Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 4/17/2010 6:40:00 AM

This absolutely worked for me. I have applied castor oil religously with a mascara wand for 6 weeks now and I have considerably longer lashes. Just amazing. It now looks like I am wearing mascara when I am not. My lashes, especially the bottom are much much longer, thicker and darker. It took a while to notice results, just over 4 weeks, so the key is to be patient.

I also use castor oil once a week to my hair as a treatment (half and half with avocado oil) with pretty good results. My hair is much more managable and soft but it seems to be a band aid/ temporary effect. After the next wash, my hair is not as smooth. A good trick is when washing out is to apply shampoo directly to hair before wetting it and working it through. I don't know why this works (maybe because water and oil don't mix?), but if you wet hair first you will struggle to get it out.

on 4/13/2010 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I originally got this to lengthen my eyelashes. I thought for the great price and all the rave reviews it couldn't go wrong. I've been using this every night for the past 3 weeks and it hasn't lengthened or thickened by eyelashes. It does take off stubborn eyemakeup really well.

I also tried using it on my skin that was dry and damaged from overuse of retin-a micro. My skin felt raw from using the retin-a and turned red and flaky on my forehead. The castor oil helped to soothe it and within days the dry skin patches came off easily when I washed my face.

I'll keep trying it for my eyelashes and update if anything changes.

on 4/13/2010 9:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I used a small amount applied with a cotton swab to my upper and lower lash lines every night for a week. KAPOW! I am not kidding, my lashes are very noticably longer, stronger and darker. I even put a bit on an area of my brows that I had over plucked, and it has filled in! I would highly recommend that you try this, it is dirt cheap and it really produced amazing results for me. ***** UPDATE ***** I have had to decrease my usage of the castor oil to twice weekly...my lashes were getting to be ANNOYING. I am not kidding, I wear reading glasses and they were hitting the glasses! I read about the oil cleansing, and I would not even think of trying that judging by how my lashes and brows grew! I would have to wax my face every other day! For some reason this product worked miracles for my lashes and brows. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to thicken and lengthen brows and lashes without spending a fortune.

on 3/29/2010 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Yes I use this but I wanted to post what I use this for as well as what it is being used for in this review thread which is for brows.

I honestly do not think that castor oil itself will stimulate hair growth. What I do think is that it is so emollient and nutrient packed (in comparison to any mineral oil or petrolatum products) that it does indeed *promote* rather than stimulate hair growth by protecting and maybe even strengthning so that the hair isn't prone to fall out or become so damaged it breaks off etc.... Know what I mean? But I'm in no way qualified to say for sure. But if a product is safe to use, it gives you the results you want---I say Girl go for it!

I use castor oil on my face. After I remove every speck of makeup and my face is as clean as a whistle I will use this oil as a massage. I do this every single night. The castor oil is to double check about the makeup and it also (and I can only speak from personal experience here) purges my skin and keeps it clear. I then use a scrub that can be used daily to emulsify this oil and wash off before application of moisturizer.

This oil is very thick (think maple syrup that has been in the fridge) completely odorless and completely tasteless (if you should want to taste it? :-). If you want to put this on your face as I do don't just take a dollap and slap it on your forehead. Because it's gonna stay right there sister! Pour a bit into your clean palm and dab it all over your face. Then as it warms from your skin,slowly massage. This oil is the reason I have not had blackheads for years now. Not even in the large pores I had on my nose.

I also use this on a washcloth after I bathe to rub onto my legs and arms. Try it you'll like it. It's multi-functional and it's safe. (Do a spot test before you slather yourself up with it because you just might be the only person in the world that I have ever heard have an allergic reaction to this oil LOL)

on 3/29/2010 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm going to give this a 3 because I've found it works at growing my eyebrows after I over-pluck and that's great. However, if it's known for hair growth, would I want to put this on my face and/or body, wouldn't it promote hair growth there also? So I won't use it anywhere but eyebrows for the moment and still on a search for a face oil. Jojoba works great for a while but then it starts clogging my pores and I have to take a break for a month or two.

I used to be a product junkie. Like, intensely. Then I began a purging phase and wanted to be a minimalist. Ultimately, I wanted not to have to use makeup. I wanted beautiful skin and hair and everything else without having to pretend. (Crazy sounding, right?) This is the best product I have found. Mainly my skin care regimen consists of a lot of different oils. I originally bought this with the intention of lash/brow growth because I wanted to see more fullness and not have to wear mascara. I wasn't really sure what else I would use this for until my room mate, who is a nautropathic med student told me alllll about the wonders of Castor oil. It is a wonderfully healing oil, ultimately. If you type castor oil in google it will tell you all about the different uses. I have not used it in pack form, yet, though. I do use it as my main oil for the OCM. At first I noticed a lot of what people think are breakouts or congestion. Really, what was happening was that it was drawing all of the impurities in my skin to the surface. And it does a right quick job for it. And it makes perfect sense, really. If your skin is a way to show what is going on in your body, then in is safe to say that any drainages or pimples or whatever skin concerns you will have are coming from within. I also use 1 drop of castor oil to 1 drop of emu oil for my facial moisturizer after icing. I've noticed less acne, more even, toned and glowing skin. I think this is what orgasm (NARS or real one) is supposed to look like ;) Body moisturizer? Half castor oil and half coconut oil. I have noticed incredible tone, evenness and cellulite reduction since using this after a shower. I also use this for boo-boos. I have this terrible habit of picking at imperfections I find on my body and this heals them pretty darn quick. Also, it's really safe for eye use. You might wake up feeling goopy in the morning after putting it on your lashes, but since it's been known to cure styes I have no fear that that irritation is doing something terrible if it accidentally gets in my eye.

I apologize for the incredibly long rant. I just feel that castor oil is so amazing, especially for non-beauty purposes. But since this site is pretty much about vanity, or as a means towards inner beauty, I thought I'd share my experience through using it.

on 3/23/2010 8:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Thanks for the tip MUA folks! I'm finally able to leave the house without drawing in the sparse spot in my brows they are getting thicker and soon that tiny brow bald spot (from childhood chicken pox scar) will be gone! :) yay! makes lashes thicker and longer too!

on 3/17/2010 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. I was skeptical but I decided to try it anyway. I started using this on Februrary 19th and it's now March 17th. After nearly a month I've noticed a lot of differences. I've always had long eyelashes, but this made them longer and even a bit thicker. My bottom lashes became even longer.

I used this on my brows as well and it helped to fill in bare patches. They look lovely. I'm in love.

I also have been using it on my face. At eighteen, I've been noticing light lines around my mouth (sneer lines). This concerned me. They are far less noticeable now. The tiny creases under my eyes look a bit better as well.

The only con I can really think of is that if you get it in your eyes, it does irritate them. Other than that, I'm a happy camper.

on 3/10/2010 11:25:00 AM

Really was hoping to get just some of teh good results everyone raves about on here with this oil among amny other but nada lol. I don't know why but any oil I have tried for my fac ends up clogging and breaking me out. Since I was noly using castor for my lashes and brows hoped Ild be okay but no difference at all. I do have long lashs to begin with and was just using this more as a strengthener/treatment and jsut wanted my brows to get a little denser and more full. Did absolutely nothing but give my clogged pores even on my lids. I'm officially done with oils after this and don't understand how so many people have such miracle results with this lol. I have also heard Castor Oil is good for a hair treatment in balancing the scalpt and helping your hair grown stronger and fuller. I really would lvoe to try it for that but jsut don't see that being practical considering how thick and glue like this oil is. I honestly dont feel like my shampoo would even be able to wash this out yet alone for me to even be able to massage this into my scalp without my hair turning into a rats nest. IF anyone has any tips appreciate it!! Otherwise I'm no more with castor oil.

on 3/10/2010 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Last month, I started using regular castor oil that I found in the pharmacy. And I must say that it has been the best thing I have brought for my body. Its so multipurpose! I use it to clean/hydrate my face, to grow my lashes, to control my very stubborn hair, and to sometime detox (hell of a pain)

I cannot believe I didn't use this sooner. From now on, I will use this weekly on my face. Its a miracle worker!

Popular Brows Products