October 25, 2014 | 1323 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

I was prepared to be wowed by this mascara. It was not so. While it is an okay mascara, it just didn't live up to how wonderful I thought it was going to be. Pros: cheap, decent, easy to find. Cons: just decent, packaging is a little too much. Would I repurchase? Maybe, but I still like the fullness that Voluminous imparts. Colossal made my lashes kind of "twiggy" looking - and I don't mean like Twiggy the model's lashes (I wish!), I actually mean that they kind of looked like little sticks!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 5:02:00 PM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this mascara a lot. And the good thing is, I was able to compare it with a higher end brand because I have a little sample of their mascara.

When I first bought this, I opened it and stuck the wand under my nose. Yep, the rose smell was there. But it didn't smell like dead roses as others have stated. That was a stupid move though, 'cause the smell stayed in my nose the whole day. The next time I didn't do it & I smelled the rosiness when applying, but when I was finished it went away.

Anyway, so I applied it. I dunno about 9x the volume in one stroke, but my eyelashes did look nice & clump free. I love the brush; its like the Full 'n Soft brush, but bigger & more separated. I was able to get my practically-not-there (I'm not kidding) bottom lashes easily also. Whoever said this is like FnS with more oomph, I agree.

This doesn't leave my eyelashes crispy like the department store mascara, and it doesn't flake or smear, like the department store mascara. It gives the same results (well, I think better), and is much more cheaper.

[edit 08/17] Yeah, so about a week ago, the little stopper thing that keeps the mascara from coming out in a glob broke or something so half my mascara came out when I opened it. I now would not repurchase & back to FnS for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2008 1:59:00 AM More reviews by zeroxstar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love this! the first drugstore mascara that I can see myself re-buying and not longing for a better, more expensive mascara. It does compare to Diorshow as others have said, although it does take more coats to get to the same place, however, for the price, that's not bad at all. Plus, i love the rose water smell (also a diorshow copy - only a little stronger in this mascara). I think it has fast become my HG drugstore mascara!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by MadameFabulina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic! I usually use DiorShow or Definicils, but had recently watched so many reviews of this on You Tube that I decided to try it for myself. To the people that complain about the smell lasting all day and making them nauseous - uhhhh, so yeahhh, okay. Yes, there is a slight scent, but it barely lasts 5 seconds, screw all day! This does not clump, and I use 3 coats WITHOUT wiping the brush between coats. The only, ONLY thing I can fault is that I do have to use Clarins Fix Mascara over it so it doesn't smudge on my upper lids. Other than that, this is totally fab and the price is soooo right!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 8:34:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this last night as I wanted to try something from the DS that might work. The color was good, got the glam black. I noticed the scent, but really-how long does it last, and, how many of the department store brands have a fragrance of some sort? I applied according to the directions, not allowing to dry between coats. I did not have a lot of gunky build up in my lashes, and they did not look spidery. There were no flakes at the end of the day, and it was easily removed. I like a lot and may repurchase!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2008 5:18:00 PM More reviews by rdrose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UGHH I hate this mascara, I wanted something with volume!! It clumps you have to wipe you eyelashes a few times so it looks naturall, and it smears really really easy, not the normal smear for non waterproof mascara way worse! And it has such a horrible smeel to it ughh DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 11:35:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've worn this for about a week straight since purchasing, with and without curling my lashes first, and either way it's not that great of a mascara for me. It's not bad, but I like other drugstore brands like Lash Expansion or LashBlast much better. First, there is that noticeable propylene glycol / fake rose smell that stays with me literally all day. The first time I wore it I couldn't figure out what I was smelling that smelled so weird all day, and I knew it wasn't my perfume. I sniffed the tube the 2nd time I wore it and I knew that it was this mascara. I have fairly longish lashes and I prefer a less clumpier, less stiff, more lengthening and volumizing formula, that does not turn my lashes into spidery spikes. Unfortunately, this has a tendency to turn them into those such spikes. It's supposed to be a one-coat mascara, but that did not turn out to be enough. It also dries more quickly than I prefer (even faster than the Volum ExpressTurbo 7x, which is a superior product) and makes the second coat hard to pull through your lashes without clumps. I find that it doesn't lengthen as much as I would like and the volumizing/fattening effect doesn't really work because it gets clumpy and makes spikes way to fast. I like this less than I do the Great Lash in the telltale pink/green packaging. I have to use a lash comb with it (something I hardly ever have to do) to make it look right. Curling my lashes beforehand really makes very little difference. It does look ok once I get my lash comb through it, after the 2nd coat, but it's just too much work and I have many other mascaras that I like more (Lash Queen, BE Mascaras, Lash Expansion, Clinique High Impact, Volum Express Turbo 7x, Lash Blast, Diorshow Unlimited). I find that the stiffening effect and maybe something in the formula makes me want to rub my eyes at the end of the day and just get this stuff of my eyelashes. Not good. Won't repurchase but I may try to use it up. However, it won't be a go-to mascara and I won't use it when I don't have the time to fool with it or an inperfect look. This really rates about a 2.5. The color I have is Glam Black and it doesn't seem any better than any other regular black. Blackest Black in Lash Blast is a better color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 6:44:00 PM More reviews by LilMsJksn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I saw it and after reading the reviews I decided to purchase it. I think this mascara is great. I wanted to find an alternative to Full and Soft (just because I saw it on clearance at Target and feared they'd discontinue it). It thickens, it lasts all day, and I the outside makes it quite easy to find in a make up bag. It does however have an odd smell, like old school cosmetics, but who is sniffing at eye lashes???

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Gabriel679

I LOVE this mascara!!!!

I purchased this in Glam Black, hoping that is would do what DiorShow most certainly did NOT do (for me, anyway) - this product made my short, straight lashes look almost like fake lashes, they were so full and defined. Without any clumps, I might add. It didn't flake or bother my eyes, either. And the color is intense without being overly obnoxious, which I like a lot.

I did blot the wand before applying the first few times I used the product, just because I tend to get way too much on if I don't do this, but that goes with any mascara I buy.

This beats my CG Lash Blast, hands down. I will have to purchase in brown as well.

Highly recommended. Excellent product.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by sardun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was NOT impressed. It didn't thicken my lashes x9... didn't make them curl or look long. They stuck together and clumped when I tryed to curl them....so I went out and got my fave Diorshow. I should have knew better then to try this stuff. You get what you pay for... like they say.