December 22, 2014 | 1778 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2008 9:01:00 AM More reviews by vero32

Am I the only one who deosn't mind the smell? I actually have to stick my nose right to the tube to be able to smell it, oh well, moving on...

I got this at my local pharmacy for only $2.99!!!!!!!!
I think it's a pretty good mascara, I generally have good things to say about maybelline mascara and this time is no different. This gives me a semi dramatic look with 2-3 coats, which is fine for daytime. I never curl my lashes but I'm willing to bet my lashes would look fantastic with this mascara if they were curled beforehand. I also like the brush, I honestly was getting tired of all those rubber/plastic brushes..so I'm glad that this has a normal bristle brush. Not an awesome mascara, I still haven't found my HG, but a good mascara none the less. (ESPECIALLY FOR $2.99! LOL!)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2008 3:27:00 AM More reviews by SharmElSheyk

I bought this in the color "Glam Black." The color seems darker than regular black; it looked too fake. It irritated my eyes badly. Not to mention whatever is in the formula smells like poison. I didn't see any volume; it mostly took the curl out of my lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 3:14:00 AM More reviews by annaalways

I LOVE this mascara! It makes my short, stick-straight Asian lashes long and lush. It gives enough volume to make my lashes noticeable. But it's not too much volume to make me look like Tammy Faye. I don't find the brush difficult to work with at all. I do put on several coats, going back and worth from one eye to another to allow some drying time. That helps the volume even more. Best of all, it does not smudge! I have such oily skin that everything pretty much smudges. I have been using Shiseido's Lasting Lift mascara but it's so hard to take off at the end of the day. This mascara just washes off so well with a regular cleanser. Love love love! And the dirt cheap drug store price makes it even better. Definitely HG for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2008 7:27:00 PM More reviews by Valoria

I think it creates more length than volume for me. It's true that it does smell kind of bad at first. I think the other Mabyelline mascaras work just as well tho. I've used the XXL previously. I like it, but will probably try something else next to see if there's anything better.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by kgreene938

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

WHERE IS THE VOLUME!?

It wilted my curl, has a decent color, smell, and packaging, but - for a supposedly "volumizing" mascara, it did even less than some lenthening mascaras have done! I'm v. disappointed. My regular Volum' Express Waterproof gives me more, and I'll be going back to that and the Turbo version.

EDIT:
Dear Colossol Volum' Express,
I'm sorry. I judged you too harshly, and for that I apologize. You still don't give me the volume I'd like, but after putting on about 6 layers of you, I got decent lash drama. I may repurchase you if I don't find something else, and I hope you'll take me back, if it comes to that.

EDIT 2:
Dear CVE,
I tried you in Glam Black. Have you reformulated? I find myself a tad spidery and not at all impressive. Fix thyself!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2008 10:30:00 PM More reviews by zbrittanyc

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay first off, this packaging is gorgeous (but of course it is, maybelline made the super-cute define-a-lash!). But this product is not only presented well it works! I've never used a mascara that made my lashes look so thick AND defined with just enough lengthening. And after I use it there's no heaviness. It feels like I've only applied 1 and a half coats of great lash. The brush doesn't have scarcely any clumps which I was suprised since it wasn't a rubber bristled wand. But this so far is my HG mascara, which is great because it's so affordable. I can't wait for the waterproof!

P.S. The smell is kinda bleh, but it goes away in like 2 seconds so who cares!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2008 1:24:00 PM More reviews by missdaisy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm not really impressed with this mascara. On the one hand, it's better than Lash Blast, which flakes like crazy and clumps my lashes into a big spiderlegy mess. Colossal, on the other hand, doesn't clump as much, it doesn't flake at all and makes my lashes look thicker and fuller. The problem is the the amount of product on the brush. The tube doesn't control the product amount properly, so you have to wipe the brush on a tissue before applying and even then, you have to be careful not to over apply and wind up with clumps. Hopefully, Maybelline will fix the tube to prevent this in the future, because I think if you were able to control the amount of product better, you would get a smoother application. Oh, and the smell - yes, it's a little overwhelming at first, but it only lasts a few seconds and then evaporates. Overall, a decent drugstore choice for thick glam lashes, but nowhere near HG status.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2008 5:48:00 PM More reviews by freakshow3332

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this mascara!! the brush is a bit thick but after a few while i got use to it. as for the smell its not that strong and after a few secs you cant even notice the smell anymore. i have tiny tiny and thin eyelashes and this product makes them look WOW and HUGE!

P.S I love the packaging, the neon yellow with the purple is so cute.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2008 5:15:00 PM More reviews by nowornever56

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, of course i had to try this stuff after all of the hype. Last time MUA hype led me to Lash Blast, which I fell in love with. This stuff, I also like, but not as much. The brush is hard to get used to, and once you actually use it, it gives great long, defined lashes, however, zero volume really. The way I find it best is to use it with another mascara, like over one with more volume, and that way it totally de-clumps everything (this stuff is basically clump proof) and adds a little length.

But, the worst part... THE SMELL. It's horrible old lady perfume and it's STRONG. I am usually not smell sensitive, but this stuff is awful to the point it makes my eyes water, which is not good for putting on mascara. Also, i wear contacts, so I dont know if that makes a difference. My eyes will continue to water all day too... which sucks. I like the actual mascara, so maybe the smell will go away after a while, I have only had my tube for about a week.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by jln7124

This mascara was just okay for me. I am addicted to Diorshow but hate the $20 price tag. I read the reviews on here and figured for $6 I'd give it a try. It definitely made my lashes look thicker and longer vs. with out mascara but I really like my lashes to stand out and pop and this didn't do the trick. It was too subtle for my taste and I won't repurchase. UPDATE: After a couple more weeks of use this mascara has grown on me! It is actually much more buildable then I originally thought and doesn't flake off or clump with multiple applications. Will repurchase after all!