October 25, 2014 | 1754 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

I love this mascara. I have been using it for going out at night, because I think that it can be a bit too much on me for the daytime. I like a more conservative mascara for work. This stuff is great for a dramatic look. I have medium to long, dark lashes, and I love mascara that really coats my lashes to the point of looking fake and Colossal definitely does that.

As other people have mentioned, it does smell terrible, but it only lasts a second. I could care less about smell as long as the product works and this does! I usually do two coats. The first coat tends to go on a little clumpy, as the formula is very thick (that's how I like it!). It just takes working the brush a little to prevent the clumps. It gives me super thick, dark lashes that really look too good to be true!

It holds up well, and I haven't had any problems with flaking or smudging. I think the fat brush gives me a great application, but you do have to be very careful not to hit your eye with the brush because it is so large, it can be hard to maneuver. Overall a great buy, and I will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2008 9:02:00 PM More reviews by lattevaniglia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a good mascara for everyday use, nothing colossal though. It thickens and lengthens lashes without the clumps, but in my opinion looks best with a lot of eyeliner or shadow (it wouldn't be very noticeable otherwise). Probably my HG mascara for the moment.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2008 12:55:00 PM More reviews by smilegrl188

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

1. It smells terrible.
2. DOES NOTHING for lashes. I have mid length/ normal thickness dark blonde/ light brown eyelashes and it actually made my lashes look WORSE than they did without mascara!
3. I got nothing but clumps, even when i wiped the wand off with a tissue.
4. No length. None. period.
5. Two slight coats gave spider lashes. and no, I didn't wait in between coats to let it dry.
6. Flakes off.
7. made my lashes feel crispy.
8. had a weird metallic sheen.
9. smudges like a raccoon.

I am so shocked to see that so many people like this mascara. I hated this mascara and warned all my girlfriend against its cute yellow and purple packaging. I will stick with Maybelline's Full and soft and Max Factors 2000 calorie instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2008 12:10:00 AM More reviews by centric

I bought the waterproof one in the darkest black I could find, and this is now my HG drugstore mascara! This makes my eyelashes actually STAND OUT, and I have short asian eyelashes. Does not smudge, flake, and stays put for the whole day. The brush is big and fat, very similar to the Diorshow brush and really gets all your lashes. The mascara does have a scent to it, which from what I understand is the collagen at work.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by xbridgette

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

EDIT: *****I know everyone has been complaining about the smell. Well, today I bought a face cream that has collagen in it. It smells EXACTLY THE SAME. That dead roses smell. It has to be the collagen that stinks....*****

This is the best mascara that I have ever used!
I got it at Walgreens in "Glam Black".
The day I tried it, my grandma even asked me if I was wearing false eyelashes. The volume and thickness I got was amazing!
The price is definately reasonable for the product.
I really like the bright yellow and purple tube (it's what caught my eye) and the shape of the brush.
The only complaint I have is the odd flowery smell. besides that, I will *definately* buy this again when I run out.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2008 11:28:00 PM More reviews by jamielee983

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am ALWAYS up to trying new mascaras, and I love the Volum' Express "Turbo" mascara, but I felt like the huge bristles and clumpy formula of the "Colossal" did nothing beneficial for my ultra blonde fine and thin lashes. Using it on the top lashes, I found that after a few hours it started flaking off, and not only in flakes, but in big ol' clumps. Using it on the bottom lashes - what a joke! The brush is so big, I could barely even get it to touch my bottoms without smearing and blackness all over my entire eye. Will not buy this product again, but would suggest it to those who like volume and dark coloring on their (already long, thick and dark) lashes for a short amount of time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 10:28:00 PM More reviews by xtinemax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought it because of the packaging. Big fat a yellow! Yes! I honestly didn't expect it to be so great. It made my lashes all thick and lush and didn't transfer onto my lid or flake off. I love seeing that big fat yellow thing in my makeup bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 10:21:00 PM More reviews by maxdog

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have long but incredibly plae lashes and this is FANTASTIC mascara. One coat for a gorgeous natural full look, 2 and WOW! Holy nighttime! Great in glam black.. this stuff rocks.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Meglet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just discovered this at the drugstore today and I LOVE IT! I got bold, big lashes instantly. I have to admit I have very long lashes, so long that people often compliment them. However, they are otherwise thin and light (I am a redhead). I love to wear the blackest of blacks, and Glam Black is perfect for me.

I love the fat packaging, because it is much easier for my arthritic hands (I have JRA) and gives me better grip and control.

I don't understand the complaints about the smell. It reminds me of Lancome mascara: subtle, fresh and flowery. I don't even smell it at all once it's on, but I do enjoy taking a quick whiff when I open the tube. I'd say the fragrance is an absolute plus in my book, and definitely not a negative. Wouldn't you prefer a mascara that smells a little bit pretty as opposed to one that smells like chemicals? And anything labeled "fragrance-free" does not always mean it doesn't have any chemical fragrance. In fact, MORE chemicals are added to the formulas of many items in order to neutralize the odor of other chemicals. So "fragrance-free" doesn't always mean "fewer chemicals"; sometimes it means MORE. (This is a bit of wisdom from a makeup counter lady at Nordstrom, though I cannot remember which counter she was at.)

As for the complaint that it doesn't come in waterproof: most mascaras launch in the regular version first, then release a waterproof formula a few weeks/months later. I don't know what the strategy is behind it, but that's what I've observed myself and been told by ladies at makeup counters as well.

So hang in there, because a waterproof version is almost certain to come out soon, especially if this first launch is as successful as it looks like it will be.

With that neon yellow packaging catching your eye, what glam girl can't resit the impulse buy? That's the best part of going to the drugstore! ;)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2008 6:09:00 PM More reviews by thea18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I actually really like this product. My lashes are thick, long, and dark when I use this mascara. (I have it in Glam Black, which is a true deep rich black.) It barely clumps. It also doesn't flake, which is a huge plus for me, unlike Covergirl Lash Blast, my former HG. Good mascara for dramatic lashes.