July 28, 2014 | 1687 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2006 4:30:00 AM More reviews by awful_cherry

Generally I would wait a bit before reviewing a foundation to make sure it didn't break me out, but I know there's a lot of hype about this and a lot of people are wanting reviews so I'll do one :)

I love this. I've only worn it twice so far but I really love it. It's very smooth, it doesn't make me flake like liquid foundations tend to do. I've been trying to use powder foundations instead but can never get smooth, even coverage. I was actually at MAC to try to find a primer to make my Clinique perfectly real powder foundation go on smoother and tried this on a whim, and the Clinique is definitely going to be returned. MAC has the best color match I've found in foundation -- NW 20 -- everything else is always too yellow or orange for me. It's been years since I've used a MAC foundation but I'm the same color in this as I am in both MAC concealers I've bought recently and the color has stayed true on me more so than most other foundations do. Used over moisturizer, the finish is matte but not overly or unnaturally so. My one gripe is the packaging -- I don't like that you have to pay extra to buy the pump; MAC isn't expensive but it's enough that you should get decent packaging for your money rather than having to buy it seperately. Unless my skin changes drastically (as it's been prone to do), I could see this being the first foundation that I ever repurchase.

Update: The more I use this the more I love it. I'm really not sure why I was so obsessed with finding a powder foundation that worked, this is perfect. The "buildable" coverage is actually buildable, I've never seen it work without caking before. I apply a very tiny bit all over my face, then another thin layer over my cheeks where my acne marks are, cover up the worst ones with studio finish concealer, and use the studio touch up stick during the day for (duh) touchups. I have neither broken out nor had it dry my skin out. It's a very matte finish, my skin (normal in oil level but breakout prone) doesn't even need a powder with it, but it's not powdery looking like maybelline pure or the clinique perfectly real. Of all the foundations people are making a big deal of right now, this is the only one I consider worthy of its hype.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2006 6:45:00 PM More reviews by absolut_blonde

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh, wow. I LOVE this. It's everything I was hoping for. *This* is what I'd wanted LM Oil-Free (which I was majorly disappointed in) to be like! The coverage is AMAZING; covers red or uneven patches perfectly, but still looks natural.
About the colour thing-- I'm NC15 and it was a great match for me. Maybe the NW line runs darker? Seems most people who've had trouble were NW. I'm really fair but NC15 was perfect, even in natural light (I scruntinized it in bright daylight just to be sure!). Even after several hours of wear, this hasn't oxidised at all on me, either-- unlike the Select SPF foundation. I've been wearing this with the Loose Blot, so I'm not sure if that might help prevent the oxidization.
At any rate, I've been using a sample of this but I will definitely purchase this soon. It seems like it will last a long time, too, since it's very pigmented and a little bit goes a long way. I'm going to try it mixed with Strobe Cream next for a dewier look. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2006 1:40:00 PM More reviews by mniehle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am thinking that so far I like this foundation better than my prior Select Spf 15 foundation for my combo/oily skin. I don't need very much foundation, since my skin is very even to begin with, so I find that I am still playing around with how much to use, if anyone has any suggestions on this, please write me. Like other reviewers mentioned, I too had to go down half a shade in this foundation from NC30 to NC25. It is so important to get help with a shade before purchasing this product. I believe this foundation dries down darker on people only with oily/combo skin. So far I believe I would repurchase this product. Edit: 3/20/2006 OK, I thought I was hating this and that it was too thick, but I realized it was the moisturizer I was using under it. I tried it with MACs Oil Control Lotion and now it feels like it did again when I had no moisturizer on underneath. I also DO NOT like applying this with the foundation brush. If I apply this with the #187 brush I can put on a much sheerer amout for minimal coverage. All in all a good product, just a lot work to learn how to use this so it works for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2006 5:03:00 PM More reviews by glamerpuss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the best foundation I have ever tried. I wear an NW20 in Studio Fix Fluid as well as the others so I don't understand how people can say it's running dark. Like any formulation - skin type and prep may alter the colour a bit. The key to this foundation is only applying a LITTLE bit. Start in the middle of your face with a tiny amount and blend outwards. Don't cover your whole face like you would normally - it's a beautiful finish and looks more natural. Some people may want (or need) to cover their whole face and they can, but the trick is still to use a tiny amount - a little goes a very long way. Perhaps if someone is using their regular colour and applying too much it may look unnatural and a lighter colour feels better. If applied sparingly, you should be ok with your natural colour. A definite repurchase!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2006 3:08:00 PM More reviews by muakitten

I'm REALLY disappointed that Studio Fix Fluid runs so dark. It's horrible! As a PPP, the lightest shade (NW15) is a perfect match for me in Studio Fix Powder and all the concealers, so I don't understand why MAC is making Studio Fix Fluid darker. I was counting on this oil-free foundation to be my new favorite. But I'm just going to tell myself that I would have hated it had it matched well, since I'm not really a fan of super-matte finishes, and based on the other reviews it's extremely matte. Hope this review helps some of my fellow PPP's.

In response to member glamerpuss, who reviewed this above: I did not cake on this foundation. A MAC MA applied this very sparingly on me with a foundation brush. Even she said the shades are running really dark in this formula. I want to warn anyone who is pale enough to wear NW15 like myself that Studio Fix Fluid will be too dark in that shade. And NC15 won't work either, because it's too yellow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2006 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Ilse333

This is nothing short of a godsend to someone like me, with combo skin that tends to eat all makeup within hours, especially in my warm Arizona climate. It's easily the best MAC foundation I've ever tried, and definitely one of my top foundations ever. It gives my combo skin a matte, velvety finish with excellent coverage; it also provides a good base for my cream blushes, which normally slide right off me. Though this has a reputation for being dodgy with color, I'm an NC30 who is wearing this just fine in NC30. Excellent foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2006 3:10:00 AM More reviews by sana_j

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an okay foundation. It provides better coverage than other mac foundations and it did not make my sensitive skin itch as the night wore on. I am normally a c40-nc42 and the MA matched me with nc44 because she thought nc42 was too pale. it didnt dry down too dark on me. the coverage is just medium, and i definitely prefer my lsf to this, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the matte finish. But overall this is a good foundation with decent coverage, and it lasts longer than studio tech or their moisturizing one.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2006 12:36:00 AM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

coverage wise...its pretty nice...control oils very well.....i was pissed when they didnt have the C range but the SA told me the NC's r uber yellow....my current winter skin is a C3 and NC30 matches me perfectly...i prefer this over studio fix for coverage and doesnt oxidize on me! this is the ONLY mac foundation i like! (but still wont beat my cinema secrets foundation) *update* much happier w/ revlon colorstay

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2006 7:04:00 PM More reviews by sushiiflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

GGG - C40 - Brown Hair - Brown Eyes

I got a sample of this from my MA. I normally wear C40 in the Studio Fix powder and I wasn't sure what would match my yellow/olive undertones since Studio Fix Fluid doesn't come in C. He gave me NC44, which is a tad bit too orangey, I may have to go back and get a lighter color. I placed this on my jawline to compare and with natural light, the area looks very smooth and natural minus the slight orange tinge. And to be honest, I hate liquid foundations with a passion. But I found the texture to be smooth, light and airy. Almost like Select Tint (which I absolutely love). The coverage is velvetly smooth and not cakey, one of my biggest fears in trying out liquid foundation. Unfortunately, I agree with the reviewer below, it does dry darker than you expect. I still have to return to the counter to find a match, but I am not sure if there will be one. I am pretty sad about it because it's hard enough trying to match my undertones. MAC -- Please make this in C shades!!! If I don't find a match, then I obviously will not buy the full size and will resign to using my Studio Fix powder with Fix+ on top.

C Shade girlies, Try before you buy! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2006 3:24:00 PM More reviews by dusty

This foundation runs slightly dark as it dries down. I normally wear NW25 & NW20 works very well for me in the SFF. It has good coverage, matte finish, lasts all day (I have combo/oily skin) on me & has not made me break out. When applied with the Mac #187 brush it just makes my skin look really pretty & natural. I do use Mac Blot Powder over it, but then I don't have to blot or re-powder during the day. I can use any Mac foundation, except for Face & Body & I think this will be my favorite. For a while, anyway. It's $24.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No