September 21, 2014 | 1273 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2008 3:04:00 PM More reviews by AlleyCat415

So because this came out at a similar time to CG's Lash Blast, everyone seems to be comparing the two. They are in no way, shape (brush, literally) or form similar.
The stench.
Ok. Yes let's just add that to bajillion reviews before me that agrees this smells like dead roses. Whoever at Maybelline thought that was a good idea, you're an idiot.
Does it work? Yes. But I am about to say something shocking. I think the brush is actually too big. And that's a stretch. I actually prefer Volume Express.
I also, like others, have noticed that it dries out much faster than other mascaras.
It's a good mascara, but something's missing. And I can't place my finger on what.

----
I am updating this review to an almost turnaround. I must have gotten a really bad one from the first batch that came out. The inside of the tube even broke and rendered the rest of the masara useless. I wound up trying another one and the 2 tubes were incomparable. The smell was gone, even the packaging had changed, etc. Now this is brilliant and I find myself going to it more than my other mascaras.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by ridemeBIGsheldon

Well, this was disappointing. I picked up the sunny yellow tube hoping I would just adore it (ah, yes...package does play a role to me!).

Considering I find CG Lash Blast to be mediocre, I had high hopes. I usually like other Maybelline mascaras, but this one seems to fare worse than LB IMO.

The formula is somewhat thin to me. Not ideal for volume building. And yes, CG does have a large brush too, this one was even more unwieldy! And on mine, there is a spindley section that pokes out further, with no bristles apparent. I always end up poking the inside edge of my nose/eye with it, making for clean up when I'm done.

I didn't see much curl or lengthening action going on. My lashes (not to brag) are pretty long and lovely on their own. This seemed to pull them to a straight line. Uh...not flattering.

Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing. Ever. Even if all other mascaras disappeared.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2008 1:22:00 PM More reviews by doORdye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this out mostly to compare to CG's Lashblast. It does smell kinda funny which is one main reason I didnt like CG. This brush is better though, it does not clump as much as Lashblast. But what I dont like about it is it feels too heavy and throughout the day it flakes off! I wont be buying this one again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2008 11:54:00 AM More reviews by breezyboo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This used to be one of my favorites. It gives me super thick full soft lashes that look like falsies! I got this in glam black which I'm guessin is the blackest color for it, and I really liked how dramatic it made my lashes look with very minimal clumping.
Loved the packaging too, it looks sooo cute. Cuter than lashblast's gigantic radioactive carrot packaging.

But this mascara did not add a lot of length and made my eyelashes heavy by the end of the day, making me lose some of my curl. I LOVE having lotsa length, so the no length thing was a deal killer. I still really like it though, I definitely recommend this for volumizing and adding that drama to your eyes. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2008 9:20:00 AM More reviews by fae_nymph

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE this product. Thick, full lashes - avoid clumping by applying heavily to the base of the lashes and lightly on the ends.

HG product!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2008 2:34:00 AM More reviews by rebel_zionfire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Forget Lash Injection THIS is my new HG mascara. One coat and I have full, clump free, and lengthened lashes. It stays put all day and I have yet to experience any smudging or flaking. I can see how there might be issues for those who try and apply more than one coat but that's all you need with this one. I can't speak for its curling power since I have naturally curly lashes that don't require a lash curler for oomph. I can say that this certainly doesn't weigh down my lashes. It's also a breeze to remove unlike the Lash Injection. Oh and that smell? While it is strong it does dissipate within a matter of minutes. I did have to laugh to myself since I have the odd but accurate answer for all of you curious about the strange rose smell. It smells EXACTLY like Nasonex. For those of you not in the know this is an allergy relief nasal spray well known for giving you the lovely feeling of having a bouquet of flowers shoved up your nose in liquid form. If you're looking for a d/s mascara, and CG Lash Blast doesn't do it for you, then by all means pick this one up. After all it does have a huge reputation for always being on sale for dirt cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2008 1:32:00 AM More reviews by kjjamm808

I have very sensitive eyes and usually like brown mascaras as my eyes are a very dark brown. Got this in "Classic Black" and I love it! No irritation or sensivity and it lasts all day without smudging or smearing! Will definitely buy again!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2008 11:16:00 PM More reviews by satellitedreams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Bought this from work the other day, and I have to say that I am impressed! I usually only use it if I am going out, as I have long lashes normally, and it's a little intense for everyday use. It's smooth, goes on so easy, and makes my lashes look HOT. There's only one thing I hate about it, and that's the fact that it smells like death.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by kimball

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Glad I payed very little for this at CVS. I used it with primer, and maybe it would do better without it, but my lashes looked so bad I don't even want to try. All the other mascaras I try at least look decent with my lash primer, but this was all short, spidery lashes. I didn't love lash blast so much, but it could be managed and made to look pretty good-this stuff I can't see working with. It says not to let it dry between coats, but it did nothing much no matter how much I used. One thing it most certainly did not do is give me 9 times the volume. In fact, it gave me none. Sorry, but I can't recommend it. I'll give it to my daughter, the poor kid gets to try all the 'rejects' I have, and thanks to the fine girls (and guys!) on MUA, I'm spending more than ever on my makeup problem. Edit 10/26/08: got this back put, tried it and thought it wasn't horrible. The 3rd day, so all in all the 4th time I used it,the top piece that wipes the excess off broke off, rendering this unusable. I remembered reading this had happened three times to someone on this site. Never in my 40 years has this happened to me and I use makeup/mascara every single workday. This stuff needs to be removed from shelves and retooled package- wise.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this really didn't do anything for me - made my lashes clumpy and spikey. also - has kind of a strong floral scent.

def not worth the money!