October 21, 2014 | 922 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2006 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Kara

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wonderful foundation....very long lasting, and while my oiliness does break through, it's not nearly as bad as my usual, Nars oil-free. I blot about 2x/day. I got NC30, which is perfect with my self-tanner, but I'm going to also get NC25 for when I'm a bit paler and also to mix with the NC30.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2006 12:03:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I was excited when I heard this foundation was being released by MAC. As a big fan of the Studio Fix powder, I was eagerly awaiting a fluid counterpart, and the fact that it had SPF was attractive to me. (Although, the SA said that it protects against UVA/UVB rays, but the ingredients do not seem to correlate with this -- there is no avobenzone or titanium dioxide or any other ingredient that would indicated full spectrum protection. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

Anyway, that aside, I got the NC20, which is a pretty good match for my PPP/LLL skin, although I do notice that the drydown is a tad bit more yellow than my natural skintone is. I've used other MAC foundations in the past, and have never noticed than an NC was too yellow. I think some other girls had problems with colors as well, so this may be a consideration when you purchase. (ie. I wouldn't recommend purchasing online or sight-unseen.)

I apply this with my fingers because I'm too lazy to use a brush, but a foundation brush would probably yield a great finish, too. It has medium coverage, and I can build it without having it look cakey or thick. I didn't have to use concealer on my undereye circles when I used this foundation.

The texture is quite light-weight, almost moussey. Compared to Chanel's Pro-Lumiere, which gives the same level of coverage, the Studio Fix Fluid is lighter in texture and seems to blend a bit better into the skin.

The finish is a demi-matte, I would say. It's not full-on matte, like the effect you would get with a powder, but it definitely does not give a dewy finish like a tinted moisturizer would. It's quite polished looking, and I would think would be great for photographs.

As far as the lasting power is concerned, it's incredible! I've tried this with and without MAC's Prep + Prime Face, and either way, this stuff has good lasting power. I didn't have any oily breakthroughs on my nose (which I usually have with foundation.)

I did take off one lippie because the container is heavy (glass) and messy (need to buy a pump), and there is the SPF factor for me, but overall, I would repurchase if I ever ran out. (I use foundation quite sparingly, so I'm sure I'll have this stuff until it expires!)

EDITED 3.31.06: This stuff broke me out!!! I never get pimples, and this gave me clogged pores all over my T-Zone! I returned it today!
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2006 1:37:00 AM More reviews by Trax7

I love Studio Fix Fluid!! It's very mattifying (right away, so blend quickly!) and it stays put all day. I blot probably 3 times a day, just in my t-zone area. This beats all of MAC's other foundations for me; I also have Full Coverage, Select SPF 15, and Hyper Real (which I love for a glowy look) but I haven't used Full Coverage or Select since I've bought Studio Fix Fluid. It's definitely a must have :) But whatever you do, don't order online because the coloring is slighty off, I'm usually an NC20 in all my foundations/concealors/powders, but in Studio Fix Fluid I'm a NW20, NC was way too yellow. And I've heard this from a lot of other girls sayig they had to get a different color than their usual.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2006 2:17:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation! I've tried several MAC foundations in the past, but most of them still got shiny in my t-zone even with a primer but this takes the cake for my normal/combo skin. It looks natural matte, not flat, and stays that way better than most any other foundation I've tried. I top it off with a dusting of Blot Loose (or Pro Set ~ they're almost identical) and I'm good to go with less touchups or blotting than before.
Colour matching can be a little bit of a hassle, but worth the time to get a good match. I've been matched as a C3 with Studio Fix powder and in Hyper Real the NC300 works well (though I do find it just a bit too 'shiny') but in Studio Fix Fluid I ended up with NC37. NC30 actually looked darker and a bit more 'olive' and NC35 has a nearly imperceptible stronger yellow tone than the NC37 (which has what looks to me a hair more peachy than yellow tone than NC35, but *very* subtle!!) Even the MA agreed the NC30 looked darker than NC37. The store has great window lighting btw... It seems to be a great match and in natural lighting looks the right shade. I might even try the NC30 in the summer (or try a sample).
I'm really pleased also at how natural this looks, particularly after a light buffing. I've read the the #116 works well to apply and it does! I've also buffed with a kabuki after applying and it's awesome but even without a brush, the finish is beautiful.
Wow, I've been knocked out of my rut! I didn't expect to love this so much but I do! Thanks MAC!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2006 9:31:00 AM More reviews by mjacqueline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG foundation! I have super oily skin and this stays matt on me for hours. You have to use this with the Loose Blot Powder. The combination is awesome for oily skinned people like myself. The coverage is medium to full, it evened up my skin tom\ne and covered my acne scars.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2006 5:17:00 PM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Been wearing this in NW20 for about 2 weeks and am very pleased! I have been a PX Virtual Matte user for a long time in Fresh Champagne and I think this foundation in NW20 looks more natural. A co-worker told me I looked "warmer" - hmmm, did I look cold before? Who knows but so far so good. I'm 43, still extremely oily in the t-zone area with cystic acne a couple days each month (see girls, as you get older the whole skin thing doesn't get any better). I use Bliss Mattifier Gel underneath this foundation and have had good luck so far with it, when it runs out however I will try Mac Prep & Prime for faces. I have to blot about noontime and use a little powder mid-afternoon just on my t-zone. Will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2006 3:18:00 PM More reviews by aznbebebabe

Well, I was not wanting another foundation, since I already have 10+ foundations at home. But when I browsed the MAC counter, I was curious about this new product. I have never liked any MAC foundations or their famous Studio FIx powder foundation. I was never able to find a color that matched me at all. The studio fix powder was just way too heavy on the skin for me. But alas, I tried this foundation, and wow. It really covers. My skin is pretty decent right now, but this just made it look so smooth and completely poreless. My color was NW25, which was surprising, since I am usually a NC, but reading from previous posters, this was normal. I am wearing it kinda thinned out, since I dont need much coverage right now. However, it is very buildable in coverage. I am pretty sure this can be full coverage if applied correctly and with the right tools( a foundation brush). Overall, I am happy with this foundation. It does have a lot of silicones in it. If you dont mind that, I think you will be happy with this foundation. I wouldnt recommend this for extremely dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2006 3:51:00 AM More reviews by EnjoyTheSilence

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EDIT: Sadly, I had to return this foundation. I ended up developing some allergies to this after a few weeks. That doesn't mean that anyone else will, though...so I'm not changing the rating.
MY COLORING: I'm normally a NW15 in winter & NW20 in summer. My skin is cool olive. I have no pink in my skin. I have strong blue undertones with a yellow cast to the surface. No peach or orange in my skin, either. Overall, I'm sort of an ashy green, dull color (alien girl!)MY SKINTYPE: I have combination skin that is extremely acne prone. For about 5 days each month (due to menstrual cycle) I get very oily in my T-zone, along with increased breakouts. I always have at least a few small blemishes somewhere on my face; sometimes my skin goes crazy and I'll have a really bad breakout. My skin is moderately sensitive & I'll frequently have reactions/redness/itching to unknown aggressors. I usually have some mild flaking around blemishes. My skin turns over quickly, but does not release dead skin cells as fast as new ones are produced. I have to help things along w/ chemical exfoliants.HOW MY BARE SKIN LOOKS: The texture is fairly smooth 75% of the time (with just a few little bumps here & there.) However, I have lots of discoloration in the form of post-acne marks. I'm pale, but multi-racial so these marks are pretty dark. They tend to be a deep red that turns purple after a week, then eventually brown. Not pretty, and something that definitely needs to be covered. Most foundations do not cover these marks & I end up having to spot conceal each one which is tedious & time consuming.WHAT I LOOK FOR IN A FOUNDATION: I like a natural/satin finish. I don't want anything too matte or dull looking. Because my coloring is dull, I want to bring a little radiance to the surface finish. If I go too dewy, that just accentuates blemishes & T-zone oiliness, so that's not good. I'm almost 30, and fortunately have no wrinkles/lines yet, but I still look for foundations that will keep a youthful look to my skin. Too-dry or matte formulas definitely make my skin look older. I want something that stays flexible; is longwearing; looks like REAL skin; covers discolorations well; doesn't break me out; not too dry/matte; not too dewy/slippery; AND matches my coloring perfectly.STUDIO FIX FLUID REVIEW: Love it!!! I was terrified to try this. I'm still traumatized by my encounter w/ a LM Moisturizer (cystic acne galore), so was not eager to try something new all over my finally-calmed-down skin. My good friend is a MAC MA as well as a MUAer, so I trusted her when she told me I'd love this. Of course, there's no way for her to know if I'd react to it, so I still had to do a patch test.For the first few days, I wore this only on my forehead & chin (so if I was allergic, at least I wouldn't get a rash all over.) After that I applied it all over, but closely monitored how my skin was feeling/looking. It's been 9 days of wearing this all over now, and so far so good! I'm very pleased with how natural my skin looks while wearing this, as well as the long wear. The color match & coverage is great, too. I apply it with a dry, non-latex sponge. I swipe it on all over to even out skintone all over, then stipple it on where I need more coverage.FINISH: Demi-matte, satin, natural.COVERAGE: Sheer to moderate/full, depending on application tools & technique. It's a buildable foundation.TEXTURE: Silky, almost powdery in feel. It's velvety & flexible on skin once dry. It's a longwear, bonds-to-skin formula, but you have some time to blend & work with it before it sets & dries.LOOK: Natural, satin; not too dry/matte, not too shiny/dewy. Looks just a step more satin/matte than a teen or child with perfect skin (what we all want!)COLOR: I chose NW15 for myself. I find this formula to run just a bit darker than other MAC formulas, as well as a bit more yellow than I've experienced with other NW shades. NW15 will work for me in summer, whereas I usually have to go up to a NW20. If you are NC, you may find this a bit orange on your skin. If that happens, check out the NWs. For instance, if you are normally NC30, you could very well be a NW25 in this formula. You'll need to try it out on your skin before purchasing. Extremely pale, porcelain skin won't find a match in this, unfortunately. I'm quite pale, but definitely not porcelain & the palest NW shade is close to being too dark on my winter coloring. I took off a lippie for the slightly-off color designations.This foundation has a slight chemical/rubbery scent due to the volatile silicones & binders in it. It has that typical longwear/transfer-resistant foundation chemical scent that I find in Revlon Colorstay & Estee Lauder Double Wear. Doesn't bother me at all, but some may be sensitive. No perfumey scents, though.INGREDIENTS (at least for shade NW15. May vary in deeper colors): ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Octinoxate 2.50% Other: Water/Aqua/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Algae Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lethicin, Hydrogenated Lethicin, Xanthan Gum, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Methoxy Amodimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Laureth-7, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Carbonate, BHT, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288)] continued >>

41 out of 43 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2006 7:02:00 PM More reviews by ivegotagun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so bummed! I wore this every day for over a week and today I woke up with a break out. I can confidently blame this product because it's the only thing I have changed. Plus, the powder used to break me out as well, and I'm sure they have common ingredients. Aside from this problem, it does apply well and have a nice texture after it sets. I wore the same color as I did in the powder and it looked fine. I was able to purchase a pump from a freestanding MAC store for $3. Too bad my skin just doesn't like this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2006 3:16:00 PM More reviews by carmenalita

OMG, I love this stuff. I used to be a studio fix girl(we're talking years) but I hated always having to touch up and the way it made it magnified the dry spots on my face. I just needed something w/ medium coverage to take care of redness and even out my skin. Studio Fix Fluid takes care of it all! I've been using it for a week now and was really convinced of its greatness after working NINE HOURS behind a bar, my skin still looked great. LOVE THIS!
It did go on a little yellow at first but it blends out beautifully.( I use NC30)