August 27, 2014 | 1786 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by sardun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was NOT impressed. It didn't thicken my lashes x9... didn't make them curl or look long. They stuck together and clumped when I tryed to curl them....so I went out and got my fave Diorshow. I should have knew better then to try this stuff. You get what you pay for... like they say.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2008 5:02:00 PM More reviews by imnotreallyadoctor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So you've probably heard a bit about the Cover Girl Lashblast by now.... everyone's raving about how it gives you much volume without any clumping. And it was alright. However, I saw this particular mascara in the drugstore which seemed to be Maybelline's answer to the Lashblast and decided to try it out. Before I get to the good (read:excellent) parts, let me just say I love the packaging; it really speaks to the teen girl in me. The tube is a bright (and admittedly gaudy) yellow with shiny purple font. The brush slides out and in really easily unlike the Lashblast. First thing I notice upon taking it out is THANK GOD IT'S NOT PLASTIC. Nothing against the stuff, but it really does nothing for my thick long lashes as a mascara wand. Maybelline promises nine times the volume with one single swipe. So I ran the brush once up my lashes from root to tip and OH MY GOD. It was so goooood. Of course it doesn't give you nine times the volume (that'd be ridiculous) but it does work amazingly well. It was like 5 coats of Lashblast = 1 coat of Collosal Volum' Express (although I must admit Cover Girl's name is a bit catchier). No clumps and it was glamourously dark (I did get it in Glam Black after all). The huge brush may not work as well on short/thin lashes, but it certainly worked for me and really added curl too. Best mascara I've tried so far, and mascara is probably the beauty item I've gotten most often. Definitely recommend this incredible product. Am waiting 'til it comes out in waterproof.

Edit: I have to point out something wierd, that since I have been buying this mascara regularly, I seem to get a different result every time. The third time I got it, it didn't do anything; it was like I had bought a defective one or something. Then I got it and it worked great again... so that's just something to note.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2008 2:47:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Bought this at my local grocery store as I noticed it was on sale for $3.50. Previously I have heard mention of it here on the boards, and never thought twice about trying it out until I saw the cheap price tag. As being a sucker for a sale, I purchased it with high hopes. In the past I tried Cover Girl's Lash Blast and really liked that mascara, but went back to my MAC Plushlash as I am set in my ways, besides I like to collect the empties for the B2M program...anyways, I figured it was time to try something new. Here goes... I like the bright yellow packaging easy to locate in my drawer of m/u. I like the size of the brush, easy to work with. I hate the product. I have thin sparse lashes, and usually upon application of the 1st coat I can tell if a mascara will work wonders for my lashes. This did absolutely nothing to enhance, volumize, lengthen, etc. My lashes looked the same as usual but darker. I applied another coat, and then another, and another. Although it did not start to clump until coat 3, my lashes still looked blah, and I gave up. This mascara is not for me, I'd rather use Lash Blast. That one delivers! Would not repurchase or use it even if it was for free. Gave it one lippie for the pckging...lol!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2008 1:44:00 AM More reviews by tina2006

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

One word AMAZING! I just love this mascara. I have short straight lashes but you couldn't tell when I put this mascara on. Colossal Volume makes my lashes plump, full, and long. As far as the "rose" scent I did notice it the first few times I used this mascara but it fades away as you use it more..or maybe I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me. Great mascara=P

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2008 7:39:00 PM More reviews by beemarie75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hate this mascara and don't see what all the hype is about. It's messy, clumpy, smears on my eyelids, and has an intense fake rose scent. I won't buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by lil_me

I was at my local Target (AGAIN) and this little gem caught my eye. It was ticketed for $5.99, but it rang up as $5 (SALE) when I got to the register. I almost wanted to go back to the display and grab the Glam Black. My 6 year old impatient daughter was with me so I could not drag her through the crowded store again.
Today, I picked up the Classic Black. When I got to my car, I immediately took it out of the packaging and swiped some on my limp/ thin lashes. It promised to boost the volume 9x. I don't know if it did that, but my lashes looked very nice. The volume was natural and there were no clumps. It went on very smooth and even. It feels weightless.
Sniff, Sniff...the, infamous 'rose' fragrance hit me! The scent hung around for probably 5 minutes. I'm pretty surprised on how long it lingered. For the price and the results I got, I'll ignore this minor annoyance.
It lasted all day without flaking or smudging. I do wish it was 'blacker'. The Classic Black is soft and natural looking, but I usually like my mascaras to be really deep black. Maybe, I'll go back & get the Glam Black! I don't think this is a HG product, but it's ok for $5...
****UPDATE*** Yes, I did get the Glam black. You know, the more I use it, the more I like it... I think I'll give it one more lippie! I originally gave it 3 lippies.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by vmg85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to be a fan of volume boost mascara and turbo boost.. so I just had to try this one. I hate fat tubes (hated lash blast as well), they're ugly and take up more room in makeup bags. But anyhoo, love the product. My lashes are nice and dark, not stiff (soft), holds a curl, no clumps on lashes or brush. But we'll see how it removes later tonight (I loose lashes very easily). Two thumps up so far .

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2008 12:16:00 PM More reviews by ChicGeek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara is everything Lash Blast should have been! I absolutely love it. Soft, feathery lashes... this mascara lengthens, separates AND thickens. Not clumpy at all... totally my new HG. Only downside was it was $12.. lame.. but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2008 10:50:00 AM More reviews by lola108

I'll admit it... I'm guilty of buying this mascara because of the bright and catchy packaging. haha. It's an OK mascara... it didn't really blow me away, or anything. I bought it in "glam black." I found that it took a couple of coats to get the look I really wanted. However, it didn't clump or look nasty like some of the other mascaras I tried, which is definetly a plus!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by fatbottmdgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

OK, so being the MU addict that I am I HAD to try this. I really didn't think this could beat my beloved Lash Blast,,,,,,,,but I think it may have. It does come out of the tube a little "wet", but if you wipe it off on a paper towel, it takes care of it. This is one of those "do it all" mascaras, lengthens, thickens, just makes your eyes overall "pop". You get lovely, flirty lashes that open up your eyes. I admire Maybelline for not copying the Lash Blast wand/brush (but maybe there is a patent I don't know about) and just super sizing the regular brush. You can't miss the tube in your MU case either, because it is a bright, screaming yellow with purple lettering. I got the Glam Black, which like another reviewer said, is a basic deep black. Will probably re-purchase........until the next big loudly colored mascara comes along.
EDIT: I *was* loving this UNTIL the scraper thing (don't know official name) popped out twice and left me with a really gunky wand. The second time this happened this hit the trash can. I don't know if I want to give it a 2nd change. Lash Blast NEVER did this. I am going back to my big orange friend!!!