July 23, 2014 | 1133 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2002 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Aimster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was my mom's signature scent when I was a child. She wore it every single day of my childhood and much heavier when going out at night. It seemed to jive well with her ultra-curled, poofy, late-70s/ early 80s hair-do and sometimes shiny Saturday Night Fever-type shirts and dresses. On the rare occasions when she wears it today, I am simply flooded with warm memories. It's so great how she came to wear the scent... When she was a little girl, she had a tiny bottle of dark perfume that was her absolute favorite. But she could never figure out what it was and had no way of replacing it. When she showed it to my dad early into their relationship, he went in search of something similar. He bought her Youth Dew, and she wore it for years to follow. She still has that little bottle of unidentified scent, but it doesn't smell nice anymore. I read in a maganize recently that Youth Dew was a classic scent of the 1950s. I like it primarily for reasons of nostalgia. I would not wear this as a young woman, but I might re-consider as I grow older.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2002 7:46:00 PM More reviews by AliceinWonderland

My mom wore this in the seventies, but I think its really nasty. It smells like dollar store designer imposter perfume. Its really yucky. Its also this dark brown colour that looks like its gone bad or something.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2002 2:20:00 PM More reviews by jjff

The deep brown color weirds me out, and I just don't understand the appeal of this fragrance. At all.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2002 1:37:00 AM More reviews by MyDogSophie

My mom just bought herself a bottle of this and I smelled it unfortunately again. My dad said it stinks too. It reminds me of a nursing home where old ladies douse theirselves it in to cover up their urine stink in their Depends Undergarments. There is nothing youthful about this one. Its revolting.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2002 7:17:00 PM More reviews by auntgooey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a definite love it or hate it fragrance, with strong feelings on both sides, like Angel lovers and haters. It's very spicy and heavy, so I only buy it in the splash bottle or in the bath oil bottle because you can't control the spray and it's way too easy to put on too much. Or sometimes I just used the scented deodorant and that's enough. A little is all you need. It's got orange, cinnamon, clove, spicy carnation, rose, amber and oakmoss as some of the main notes. I read that Ms. Lauder couldn't get the top department store in Paris to carry it in the 1950s because it was "American perfume", so on her way out she "accidently" dropped and broke a bottle on the floor. Other customers were soon asking what the fragrance was and where they could buy it. The department store quickly changed its mind, and Youth Dew had an outlet in Europe. Now that's a smart business woman. I love this for myself, but definitely do not buy it unsniffed because you'll have a strong reaction of either "wow, it's great" or "yuck." If you like Magie Noire or Opium, this might be for you.