August 29, 2014 | 1818 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2008 2:23:00 PM More reviews by thelmalu99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE!!! I think I may have finally found my HG mascara. I have been searching for years, while sticking with my basic (and cheap!) Great Lash because I couldn't find something I liked better.

What I love about Colossal:
- One coat really does give me longer, fuller, more gorgeous lashes with NO clumps. None at all! My lashes are naturally black and long, but this gives them the wow factor I have been looking for, while looking very natural. No Tammy Faye lashes here!
- It builds beautifully. Two coats give me a more dramatic look, while still keeping clumps to a minimum. (second coat does clump a little, but nothing crazy.)
- Lashes stay soft. No crunch!! I love that!
- Fat brush gets every last lash, even the teeny ones on my lower lid.
- Mascara stays put all day; no smudging.

All this in an inexpensive drug store brand. And I thought I was asking for too much.

Edit: Apparently I was expecting too much, because this stuff dried up in the tube after not even two weeks. No, I didn't leave the tube open. It got all clumpy and impossible to apply. It was good while it lasted, but if I have to throw more than half of the product away, it's no good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2008 11:36:00 PM More reviews by laracole

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a pretty good mascara for my thin, average semi straight lashes. I didn't curl my lashes and put this on and POW. I've never had fake looking lashes from 1 coat of mascara before. I really like how it darkened the base of my lashes which I could only do before with eyeliner. One thing to watch out for is the SMELL when you first open the tube... i DOES smell like roses (but not in a good way). I knew it smelled familiar! But its honestly not bad and it fades fast.

I got this in glam black, because I assumed it was just a darker than basic black. I assumed right. Usually "black" mascaras aren't dark enough for me (naturally black hair) but the color of this is nice and dark. I like it SO much better than lashblast, which brush was too big and awkward. The brush on this one is nice and full, but not too huge for my asian-ish eyes.

But this stuff can look spidery if you apply to heavy, hence the 4 lippies, because it dries pretty fast, but not hard (my lashes are still soft). I remedy this by taking a medium to stiff toothbrush (new, or course, just get a cheap one), and brushing the clumps out of my lashes. Usually this would result in full but natural looking lashes with my other mascara (Full n Soft), but with this I get thick fake looking ones that are nicely clump free. This is a keeper, I was less than 4 dollars (40% off). I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise as it looks so gimmicky (like lashblast). Will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2008 2:48:00 PM More reviews by de5thelement

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It has no clumps which is a plus but its not giving me that UMPH look.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2008 12:47:00 AM More reviews by rallu

i wipe the brush with a tissue before i use it and it still gets clumpy. Maybe it gives me a little volume but in a spider legs ugly way , no lenght and makes my lashes look straight 5 min after curling.I threw it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2008 4:36:00 PM More reviews by vspindler

This is going to be my mascara for some time! I have skimpy lashes that are not very long and this mascara does the trick. Makes my lashes look longer so much that my husband of thirty years even noticed! I don't even have to curl my lashes with this product. As far as the smell, it was a little strong when I first open the tube but now I hardly even notice it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2008 12:31:00 PM More reviews by charmandluck

I bought this yesterday, and I DONT see the whole dead rose thing. it goes away in minutes. I don't see huge,thick lashes, but its a great product.

EDIT: now, i smell the dead rose..
but it does go away!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2008 1:12:00 PM More reviews by MissPrincess88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 2: I was so upset about the packaging "malfunction" that I switched back to the Volum Express Turbo. I noticed that it clumped much more, and just didn't look as good as the Colossal. So, I went out and bought another Colossal, the product worked wonderfully and no mishaps with the "filter". I've bought 2 since and will continue to do so, so long as they don't fall apart.
While all "no clump" mascaras that I've ever tried, have clumped pretty easily, I was pleasantly surprised that this one did not. With a couple swipes you can get a natural look, or build up many coats for a more glam look. Before this one I would use the Volum Express Turbo or the Great Lash. While both of those were okay...I never new what I was missing out on til i found it! The brush to the Colossal is thick with very skinny bristles to prevent build up and clumping. The "fake rose" smell is actually appealing in to me in some weird way. This mascara is awesome!!!
Update: This WAS a great mascara...until the little "filter" thingy came out. As far as I can see, that has been happening to quite a few people. Once it came out, I "rigged it", but it was never the same. It got all dry and clumpy. I never had that problem with any mascara, even maybelline. Will NOT buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2008 5:06:00 AM More reviews by Yazzilicous

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well I saw it at a local grocery store and noticed it right away with it's bright color packaging. Plus it was new, so they had stacks of them. I'm familiar with the Volum' Express turbo boost so I thought I would enjoy this one as well...especially since it's more volume than the last! I went home first to check out the reviews and defiantly knew I had to try it myself. This baby works like magic just the first stroke ;) Extends your eyelashes like crazy, amazingly beautiful I tell ya. One stitch though, it does kinda stink :( Didn't know it'd be as bad I thought but it's still really ok. The smell goes away when you apply it on, hardly noticeable. Surely wouldn't change my mind off of wanting to use this mascara! But I had to take one lippie off for the smell though. The packaging is awesome, love the neon yellow and purple! The brush is wonderfully thick and great. Well, it's self explanatory...a great mascara!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2008 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Twebber69

I really liked this mascara. It stayed on all day, didnt smudge and i was very satisfied. i will definately buy colossal again

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2008 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Gillian166

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this mascara because I love the Volum Express Turbo Boost and thought - if this has an even bigger brush, it will work even better!!

Unfortunately I was wrong. The actual product itself DID make my lashes look good. But it was the smell that made it unusable.

I usually like the smell of mascara - that clean almost soily smell - but this smelled like it almost had perfume added to it! I used it once and could still smell it hours later! I thought I must be imagining it, so I didn't use it for a few days, and then tried it again. Sure enough, I could STILL smell it after about 1.5 hours.

I called Maybelline and told them and they are sending me a coupon for any mascara of my choice. I'm disappointed, and won't be buying this again.