September 23, 2014 | 1805 users online

Masks - Queen Helene - Mint Julep Masque

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2007 12:13:00 PM More reviews by michmy

i was skeptical about this mask because of the price but after reading the reviews here, i decided to try it out. i'm so thankful for these reviews! this is a great mask, it really dries out pimples and makes blackheads easier to remove. i'm prone to milia and this mask has kept them at bay.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2007 11:11:00 AM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading MUA reviews, I went on down to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up a giant 12 oz. vat of Mint Julep Masque for a criminally cheap sale price of $4. This is a good, inexpensive choice for those with oily to very oily skin.
This mask claims to dry out oily skin and, holy cow, believe you me, they are not joking. If you've got combo skin, I highly recommend applying this to only the oily areas. Normal to dry skin types might want to experiment with this mask before purchasing a gigantic tub. (After all, a gigantic tub of something that is too drying to use is not really a bargain.)
This is a clay/mud based mask and I found that it provides the same benefits as similar, more expensive products: smooth skin and slightly less noticable pores.
I removed 2 lippies as this mask does sting and burn slightly on application. I'm of the school that stinging and burning do not mean a product is working. That means a product is irritating my skin. I know many disagree and I offer this only as my opinion.
The drying power and stinging mean that I'll only be using this one on strategic areas once a week or every other week during the summer months.
Overall, I prefer the Queen Helene Mud Pack Masque to this one. I find Mud Pack to be less drying and it doesn't make my skin burn or sting. While I like Mint Julep, I will probably not repurchase -- only because it isn't ideal for my skin type or needs.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2007 9:43:00 AM More reviews by audeespicey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Props to Queen Helene. I learned about this masque from my best girlfriend's mother when I was about 15. We used to give each other spa treatments from her mom's stock, and her mother never begrudged our using her tub of mint julep masque.

Last year, I was in a car accident and some of the medication I'm on for the nerve pain doesn't agree with my skin at all. At first, I was having cystic acne. Now, it's settled down somewhat, except I just couldn't get rid of the "milk spots" and whiteheads on my cheeks and either side of my mouth on my chin.

Yesterday, I read some reviews here and thought, "Wait, I haven't tried that lately!"

To the bathroom I went. First, I dissolved 4 aspirin in witch hazel on the bathroom sink and exfoliated with that. Then I grabbed my trusty old tub of Queen Helene mint julep masque and got to work. It had dried out somewhat, but I rehydrated what I scooped onto my fingers with a few drops of warm water.

I let the masque on my face for about 30 minutes, then took a shower.

When I got out of the shower, I toned with witch hazel and put on my moisturizer. Back to my regular skincare regime before bed, and when I woke up this morning....

...wait for it...

...the milk spots and whiteheads on my cheeks are nearly gone. I'm not kidding you. After 6 months of living with this disgusting mess and trying everything on the drugstore shelves, one application of Queen Helene seems to have dried out the worst of it.

Queen Helene tingles and nearly burns after I put it on. This isn't a treatment that I'll use every day, but now that I've rediscovered it, this is definitely my weekly facial.

Tip to those who don't like the tube: Buy from Sally's -- Sally's still has the big old-fashioned tub.

Cheap, effective and helped a conition that no other non-prescription skincare product has helped in 6 months. What else is there to say?!

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2007 1:57:00 AM More reviews by dramaflower

i love this stuff; it makes my skin feel clean and tightens up my pores (although only temporarily :( ) and occasionally makes a zit or two disappear. also helps w/ marks, it makes my skin look all-over better toned (also temporary :( ) it's soo cheap though, and it does make me look sooooo good after i use it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2007 12:17:00 AM More reviews by JaeMann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This thing really cleans up my ugly nose pores. Can dry me out a bit. Amazing as a spot treatment.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2007 9:47:00 AM More reviews by lolacain

Nice mask, but wasn't exceptional. It's funny how sometimes you expect miracles to happen!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2007 1:12:00 AM More reviews by productjunkie76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had tried this mask in the past and thought it was just ok. I had trouble rinsing it off. Well i just started using it again mixed with aspirin and i have no problem rinsing it off and i really like it.
Ingredients
Distilled Water, Kaolin, Bentonite, Glycerin, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Sulfur, Chromium Oxide Greens, Fragrance, Methylparaben

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2007 10:00:00 PM More reviews by beachbabe1814

Overall, this mask is my favorite above all others that I've tried. I have acne-prone skin and this keeps it undercontrol and helps combat my breakouts! I love the refreshing feel of this mask and the smell is minty not chalky.. I've tried many derm. reccomended masks but always go back to this one!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/29/2007 4:48:00 AM More reviews by pandabee

My roommates uses this and raves about it. After reading the excellent reviews on here, I decided that I HAD to try it.

Overall, I was really unimpressed, to be honest. I gave it an honest try though, but it really didn't do much for me.

Likes:
Lovely smell. Nice, thick texture and stays on face well. Easy to tell when it's ready.

Dislikes:
Did nothing to change my skin. I didn't even feel a real difference of texture or hydration. It also stung a little. I tried it for a full two weeks (4 times) and still didn't really notice a major difference. I'm not sure if I need to just give it more time or not, but I'm really not feeling the product. Maybe it's just not meant for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2007 11:22:00 PM More reviews by ktnguyen167

This stuff works well, i've had less breakouts and the occassional zit goes away when I use this as a spot treatment. I'm pretty impressed as I used to get pimples one after the other. Really annoying.

I do have to say, though, the packaging could be better. It's hard to squeeze out and every once in a while I'd squeeze and the stuff would squirt out and splatter on everything. My pores aren't noticably smaller, skin isn't really more soft (like my origins mask), and it does try out my skin so I stick to the t-zone, nose, and chin. My nose smells like sulfur if I rub it after wiping the mask off. My particular tube had 33% more free in it for a little over three dollars at walgreens. Will buy again.