August 22, 2014 | 1921 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2008 1:59:00 AM More reviews by zeroxstar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love this! the first drugstore mascara that I can see myself re-buying and not longing for a better, more expensive mascara. It does compare to Diorshow as others have said, although it does take more coats to get to the same place, however, for the price, that's not bad at all. Plus, i love the rose water smell (also a diorshow copy - only a little stronger in this mascara). I think it has fast become my HG drugstore mascara!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by MadameFabulina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic! I usually use DiorShow or Definicils, but had recently watched so many reviews of this on You Tube that I decided to try it for myself. To the people that complain about the smell lasting all day and making them nauseous - uhhhh, so yeahhh, okay. Yes, there is a slight scent, but it barely lasts 5 seconds, screw all day! This does not clump, and I use 3 coats WITHOUT wiping the brush between coats. The only, ONLY thing I can fault is that I do have to use Clarins Fix Mascara over it so it doesn't smudge on my upper lids. Other than that, this is totally fab and the price is soooo right!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 8:34:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this last night as I wanted to try something from the DS that might work. The color was good, got the glam black. I noticed the scent, but really-how long does it last, and, how many of the department store brands have a fragrance of some sort? I applied according to the directions, not allowing to dry between coats. I did not have a lot of gunky build up in my lashes, and they did not look spidery. There were no flakes at the end of the day, and it was easily removed. I like a lot and may repurchase!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2008 5:18:00 PM More reviews by rdrose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UGHH I hate this mascara, I wanted something with volume!! It clumps you have to wipe you eyelashes a few times so it looks naturall, and it smears really really easy, not the normal smear for non waterproof mascara way worse! And it has such a horrible smeel to it ughh DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 11:35:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've worn this for about a week straight since purchasing, with and without curling my lashes first, and either way it's not that great of a mascara for me. It's not bad, but I like other drugstore brands like Lash Expansion or LashBlast much better. First, there is that noticeable propylene glycol / fake rose smell that stays with me literally all day. The first time I wore it I couldn't figure out what I was smelling that smelled so weird all day, and I knew it wasn't my perfume. I sniffed the tube the 2nd time I wore it and I knew that it was this mascara. I have fairly longish lashes and I prefer a less clumpier, less stiff, more lengthening and volumizing formula, that does not turn my lashes into spidery spikes. Unfortunately, this has a tendency to turn them into those such spikes. It's supposed to be a one-coat mascara, but that did not turn out to be enough. It also dries more quickly than I prefer (even faster than the Volum ExpressTurbo 7x, which is a superior product) and makes the second coat hard to pull through your lashes without clumps. I find that it doesn't lengthen as much as I would like and the volumizing/fattening effect doesn't really work because it gets clumpy and makes spikes way to fast. I like this less than I do the Great Lash in the telltale pink/green packaging. I have to use a lash comb with it (something I hardly ever have to do) to make it look right. Curling my lashes beforehand really makes very little difference. It does look ok once I get my lash comb through it, after the 2nd coat, but it's just too much work and I have many other mascaras that I like more (Lash Queen, BE Mascaras, Lash Expansion, Clinique High Impact, Volum Express Turbo 7x, Lash Blast, Diorshow Unlimited). I find that the stiffening effect and maybe something in the formula makes me want to rub my eyes at the end of the day and just get this stuff of my eyelashes. Not good. Won't repurchase but I may try to use it up. However, it won't be a go-to mascara and I won't use it when I don't have the time to fool with it or an inperfect look. This really rates about a 2.5. The color I have is Glam Black and it doesn't seem any better than any other regular black. Blackest Black in Lash Blast is a better color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 6:44:00 PM More reviews by LilMsJksn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I saw it and after reading the reviews I decided to purchase it. I think this mascara is great. I wanted to find an alternative to Full and Soft (just because I saw it on clearance at Target and feared they'd discontinue it). It thickens, it lasts all day, and I the outside makes it quite easy to find in a make up bag. It does however have an odd smell, like old school cosmetics, but who is sniffing at eye lashes???

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Gabriel679

I LOVE this mascara!!!!

I purchased this in Glam Black, hoping that is would do what DiorShow most certainly did NOT do (for me, anyway) - this product made my short, straight lashes look almost like fake lashes, they were so full and defined. Without any clumps, I might add. It didn't flake or bother my eyes, either. And the color is intense without being overly obnoxious, which I like a lot.

I did blot the wand before applying the first few times I used the product, just because I tend to get way too much on if I don't do this, but that goes with any mascara I buy.

This beats my CG Lash Blast, hands down. I will have to purchase in brown as well.

Highly recommended. Excellent product.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by sardun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was NOT impressed. It didn't thicken my lashes x9... didn't make them curl or look long. They stuck together and clumped when I tryed to curl them....so I went out and got my fave Diorshow. I should have knew better then to try this stuff. You get what you pay for... like they say.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2008 5:02:00 PM More reviews by imnotreallyadoctor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So you've probably heard a bit about the Cover Girl Lashblast by now.... everyone's raving about how it gives you much volume without any clumping. And it was alright. However, I saw this particular mascara in the drugstore which seemed to be Maybelline's answer to the Lashblast and decided to try it out. Before I get to the good (read:excellent) parts, let me just say I love the packaging; it really speaks to the teen girl in me. The tube is a bright (and admittedly gaudy) yellow with shiny purple font. The brush slides out and in really easily unlike the Lashblast. First thing I notice upon taking it out is THANK GOD IT'S NOT PLASTIC. Nothing against the stuff, but it really does nothing for my thick long lashes as a mascara wand. Maybelline promises nine times the volume with one single swipe. So I ran the brush once up my lashes from root to tip and OH MY GOD. It was so goooood. Of course it doesn't give you nine times the volume (that'd be ridiculous) but it does work amazingly well. It was like 5 coats of Lashblast = 1 coat of Collosal Volum' Express (although I must admit Cover Girl's name is a bit catchier). No clumps and it was glamourously dark (I did get it in Glam Black after all). The huge brush may not work as well on short/thin lashes, but it certainly worked for me and really added curl too. Best mascara I've tried so far, and mascara is probably the beauty item I've gotten most often. Definitely recommend this incredible product. Am waiting 'til it comes out in waterproof.

Edit: I have to point out something wierd, that since I have been buying this mascara regularly, I seem to get a different result every time. The third time I got it, it didn't do anything; it was like I had bought a defective one or something. Then I got it and it worked great again... so that's just something to note.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2008 2:47:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Bought this at my local grocery store as I noticed it was on sale for $3.50. Previously I have heard mention of it here on the boards, and never thought twice about trying it out until I saw the cheap price tag. As being a sucker for a sale, I purchased it with high hopes. In the past I tried Cover Girl's Lash Blast and really liked that mascara, but went back to my MAC Plushlash as I am set in my ways, besides I like to collect the empties for the B2M program...anyways, I figured it was time to try something new. Here goes... I like the bright yellow packaging easy to locate in my drawer of m/u. I like the size of the brush, easy to work with. I hate the product. I have thin sparse lashes, and usually upon application of the 1st coat I can tell if a mascara will work wonders for my lashes. This did absolutely nothing to enhance, volumize, lengthen, etc. My lashes looked the same as usual but darker. I applied another coat, and then another, and another. Although it did not start to clump until coat 3, my lashes still looked blah, and I gave up. This mascara is not for me, I'd rather use Lash Blast. That one delivers! Would not repurchase or use it even if it was for free. Gave it one lippie for the pckging...lol!