you will need highlighters or MAC lustre drops to get some sheen. The true colour develops within the first 20 mins and as the day wears on, my skin looked better, less 'done' as it blends with your own oils. Coverage of imperfections is medium and you will still need concealer if you have melasma or acne scars. I used Becca blushers with this, cream and powder and both work well. The HD loose powder sets the foundation on oily areas perfectly without creating that chalky, ashy finish that my MAC Blot powder gave. Will def stick with this combo.
On the subject of primers, I tried with the MUFE primer which was excellent but I found quite drying as the day wore on. Alcohol content? Not sure as it was a sample. However the staying power for the makeup that follows is phenomenal and my makeup was still on one Spin Class and Abs Attack class later.
I will however, be sticking with my Smash Box and Body shop primers as I like the creamier base it gives especially with such a fast-drying foundation.
On the whole, I find the MUFE foundation excellent and have since ordered the full size when to my horror they told me that they were out of no 153 as it is one of their most popular shades! Luckily for me the MUA I had seen on my visit pulled out all the stops and got her hands on one that a customer hadn't called in to collect after a while! Their service is so professional and unbiased that switching from my MAC foundation to a completely different brand was a smooth and pleasant transition.

The fact that this foundation has no SPF content has made a big difference to my skin and there is no longer that slight ashy tone in natural light. That was the only problem with the MAC studio sculpt, the SPF tends to go off after a while and you have to throw the foundation away, as I now realise why half way into my MAC tube my foundation would no longer give me the same flawless look without ashy undertones.

Yes, it's expensive, but if you use clean fingers you won't waste so much product on sponges and brushes.

I definitely recommend this foundation for anyone who has normal/combo skin who is looking for medium to full coverage.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2013 8:39:00 PM More reviews by nattiekins05

Despite the hype, Iím still not overly impressed by the foundation. I guess that is more to say that it didnít live up to the hype, but it is a good, solid foundation and Iíd recommend to anyone looking for a semi-matte, medium-coverage, liquid foundation. (Particularly if you dislike or canít tolerate MAC foundations.) The finish on this is nearly matte, but it seems just a touch dewy (thatís probably the ďsoft focusĒ and high definition coming into play). It gives medium coverage without much product, and you can layer it as necessary to get fulle coverage if you need it. You can always sheer it out by spritzing your brush or sponge with water, too. I have tried both methods, depending upon how clear my skin happens to be, They both work well, and are dependable.

I think the most impressive part of Make Up For Everís HD Foundation is that is photographs extremely well. It does make skin look better than it actually is. HD does a good job of lasting all day, and I feel like I donít get that oily-at-the-end-of-the-day feeling so much when I use this compared to some other foundations Iíve used. While it is a medium to full coverage foundation, it feels lightweight. It actually feels fairly weightless to me, but Iím a lot more used to foundation, too, so Iím going to stick with lightweight as the descripton.

The packaging is great, since they provide you with a foundation pump. I find that I dispense one and half to two pumps on the back of my hand, and then I use MACís 109 brush (spritzed first with water) to apply it to my face. This seems to give me the best results, and it is the technique I used most freequently. The reason I like pump dispensers is you can figure out exactly how much you need through trial and error, and then you just use that much consistently. Without a pump, it just involves a bit more eyeballing!

Overall, this is a very solid foundation that has one drawback- the price,. It is $42.00, which is about right for a high end foundation, but is still rather pricey. Sephora will give you some samples to take home and try, which i strongly recomend before paying the $42. The lighting is always different in the store, so take it home and try it out. Some believe it's worth the price, however I am not sure I do. I may purchase this again down the road, it's a toss up!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by aggrolounge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ideally I would give this product a 2.5. It's...slightly worse than ok.

Pros:
-GREAT color selection. There are a few gaps in the medium skintones, but there are tons of selections overall.
-Good coverage. For being so lightweight, this covers a lot!

Cons:
-Very short wear time. When it does wear off, it does so in a patchy manner, not an even fade.
-Does not control oil at all. I found myself needing to blot after 2 hours, and I am by no means the oiliest person.
-Not very forgiving with texture issues of any kind. If you want to wear this foundation and you have flakiness, large pores, peach fuzz, etc, make sure you use plenty of silicone-based primer.

I definitely think there are much better foundations at this price point! This product is really pretty when first applied on most skin types, so I don't doubt that it would be ideal for photos or something. I just don't think this is a very good every day foundation. Understandable, since I don't think that's what it was formulated for! I would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by lusox33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have used up 3 bottles already. Amazing foundation, medium/full coverage, semi-matte finish, long lasting!! Looks very natural on the skin. I adore ittt!! I cannot wait to buy it againnnn

My skin: Combo with more dry patches than "normal" patches, and of course the good ol' t zone. I use this with Benefit's POREFessional primer, and set with either Mac's Blot powder, L'oreal True Match powder, or any loose translucent powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by madunswo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great foundation - I don't think I'd describe it as a miracle product or anything, but it still deserves merit. I have dry-normal sensitive and pale skin with pink undertones and I wear it in 115 (I'm a NC15/NW13 in MAC). It gives a relatively natural-looking finish and covers all that I want it too (I have moderate redness, even tone and the occasional breakout and acne scar).I would consider the foundation to have medium buildable coverage. I need only one pump to cover my face and the bottle lasts a long time. It also wears all day, continuing to look good the entire time.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by RedWineGirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, ladies. I'm a woman of a certain age; ok, 50! My skin has always been dry and trying to find a moisturizing foundation for my two-toned brown skin was an adventure in itself. That said, I went to Sephora and told the very handsome young makeup artist my challenges and went to this product. The color is right, I don't need a concealer and my face has that even-toned, soft, dewy feel and finish that makes me look young and fresh. It's oil free but my face is not tight at all. I highly recommend anyone w/dry skin to try this product. If you tried this and it didn't work then you just have the wrong foundation; take it back to Sephora; they'll gladly exchange it for you for the right product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by LizLaurenW

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to really love this foundation with how great it is reviewed by so many people o watch on you tube. The coverage was average, it is build able but for me i have a lot of freckles so to cover them it starts to look cakey. The worst part it the OIL! I am oily with a few dry spots, when i would put on the foundation it started off ok, but then in about an hour i looked like an oil slick, it would take 3 blotting sheets to get rid of all the oil. I think it would work pretty good for someone with not much to cover and who is dry.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by shutupputo

i wanted to love this foundation SO BAD ): I'm NC25 MAC i picked up MUFE in 120 soft sand the color matched me perfectly but after using it for only 5 days it dried out my skin horribly! all my life I've had normal skin i would get little blemishes here & there but after using this product my skin got super dry i had to do some intense treatment. i tried to cover it up when i went to work but I'd just look cakey NOT CUTE AT ALL. I've used countless foundations from high end to store brands none have EVER irritated my skin like this did ): ugh I'll keep searching for my HG. good luck to anybody trying MUFE HD hope it works for you

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 8:18:00 AM More reviews by eMruss20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this foundation! I got it colour matched and I have one for winter and one for summer. Looks great in photos too! I've tried dozens of foundations and this one works best for me!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2013 6:32:00 AM More reviews by Britta8988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not going to lie I really wish this foundation worked for me, after a failed attempt at trying out urban decays naked skin liquid foundation I went on to try this one because of all the "hoopla" about it. One good thing about this foundation is that there really is a shade for every single skin tone. But it was way too sheer for me, one layer is basically like putting on a tinted moisturizer and I like to have at least medium coverage and once I tried to put the second layer on, it started to feel a bit heavy and the worst part was that it has no staying power, doesn't last long on your face at all even with high quality primers and setting powders, but the worst part was that it caused me to break out even in places that I never do!!