Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

I just upped this from 4 lippies to 5 after the compliments I received about my lashes yesterday. An aquaintance told me she was jealous of my naturally perfect eyelashes and my boyfriend out of the blue described them as "ridiculous" (this is a good thing). I was so focused on looking for volume from this mascara that I didn't notice the length it gave me. I think this was $7.99 well spent!

on 9/2/2008 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This mascara was such a disappointment for me. So many people seem to like it, so I was hoping that I would too, but I don't even think that I will be able to finish the tube I have (I can't even imagine living with this for three months).

Pros: This did give me dramatic lashes, very thick, lush, and sexy. Also, this seems to hold a curl well, which is important to me since my fine eyelashes are usually pretty curl-challenged.

Cons: This stuff smells! I know everyone talks about it on here, and I knew this going in, but I still can't stand it. Yes, the smell does fade somewhat (from awful to icky), but I can still smell it on my lashes an hour after I've applied it and it kind of makes my eyes tingle. Finally, this stuff flakes, which I have little tolerance for. It doesn't seem to matter if I apply just one coat, or many; this mascara seems very brittle and just normal blinking makes little pieces flake off. At least I didn't pay very much for this. $6 for a bad experience and a lesson learned.

on 8/30/2008 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This was just like DiorShow. However, I did not like Dior either. This was too wet! So wet that it didn't hold my curled eyelashes. It never felt dry to the touch. It smeared so bad that it gave me raccon eyes within a hour of wear. Not to mention it made them itch too. Sadly my search continues and this will be returned to the store.

I love this mascara. I have been using it for going out at night, because I think that it can be a bit too much on me for the daytime. I like a more conservative mascara for work. This stuff is great for a dramatic look. I have medium to long, dark lashes, and I love mascara that really coats my lashes to the point of looking fake and Colossal definitely does that.

As other people have mentioned, it does smell terrible, but it only lasts a second. I could care less about smell as long as the product works and this does! I usually do two coats. The first coat tends to go on a little clumpy, as the formula is very thick (that's how I like it!). It just takes working the brush a little to prevent the clumps. It gives me super thick, dark lashes that really look too good to be true!

It holds up well, and I haven't had any problems with flaking or smudging. I think the fat brush gives me a great application, but you do have to be very careful not to hit your eye with the brush because it is so large, it can be hard to maneuver. Overall a great buy, and I will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

It's a good mascara for everyday use, nothing colossal though. It thickens and lengthens lashes without the clumps, but in my opinion looks best with a lot of eyeliner or shadow (it wouldn't be very noticeable otherwise). Probably my HG mascara for the moment.

on 8/30/2008 12:55:00 PM

1. It smells terrible.
2. DOES NOTHING for lashes. I have mid length/ normal thickness dark blonde/ light brown eyelashes and it actually made my lashes look WORSE than they did without mascara!
3. I got nothing but clumps, even when i wiped the wand off with a tissue.
4. No length. None. period.
5. Two slight coats gave spider lashes. and no, I didn't wait in between coats to let it dry.
6. Flakes off.
7. made my lashes feel crispy.
8. had a weird metallic sheen.
9. smudges like a raccoon.

I am so shocked to see that so many people like this mascara. I hated this mascara and warned all my girlfriend against its cute yellow and purple packaging. I will stick with Maybelline's Full and soft and Max Factors 2000 calorie instead.

on 8/30/2008 12:10:00 AM

I bought the waterproof one in the darkest black I could find, and this is now my HG drugstore mascara! This makes my eyelashes actually STAND OUT, and I have short asian eyelashes. Does not smudge, flake, and stays put for the whole day. The brush is big and fat, very similar to the Diorshow brush and really gets all your lashes. The mascara does have a scent to it, which from what I understand is the collagen at work.

on 8/28/2008 11:31:00 PM

EDIT: *****I know everyone has been complaining about the smell. Well, today I bought a face cream that has collagen in it. It smells EXACTLY THE SAME. That dead roses smell. It has to be the collagen that stinks....*****

This is the best mascara that I have ever used!
I got it at Walgreens in "Glam Black".
The day I tried it, my grandma even asked me if I was wearing false eyelashes. The volume and thickness I got was amazing!
The price is definately reasonable for the product.
I really like the bright yellow and purple tube (it's what caught my eye) and the shape of the brush.
The only complaint I have is the odd flowery smell. besides that, I will *definately* buy this again when I run out.

on 8/28/2008 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am ALWAYS up to trying new mascaras, and I love the Volum' Express "Turbo" mascara, but I felt like the huge bristles and clumpy formula of the "Colossal" did nothing beneficial for my ultra blonde fine and thin lashes. Using it on the top lashes, I found that after a few hours it started flaking off, and not only in flakes, but in big ol' clumps. Using it on the bottom lashes - what a joke! The brush is so big, I could barely even get it to touch my bottoms without smearing and blackness all over my entire eye. Will not buy this product again, but would suggest it to those who like volume and dark coloring on their (already long, thick and dark) lashes for a short amount of time.

on 8/28/2008 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought it because of the packaging. Big fat a yellow! Yes! I honestly didn't expect it to be so great. It made my lashes all thick and lush and didn't transfer onto my lid or flake off. I love seeing that big fat yellow thing in my makeup bag.