October 22, 2014 | 1064 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by SolarTantrum

Ah May ZING!

I just .... have... no words.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Shannon1205

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After years of searching, I've finally found a mascara to replace the old L'Oreal Voluminous (pre-"improved"). It makes my lashes look really lush and long, and the lashes themselves have actually thinned over the last few years. It doesn't smudge any more or less than any other mascara (I use non-waterproof), it's inexpensive and it works!!! I love this mascara!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2008 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Kikuchijones

I admit, I fell for the ad even though I know better. I love Cover Girl's Lash Blast and thought this would be even better. I didn't like the brush, but I'm sure it's because I'm used to the Lash Blast brush, but I found the formula to be thick and it clumped my lashes. UGH! I'm going to stick to Cover Gir Lash Blast or Lancome Definicils from now on....or until I spy another cool ad!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Cosmaniac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have a million mascaras. And my routine is to pick one for the week and stick with it - then move on to something else the following week. For some reason, I keep using this one. The brush is similar to DiorShow but the consitancy of the mascara is like Chanel Inmitable. I love it. My lashs are already long and plentiful, but they need a little volume boost. This mascara is perfect for making my lashes look full, glossy and gorgeous. It stays on all day too - without smudging. I am really suprised by this drugstore diamond in the rough. Even worn on the bottom lashes, this stuff does not crumble or smear. Good work Maybelline.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Lisa1969

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I too, really love this product! It does have a strong odor at first...it smells "flowery", somewhat like "flo-nase"..however, I love it! Quite simply, even though the brush is quite large, it does a wonderful job of making lashes look nice, full and no clumping! It cleans off very easily as well. The only problem I had with the packaging is the seal at the base has come loose a couple of times giving me a mess of a blob of mascara, however putting it back in, closing and re-opening it has fixed that. Other than that, I highly recommend! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 4:26:00 AM More reviews by jessicaho

EDIT: Smudges. Grr.

OH. MY. GOD. This mascara exceeded my expectations. I believe that this will now be my new HG...

And just to let you guys know, my lashes are Asian-cursed--rather short, downward-pointing, stick-straight...in other words, a mascara nightmare.

I've been previously using Shiseido Lasting Lift Mascara to keep those stubborn babies up, but it tends to stick two or three lashes together and makes them look so sparse... So after reading all these reviews for Colossal, I decided to give this yellow-tubed wonder a try...

I curled my lashes as per usual, with my Shiseido curler and then I whipped this baby out... I was a little scared of the huge brush and afraid that because it smelled the way it did, it would sting. But I was scared of nothing! The smell goes away and this mascara volumizes, separates, lengthens... it does everything! Including curl-holding! I wore this mascara over 14 hours and it has not smudged and my lashes are still lifted up! The only problem is maybe the minor flaking--about 7 in total for both eyes by 14 hours...but that's almost negligible.

And the other great thing is that it's washable...water will get rid of a good bunch, I also went to the gym in this mascara and it was still pristine. I just finish off the leftover with Cetaphil and it cleans extremely well. No stinging either!

And to think I wasted 27.00CAD on Shiseido when I go this one that outperforms for only 6.77CAD... so... totally HG! I hope Maybelline keeps this thing around for a long time!

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by petitepoire

I've been using Urban Decay Big Fatty Lash and Prescriptives False Eyelashes Mascara interchangably for the past year. So i've been on a mission to find a good cheap mascara. and Maybelline's Colossal Volume Express isn't it. the only mascaras i've found so far that work for me are pretty much the $20 or so mascaras that you can find at Sephora or department stores. and i'm tired of spending that much money on a product i'm gonna throw out in 3 months or less anyways. so i was at Target today and i saw Maybelline's Colossal Volume Express mascara. It comes in a tube that looks similar to the regular volume express but it's fatter and NEON YELLOW. you can't even miss it. the brush is really fat. unfortunately, that fat brush didn't do anything for my lashes. i usually don't mind mascaras with a fat brush. but this brush is ridiculous. First of all, i end up with more mascara on my eyelids than my actual lashes! and the thing with me is, i do have lots of lashes but as with all the hair on my body, my lashes are very fine and a little short. so with any mascara, i have to apply several coats before i start to see any results. but with this mascara i keep applying coat after coat and nothing happens. i get a little bit of volume when i let it dry in between coats but then it starts to clump a little. if anything, it gave me length instead of volume. and to top it off... it has this awful smell. it's like a weird mix of floral and raw honey. it claims to have "volume-pumping collagen" in it and that you'll get 9x the volume in one coat. but i think i got more volume out of the regular Volum' Express than i got out of this. i say, if you see it in stores, don't let the bright yellow tube lure you in. just walk away.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by nikki415

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm sorry but this masacara is a disaster! I don't mind the smell or packaging but the formula is a clumpy mess. You must wipe the brush with a tissue before you use it. Also, it does not add any volume to my lashes at all! I was hoping that the fat bristles would thicken my lashes but that it not the case. I think Lash Blast is way better.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2008 11:02:00 PM More reviews by salsabrosa

*UPDATE*
So I find myself reaching for this mascara A LOT more often out of all the others I have. The trick is in the application. This is NOT the mascara you want to load on and keep reapplying over and over. When they say 1 coat is enough, that's exactly how it should be applied. The mascara dries VERY quickly, so more than 1 coat will not work well. It gives my lashes so much oomph! Covers every tiny hair. The secret is in doing one light coat. I'd recommend this for ladies who have naturally long lashes and are looking for some extra volume. This mascara will add length too!

I have mixed feelings about this mascara. First off, if you are expecting extreme volume or dramatic lashes, this is NOT for you.

I'd consider this mascara great for days you want a natural look. My lashes are on the longer side, and I do like that the brush picks up on a all of the small hairs, it really works through all of them. HOWEVER, the mascara formula itself will give a very natural appearance to the lashes.

NOT a good choice for a dramatic look at all, but I like using this for work or daytime, since I HATE cleaning heavy mascara up at the end of the day. This mascara washes off very easily.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Lexx13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've recently used diorshow, hypnose, lash blast and supershock-with diorshow being my favorite of all.
Colossal glam black is most comparable to diorshow black out. In fact, they give identical results. Colossal defines, gives a lot of volume in just one coat, lengthens and is a nice jet black. I don't like to use more than 2 coats though, because it can start to look really chunky and messy.
The smell is odd, but it doesn't bother me because it goes away right after I apply it.
Overall, I really like this mascara, I like the bright crazy packaging, it washes off nicely, considerably cheap.
It can be a bit messy if you don't take your time applying it.I find it to be fairly wet, which means it easily smudges if not careful. Thats why I took off a lippie.
I'm not sure if I will repurchase because there are still so many mascaras I want to try!
Pic of colossal glam black (2 coats) on right eye, compared to diorshow black out (2 coats) on left eye:
UPDATE:Taking off a lippie because since I've used it for a few weeks it has thickened and become really goopy and leaves a real clumpy mess on my lashes I always have to fix. Definitely won't repurchase.