December 20, 2014 | 975 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2008 11:28:00 PM More reviews by jamielee983

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am ALWAYS up to trying new mascaras, and I love the Volum' Express "Turbo" mascara, but I felt like the huge bristles and clumpy formula of the "Colossal" did nothing beneficial for my ultra blonde fine and thin lashes. Using it on the top lashes, I found that after a few hours it started flaking off, and not only in flakes, but in big ol' clumps. Using it on the bottom lashes - what a joke! The brush is so big, I could barely even get it to touch my bottoms without smearing and blackness all over my entire eye. Will not buy this product again, but would suggest it to those who like volume and dark coloring on their (already long, thick and dark) lashes for a short amount of time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 10:28:00 PM More reviews by xtinemax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought it because of the packaging. Big fat a yellow! Yes! I honestly didn't expect it to be so great. It made my lashes all thick and lush and didn't transfer onto my lid or flake off. I love seeing that big fat yellow thing in my makeup bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 10:21:00 PM More reviews by maxdog

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have long but incredibly plae lashes and this is FANTASTIC mascara. One coat for a gorgeous natural full look, 2 and WOW! Holy nighttime! Great in glam black.. this stuff rocks.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Meglet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just discovered this at the drugstore today and I LOVE IT! I got bold, big lashes instantly. I have to admit I have very long lashes, so long that people often compliment them. However, they are otherwise thin and light (I am a redhead). I love to wear the blackest of blacks, and Glam Black is perfect for me.

I love the fat packaging, because it is much easier for my arthritic hands (I have JRA) and gives me better grip and control.

I don't understand the complaints about the smell. It reminds me of Lancome mascara: subtle, fresh and flowery. I don't even smell it at all once it's on, but I do enjoy taking a quick whiff when I open the tube. I'd say the fragrance is an absolute plus in my book, and definitely not a negative. Wouldn't you prefer a mascara that smells a little bit pretty as opposed to one that smells like chemicals? And anything labeled "fragrance-free" does not always mean it doesn't have any chemical fragrance. In fact, MORE chemicals are added to the formulas of many items in order to neutralize the odor of other chemicals. So "fragrance-free" doesn't always mean "fewer chemicals"; sometimes it means MORE. (This is a bit of wisdom from a makeup counter lady at Nordstrom, though I cannot remember which counter she was at.)

As for the complaint that it doesn't come in waterproof: most mascaras launch in the regular version first, then release a waterproof formula a few weeks/months later. I don't know what the strategy is behind it, but that's what I've observed myself and been told by ladies at makeup counters as well.

So hang in there, because a waterproof version is almost certain to come out soon, especially if this first launch is as successful as it looks like it will be.

With that neon yellow packaging catching your eye, what glam girl can't resit the impulse buy? That's the best part of going to the drugstore! ;)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2008 6:09:00 PM More reviews by thea18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I actually really like this product. My lashes are thick, long, and dark when I use this mascara. (I have it in Glam Black, which is a true deep rich black.) It barely clumps. It also doesn't flake, which is a huge plus for me, unlike Covergirl Lash Blast, my former HG. Good mascara for dramatic lashes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2008 4:39:00 PM More reviews by longgoodnight04

I usually do not buy drugstore mascara but the yellow tube sucked me in and i am glad it did! it makes my lashes so crazy full! i love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2008 3:56:00 PM More reviews by miyoshi637

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It took me forever to find this mascara when it first came out. When I finally found it, I did a little happy dance. I came home, took off all my other eye makeup and tried this out. All I can say is "WOW!" with one coat, my lashes were a lot fuller and a bit longer. 2 coats it was even better! No clumps, no smudges, no flaking. I'm in love with this mascara. And it's even better because it is a cheaper drug store brand. I've never bought a mascara more then once, but I am on buying this once I run out of the one that I'm using. I had to take one lippie off because of the smell. I'm not a huge fan of flower smells, but thank goodness it doesn't last long at all when you put it on.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2008 4:50:00 PM More reviews by lpfun

Oh I have to say I really like this mascara...even the smell. Weird, I know, but there is something about it that smells refreshing to me. I also like the neon packaging. Ok, but down to the nitty gritty...it works. It gives me thick full lashes, that don't crumble, clump or irritate. One reviewer it the nail on the head by advising that you keep it heavy at the base of your lashes and then take it lighter at the tips. It's good stuff....(not like that crappy Great Lash).

EDIT: I'm over this. Discovered Max Factor's 2000 Calorie Lash Plumper and it blew this one out of the water. Especially b/c this one dried up waaaay too fast.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2008 4:42:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm surprised to see that this didn't get better reviews! Like others, I tried this after using CG Lashblast and finding it to be mediocre. I used it (the Maybelline) for 2 weeks and liked it well enough, but discovered that I *love* it just a few days ago. For the first couple weeks I used it, I did my usual routine of curling my lashes and then applying a couple/few coats of mascara. I found it to be pretty decent but maybe nothing to really rave about. Then just a few days ago, my son apparently was playing with my eyelash curler and now I have no i idea where it is. I panicked because I feel that I *have* to curl my lashes, but decided just to go ahead and apply the mascara without it. At least it would be better than nothing. Boy was I surprised to discover that using this mascara *without* an eyelash curler gave me the results I get when I *do* use one. In fact, I think the results are even better. I couldn't believe it. It curls, volumizes, lengthens and separates beautifully and that's *without* having to use a curler. I've never ever found a mascara that could do that. Needless to say, I'll be sticking with this one for quite a while! For reference, I have what I consider to be average lashes - not short but not long, not thin but not thick, and fairly straight. The formula does apply a bit thin but I don't have any problems with it. Also, it DOES have a strange synthetic type of smell which I'm not real fond of but it doesn't irritate my eyes or anything and goes away fairly quickly. Also, I'm not really happy with the fact that the only two color choice are Classic Black and Glam Black. I usually use a brownish black shade. AND there isn't a waterproof version and I can guarantee this would wear horribly in the rain or if you were crying or something. But for regular everyday wear, I love it.
UPDATE 1/7/09: I just bought my second tube of this after my first one ran out. This time I bought it in Glam Black for a more dramatic look. Either the formula is just much worse in Glam Black or they've tweaked the formula since it was first released. I noticed that it doesn't have the smell my first tube did, so I'm assuming it was tweaked. I've used it a few times now and it does NOTHING for my lashes. No volume, some lengthening, but very poor separation so I end up with spindle-y looking lashes. NOT what I was going for. If you bought this before and loved it, be forewarned that it may not work as well for you now.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by roxybritain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty amazing after one coat. I've used Maybelline mascaras in the past, and generally I've been satisfied. This one made my lashes pretty much double after a couple strokes. I'd buy this again.