July 30, 2014 | 2060 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by testamerluzzo

I got this in glam black and I had high hopes, but it did nothing for my lashes. It didn't make them look longer or fuller and the smell was strange. The only plus side was that it didn't clump. But with a name like colossal I was expecting a lot more. I will be sticking to lash blast.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by mikodoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I I'm a big fan of Maybelline mascara. It's the only brand I buy. I really liked the Volum' Express Turbo, so I bought this one as soon as it came out. The packaging is sort of ugly, being bright yellow but it's not like I'll be putting it on display. It really does make lashes huge with the first coat without clumping. Putting on a second coat however makes them clumpy, but the first coat is so huge that I don't need a second one. It doesn't have a natural look, but if you're wearing something called "the COLOSSAL" I don't think you should be expecting it to look that natural. I'm torn between one coat of this or using 2 coats of the Volum' Express Turbo. I would definitely recommend using this if you want huge full lashes in one coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2008 12:38:00 AM More reviews by AMANDAT89

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I think this is one of my favorite mascaras... it makes my lashes look full and long and thats what i love! i use this along with MAC plush lash and the outcome is wondeful <33 buy it if u want full lashes with no clump and dont mind the nasty smell lol

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2008 4:25:00 PM More reviews by kooksfan

i've had this for two weeks now and it's not working like it was on the first day. At first this was 10x better than lashblast because it gave me a TON of volume and length and i liked the packaging. it was THE best mascara i had ever used and i was in lurrveee. But..no more. =,[

pros (during the 1st week of use):

-AMAZING volume + length
-cute packaging
-great brush

cons:
-smelled like dead roses
-showers of black flakes on my cheeks by the end of the day
-gray tint (color isn't as intense as lashblast)

pros: (now--2 weeks later)

-packaging still is cute
-it's inexpensive

cons:

-still REEKS (the smell goes away after 30 minutes or so)
-gives me spider eyes
-no longer creates full lashes
-skinny, ugly, clumpy lashes ( i like the way my naked lashes look 49503x more than how it looks now with the colossal)
- clumps easily
-the formula dries quickly

i haven't changed application technique or how many coats i put on. I will be shipping this to Maybelline tomorrow (they pay for postage) and will be receiving a coupon in the mail for any other maybelline products.
This was fun at first and performed like magic but unless you are wasteful and are willing to buy a new tube of mascara every other week i would not recommend this.

back to trusty old Lashblast for me =D

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2008 3:42:00 PM More reviews by productwhore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really dig this mascara! I personally like the yellow pakaging because it is easy for me to find in my sea of cosmetics and reminds me of the 80's which I LOVE! Who cares about smell of mascara (reminicent of plastic roses)? It goes on your eyes! It creates soft fullness and adds a lot of length! I have little to no flaking unlike orignal Turbo Boost. I really to LOVE this mascara and actually like it better than my Dior Show (I never thought I would say that, but it's true!). Please RUN to grab a tube and try it!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2008 1:41:00 AM More reviews by rinnieover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First off, about my lashes and previous Mascara Experiences. My lashes are medium length, leaning towards short, and are pretty thick, but are horribly undefined and clump together even without mascara on, somehow... I continue to defy nature in the, uh, prettiest ways. And I go through mascara like celebrities go through hair colors... most look okay, but I'm allllways searching for the perfect one.
There are a lot of things I love about this. This mascara is great for looking natural- swoop it on and go out the door -or sit around the house looking fabulous, like me- but if you layer it, it can be very dramatic too. As an experiment I performed while ridiculously bored, I put lash blast on one eye and colossal on the other, and in the opinion of all my interviewees, colossal looked nicer, and I agree. It's quite a bit like lash blast, but it's softer, clumps less, can be used for a better natural look, and it makes lashes a little fuller than lash blast does. The Colossal's brush is much better too, big and full instead of spiny, plastic, and covered in loads of excess.
It also has a slightly less ridiculous name. (Colossal! Lash BLAST! I can't wait till Eyelash Explosion.)
And the scent. It IS pretty strong, but there are worse smells, and it fades quickly. Besides, the last person who sniffed my eyelashes was one I'd want to ward off anyway. The only problem I have is with the shade selection. Two shades of black? I wish there was a brown, and maybe a blue, too, I like this formula so much.
Overall, I'm going to keep it as my staple, and I'd recommend this versatile mascara to just about everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2008 1:11:00 AM More reviews by nati29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

very good mascara! ugly smell but who cares? i doubt anybody will sniff my lashes.....it volumizes separates curls and adds looooots of length i dont even use a curler how ever there is 1 bad thing about this mascara when you wear it people will ask you if you have falsies on! thats how good this mascara is comaparable 2 dior..... but cheaper!!!
<3 you can see how it looks on me on picture # 4 and that was just 2 coats no curler...
by the way i dont know how the hell or with what did picture number 3 apply hers with??
but its soo clumpy spider eyes..... warning do not let dry during coats =-]

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 6:05:00 PM More reviews by MiaGator

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm not a big mascara user for for nights out, this is the bottom of the barrel for me. It's *obvious* mascara, doesn't look natural at all on me. The old-style brush allows clumps of mascara to collect by the core of the brush, and as such, it goes on clumpy. While it *does* add length to the ends of the lashes, it does so in a very visually obvious way - you know it's mascara and not lash. The Lash Blast brush is far superior, but even DiorShow Blackout with it's old-school brush outdoes this product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

I was prepared to be wowed by this mascara. It was not so. While it is an okay mascara, it just didn't live up to how wonderful I thought it was going to be. Pros: cheap, decent, easy to find. Cons: just decent, packaging is a little too much. Would I repurchase? Maybe, but I still like the fullness that Voluminous imparts. Colossal made my lashes kind of "twiggy" looking - and I don't mean like Twiggy the model's lashes (I wish!), I actually mean that they kind of looked like little sticks!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 5:02:00 PM More reviews by saamannthaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this mascara a lot. And the good thing is, I was able to compare it with a higher end brand because I have a little sample of their mascara.

When I first bought this, I opened it and stuck the wand under my nose. Yep, the rose smell was there. But it didn't smell like dead roses as others have stated. That was a stupid move though, 'cause the smell stayed in my nose the whole day. The next time I didn't do it & I smelled the rosiness when applying, but when I was finished it went away.

Anyway, so I applied it. I dunno about 9x the volume in one stroke, but my eyelashes did look nice & clump free. I love the brush; its like the Full 'n Soft brush, but bigger & more separated. I was able to get my practically-not-there (I'm not kidding) bottom lashes easily also. Whoever said this is like FnS with more oomph, I agree.

This doesn't leave my eyelashes crispy like the department store mascara, and it doesn't flake or smear, like the department store mascara. It gives the same results (well, I think better), and is much more cheaper.

[edit 08/17] Yeah, so about a week ago, the little stopper thing that keeps the mascara from coming out in a glob broke or something so half my mascara came out when I opened it. I now would not repurchase & back to FnS for me!