October 30, 2014 | 1354 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2010 5:20:00 PM More reviews by menacexofxvanity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Simply put- this sucks. It only lasts a few hours and it made my skin break out (I used to have an acne problem, but I got my skin fixed with several microdermabrasion sessions, and never had such a break out until now) I definitely don't recommend this product for anyone with an acne problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by hurricanenika

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bio- Oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin, with lots of acne scars and uneven tone. NW15.

After discovering that my once HG foundation (Dream Smooth Mousse) couldn't handle my oily face and melted off within two hours, I dragged myself to Walgreens to buy yet another foundation that claimed to cover and last and look natural and not clog my pores. (I mean, really, is that too much to ask? Haha..) I'd read TONS about this foundation, but was always scared to try it because of the numerous reviews claiming that Colourstay caused acne in the customers. Then there were the reviews that called it "sheer," or reported that it wouldn't last on their oily skin.

Despite all this, I held my breath and bought the Normal/Oily formula in 110 Ivory. After trying this foundation, here's what I have discovered:

COLOUR MATCH/FORMULA: As I stated before, I'm NW15 and chose 110 Ivory. I've read complaints about the peachy-pink undertone in this particular shade, but it is actually a dead-on match to my skintone, which is wonderful! The formula is thick and smells like paint (as others have said), but it dries quickly and the smell dissipates upon application.

APPLICATION: I've found that the best way to apply this and maintain the fullest coverage while still looking natural is stippling it on with a dry cosmetic sponge. I do one coat over my entire face, and then one more coat on my lower cheeks/jaws, where my scars are concentrated. This method leaves my scars 90% covered, and the rest of my skin even and fresh. Afterwards, I apply concealer to the needed areas and top it with a setting powder.

WEAR: I apply this at 7AM and usually remove it around 6PM. I don't even start to get dewey until about 3PM, and the oil breakthrough doesn't occur till around the 13-hour mark (Well, I wanted to see how long it would last...). However, it doesn't wear off gracefully... you'll be left with patches of oil mixed with the foundation. Not pretty.

REMOVAL: This foundation lives up to the "stay" part when it comes to removal. I use a gentle scrub every night, and it usually removes most of the foundation. Then I wash again with a gentle cleanser, and then by the time I use my toner, it's gone.

BREAKOUTS: If I wear this for more than 12 hours straight or don't remove it fully, I'll end up with two or three clogged pores. I don't doubt that this is probably the cause of the acne-causing accusations, because the clogged pores would definitely accumulate over time if the foundation isn't properly removed. So be sure to have a surefire removal method, or you'll end up with the acne so many have reported.

FINAL VERDICT: I've really come to like this foundation! The SPF in it is also aiding my scar-fading battle, which is always handy. With time and practice, I can forsee this becoming my new HG! :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2010 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Bootyliciousx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It gives full coverage. It is full as Studi fix fluid liquid foundation altough it is very sticky. I would not buy this again. It is liquid though it feels thick due to the stickness of the foundation. It runs out very fast. It only lasted me for 4 weeks. I use full coverage. You need you hand or a brush like Mac 187 brush to apply it. I consider Loreal True Match liquid foundarion to be sheer medium or medium. The price is okay, the coverage is full. Not stuible for acne prone skin. I use it once, I got one pimple. It could cover a person with a whole lot of acne on the face. It could also cover a pimple that is red.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by KittenMittens

I bought this foundation in 110 Ivory for oily/combination skin. I am NW10-15 and it's a pretty good match, sometimes it can pull a little pink. The foundation itself is long wearing and provides very good coverage but because it is long wearing it can be fairly hard to remove (i use TTDO balm and then my regular skincare regimen to be certain it is all off). I really wish this came with a pump because I feel I waste a lot of product pouring it out onto my hand. I also wish this had at least spf 15 because I feel spf 6 is pretty useless. Overall a good product, I would probably repurchase barring I don't find something better.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2010 5:59:00 PM More reviews by AyPapi

I bought this foundation after reading many reviews raving about the quality of this product....to be totally honest I'm not 100% won over. I have very, very oily acne prone skin so my opinion is most probably going to differ to those who have normal or combi skin.

Starting with the pros: When applying it dries to a matte finish which is great when you have skin like mine that is shiny even after washing your face. Coverage is good for a relatively cheap foundation.Good range of shades.

Cons: It does not control oil at all which I wouldn't expect from a liquid foundation anyways but my face was literally gleaming after a couple of hours wear. Can be tricky to work with - I usually apply liquid foundation with a brush but actually found that using my fingers worked a lot better. When using a brush it seemed to almost dry up & stick on the bristles of the brush so I wasn't getting good coverage and it looked patchy.

Overall this is a decent foundation for the price, my personal preference is still MAC studio fix fluid but thats just because I find the coverage is better and at this moment in time I need fairly heavy coverage. I would probably buy again in future its just a shame I picked the wrong shade otherwise I would probably have rated this higher.

**EDIT** I actually now use this over my MAC Studio Fix Fluid as I've found that the coverage is a lot better now I've kinda found the correct shade and the right technique for applying! I purchased what I thought was the correct shade for my skin but turned out to be way too light so I mixed this with the darker tan shade I had previously bought and it gives the perfect colour for me. I think practice definitely makes perfect with this as I previously said it applies patchy with a brush...having used a duo fibre stippling brush I've found that it goes on really evenly and the coverage is amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2010 5:19:00 PM More reviews by angel411

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very comparable to MAC fluid fix, for much less money. I'm very acne prone but this didn't break me out. Make sure you wash off at night, becuase it will last all day. It's thicker coverage (medium to full) and it is going to require more time to blend. Don't rush the blending. I use a stippling brush and it is less "made up" looking than if you use a foundation brush. I got it on sale for $7. I use it every day and the bottle lasts about a month. Wish it came in a pump. I pour a small amount on a plastic lid rather than touch the bottle with my hands. Will buy again. Also revlon doesn't test on animals.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2010 3:26:00 PM More reviews by CCtjehh

I am so glad that I finally bought this foundation! after hearing a lot of positive sounds about this one, I wanted to try it myself, but there was one problem. I couldn't find it in anywhere! I don't understand why, I searched in hundreds of drugstores and other stores in the Netherlands AND Germany and I couldn't find the colorstay foundation anywhere! I didn't want to buy it over the internet because I didn't know which color my face needed. So at some point I went to some small drugstore and they actually sold it so after 3 years I finally found it haha!

I have 220 natural beige for combination/oily skin.
    It is the best match with my skin color of all the foundations I tried. This foundation is really longlasting and my skin didn't get oily at all. Even after a whole day wearing it it was still great looking (I used powder to set it and I airbrushed it with some water). I have active acne and a lot of acne scars and this foundation gives good coverage. I actually don't really need a concealer! but my skin looks more flawless with concealer. This foundation doesn't dry out my skin, didn't break me out and feels really light. You don't need much product.

something I do dislike about the packaging is that it's just one big opening, this makes it hard not to get too much product on your hand...

anyways this foundation is by far the best I've tried till now and the cheapest too! it's really hard to find in my country, but since I know my color now I can buy it over the net (:

I would really recommend this to people with an acne-prone skin and I think this foundation works for people with a oily skin to. (my skin is oily but gets quickly dry too.)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 8:08:00 AM More reviews by evilwitch

I love, love, love the colorstay foundation. It looks natural, it's matte, it's not cakey, what more can a girl ask? It covers really well (medium to high), you can build it up, you can use it instead of a concealer (on the red spots, but I would not recommend to use it around your eyes instead of concealer). Now there are some little minuses. You have to work fast because it dries pretty quickly on the skin. For me the best method is using my fingers (it heats the foundation a little so it's easier to work with). If you don't use a primer (like me) and have oily spots after several hours, even if you put powder on top, you can see a bit of shine. The packaging is not the best, a pump will be great.
    I really love this foundation, for the last few weeks my skin really hates me and I have several zits, but I can cover them really well using only this foundation and a powder , so yeah I really recommend trying this foundation. At first I didn't like it because I had problems applying it, I tried brushes and a sponge, but now that I found the best way for me to apply it I really love it. And a big plus, a bottle lasts around 5-6 months used every day.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 3:38:00 AM More reviews by SapphireLily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

FINALLY! I found my HG foundation, and it's cheap too! Well, not compared to other drugstore brands, but compared to other foundations I've been buying; MAC, Smashbox, Lancome, Clinique, Bare Minerals, Dermablend, etc. I honestly wasn't expecting much from Revlon, yet alone any drugstore foundation. But this one is absolutely amazing. I'm extremely acne/clog-prone, oily, and I have enlarged/scarred pores. Miraculously, this stuff doesn't break me out nor clog my pores, as long as I remove it all at night. It somehow keeps my oily face matte ALL DAY. It doesn't make my pores or pitted scarring look worse, in fact, it makes them look a whole lot better (with a little help from my Sephora Filler primer)! It's basically full coverage; I don't need a separate concealer for random zits or anything. It doesn't transfer onto things like clothing, which my boyfriend really appreciates. When I first put it on, it literally looks like second skin! How I apply it is first, moisturize. Wait a few minutes. Prime. Wait a few minutes. Shake the bottles (I mix Buff and Sand Beige for a perfect match). Dump a little onto a small plate. Apply a thin layer at a time with a damp sponge (the ones that expand when ran under water) by patting and blending upwards, then smooth downwards. A makeup artist told me to go downwards lastly to give your face a smoother look. Then I set it with Dream Matte powder. And wala. My face looks nearly flawless, and that's saying a lot coming from a scarred face. I'm praying they never discontinue this product or change the formula. The only thing they should do to it is give it a pump! I'll keep repurchasing forever. I'm in love! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by whitray

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Amazing. Only downside is the price (a bit pricey) and package (no pump)