April 16, 2014 | 1925 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sigma - F80 Flat Top Synthetic Kabuki (was SS197)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by lovewhite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been the owner of this INCREDIBLE brush for a few months now and it is THE best brush i have came across!!! i own other sigma brushes but have not fell in love with them. This brush on the other hand is so soft to touch, blends perfectly, this is one everyone should at least try im already planning on getting a second brush for backup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

So far I love this brush! Its nice and soft and applies my foundation so evenly and beautifully. I haven't had any problems washing it, or with it shedding YET, but if something does happen, I'll post an update.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2011 3:51:00 AM More reviews by UmmMaymoonah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is an amazing brush, so soft, dense and distributes the product evenly on the face. I use this with foundation and sometimes with powder if I want a heavier hand. With the flat top brushes the powder products with be distributed heavier then with a round top so for those of you who like heavier coverage this is the brush to get. I would definitly repurchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by georgiasweety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE this brush! The quality is amazing. It has super soft bristles and a nice thick handle. The bristles are very dense so it has thickness to it- to blend & buff liquid & powder products. I swore by my fingers to apply foundation before I tried this brush. I refuse to by expensive brushes name brand brushes ($30& up) for foundation when I can use my fingers with great results. This $16 brush has changed my mind about finger application. It's so nice not to have any mess on my fingers. This brush blends well enough that I dont have to go behind the brush application and blend with my fingers- the brush does it all!. A little goes a long way, and the size & length of the bristles are just fantastic. It's synthetic so no weird animal smell when you wash it. Not only are Sigma brushes amazingly priced their customer service is top notch. I ordered on a Friday night, and Monday I received my order. It came with 4 different brochures about their products, a beautiful sheer red draw string bag, and a free travel size makeup brush. That is super fast processing & shipping (regular priority mail) and just the fact I got a free brush when I only ordered 3 items. I love the brochures, and am glad they included them. This company will go far!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 7:46:00 AM More reviews by ab3rni3r

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use to put my foundation on by applying it with my fingures. But now, it is bye bye fingures. My foundation application has something better. This brush is amazing for applying liquid foundation. I have never tried any of the MAC brushes. All I have are Sigma brushes and they are all fantasticly great and you can't beat the price. I will never stray!!! Thanks Sigma for creating these awsome brushes!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 5:38:00 AM More reviews by DivaEx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

All three Sigma Hi-Def Brushes are totally amazing! I use this flat top kabuki brush for applying my Powder Foundations and bronzer for contouring around my temples and cheeks. They're all just so dense yet so ridiculously soft! Powder applies perfectly buffed and smooth in seconds - with minimal effort and without dragging my skin! Bronzers buff in seconds and precisely where I need to apply it along the bottom of my cheekbones and around my temples. A MUA recommended this type of flat top brush to produce a slightly more defined area to contour on the underside of the cheekbones thereby bringing out your cheekbones. I love this brush! The only downside is cleaning them - you need to take a day off to wash them out and another day off to get them to dry!!! I actually lightly blow-dry them first then apply my Brush Guards over them and place them by a fan overnight. Small price to pay considering how many brushes I went through to find these little beauties!!! I loved these brushes so much I purchased 3 sets! I use them to apply moisturiser, primer, foundation, blush, powder and bronzer in a multitude of formulations from liquids through creams to powders. They work beautifully with all mediums to give a lovely smooth and buffed complexion with very little effort.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2011 8:44:00 AM More reviews by bublebulle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

** Edit November 2013 **
Well, this makes two F80 brushes that fell apart and the last one which remains sheds. :-(
I think this is a good brush that delivers great results but it is overpriced considering it doesn't last more than 2 years or so...! My Ecotools and Real Techniques brushes which are much cheaper are still going strong with daily uses and washes! So no, I won't be buying other F80s to replace the ones that fell appart and I don't recommend it to others anymore.

I've found that the Real Techniques Expert Face brush works wonderfully and it's sooooo much cheaper. Total bargain for fantastic results!
__________________________________

** Edit February 16th, 2012 **
After only a year of use, one my F80 out of the two that I bought litterally lost its hair all at once! I've noticed a few hairs shedding the days before but I was really shocked when all the bristles separated from the ferrule while I was washing it. I'd like to insist on the fact that I really am a brush lover and collector (I own 120+, mostly high end), so I perfectly know how to wash and take care of my tools properly (I don't let water run into the ferrule and I always hold the heads down when I wash them. During the drying process, the little brushes are layed down with their heads free in the air on a towel whereas the big ones (especially my Sigmax face brushes since they are so dense) are being hanged upside down). I have brushes for 5 years that I've used and washed on a daily basis - like I do for my F80s - that still look and perform like new, so the problem is not the maintenance but the not-so-good quality of the tool itself. I removed a lippie to the review for this reason because if Sigma claims their products to be equivalent to MAC quality for a much affordable price, this SHOULD'NT happen! Their costumer service is great though since they kindly sent me a replacement brush. I now have to use it and wait to see if this problem ever happens again. Maybe I had a tool from a bad batch? If nothing occurs, I'll put the 5 lippies back since it performs great and I still love it; if not, then I'll have to admit that the Sigma products are not as good as they claim to be.
__________________________________

** Former review **

I used to apply my foundation with a Beauty Blender, but this is not the most convenient tool for every day - I now keep it for occasional uses. So I was on the hunt for THE perfect foundation brush. I tried MAC 190, 187, Louise Young LY02 and LY34 - all are good but were missing that little something that would tell me "this is it!".

I think that with the Sigma F80, I've finally found what I wanted.

To be honest, I didn't want to love this brush - I did not like the way Sigma put themselves into the market as a MAC copycat, though they said they didn't. Don't get me wrong, I do not swear by MAC (I'm more of a MUFE fan) but using the same numbers to name their brushes was not totally accidental, right? (Though their numbering system has been changed ever since).

So I must admit that I started with quite negative thoughts about the company, especially with all these gurus on YT who all raved about the kits after receiving theirs for free...
Until I watched a video of somebody who used to think the same way as me! She seemed to review the kit honestly (not only pros but ALSO cons) and then the Sigma F80. She said that it was awesome. I really hesitated but finally ordered one (brush + shipping cost to Europe is still less expensive that buying an actual MAC foundation brush...!) and... well, I had to admit that I should NEVER take anything for granted, because the F80 is a fantastic brush. Really. I love, love, love this brush. It buffs foundation onto the skin like nothing else. The bristles are very, very soft. The brush is quite dense and perfectly applies your product without any streaks and the result is a flawless face. Also, I've observed no shedding or ferrule loosening so far.

The only negative thing I'd say about it is that you have to be very thorough when you wash it. The density of the bristles is a quality but also a downside when it comes to cleansing. Make sure that all the Marseilles' soap (or baby shampoo) is gone before you put it to dry because any residue will gradually damage any brush. The drying time is quite long too - overnight is not enough, you'll have to wait about 20-24 hours.

I still wouldn't buy their other brushes appart from their Sigmax/HD line - which is awesome. I'm a Hakuhodo convert and because I've reached such a high level of quality, there's no coming back for me to other brands except for a very few brushes (MAC 217 or Sigma F80 obviously!) but I highly recommend this brush - you won't be disappointed!

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Sayoko

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This brush is really good for the price ..To apply liquid foundation, normally i'd use the mac 187 and then the 180 to buff it out. The F820 is like the 180 and the 187 in one. the results from the F80 is fabulous!.. I can't say this brush can replace my mac 180 brush but their performance is quite comparable since the 180 is discontinued, the F80 is a good alternative. I would say this brush seem to work well with liquid and powder products best. I wouldn't pay the insane ebay prices for a mac 180 if I didn't have one. I would definitely buy this again... I already bought one for my travel brush set.:-)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Makeupbuzz21

This is a good brush for buffing and blending liquid foundation. It's extremely soft, it's soooo soft I couldn't get over it!! The price is, ehhh...It's a little steep for a small foundation brush (will discuss size more in a sec) but the quality makes up for it. The size of the brush is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I'm used a larger duo fiber brush for my foundation so when I got this in the mail I was surprised at it's size, but it really doesn't matter how big it is because it's such a great brush!! Def. recommend for anyone who uses liquid foundation, you will never need another brush for your foundation again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by tormlen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the Hollywood Glamour retractable version of this brush, and I must say, I love it. I use it with my mineral foundation. What I like to do is pull the retractable piece up so only a tiny portion of the bristles stick out, dot this into my foundation, tap away the excess, dot it onto my problem areas and then buff it into the rest of my face. It works really well and makes my foundation look so much more natural. And, while I know several people on Sigma's website have said they find the color tacky, I'm only 21 and I think it's adorable.