November 26, 2014 | 1693 users online

Moisturizers - Garnier - Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2011 2:52:00 AM More reviews by dearlydamaged

I read the dazzling reviews on this and really, really wanted it to work for me. However... it just doesn't. I won't denounce the product because I think it's just a matter of how it interacts with MY skin. I don't know if it's the high denatured alcohol content or what... but this stuff broke me out TERRIBLY! My skin usually plays well with gel moisturizers. I previously used Alba's aloe & green tea moisturizer with fabulous results - it was just a little too expensive for my broke college kid budget. So I made the switch to this, and after the awful, painful, cystic breakout and outrageous redness this has given me I have a feeling I'll be switching right back. I'm actually really upset this doesn't work for me.

I've given it a fair chance. I thought maybe this was just my skin adjusting to it, but it has progressively worsened the longer I've kept using it. I have to stop now. The smell is wonderful and fresh, kind of like apples or grapes. It's cool, smooth, light and definitely refreshing on the skin. The packaging... I'm in love! Unfortunately for me, though, it breaks me out miserably and after a short time wearing it, I turn into a big, shiny grease slick. Siiiigh.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by SarahMcD

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Gave this a try because my skin is sensitive to SPF, so I prefer moisturizers without them, and because it's been such a hot, humid summer that I thought a gel-cream might be a suitable product. Got it on sale at Target, with a coupon, so the price really couldn't be beat.

Smell is interesting - much less fruity than most Garnier, it reminds me of hair product; given the texture of this, it sometimes makes me do a double-take to make sure I'm not actually applying hair gel to my face.

Unfortunately, this is not moisturizing enough for my dry (even in summer) skin. It does feel refreshing going on, and absorbs well, forming a nice base for makeup. However, it also has a bit of a tight feeling, and ultimately my makeup flakes off because the underlying skin is dry.

As a sidenote, my husband (with very average, not dry but not oily skin) uses it occasionally and seems to like it, so considering how cheap it is, it might be worth a try if you don't have dry, dry skin like I do.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by mandy117

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this on sale at Target with a coupon, so first of all, you can't beat the price. It's a great moisturizer, but I think I'm going to have to use it at night because it takes a while to absorb. It also smells vaguely of alcohol, but it doesn't have the drying effects of alcohol. I've finally found a Garnier product that works!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 9:38:00 PM More reviews by sarahlovesmakeup101

I really like this product! It moisturizes my skin so well and it doesnt feel greasy or sticky. I don't really like the packaging, i would prefer a pump or squeeze tube but i can live with it. I also think is the smell is really nice too. Overall i would totally buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2011 8:31:00 PM More reviews by missmadisonave

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i really like this stuff! first of all, it's summer, and my dry skin isn't nearly as bad as winter, so it's probably just a summer product for me. and i do need to supplement it sometimes, especially if i've done a facial mask that night. but it's very light and refreshing, has a pleasant scent and doesn't feel sticky afterwards...it also smells good. would repurchase. i'm not blown away, but i do quite like it.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2011 2:27:00 PM More reviews by beautyinme

I bought this product after hearing and reading about how great it is. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I have dry skin and random dry patches on my face. It's supposed to moisturize my face, but it did absolutely nothing. In fact, it made my skin feel tight and dry. The smell was decent and the packaging is nice, but the fact that it does absolutely nothing for my dry skin convinces me to never buy this product again. I'm not sure if this will work better for oily skin, but it makes my dry skin drier than it should be. Now it's just sitting in my cabinet.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2011 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Casexyb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I went looking for this product and found it at CVS. For a drugstore product, it worked good for my skin during the winter months. I liked the gel consistency. There is a slight fragrance that to me is not too overpowering. I used this moisterizer under a facial primer and makeup. I have combination skin so this product did not leave my face looking greasy or dry.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/16/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by EL2016

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product made my face sting for a few minutes after I used it, and continued to cause my face to be dry. It was dry to the point of peeling all around my mouth and the tops of my cheekbones. It was really painful at times. I thought my face was just going through a bad stint of dry skin, but when I stopped using it, my face went back to normal. This product did the opposite of what it would.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2011 7:23:00 PM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

While this product may provide enough moisture to the skin without leaving it feeling greasy, the high amount of denatured alcohol, which is said to promote free radical damage and the breakdown of collagen, irritates the skin on my cheeks. With that being said, my skin is nice and matte and the cream smells like apples. I personally don't think moisturizers should be packaged in jars, as any inclusion of antioxidants may be destroyed from their exposure to the air.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 11:28:00 PM More reviews by carolmuncy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I use this SO much. Especially in the summer. It keeps me moisturized but doesn't get that nasty gunky feel when I sweat. In the winter I wear it over my moisturizer to keep everything locked it. Smells great too.