November 27, 2014 | 1458 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2007 8:47:00 PM More reviews by IIsujinII

i love this foundation! i've tried SO many different foundations.. laura mercier, bobbi brown, prescriptives, mac, smashbox, you name it, nothing holds up to this. this foundation makes my my usually oily, porey skin look flawless. it did take me awhile to figure out the best way to apply it though. it was streaky with my foundation brush, too dry and cakey with even a wet sponge. but i stipple it on quickly with my mac187 and it looks amazing. i rarely have to touch up throughout the day and the coverage is wonderful. i love it =).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2007 11:34:00 PM More reviews by secreteuphony

Pros: SPF, coverage, staying power, great packaging
Cons: not for dry skin, a bit cakey, poor color options

This is horrible for dry skin, I returned it the next day. It's a great option for greasy girls though because it has awesome staying power, def. won't slip or slide. The packing is awesome, you never double dip which keeps zits at bay.

I'd say the great ratings are from oily skin types, if you're a dry girl, stay away! I recommend dual balancing instead.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2007 1:49:00 PM More reviews by justwishin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HG without a doubt! If you are looking for a high SPF foundation with good coverage, yet a natural and long-lasting finish, look no further!

I've used this for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier. I apply it over a gel moisturizer that has a tiny bit of slip. The foundation just glides over it and it covers enough that I don't need any concealer (even under the eyes!). Yet it looks like my own skin. It wears all day and doesn't cause breakouts on my combo skin. I am constantly getting compliments on my "great skin" since buying this. It really does make me look radiant and natural, but without shine. Women even ask me what I use to get such great skin. Um...it's makeup! :) I can remove this thoroughly with a fairly strong foaming cleanser...no need for a separate remover or oil-based cleanser, and I don't even use a washcloth. When I tone, there is never any residue left over on the cotton ball, so in my opinion this stuff is not TOO stubborn.

I love that it protects my skin from the harsh sun with strong UVA/UVB mineral sunblocks. I've searched and searched for a cheaper alternative, but I have come to the conclusion that nothing is even half as good as this stuff. If you can find it in your color, buy it!

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2007 4:16:00 PM More reviews by makeupqueen26

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really love this foundation. Agree with all the great reviews on this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2007 2:29:00 PM More reviews by MN48225

I have really oily skin so this foundation works to keep my skin from looking greasy. The high spf is also an added bonus because I'm prone to getting freckles. The foundation is really waterproof even after sweating and being in the water. I think the cause of acne would probably be from not washing the foundation completely off before bed. I'd definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2007 10:26:00 AM More reviews by girlingoldboots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have found my new HG foundation in this product. I spend lots of time in the sun, so naturally the high SPF is a plus, but the color (I got SP60) matches my skin perfectly. It has amazing staying power, as it lasted through swimming and jogging. I love the fact that it comes in a convenient plastic bottle with a nozzle on the end so you can get out as much as you need without having to make a mess. Yes, it is pricey, but so are all department store products. If you can find one that truly works, it's worth it! I have not had any problems with breakouts so far, and I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2007 2:10:00 PM More reviews by 800256

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this product!! I bought this along with the Sun protection SPF 55 lotion. I got this in the shade SPF 10 which is the lightest and it is a perfect match. I apply with Pout's Airbrush and it goes on smooth and evenly, no cakey or thick feeling to it.It gives me a nice meduim coverage. It's a scorcher here in CA right now and it stood up to water/sweat test when having a water ballon fight with my nieces and nephews. It is expensive but I cannot find a foundation at the d/s that offers this high SPF 42 and good coverage. It sell's for $31 for 1 oz and I purchased mine at Macy's and since I bought to 2 products I received a free beach tote, a nice white summer hat, and 2 free samples of the following (one of each):SPF 32 eye cream and a bronzing gel. So far no breakouts or allergic reaction to it. If you are looking for a liquid foundation with a high SPF, that goes on smooth and does not feel cakey or thick, and is water/sweat resistant this is it!!! liquid foundation that defends against powerful UVA/UVB rays as it provides a flawless makeup finish with full coverage. Resists perspiration, water and oil to maintain a soft matte look on skin, even during outdoor activities. Unites optimal sun protection with skin-caring makeup. Glides on smoothly and evenly; feels non-sticky and feather-light. Contains Thiotaurine, an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals. Very water-resistant.
Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundatio

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/18/2007 1:59:00 PM More reviews by kerroppifreak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

offered good coverage with high spf. However, it ended up breaking me out and was a little hard to blend in. that's why I'm giving it the low rating. However, if it doesn't break you out, I would recommend it due to its benefits and great coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2007 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Exotichris

I like this foundation very much.
I like the high SPF on it. Is is very water resistant as it says, and non-transfer once is dry.
The poor selection of shades is the only problem, as for the price I this justifiable due to the good quality of the product itself.
Good coverage too!!
Will repurchase. $30USD.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2007 6:29:00 AM More reviews by masaya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

*Swatches included, click continue to view*

I planned to buy the compact but I tried this out at the counter. I've been using this line's sunscreen for over a year and it's my HG. With that experience in mind, I decided to take a plunge on this product.

Packaging: It's looks the same as my sunscreen, only smaller. Very plain- and cheap-looking plastic container. However after using it a few times, I realized the purpose of the bottle's design. The tip is small so I can control the amount of foundation I have to squeeze out. Better than a pump bottle.

Price: $31. Kind of expensive. Their sunscreen is expensive so I kinda understand their price range.

Color range: Very limited, which is the reason I'm taking a lippie out. It goes from SP10 to SP60. I was afraid I might turn orangy or too yellow if I choose the wrong color. I ended up with SP20 with SP30 powder. It looks very close to my skintone, even without the powder. One time I put too much powder one day and I turned out too yellow. Doesn't change color by the end of the day.

Finish: Matte! I used to put on sunscreen before primer but now I can skip that! Not really easy, but not too hard to blend. Evens out my skin nicely. There are days when I don't have to blot my usual very oily face (I blot like every two-four hours when using Everyday Minerals in semi-matte). Stays decently long enough.

It's greatly helpful to use a cleansing oil afterwards. This has a very high spf and is hard to get rid of without the cleansing oil. My face feels clogged up if I just using a regular cleanser.

Reasons I will be repurchasing this are: good for my oily skin, matte, and has high spf! Must have for summer!

EDIT: Reread other reviews. It appears that ppl in the same range as me, NC25-30, are using Sp40-60 which has more yellow it it(?). Though SP20 looked most natural on me, not too yellow not too orangy not too pink. I hope MAC SA was wrong cos I'll surely be returning my unopened studio fix today.
EDIT (06/29): I rarely use this cos I have EM and this line's compact powder as it's easier to apply. I lost (or it got stolen) the compact powder and I'm breaking out like crazy so I'm wearign it everyday! I skipped blotting one day and was able to get away with one blotting the other day. The tip where it dispenses the product can get messy. I don't take out the full amount needed, but just one drop per area I'm trying to cover. I ran out of cleansing oil, and it's really hard to take off with Alpha Hydrox cleanser! Had to use another beauty bar soap to get it squeeky clean.
NOTE (12/22): I haven't used this in months because I tanned. Nevertheless, Color match is difficult. People with the same coloring in other foundations seem to have a mix of match in this foundation. I read too many reviews, and I also checked the users' shades (by reading their reviews) in other foundations that I also use. It's too mixed and confusing, that I want to double check again (4th time IIRC) by getting samples of other shade. This foundation doesn't go from darkest to lightest, though the SAs who have matched me seem to choose the color by basing the shades on that way of thinking (SP10-lightest, SP70-darkest). True but the colors in between, colors I have to choose from have a more complicated difference other than "lightness" and "darkness". The color of this liquid when dispensed is definitely darker than when it is blended to the skin, same thing goes with the powder (dark and ORANGE-y on pan, but lighter on skin). I'll edit this again when I get a final verdict on this product. I still use SP20, with my LP.

UPDATE (04/20/08): Please pardon my first entry on this review, I was a newbie and didn't know much. But after too many testings, I've figured out that SP50 is perfect for my NC30 skin. I can still get away with SP40, which is a bit lighter (if I want to look just a bit lighter). I exchanged my SP20 liquid for SP50. It was too light, I almost never touched it. The compact and liquid have the same colors, so these compact swatches are applicable. Hope this helps and save someone the trouble I went through. Goodluck! This foundation is so worth all the hassle.

Liquid foundation on hand (NC25ish), which is much lighter than my face:

Here are the following swatches of compact foundations on tissue:

continued >>