November 28, 2014 | 1240 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2006 3:51:00 AM More reviews by EnjoyTheSilence

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EDIT: Sadly, I had to return this foundation. I ended up developing some allergies to this after a few weeks. That doesn't mean that anyone else will, though...so I'm not changing the rating.
MY COLORING: I'm normally a NW15 in winter & NW20 in summer. My skin is cool olive. I have no pink in my skin. I have strong blue undertones with a yellow cast to the surface. No peach or orange in my skin, either. Overall, I'm sort of an ashy green, dull color (alien girl!)MY SKINTYPE: I have combination skin that is extremely acne prone. For about 5 days each month (due to menstrual cycle) I get very oily in my T-zone, along with increased breakouts. I always have at least a few small blemishes somewhere on my face; sometimes my skin goes crazy and I'll have a really bad breakout. My skin is moderately sensitive & I'll frequently have reactions/redness/itching to unknown aggressors. I usually have some mild flaking around blemishes. My skin turns over quickly, but does not release dead skin cells as fast as new ones are produced. I have to help things along w/ chemical exfoliants.HOW MY BARE SKIN LOOKS: The texture is fairly smooth 75% of the time (with just a few little bumps here & there.) However, I have lots of discoloration in the form of post-acne marks. I'm pale, but multi-racial so these marks are pretty dark. They tend to be a deep red that turns purple after a week, then eventually brown. Not pretty, and something that definitely needs to be covered. Most foundations do not cover these marks & I end up having to spot conceal each one which is tedious & time consuming.WHAT I LOOK FOR IN A FOUNDATION: I like a natural/satin finish. I don't want anything too matte or dull looking. Because my coloring is dull, I want to bring a little radiance to the surface finish. If I go too dewy, that just accentuates blemishes & T-zone oiliness, so that's not good. I'm almost 30, and fortunately have no wrinkles/lines yet, but I still look for foundations that will keep a youthful look to my skin. Too-dry or matte formulas definitely make my skin look older. I want something that stays flexible; is longwearing; looks like REAL skin; covers discolorations well; doesn't break me out; not too dry/matte; not too dewy/slippery; AND matches my coloring perfectly.STUDIO FIX FLUID REVIEW: Love it!!! I was terrified to try this. I'm still traumatized by my encounter w/ a LM Moisturizer (cystic acne galore), so was not eager to try something new all over my finally-calmed-down skin. My good friend is a MAC MA as well as a MUAer, so I trusted her when she told me I'd love this. Of course, there's no way for her to know if I'd react to it, so I still had to do a patch test.For the first few days, I wore this only on my forehead & chin (so if I was allergic, at least I wouldn't get a rash all over.) After that I applied it all over, but closely monitored how my skin was feeling/looking. It's been 9 days of wearing this all over now, and so far so good! I'm very pleased with how natural my skin looks while wearing this, as well as the long wear. The color match & coverage is great, too. I apply it with a dry, non-latex sponge. I swipe it on all over to even out skintone all over, then stipple it on where I need more coverage.FINISH: Demi-matte, satin, natural.COVERAGE: Sheer to moderate/full, depending on application tools & technique. It's a buildable foundation.TEXTURE: Silky, almost powdery in feel. It's velvety & flexible on skin once dry. It's a longwear, bonds-to-skin formula, but you have some time to blend & work with it before it sets & dries.LOOK: Natural, satin; not too dry/matte, not too shiny/dewy. Looks just a step more satin/matte than a teen or child with perfect skin (what we all want!)COLOR: I chose NW15 for myself. I find this formula to run just a bit darker than other MAC formulas, as well as a bit more yellow than I've experienced with other NW shades. NW15 will work for me in summer, whereas I usually have to go up to a NW20. If you are NC, you may find this a bit orange on your skin. If that happens, check out the NWs. For instance, if you are normally NC30, you could very well be a NW25 in this formula. You'll need to try it out on your skin before purchasing. Extremely pale, porcelain skin won't find a match in this, unfortunately. I'm quite pale, but definitely not porcelain & the palest NW shade is close to being too dark on my winter coloring. I took off a lippie for the slightly-off color designations.This foundation has a slight chemical/rubbery scent due to the volatile silicones & binders in it. It has that typical longwear/transfer-resistant foundation chemical scent that I find in Revlon Colorstay & Estee Lauder Double Wear. Doesn't bother me at all, but some may be sensitive. No perfumey scents, though.INGREDIENTS (at least for shade NW15. May vary in deeper colors): ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Octinoxate 2.50% Other: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Algae Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lethicin, Hydrogenated Lethicin, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Methoxy Amodimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Laureth-7, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Carbonate, BHT, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)] continued >>

42 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2006 7:02:00 PM More reviews by ivegotagun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so bummed! I wore this every day for over a week and today I woke up with a break out. I can confidently blame this product because it's the only thing I have changed. Plus, the powder used to break me out as well, and I'm sure they have common ingredients. Aside from this problem, it does apply well and have a nice texture after it sets. I wore the same color as I did in the powder and it looked fine. I was able to purchase a pump from a freestanding MAC store for $3. Too bad my skin just doesn't like this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2006 3:16:00 PM More reviews by carmenalita

OMG, I love this stuff. I used to be a studio fix girl(we're talking years) but I hated always having to touch up and the way it made it magnified the dry spots on my face. I just needed something w/ medium coverage to take care of redness and even out my skin. Studio Fix Fluid takes care of it all! I've been using it for a week now and was really convinced of its greatness after working NINE HOURS behind a bar, my skin still looked great. LOVE THIS!
It did go on a little yellow at first but it blends out beautifully.( I use NC30)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2006 1:26:00 AM More reviews by WutshudIDO

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of the best foundations that mac has put out so far im usually a NC20 but this time i went with a NW20 . I thought it went on very smooth, dried very fast and gave me a flawless finish.My skin did start to oil towards the end of the day and i did notice some dry spots but that could be from changing my skincare .

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2006 11:51:00 PM More reviews by retrodaze

This foundation is really fantastic! It blends easily & covers flaws beautifully. It works well as a concealer, too. Most of the shades seem a tad more yellow, which is great for the undereye area. A little goes a long way! It looks rather natural too, as I've had one or two people comment on my skin while wearing this :) I'd prefer a pump bottle, but other than that this is HG material!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2006 12:20:00 AM More reviews by clover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I waited a week before reviewing this simply because I could not find the right color for my skintone. Normally I'm an NC30, but I wear NC20 in the Select Sheer powder due to the darkening effect it tends to have during the day. With the Studio Fix Fluid, first I bought my normal NC30. Looked okay at the counter, when I got home the next day it literally went on *orange*. It looked terrible. So, I returned and the SA suggested NC20. I go home and try NC20 the next day. Literally went on yellow. By this time I'm at the end of my rope and finally get a knowledgable MA at a MAC counter to test NW25 on me. Perfect match. It's much more natural looking on my skin, and balanced with my Select Sheer NC20 pressed powder it really comes out beautifully. The MA that I spoke with told me that the colors aren't necessarily darker, they are just much "truer" (whatever that means). I *know* the shades are much darker than MAC Select or the powder Studio Fix. But I digress. Finally I found the shade for me. I was really hoping I could finally get it right because I really do love the formulation of this foundation. It goes on smooth, covers flaws like a dream, and lasts a decent amount of time (not as long as my HG Almay Amazing Lasting which has been discontinued, and not quite as long as EL Double Wear, but still at least a full 8 hours before it starts to look a little mussed). Overall I'm pretty impressed with this foundation, I'm alternating between this and EL Double Wear. I removed one lippie just because the colors are *so* hard to find a match in and I wished the foundation lasted just a *tad* longer, because sometimes I work pretty long hours. I will repurchase though. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2006 7:05:00 PM More reviews by lovermac

This has a nice finish and my skin looks flawless, but it is irritating my skin. My skin feels tight and irritated when I put this on and seems to feel worse as the day goes on. I am disappointed because this is a nice foundation otherwise. The color is hard to choose as well because they change quite a bit as they dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2006 8:46:00 PM More reviews by debkrebbie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I so wanted to love this foundation, and I did for one evening out. I thought for sure I found my holy grail. I loved the coverage and the the dewy finish. However, when I wore it to work for 9 hours I couldnt believe how oily my face was with five new pimples to boot! I DO have oily skin, but it hasnt looked this greasy in years. Im so disappointed, and am returning this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2006 4:32:00 PM More reviews by beautyglitz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the studio fix yesterday in NC37 because that is what the girl on the counter told me that matches my color..I went home and tried it on my whole face. Although it looked OK at home with inside lighting, when I went outside with a mirror my face looked orangy. I decided to return it today and got NC35 because NC30 looked too yellow on me...I still was worried about the color because it was only one stepped down from the original color I first bought, I thought maybe I will have to go with NW's instead. The girl at the counter told me to get NC35, so I told her that I might be back to exchange it..Well I will not exchange it because it seems like it is the perfect color for me. I can't believe what a difference it is from NC37 to NC35. I love the studio fix, it is great for oily skin. It is matted but very moist to put on. It is not drying at all, and you don't have to touch it up for a very long time. Its coverage is great and believe me, I have several acne that needs to be covered. What I like best of all is that it has SPF protection, and the price is cheap. I had brought Lancome foundation 6 months ago. It cost me lots of money and it didn't have an SPF protection at all, and it was matted but very drying on my face. And I have bought other foundations at drugstores that have melted off my face. Hopefully I don't have to edit this message and will continued to be happy with this foundation...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2006 1:49:00 PM More reviews by aizacity

I am an NC35 in this foundation, which I normally am in the other MAC foundations, so I got lucky there. I have oily/dry skin, I start off really dry after cleansing, but by mid day I am oily in the T-zone except for my chin which remains dry no matter what. I found that this foundation accentuated my dry areas (chin, cheeks, and around my nose) so I have to moisturize extremely well so this doesn't happen again. Other than that, I LOVE THIS FOUNDATION! It has theeee best coverage ever! I would normally have to wear concealer underneath my foundation to hide my faded acne marks, but because the coverage on this is so awesome I no longer have to do that which means less products on my face and less time doing my make-up. I wear this with MAC's P+P Skin underneath and I've tried it w/out, didn't really notice a big difference. I especially love how it controls oil. I don't have to blot as often, I can go 6 hours straight w/out touch-ups. I've been using this ever since it came out, which is almost a week now and no breakouts, thank goodness. My only wish is that it came in/with a pump, I'd buy the pump, but those aren't available at counters which is all we have in my city. I've tried other foundations which cost far more than this, and they don't even come close! I will definitely repurchase =)

EDIT: It is now February 14, 2009 (about 3 years since I first started using this foundation). After using up my first bottle of this foundation I was lured into trying other brands which were all mainly mineral foundations. But I just bought my 2nd bottle of SFF and have been wearing it daily since then. I honestly don't know why I strayed to begin with. I am still in love with this foundation as the first day I wore it. Nothing has changed. Still awesome coverage, controls my now even-more oily skin, and has not caused any breakouts. The only thing that has changed is my shade, I jumped up to NC25. I guess all that hiding from the sun is working. I will never stray again SFF! continued >>