October 26, 2014 | 978 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by MyChanelScalpel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product makes your face SO silky smooth, but I really can't justify the price tag on this one. Great packaging, smells nice, works wonders....but it isn't a HG therefore not worth $50 to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Texasbrian14

Okay here is the thing all primers do the same thing and we all know what they do. This primer does EXTRA ... 1. ALL NATURAL SUN PROTENCTION (Zinc Oxide - helps with blemishes and helps regulate the production of sebum) 2. Turns any foundation and powder you put on top of it into a water resistant product !!!! Hands down of the the best primers on the market today :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 12:04:00 PM More reviews by jennrowe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love, love, love this primer. I got it as a free try me sample from my sephora order and fell in love. I'm currently using Illamasque matte primer and am sorry to say that I'm not impressed. This primer, even though expensive, is very good at controlling oil during the day. I love the silky almost velvet feeling it leaves on your skin when applying. It is very lightweight and nonclogging to pores. It has not made me break out and lasts all day. As soon as I finish my Illasmaque, I will defientely purchase the full size product. For oily acne prone girls like myself, I would highely recommend giving this a try!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2010 11:27:00 PM More reviews by cendana

- I received compliments on how smooth and how flawless my skin looks whenever I use this
- Nice hygienic bottle with pump. I like the packaging of matte glass and bronze/rose gold lining and cap
- Make sure you close the cap before you shake it, some products might come out of the nozzle if you shake it without the lid on
- It's a soft watery lotion, that once it touches your skin it feels velvety and turns matte.
- What I do is really massage it around my cheeks, forehead... with my hands (you can use brush, whichever you prefer) but I feel that with my hands I can really work it and massage it to my skin. For a nice "gripping" base for foundation.
- Price is way too steep. It costs AUD$79
- I shall try other primers but I'd buy this again as my go to primer for now...

rated 3 of 5 on 5/21/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by wildcatz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I' m not sure what this primer is designed to do, because it doesn't do anything for me. I need something to keep makeup from settling into my pores by the end of the day and help mattify and this isn't it.

My makeup looks great with this when first applied, but by the time I'm heading home at the end of the day, it looks melted and my eyeshadow is nearly completely gone. I'll be trying something else for my oily skin.

However, I do like to use this to prime around my eye area and on my lids due to it's SPF 15 with physical sun blockers only (titanium & zinc). I have to keep my regular sunscreen away from my eyes or it burns as the day goes on.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2010 3:21:00 AM More reviews by peachiful

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This works well for me, it is sooooo silky but very lightweight, which is perfect for my skin. I can see how it's not for everyone. It depends on how dry/oily/uneven your skin is. My skin is sensitive and this doesn't break me out or irritate me, and I'm neither very dry nor oily and I'm pretty even (as far as skin surface) so finding something so lightweight is nice for a change (Laura Mercier has a good one too) I've noticed a lot of people like smashbox photofinish which was an absolute disaster on me because it is way to thick and greasy for my skin, so if you've had the same experience, you may want to try this stuff. I gave 4 lip sticks since I only give 5 for my, 'if-you-take-them-away-I'll-go-through-withdrawal' products.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by blloyd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am very disappointed with this product. I don't feel that it adds any benefit to using before my foundation. For an oil free product, my skin gets quite oily after using it. For the week that I have been using it, I have found myself wishing that the bottle was finished so that I could purchase a different primer; one that works. Yesterday the universe answered, and I accidently dropped the bottle and it smashed. Instead of being disappointed, I feel relieved. I would not even consider purchasing it again. I'm a sucker for nice packaging too, and find that hourglass leaves a lot to be desired.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 4:56:00 AM More reviews by mantees11

BEST PRIMER EVER!!SILKY SILKY SKIN PORELESS!! =)MAKES MAKE UP STAY PUT ALL DAY

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddict713

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because 2 different salespeople at Sephora recommended it to me. I really like the smooth frosted glass and shiny gunmetal packaging/container, especially compared to other primers that are often in very inconvenient screw-off caps (Laura Mercier, Tarte, Smashbox 2 oz. tube, etc.) or pumps that do not even work after a few pumps (Smashbox 1 oz. pump bottles).

I really wanted to like this, but it did not really do anything for me, and at $52 a pop for a primer (far more expensive than other primers), my expectations were pretty high. I found it more viscous than all other primers I have tried, almost thin and runny. It is very slippery and makes spreading anything on top of it very easy, which I suppose is a plus, but I felt like it spreads too easily and makes your skin too slick. Unlike other primers, I felt like I was spreading liquid oil on my face. Recently I have developed some dry, flaky patches on my skin, and based on other reviews, I had hoped that it would prevent my makeup from caking up on the flakes. Unfortunately, it still did. I was really disappointed. Perhaps I will try using more and see if that helps, but I doubt it will as I feel I used plenty. Plus, at this price, you would *hope* that a little goes a long way!

Also, if you wear contact lenses, wash your hands *really* well if you have this on your hands and want to put in your contacts. I made the mistake of not doing that, and my eyes stung so bad I had to take my contacts out and wear glasses. But just to be sure this was really the culprit, I am going to test again.

It also leaves a whitish/grayish cast over your skin, but I don't think you can tell after you put makeup over it.

Luckily I swapped for a used bottle and didn't open the one I bought. Oddly the tester I used in Sephora seemed thicker. I will update this review after I try it a few more times.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

This primer is so expensive, but I really, really liked it. As in - Better Than Any Other Primer I Have Tried. This review is based on a generous sample which I used for two weeks. Then I went back and bought the whole bottle and updated this review, so it's not quite the original version, but the rankings are all the same - I've just added more detail!
First of all, it doesn't break me out at all, which is excellent as I am acne prone and always fighting off a breakout. With other primers (MUFE) I've wondered if they are breaking me out or not, and never been 100% sure, but with Veil, I'm sure. But despite not breaking me out at all, it also has a really pleasant moisturizing effect on the skin - when using this primer I don't feel the need for a separate moisturizer which is a great bonus. Veil goes onto the skin like silk, and feels fantastic. Seriously fantastic - my skin has never felt softer or smoother than when I use this primer. It has a white color to it, but it disappears when you blend it into your skin, possibly leaving a slight brightening effect. I am very fair, so I can't comment on whether it would leave a white cast on darker complexions, as I do not have this problem. I can say that this primer doesn't seem to give a white flash in photos or anything like that. It feels really incredibly, supernaturally soft and makes a truly excellent base for makeup. Even on a no-makeup day, I still like to use a bit of this primer for a little brightening, and the wonderful silky feel of it. However, I would not like to rely on its SPF 15 as my only sun protection as I would have to apply a LOT of this primer to equal the amount of sunscreen one needs to apply to their face to get the full effect of the SPF - I think applying that much of the primer would be a waste of what is already a very expensive product. I do LOVE that the SPF in this product is physical, and thus it will not interfere with your everyday sunscreen, or cause ingredients in your sunscreen to be less effective which can happen when combining chemical sunscreens.
I have found that my makeup goes on better and lasts longer when I use this primer than if I use my foundation over no primer. Now that I have had longer to experiment with this primer, I know that it actually makes my makeup last longer than I have experienced with other primers (MUFE, Smashbox, Laura Mercier).
I will buy this again, but I wish I could find a less expensive alternative that I like as much. I was OK with the price of the Make Up For Ever primers (which I do like, but not as much as this one), but the price of the Hourglass one is bordering on silly. My current solution is to only buy it on sale, if you get 20% off, it becomes $41.60 instead of $52.